News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2010 - Archives

Started by squishy_ichigo, January 16, 2010, 11:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squishy_ichigo

This topic is for archiving of the Room of the Week topic.  You can also see the winners for each week.

[Week One: 1/16/10 - 1/22/10]
[spoiler=RotW: GF_Kennon][/spoiler]
[Week Two: 1/23/10 - 1/29/10]
[spoiler=RotW: Webber1900][/spoiler]
[Week Three: 1/30/10 - 2/5/10]
[spoiler=RotW: Bloodsonic][/spoiler]
[Week Four: 2/6/10 - 2/12/10]
[spoiler=RotW: Digital_Mantra][/spoiler]
[Week Five: 2/13/10 - 2/19/10]
[spoiler=RotW: Grime][/spoiler]
[Week Six: 2/20/10 - 2/27/10]
[spoiler=RotW: JamieWebb16][/spoiler]
[Week Seven: 2/27/10 - 3/5/10]
[spoiler=RotW: snarfblam][/spoiler]
[Week Eight: 3/6/10 - 3/12/10]
[spoiler=RotW: Sadiztyk Fish][/spoiler]
[Week Nine: 3/13/10 - 3/19/10]
[spoiler=RotW: FullOfFail][/spoiler]
[Week Ten: 3/20/10 - 3/26/10]
[Week Eleven: 3/27/10 - 4/2/10]
[spoiler=RotW: Silver_Skree][/spoiler]
[Week Twelve: 4/3/10 - 4/9/10]
[spoiler=RotW: Sadiztyk][/spoiler]
[Week Thirteen: 4/10/10 - 4/16/10]
[spoiler=RotW: Black Falcon][/spoiler]
[Week Fourteen: 4/17/10 - 4/23/10]
[spoiler=RotW: Daltone][/spoiler]
[Week Fifteen: 4/24/10 - 4/30/10]
[Week Sixteen: 5/1/10 - 5/7/10]
[spoiler=RotW: Black Falcon][/spoiler]
[Week Seventeen: 5/8/10 - 5/14/10]
[Week Eighteen: 5/15/10 - 5/21/10]
[spoiler=RotW: MetroidMst][/spoiler]
[Week Nineteen: 5/22/10 - 5/28/10]
[Week Twenty: 5/29/10 - 6/4/10]
[Week Twenty-One: 6/5/10 - 6/11/10]
[spoiler=RotW: Silver Skree][/spoiler]
[Week Twenty-Two: 6/12/10 - 6/18/10]
[spoiler=RotW: MetroidMst][/spoiler]
[Week Twenty-Three: 6/19/10 - 6/25/10]
[spoiler=RotW: DSO][/spoiler]
[Week Twenty-Four: 6/26/10 - 7/2/10]
[Week Twenty-Five: 7/3/10 - 7/9/10]
[Week Twenty-Six: 7/10/10 - 7/16/10]
[Week Twenty-Seven: 7/17/10 - 7/23/10]
[spoiler=RotW: DSO][/spoiler]
[Week Twenty-Eight: 7/23/10 - 7/30/10]
[Week Twenty-Nine: 7/31/10 - 8/6/10]
[Week Thirty: 8/7/10 - 8/13/10]
[Week Thirty-One: 8/14/10 - 8/20/10]
[Week Thirty-Two: 8/21/10 - 8/27/10]
[Week Thirty-Three: 8/28/10 - 9/3/10]
[Week Thirty-Four: 9/4/10 - 9/10/10]
[spoiler=RotW: Digital Mantra+Tyjet66][/spoiler]
[Week Thirty-Five: 9/11/10 - 9/17/10]
[spoiler=RotW: ProjectXVIII][/spoiler]
[Week Thirty-Six: 9/18/10 - 9/24/10]
[spoiler=Silver Skree][/spoiler]
[Week Thirty-Seven: 9/25/10 - 9/1/10]
[spoiler=BlackSnow2211][/spoiler]
[Week Thirty-Eight: 10/2/10 - 10/8/10]
[spoiler=Kasel][/spoiler]
[Week Thirty-Nine: 10/9/10 - 10/15/10]
[spoiler=Tyjet66][/spoiler]
[Week Forty: 10/16/10 - 10/22/10]
[spoiler=IMetroRat][/spoiler]
[Week Forty-One: 10/23/10 - 10/29/10]
[spoiler=Webber1900][/spoiler]
[Week Forty-Two: 10/30/10 - 10/5/10]
[spoiler=N/A]no submissions this week[/spoiler]
[Week Forty-Three: 10/6/10 - 10/12/10]
[spoiler=ProjectXVIII][/spoiler]
[Week Forty-Four: 11/13/10 - 11/19/10]
[spoiler=Webber1900][/spoiler]
[Week Forty-Five: 11/20/10 - 11/26/10]
[spoiler=ProjectXVIII][/spoiler]

squishy_ichigo

I haven't worked on this badboy in forever. I have my reasons, and you kiddies don't want to hear 'em.

I'll be getting back on this horse as soon as GF_Kennon's ROM map gets a bit closer to being done.  I'll be 'starting over' in a sense. (repointing everything, deleting ALL of the unneeded data from the original SM, and redoing some of the rooms) For a more professional game.

Lunaria

With or without: BTS, Slopes, enemies, PLMs? (Yes or no on all them is needed, derp)

Also, lol:
[spoiler][18:00] <+GF_Kennon> are you going to bitch about the room of the week contest
[18:00] <+GF_Kennon> yes or no
[18:01] <Lunamon> yes
[18:01] <Lunamon> doign a reply ATM
[18:01] <Lunamon> :awesome:
[18:01] <Lunamon> well
[18:01] <Lunamon> not bitch
[18:01] <Lunamon> just ask some questions on things that where not clear
[18:01] <Lunamon> the idea is great
[18:01] <+GF_Kennon> i dont like it jsyk
[18:01] <Lunamon> lol
[18:01] <+GF_Kennon> one every week
[18:01] <+GF_Kennon> its a bit much
[18:01] <Lunamon> that's a bit much yeah
[18:01] <+GF_Kennon> once a month would be better
[18:01] <Lunamon> once per monht i
[18:01] <Lunamon> a gopeasö gjsw
[18:01] <Lunamon> ninja
[18:01] <+GF_Kennon> if enough people say that
[18:02] <Lunamon> we change it?
[18:02] <Lunamon> :D
[18:02] <+GF_Kennon> Squishy might change his mind <_<[/spoiler]

In short: Support me and kennon today! Bitch on squishy to change it to once a month!  :D!:

RealRed

squishy_ichigo

To those that want it once a month: I'm sorry, but I'm not changing it atm.  If it doesn't work out in the months to come, THEN and only then will I change it.

plzkthx

MetroidMst

I also think once a month would be better. Once a week is way to often. Hackers are lazy, we won't have one room done every week, and to keep up we would almost have to show off every old room we've completed which equals a big no-no due to spoilers and stuff we want secret.

So I'm only going to put up one screen up a month anyway even if this thing goes every week.

Here is my entry.
It is a simple item room, with a... secret!

[spoiler]EDIT: It is what you're getting this time so deal with it.[/spoiler]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Lunaria

@MetroidMst: It have to be bitmap not a in-game screenshot.  :eyeroll:

Anyway, here is mine. I will maybe take part once a month... or not. Depends if I have anything or not.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
Yes... those things on the bottom are spikes

squishy_ichigo

I like the pic MetroidMst, but I'm not gonna include it if you don't 'level to bitmap' it.  Nothing personal, but rules are made to be followed.

I feel like a dick saying that. :<

edit: you could turn off bts and take the screenshot? That way we don't know where the stuff is and you still get to take part? :D

DSO

[spoiler=something you should know about the pic]MONTH[/spoiler]

GF_Kennon

Quote from: DSO on January 16, 2010, 03:20:32 PM
[spoiler=something you should know about the pic]MONTH[/spoiler]
QFT

anyway my entry

FullOfFail

Looking at your guy's hacks gives me low self-esteem :(

Here's an old one using Ceres. I'll try to have something new and better next week.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

begrimed

Here's my entry. Long room is looooooong.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

squishy_ichigo

kk, time for the opinions! :D

squishy_ichigo: not enough varity going on in there.  I liked the sloped tubes idea.  I hope after you "redo" some of the rooms it will have more going on in there. :<

Crys: I am assuming there is an item down there, otherwise it seems pointless to explore such an area. O.O  It has the usual Metroid feel to it.  Thats not bad at all, but its not very fun to look at. :<

DSO: More epic use of the original tileset.  Good show, but it just doesn't have enough going on to be the 'Room of the Week'! If GF_Kennon hadn't submitted anything, I would have voting this one. :D

GF_Kennon: I'm giving you my vote this week, but not even the winner is free of my criticism! ;P  I feel that the bottom middle could have more going on with it than just a flat wall. I'd complain about the same thing on the far right, but I looks to my eye that it would be in a red scroll area, so your spared there. :awesome:

FullOfFail: I've played with Ceres myself, and I know its hard to make things look epic with that tileset.  You did a good job, and it reminds me of Eris. It fails by comparison to the other screenshots this week though, saddly. :<

Grime: I love the tileset, and how you always make epicness with it. BUT... the bright red bg stuff drew me away from your stuff this week.  Without it, it would have surpassed GF_Kennon's pic, but saddly this falls into 3rd place imo. :)

Those are my opinions, don't be afraid to share yours as well kiddies! :D

devonodev

MY TURN!  :awesome:

Squishy: It seems like the kind of room that would look great in-game, but I'm only judging what I can see.  I think the long patches of grass/plant things in the wall look strange the way they are layed out.  I also think it looks.. to natural? In SMW, there are alot of flat surfaces, while your hack has slopes everywhere.

Crys: Do you have the brightness set to 'blazing', cause that's what it looks like.  Fairly good room design, and I'm interested in what's going on down the bottom there.

DSO: Is that all just pallet changes, cause it looks like a new tileset, but I can't find anything different about it.  It looks really great, but I can't comment too much on room design.. although I really like your use of layers.

GF: Wow, I really like that room.  Your room design, and those graphics are both excelent!  10 doors including an elevator, plus a pipe that could be a door?  It's alot different to anything in SM.  You got a very close 2nd from me.

FullOfFail: A very good, simplistic design.  We don't often get too many overhauls of Ceres, but you did a great job.

Grime: I don't know what it is.  It may be that dark red is my favourite color, but your tileset looks amazing.  I really like the shapes you've created to the right, and the rest of the room design is great also.  My only complaint would be that the doors just don't blend in too well.  You're my favourite for this week.

Oh, and I agree that once a month would be better.  However, if everyone else decides to enter a room just once a month, then maybe next week may be my chance.  :^_^:

squishy_ichigo

Quote from: devonodev on January 18, 2010, 06:23:12 AM
However, if everyone else decides to enter a room just once a month, then maybe next week may be my chance.  :^_^:

^-- This.

You kiddies realize you don't have to post a pic every week. You can choose when to.  And if we have different people post pics every week, it keeps it fresh and exciting!  One person might only post one every month, but another person might do the same thing, but on a different week.  And a third person might post twice a month!

Shortening how many times people can submit things will only make too many pics at the end of the month which would be a PAIN in the ass to vote on. "LOL THERE ARE 20 PICS TO CHOOSE FROM!" Not to mention you can only submit once during the time frame, so if you made a pic you wanted to submit instead, you'd have to WAIT!?!?! (the alternative that is editing your post, but then they already saw your other pic, and that just leads to unnecessary spoilerage. :P)

This is why despite all the bleh towards me, I had decided to let it run its course a few months first to see how it goes.

FullOfFail

squishy_ichigo - I absolutely adore this. I can tell it used a ton of different tiles and I like the level layout. That coin block in the bottom left is nifty too. I'd give 2nd place if this was ranked.

Crys - I like the tileset. The room layout isn't bad either. Those spikes and grable blocks look odd though, I'm assuming it's rust?

DSO - Loving the neon green you got mixed in there. It's funky! If you could get it to somehow glow ingame it would probably be epic. Gotta love rearranging the original tileset, move this here, move that there and WALLAH!

GF_Kennon - This is the all-around winnar imo. Obviously epic tiles, but more than that the room layout was nicely done. Having rocks in some places and black in others gives it a nice contrast. 1st place if ranked.

FullOfFail - Well, the computer screens aren't really right. I flipped them around to get that effect. Still have alot of polishing to do. In retrospect I should've entered a pic from my mini-hack since I use custom tilesets. But what's done is done.

Grime - Aesthetics, aesthetics, aesthetics! "The devil is in the details" Loving the coloration. The blend of the purple and red on black actually came out alot better than I would've guessed. It's definitely very alienish.

Silver Skree

Digital_Mantra

squishy_ichigo: Good room layout. Still very excited for this project to come into fruition,
like a piranha plant emerging from a pipe. Nice room and second place for my vote.

Crys: Minimal but good. That bit at the bottom looks like fun. There are several slope errors.

DSO: Norfair tiles whitened up with water in the background. Hmm. Kinda like Marble Shrine? :razz:
Still, you do better palettes than me and I like the segway feel of the room.
It's like emerging from a cave to find yourself slowly inching closer to an ancient ruin. Great stuff.

GF_Kennon: Awesome looking ruins. It's interesting to see some imported gfx. Third place.

FullOfFail: Nifty Super Computer! While ceres doesn't offer much, you cranked out some nice aesthetics.

Grime: First place. There's so much going on in that room that you really need to take it 1 screen at a time to truly appreciate the beauty of every detail. If all corridors had that much going on in them, exploration would never be boring.

FullOfFail

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on January 18, 2010, 02:56:40 PM
FullOfFail: Nifty Super Computer! While ceres doesn't offer much, you cranked out some nice aesthetics.

Yeah, you definitely can only do so much with Ceres. I tried to distinguish it from Eris, but it's inevitable that it gets compared. I probably should've posted the prison cells I made instead of that pic, I don't think anybody did that yet. I'll post something more custom next week to set my self apart from the crowd.

DSO

[spoiler=moar MONTHLY stuff]
Quote from: squishy_ichigo on January 18, 2010, 11:15:09 AM
Shortening how many times people can submit things will only make too many pics at the end of the month which would be a PAIN in the ass to vote on. "LOL THERE ARE 20 PICS TO CHOOSE FROM!"

With one picture per person, as is we'd probably see at most

Bloodsonic
GF_Kennon
MetroidMst
DSO
Squishy
Electrometer Prime
Grime
FullOfFail
Devonodev
Green_Crys
Black_Falcon
SADFISH
Silver Skree

There's some more like Nu_Zalem, Jathys, Card, Firepheonix and stuff but they're either busy with life or hardly post pics at all anyway. Assuming everyone in the list above posts every month, or if they don't then one of the unlikely ones take their place, I see likely 13 pictures every month with a slim change of being higher than that. Now...

"LOL THERE ARE 20 PICS TO CHOOSE FROM!"

I counter with:

"LOL THERE ARE 52 PICS TO CHOOSE FROM FOR THE ROOM OF THE YEAR!"[/spoiler]

Squishy Ichigo: Wins my vote for being the freshest thing brought to Super Metroid since... ever. It's so bright and cheery... and I'm still hoping for that beanstalk you keep saying you won't do >_>. I hope you'll fix those slope errors on the ceilings everywhere, otherwise that could be a minor annoyance in what should be the funnest hack ever.

Crys: It's interesting, but I hope you have Firefly FX going on in that room or something, or if the background really is going to be that bright, I might not like that. I'm a fan of the cramped level design there though, that tileset suits it.

DSO: Sadly, DMan is both right and not right here. However, it does benefit from the mystical powers of the glowpatch, but sadly you cannot see it in an image like this. Sorry, but it seems it's not to be for you.

GF_Kennon: Underground ancient ruins are the bomb. However, this is especially true when GF_Kennon makes them. What really does bug me is the clearly square nature of the "natural rock" inner wall tiles.

FullOfFail: Some may say you had the most uninteresting visuals out of the pictures provided, but not so for me. In fact, yours has the most interesting visuals, because that computer array looks like a huge evil mechanical sidehopper, or actually whatever Quadraxis in Metroid Prime 2 was. I'm serious, it looks like the computer formations around the dead bodies were what killed the scientists.

Grime: ... look at where the recharge PLMs are. Then scan a few blocks to the right until you come to the wall. See that thing sticking out of the wall? IT LOOKS LIKE AN ALIEN VERSION OF THE KILLER RABBIT FROM MONTY PYTHON. Good job on making sure I'll never risk using that recharge... Anyway, the room is alien, but I don't like the inclusion of the metal parts. Seriously, a place like that should all be biological, maybe even the whole world be sentient... But it appears to clash to me, having partially metal walking surfaces and then the rest just normal ground. It's as if some alien culture had started clearing out the room to make it more traversable then just decided "Eh, forget it" halfway.

Finally: Yay for contest turning into screenshot style beta-testing >_>

Lunaria

Unlike everyone else in this topic I will keep it simple, YEAH! :awesome:

I voted for Kennons as his looks the best and most fun to play of them all!

MetroidMst

I liked all of the entrants. Loved the SMW tileset. Enjoyed the squareness of GF-Kennon. Felt short compared to Grime's aliens. Already seen DSO's. I like verticle shafts with unexpected spikes at the bottom, plus an acual use for Grapple. (Bonus points!)

But I liked FullOfFail's the best. I'm not a huge fan of the huge computer actually. But I like that it just looks like a room with nothing in it, because that in itself makes it the perfect place to put an item. So FoF wins because he got the most bonus points from me.

FullOfFail

Quote from: MetroidMst on January 20, 2010, 04:48:27 PM
But I like that it just looks like a room with nothing in it, because that in itself makes it the perfect place to put an item. So FoF wins because he got the most bonus points from me.

It does actually have an item in it but since Ceres doesn't have a CRE I had do make it blend in with the scenery. It shows up like an tile instead of the item.

squishy_ichigo

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Pic from one of my unnamed dead projects...

It was a space station based hack.  Eh...

edit: changed the pic to a version without the bts... as people were complaining on irc.

FullOfFail

Older pic. The right is a experimentation table, the left is jail cells. Those are dead bodies in the cells if you can't tell.

[spoiler][/spoiler]