News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2010 - Archives

Started by squishy_ichigo, January 16, 2010, 11:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSO

Big rooms seem to be always stealing the show lately... looks like our overlooked little rooms need to up the ante.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Digital_Mantra

We should have ROTW contests now and then where you can only submit a 1x1, or a corridor, or shaft only sorta thing. Would spice things up.

And DSO, that room is beautiful.

FullOfFail

It'd be too hard to regulate it like that. Plus it's the value of a room not it's size.

Well, here's mine.:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

begrimed

Smaller room? I can do smaller rooms. Here's an oooold one from Dream Sequence.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

... which I'm tempted to restore and use for the full hack at some point.

Charmander106

Not too big a room but... well here you go.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Scyzer

Quote from: DSO on May 09, 2010, 05:53:36 PM
Big rooms seem to be always stealing the show lately... looks like our overlooked little rooms need to up the ante.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Fuck me that is amazing =O

Charmander106

Voted Grime cause I love demonic scenery.

Quietus

I really liked Webber's room too, but somehow DSO managed to make monochrome tiles look great, and therefore gets my vote.

Lunaria

Webbers room was great this time around too... but more then so, I like DSOs rooms.

IIRC I claimed that you could never use that BG in a good way a while back. Well this proves me wrong on so many levels. :P

FullOfFail

Commentary:

[spoiler]

DSO - Well, that BG must've used half the tileset alone. It's nice though, no complaints there. But I think due to the BG being so bright, it makes the grey parts look odd. I think what would really beef this room up is if you played with shadow effects and made the parts out of the light slightly darker. The general tile placements are good, the only part that looks odd to me is that black part by the lower right orange pipe. The black could use a grey block. Or expand the black by placing a cliff. If it's not noticeable ingame, then dont even worry about it though.

FullOfFail - Just me experimenting with the original green Brinstar tileset. It's a meh room, but ok for what it is imo. I need to get some crateria cliffs and make them brown, that might add alot to it *takes note*. The BG trees are fugly though, those will get removed, or highly altered.

Grime - My favorite part about this room is the center. You can look at it as a Devil or Dragon if looking up. Or you can see it as some type of serpent if looking down. Usually you post more aesthetically pleasing stuff. I think this could use more detail to spice it up, maybe in Layer2.

Webber - I like pretty much every tiny detail about this room. You did a very good job making the bricks blend in with the cliffs. I'm always a fan of that because it makes it feel like ancient ruins buried in time. The lights look good too, I view them as like candles at the bottom in the BG. I also like the columns, it compliments that ancient ruins part I was talking about. I really don't have any complaints.

[/spoiler]

And the winrar goes to:

[spoiler]
Webber
[/spoiler]

MetroidMst

Sadly, I see no ideas whatever posted about this room in paticular. But I have some! Keeping them to myself of course. (Maybe that is why no one has ideas about it? An universe ending paradox...) There are so many good things to be done. Maybe this will start a new hacking craze.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[attachment deleted by admin]

begrimed

Silver Skree

What, zeke, no poll?  :<_<:
You're gettin' bad at this.

In any case, my vote goes to Mst, in the case that we're counting the votes post by post this week. Minimalism is cool and all, but that's a really neat idea MM has there and furthermore pretty colors so yup.

personitis

Zeeeeeeeeeeke... poll. :)

I'll have to say Mst as well. Colorful. I'll also submit something next week of my ever so slow Rebuild...

Zhs2

My computer was doing the kachunk-a-dunk last night that signalled its imminent bluescreen, so I forgot all about it. Have fun!

DSO

FullOfFail

MetroidMst: The thing that stands out to me the most is the red/orange glass tube. I've said before I'm a fan of bright colors, and you never fail to deliver. If I were to get picky, I'd say the balls spread throughout the room could use some structure, but since it seems you're using BG and not layer 2 this is irrelevant. It's pretty obvious which room this is to a fellow hacker, and I've never messed with it myself.

Grime: I like the spiked wire walls. I like that one bubble that looks like it's coming out of the tube on the bottom left (hard to explain in text). Overall it seems to be lacking, not on aesthetics, but just in general layout. It just needs...something. The hand at the right is nice too, I can see me kickumping to get back out the door.

MetroidMst won this one for me.

MetroidMst

I guess I will give my two cents, since I only need two of them.

Grime: I like this room. I like the simplicity of it after seeing some of the mind-dizzying entries the past few weeks. (Some from yourself.) This room just plain rocks to me. I do have one complaint though, and this is just my personal taste speaking. I would not have a visible floor on the bottom. I think a floor of invisible solid tiles would be great for this room. Just having bubbles and plants growing out of nothing is awesome. (In my opinion.) Otherwise I think the room is just about perfect because it looks like a room that no one will notice. Get in, get item, get out. No complaining playing the room about difficult puzzles or anything, just a room that is set up right for the player. I don't know if you have enemies in it or not, but I like to think it just has an item.

MetroidMst: For those wondering, that is really the room with the brain and not me copying it for some other purpose. Basically, I wanted Mother Brain in Fear. Not for story or anything like that, I just feel the Mother Brain should be a definite boss fight. Of course, everyone here has probably done the same fight a million times from the original SM and in hacks. So the thought crossed my mind, what could I do with Mother Brain that is simple enough but totally different? And I let my imagination run with it...

personitis

Zeke, maybe I should send you PMs when you need to do these things.

Anyways, here's my room! ^-^
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Lunaria

Working on a new tileset... might as well show what I have here... :P
[spoiler]

Here are in-game shots too: 1 2[/spoiler]

Daltone

Edit: a small part was unfinished
[spoiler][/spoiler]

squishy_ichigo

God Zeke, you are worse then I am at remembering....

But I've returened finally so I'll be taking this show back from you.
* squishy_ichigo kicks Zhs2 out of the topic

:awesome:

begrimed

Parabox

Grime you make me wanna play that area with all that posting of it of yours.

FullOfFail

hmm, alot of good entries this week.

[spoiler][/spoiler]