News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2010 - Archives

Started by squishy_ichigo, January 16, 2010, 11:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katelyn

Quote from: gunnargumpert on July 18, 2010, 07:30:53 AM

did you mean my room? how could this room not be curvy enough?

You have places that go straight down.

gunnargumpert

Quote from: Shadox on July 18, 2010, 09:33:35 AM
Quote from: gunnargumpert on July 18, 2010, 07:30:53 AM

did you mean my room? how could this room not be curvy enough?

You have places that go straight down.

oh, i understand - but that's important for infinitive walljumps - you can't walljump slopes

X-tradyte

Gunnar, I see an error. One of your corner tiles need to be double and its singled. You should fix it.

Katelyn

Quote from: DarkSamus on July 18, 2010, 12:33:22 PM
Gunnar, I see an error. One of your corner tiles need to be double and its singled. You should fix it.

* Shadox facepalms.

If you read a little you would know the room is gone.  >_>

Smiley

I won't win with this, but oh whatever...

The (hopefully) first landing site using tileset 26!
[spoiler=HUGE!][/spoiler]
I really need to remake the landing pad...

gunnargumpert

very good work smileuser - But there should be a few more details. but i like it

Quietus

Looks nice and different, actually.  I'd try and perform more of a merge of the yellow squares and the terrain, but overall I like it.  I particularly like the morph tunnel in the middle at the bottom.

Quietus

I liked DSO's, but it's very similar to a previous entry, so I went with SMILEuser.

X-tradyte

Another week already. Wow! Anyhow,

My vote goes to SMILEuser96, Would have chose Gunnar but I dislike the grass on ceiling. So yeah, SMILEY gets the vote.

Katelyn

DarkSamus, your layer 2 looks awful.

DSO, your room looks good. The only complaint I have is that your bg looks repeating and a little boring.

Grime, I love that room <3

Gunnar, you have a few file errors, and looks too much like redesign. I dislike redesign.  ._.

SmileUser, your room looks good for what I see.

Note for DarkSamus: don't post rooms every week. Post rooms when you make a really good room.

My vote goes to Grime.

X-tradyte

My Layer 2 shows up like the landing site. I'll post an img when I get the courage to.

Smiley

DarkSamus:
Use more slopes. And fix that background! There are also some BTS errors, but other than that, it's a nice room.

DSO:
Nice use of the tiles, but I'm not so sure about the background...

Grime:
Try to submit something different. All your rooms look the same.

Gunnar:
Use more slopes. Also, try to make rooms in your own, unique style. Don't make rooms that look like Redesigns.

SMILEuser96:
I should have merged the yellow bricks to the terrain before submitting. Also, should have given more detail to the small cave in the right.
(Both things are done now though.)
Also, has anyone seen the little easter egg? It has something to do with the stars.

Hmm... the voting is really hard this time. I don't want to vote on myself... oh hell, DSO or Grime, DSO or Grime...
Oh well, it went to DSO.

begrimed

Voted for DSO.

DarkSamus: Palettes are interesting; the orange-ish foreground and purple sky look nice together. But the choppy background tile errors or whatever that is and the frequent BTS slope errors are holding it back.

DSO: I've said it over IRC, but I'm not all that fond of these "images converted to 16-bit color for use as backgrounds" backgrounds. Despite that, the foreground layering detail is pretty great and is what won the vote. I also dig the light gray palette you used for the rocks. They go well with the BG colors.

Grime: Hey, that elevator shaft at the bottom of the room looks cool.

gunnar: Mmmmmeh. The level design itself isn't bad, but you've really gotta get over your Redesign fetish and start coming up with more of your own material. Try painting a tileset FROM SCRATCH without referencing any other tilesets. Draw from the animation. Or heavily edit Super Metroid's GFX, again, without looking at how other people have made edits. Surprise us.

SMILEUser: The level design itself is nice. Room has a nice 'flow' about it and feels natural, but the lack of foreground detail and tile variation bothers me a little, along with the CRE platform structure in the center. Keeping in mind the original SM didn't use very much foreground detail either, it's not that lost my vote. This would have gotten it were DSO's foreground not so broner-inducing.

Quote from: SMILEUser96All your rooms look the same.
Oh come on now. Just 'cause a lot of my submissions have used the Temporus or brown Crateria tilesets? =P Though I guess I can see where you're coming from.

As for the 'games being art' debate. All games pretty much are, or there would be no visuals.

snarfblam

Quote from: gunnargumpert on July 19, 2010, 12:27:16 PM
i totaly understand, that you guys dislike this redesign thing, but what should i do? it's not possible to make my style like eris - the leveldesign is awsome, but i dislike the palettes and the geometry. i more and more looks like art - not a game.
Gunnar, you really need to stop thinking about your hacks in terms of other people's hacks. Try being experimental. Try playing with different ideas. This is how you develop your own style, rather than thinking in terms of Redesign or Eris. Don't look to other hacks for ideas. It's fine to be inspired by another hack, but you need to express that inspiration with your own style.

DarkSamus, it's not bad. It's not novel either, and the tile work isn't quite as seemless as it could be. But not bad.

DSO, the room looks cool. Pretty inspired. I'm just not sure exactly how that BG would look in-game.

Grime, the room looks awesome, but I'm feeling a little deja-vu. I really like what's going on at the bottom though.

Gunnar, I'm not knocking it, but I'm not terribly impressed. It's decent, but hardly compelling. Still, sorry to hear you lost your work to a virus. I lost 1/2 my work on my Nestroid hack after a hard drive failed. Man did that suck.

SMILEuser96, the graphics are simple, but used to good effect. I like it.

Crashtour99

On topic:  voted for SMILEuser96    Something about the usage of this tileset I really liked.

Off topic:  nevermind   :lol:  post for a different topic 

Smiley

Are we gonna get a 50/50/50... no, wait, 33/33/33 this week?

Quietus

No, because by the time you post a reply, somebody else will have voted, and placed one room in the lead.  :heheh:

GF_Kennon

Ohh, this week is a tough one kinda, but I think ima have to vote DSO this week, I do like that FG Palette.

Black Falcon

I voted Grime because I know how kickass this room looks ingame! ;D

Phazar

I'm too lazy to write a full opinion of all the rooms, so I'll just talk about the one I voted.  DSO, I voted for you because of that awesome BG.  The level design is also very well done.

ProjectXVIII

DarkSamus: I like palette, but the grass and door bubble colors look kinda wierd. Also, you should make your room a bit more natural looking, as right now, it has a lot of right angles and long, flat surfaces.

DSO: Awesome looking room. Great palette, nice layering, and overall nice layout. One complaint though, the background looks repetative. Not sure how it looks in-game though.

Grime: Nice, Grimy looking room. I especially like the way it transitions from green to red.

gunnargumpert: Looks a lot like Redesign. You should use more slopes in certain places, specifically, on the left side, as it looks awfully flat in many places. Also, what's with the grass on the ceiling? :P

SMILEuser96: Nice use of the save/map room tiles. The CRE thing in the middle seems kind of boring though. Not much else to say really.

And the winner is... DSO. Great looking room!

gunnargumpert

Quote from: Project XVIII on July 22, 2010, 12:52:25 AMAlso, what's with the grass on the ceiling? :P

why not? plants aren't just growing a the bottom. it looks a lot better - i like it

Lunaria

I voted for SMILEuser96 this week. While I like both Grimes and DSOs screenshot, I generally think I would enjoy playing his room more.

Daltone

[spoiler][/spoiler]
colors are still a wip...

X-tradyte

That's the best useage of that tileset that I've seen in my life.