News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2010 - Archives

Started by squishy_ichigo, January 16, 2010, 11:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunnargumpert

ok guys, i like you Grime and i like you DarkSamus.

but, even grimes tileset is the best i've ever seen, i'll vote for dark samus

DarkSamus: You did a realy good job, you finished work.

Grime: Like i sayd - The best Tileset ever, but in the middle (- left) you lost some details. the room goes straigth down. you should have takrn you only 10 minutes more - you would be the winner.

All in all: Both of the Rooms are amazing and I'll choose DarkSamus's Picture

EDIT_01
Shit: 5:5 - That could be bad

Enny

Dark Saumus had a better layout, but I didn't like the flatness of the graphics, it seemed a little unrealistic. Plus, when Grime showed me his, it was one of the few palettes I didn't end up bitching about (which is rare)

Silver Skree

I am going to laugh so, so hard if DarkSamus wins, in spite of the fact that he got banned this week.

By the way, I voted for Grime, but it was a tough call. I want to vote for DarkSamus now though  :lol:

squishy_ichigo

He'll be back in a few days, it was a just a few days ban.

Silver Skree

I know... That doesn't make it any less ironic.
...fucking lol...

gunnargumpert

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on July 07, 2010, 09:19:51 AM
He'll be back in a few days, it was a just a few days ban.

and why did you ban him?

Phazar

It's only a 2-day ban, just to warn him to stop spamming and pointlessly bumping.

Now, as for the rooms, it's very close.  While Grime has a great palette, DarkSamus' room really stands out for me with its features.  I'm voting for DarkSamus, but I absolutely love both rooms.

gunnargumpert

i think you guys are tryin to make a 50:50 !?

always, if 1 member has 1 vote mor, the other member is choosen

there can't be 2 rooms of the week.

snarfblam

Quote from: gunnargumpert on July 07, 2010, 02:20:50 PM
if 1 member has 1 vote mor, the other member is choosen
Yeah. Wait... what?

Silver Skree

There can certainly be two winners.

Each of the wins goes into a vote at the end of the year between 52 rooms (good lord!). A tie would mean we'll just have 53 rooms. Either that, or we run a tiebreaker during the next submission period.

I'd actually like to see them both win, though. They're evenly matched with different strengths and weaknesses in each.

Hiroshi Mishima

Wow, I can't remember the last time I saw a RotW discussion get so many actual replies. Anyways, here's my take on the entries.

Grime: Pretty much what Squishy said in his own critique of the room. It's beautifully done, the palette looks great, and you have this harsh-looking alien landscape where I could totally see xenomorphs making a nest in or at the very least hiding in shadows for unsuspecting lesser creatures and Ripley female bounty hunters to come strolling into. I realize that some might be a little distracted by the emptiness of the midsection of the room, but for me that mirrors the sort of design I see in Super Metroid itself, so I can not fault you for that. It is natural, functional, and downright beautiful.

DarkSamus: I don't dislike this room, and as others have said, you do show signs of putting thought into your rooms despite being relatively new. You're also using vanilla for the most part, at least I can't see any new tiles besides the doors, and I know the Wrecked Ship isn't always the easiest to worth with. I like the rusty colouring you gave to the moss. As has been said that is a nice alternative. However, I'm not as keen on the silvery gray colour. It looks more gray and less silvery. It doesn't feel so much metallic as it does painted grey. It makes the whole room feel like I'm looking at a Chozo Statue for some reason, I can't really explain that too well. Removing the BTS Layer before taking a snapshot would have been nice too, but I really shouldn't penalize you for that. If you'd tweaked the metallic colouring on the palette a bit more, removed the recharge stations (they seem out of place), and maybe.. hmm, yeah. In the left side of the room near the Chozo.. you have a 1x2 tile going downwards and a 1x1 tile under that. I personally think it would have looked nicer if you'd used a 1x3 like you used just to the right of it, it would have looked nicer. Also the way you have little empty sections above the door.. that doesn't quite look right to me. It doesn't feel natural. Maybe throw in some busted tiles/wires to make it look like there was damage?

But yeah, I'm going with Grime. DarkSamus did a good job, but I honestly think the room could use a little more work.

squishy_ichigo

Quote from: Hiroshi Mishima on July 07, 2010, 07:38:29 PM
Ripley

Was that an Alien reference? nice

Also, on the roty thing, we are gonna have a nomination of sorts, not gonna vote on all 52 rooms.  This way it will be more manageable.

Power Missile

Grime's room looks as if tentacles are going to grab you.  It makes it a little more creepy.  It's like an alien cave.

DS's room... well it is nice, but I'm not too fond of Fusion doors.  They look out of place.  The sky blue lights doesn't really work with me either.

That said, Grime wins.

EDIT: Huh, is it 2009 all over again?  YES! AN EXTRA YEAR BEFORE 2012! Heh.  But on a serious note, am I voting for a room from last year?

Hiroshi Mishima

...sky blue lights.. wow, you know, I totally didn't notice those originally. I guess they're blending into the gray too much. Perhaps that is why it looks so odd to me. A contrasting (or enhancing) colour choice might have been a better call.

X-tradyte

Yeah, probably would have been better. But oh well, As long as we're happy.

Chozunsda

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Small Layer 2 trick here.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

X-tradyte

I'll post another one this week again, this one is better  :^_^:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Katelyn

YOU BROKE THE PICTURE AGAIN SAIFJSADGHKDSAJGKLSDF  :FURY:

You don't [img] a post, genius. >_>

Phazar

Surprise!  I actually have a room this week!  Made quite a while ago, but still good.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

snarfblam

I'll post some real nestroid.

[spoiler]
Those guys on the bottom (gamets?) are the ones that fly up and at Samus, but they don't respawn like they normally would.
[/spoiler]

Charmander106

Another random room for the week.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

zephyrtronium

First MZM room submitted. :flap:

[spoiler]
The bottom is unedited because DH will not edit the bottom. Oh well.[/spoiler]

begrimed

[spoiler][/spoiler]
Wow, lots of people entering this time. HAVE AT YA'LL.

IMetroRat

My room for you guys on IRC you've already seen it. :<_<:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

ProjectXVIII

My room.
[spoiler][/spoiler]