News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

The DOOM Topic

Started by GF_Kennon, May 20, 2009, 11:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhs2

Uhhhh? If need be, I already have a server in mind where bullshit isn't tolerated. You can expect the details next time we play, if we get something set up.

Malpercio

or i has TS3 server. it's pretty much set up already, some minor channel edits and we're good.

i've also figured out why i cant ever host anything. my stupid Router/ISP is proxy'ing me. so now, forwarded ports ftw!

Parabox

Parabox

B-b-b-bump and double post all-in-one, you muthas.

Anyways, I suggest a Doomfest again. Every Doomer be there. James, me, Project, Recon/Nark, Phazar, Malperce, you know you're a Doomer.

So sign up, discuss what we're gonna play, how (I prefer co-op), when, oh YOU KNOW THE DRILL.

Brandals

Looks AWESOME! I wanna play!

JAM

Bump!
I want to play co-op. Inviting all doomers! I can play from 18:00 to 0:00 (server time). Who else can in this time? How about this weekend or Friday?

Zhs2

Hmm, I'll have to drag everyone into irc.esper.net/doom tomorrow night then. That sounds like a plan! :D

JAM

Why not? =)
What port to use? Zdeamon or Skulltag? I prefer second (we can play survival co-op, which is cool), but I can play ZDeamon too.

I have to say right now, that I'm using 33k dial-up and lowest ping is about 300..400 (for European servers). So, can we play at european one?

As for wads, I want to start from classic Doom (1 and 2) as I don't have a lot of custom wads and besides of that, classic doom don't causes too much problems with my bandwidth. And also, today was the first time after 3 year break from Doom. Hard to play, but plausible.

Zhs2

Jesus Christ your ping is crazy. If there's a server to connect to, it will be hosted privately on my server on the east coast with only a few players. Skulltag is the preferred engine of choice, of course. /;

JAM

I downloaded the latest SkullTag and have tested it yesterday, passing ep. 4 of Ultimate Doom. Everything is fine, so I can join.

There is also a funny mod called Exterminator. The main purpose is to kill all enemies under timelitit (PAR*5). Also cool with main wads in Survival mode

I'll return tomorrow at 19:00..20:00 (server time). Can join to irc using IDE, LOL. Please, PM me when and where will we play

Zhs2

yeah, I saw you join the right channel. Unfortunately I had to go out to dinner tonight, so sorry about that... Check back often, I'll suggest we do something tomorrow night for sure.

JAM

It was fun =)
How about playing wad of PSX doom with same conditions?

In PSX version, Doom 1 and Doom 2 are mixed in single game, 59 leveled megawad. Some levels are castrated a bit, some aren't present (due to engine limitation), but there are 7 completly new levels.

And because this is a single game, there are some monsters from Doom 2 in Doom 1 levels, such as Pain Elemental in the secret area of E1M1 and Revenants in Episode 2

But I need 1 day to download the correct wad (there are several similar projects).
How about PSXTC.zip and PSXTCMUS.zip?
TC means "total conversion"

Digital_Mantra

Quote from: JAM on February 11, 2011, 03:12:55 AM
It was fun =)
How about playing wad of PSX doom with same conditions?

In PSX version, Doom 1 and Doom 2 are mixed in single game, 59 leveled megawad. Some levels are castrated a bit, some aren't present (due to engine limitation), but there are 7 completly new levels.

I have that, isn't the dark ambient music awesome?

JAM

Digital_Mantra
Indeed it is... That ambient music gives more creepy feelings when playing. Will you join us?

Looks like, I'll miss this week. Will sleep in the time you guys usually playing.

A few days ago, I saw a very rare thing. Prorably 2nd or 3rd time in my life. It's better to show than to explain:

[spoiler=For these who in tank]I was running away from Imps and Demons. Imp fired, but missed me and hurt the Demon. Demon wants to make a revenge and run over the Imp, trying to bite it, but instead of this, he bit another Demon[/spoiler]

Malpercio

we should totally play again this weekend. i vote Memento Mori on Saturday and perhaps Memento Mori 2 on Sunday? or Friday/Saturday? whichever works better

Parabox

JAM: That's called monster infighting, unless you mean this specific occurrence of it. All creatures of Demon and lower (you should have a grasp of what creatures those are by now - Knee Deep makes the hierarchy pretty clear) are 'stupid' enough to fight each other if they hit each other.

Also, you might be going for that 'Doom on DOS 6.3' look, but there is a possibility within most clients to change brightness et all.

Zhs2

Any monster type will infight with their own monster type if they end up accidentally hitting one another with a melee attack. Hitscanning monsters always cause infighting with the things they shoot. I think exploding barrels can also get monsters of the same type infighting as well.

Reconite

Everyone knows about monster infighting, but I'm wondering if he meant the Pinky vs Pinky infighting, which is a damn rare thing because they can only use melee attacks.

JAM

Quote from: Parabox on February 23, 2011, 01:37:18 AM
JAM: That's called monster infighting, unless you mean this specific occurrence of it. All creatures of Demon and lower (you should have a grasp of what creatures those are by now - Knee Deep makes the hierarchy pretty clear) are 'stupid' enough to fight each other if they hit each other.
Well, except the bullets (fair to all), Demon attacks and Lost Soul attacks. And it's hard to say that Spider Mastermind doesn't have enough brains...

Quote from: Reconite on February 24, 2011, 03:21:07 AM
Everyone knows about monster infighting, but I'm wondering if he meant the Pinky vs Pinky infighting, which is a damn rare thing because they can only use melee attacks.
Exactly. Infighting of different types I can observe often enough, but it's very rare to see that one demon bites another one by mistake.

Quote from: Zhs2 on February 23, 2011, 01:42:34 AM
Any monster type will infight with their own monster type if they end up accidentally hitting one another with a melee attack. Hitscanning monsters always cause infighting with the things they shoot. I think exploding barrels can also get monsters of the same type infighting as well.
I thought, that was fixed in version 1.2 of original Doom. I saw a demo when one Baron shoots at barrel and explosion damages another one in version 1.1. Thus, both Barons are killed each other in level E1M8. Pretty nice to observe.

And another video is when Cacodemon hurts yourself by barrel explosion and commit suicide by gulping fireballs instead of spitting them. Again, in version 1.1

P.S. Happy millenium, Zhs2 =)

passarbye

damn you guys are hardcore!

i'd rather play Quake 3 myself, because it has better graphics and the gameplay is about the same.

Quietus

Zhs2

>gameplay in Quake 3
>about the same
pffffffffftahahahahahahahaahahahahaha

Technically, I think everyone moves twice as fast and the weapons do a whole lot more hurt. You can see this very plainly from how I served up Project, Kom, Antares, and zephyrtronium on a platter :)

GF_Kennon

I suppose I should post this here then, I started this a while back and was waiting till I had more episodes available but ah well.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0766D7926B984022 :D, currently 4 episodes, and already one copyright claim >_>

zephyrtronium