News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

The DOOM Topic

Started by GF_Kennon, May 20, 2009, 11:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parabox

Alrighty, time to wipe the dust off this pile of guts you whippersnappers call a thread.

Lately I've been investigating into commercial Doom WADs that were at least of average quality and I'm here to report my findings.

I think we all know HacX: Twitch 'n Kill. It had to compete with Quake for attention, and lost miserably. Even worse, the production of this pretty unique TC was rushed because of it, and the game was left unfinished. In 2008, an old team leader, Dr. Nostromo, released that WAD for free and announced that a 2.0 was in the works. With modern tools and all the time on their hands, they restarted development on their old game, and have been releasing release clients to the public. The current version is r61.
As far as I can tell, major upgrades have already been made. MAP01-06 have been overhauled, MAP01 is at least twice its original size, and the tazer (shotgun replacement) is now unique and far less shoddy. I haven't played far into this yet, but it looks very promising.

The Lost Episodes of DOOM was an episodic commercial WAD for Ultimate DOOM taking place on Jupiter. It came with a 264-page book describing the levels. A modernized, optimized and free version can be found here.

For those that like the Master Levels for DOOM II, there is the Master Levels Menu Interface, which emulates the DOS choice menu that originally came with the game. TEETH.WAD must be copied and edited. TEETH.WAD should only contain MAP31-related data, and TEETH2.WAD should only contain MAP32-related data. Then, just drop the WADs into the pk3's maps folder (and zip it back up).

Incidentally, Tom Mustaine, who made one of the maps included with the Master Levels, has released the Perdition's Gate megaWAD, which Romero had interest in to include it with Final DOOM (TNT Evilution/Plutonia). It had a twin sister in Hell to Pay. Perdition's Gate can be downloaded here and Hell to Pay here.

On an unrelated note, I made a file that fixes the music in No Rest for the Living, which can be gotten here, a Rise of the Triad remake/reboot has been announced for the low price of $15, and it's looking good. Rise of the Triad Exclusive Reveal Trailer [HD]
On that note, I'd like to point out that version 1.6 of Return of the Triad, a ROTT TC for Doom has been released. 

Doom 4 has been mentioned in Carmack's keynote speech at QuakeCon this year, this screenshot has surfaced
In his keynote speech, Carmack apologized for RAGE and said that Doom 4 will play more akin to oldschool Doom. This, combined with the new ROTT trailer, hopefully means id Software will be making awesome games again.

Quietus

I really hope Doom can have a return.  Doom 3 for me fell into the same category as a number of other games for me, in that they were good, but just didn't feel like they fit the original title.  If Doom 4 can be a proper return to the old days, I'll be very happy. :^_^:

Zhs2

Quote from: ParaboxIn his keynote speech, Carmack apologized for RAGE
Why apologize for RAGE? They wanted to make a different sort of FPS, and I don't really blame them for it. It was pretty decent. Now, Doom 3 should have garnered an apology, but it looks like they're going to make up for that boring piece of shit with the BFG Edition, which gives you enhanced graphics and detail using an engine rivalling id tech 5, a checkpoint system, an armor mounted flashlight, and copies of Doom II and Doom included in the purchase. Let's hope it's worth a purchase too!

Parabox

Because RAGE was really buggy all the time, and it was really short while they tried to make it story-heavy. The funniest thing is that they tried to let themselves be inspired by Quake 1 the most.

Quietus

Quote from: Parabox on August 08, 2012, 09:35:24 AMThe Lost Episodes of DOOM
I tried this, and it actually seemed pretty good.  Then I got to the room with an invincibility in the middle, which seemed OK...

Then I moved forward and saw three Cyberdemons on each side of me.  SIX Cyberdemons in one room?  Not impressed. :stern:

Mind you, it could be [noembed]worse[/noembed]. :^_^:

Malpercio

I had decent fun in RAGE, and graphically it looked a lot better than most games, but it was far too short.
Far too easy, too, if my normal mode experience is any indication.

Quietus

Bumpity-bump. :^_^:

Since I'm playing through Doom 3 again at the moment, here seemed like as good a place as any to ask: I'm looking for any information on quality maps / missions / episodes for Doom 3 or its expansion - single-player stuff.

Parabox

Classic Doom 3 is pretty cool. There also was a demo for a HeXen fan reboot, but no idea how far that is now, or how good it is since Doom 3 never ran properly on my system. Would personally check any and all significant 'revival' style mods, but maybe that's not what you want.

Quietus

To be honest, not really.  I've already done some trawling through sites to find single player stuff, but seem to get nowhere decent that displays what I'm after.  I'm essentially after a continuiation of the main game.  Single maps, multiple maps together in a bundle, or entire episodes / missions.  I just seemed to be going round in cirlces, so was hoping for some inspiration, or a good place to start.

Quietus

OK, since it appears that nobody was really interested in Doom 3, I feel I can now ask the same of the better Dooms.  I'm after any information relating to MegaWADs for Doom 2 (or even Doom 1) that I may not have seen already.  Really only looking for WADs containing at least, say, ten maps.  I have quite a few already, but am hoping to find a few gems that I may have missed. :^_^:

Zhs2

It may only be annually, but that's what things like this is for. :^_^: (http://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/ for the full reference.)

I also highly recommend the Best Gameplay mod of this year, too. You can never have enough explosions.

Quietus

Yeah, I've already scoured the Cacowards, right through from the start. :yay:

The only problem is that they're restricted to their ten best, but I suspect that there are loads out there that didn't quite make the cut, but are still great to play.

JAM

I'd like to invite everyone to play DOOM this Saturday. I'll be online about 9PM GMT. I have a wad to play co-op. It was made in 2001, and in 2007 I did a fix to play it without bugs in co-op mode (unreleased for now). So, it will be cool to play altogether

Quietus

It's a possibility.  Any info on the port / WAD, so that we may familiarise ourselves?

JAM

The port is Zandorum Zandronum 1.0 (new Skulltag)
The wad is Enjay ZDoom 2001
And the place is here doom channel, you know

Bugfix I'll post tomorrow (138 kb)

As for the port, I misnamed it. Skulltag is more obvious to remember. And this new name like renaming Uranus to Erectum.

Вот, блин, что б я ещё раз тут народ созывал... Ушёл гамить в одиночку...

Parabox

Apparently Amulets and Armor is an abandonware game which was commercially panned at time of release, and apparently it's made with the Doom engine.

Quietus

I've got waaay too much Doom to play as it is.  I've got WADs coming out of my ears! :^_^:

I'm currently playing through Doom the Way id Did: Lost Episodes.  Most of the maps are pretty good, and a small number are pretty crap.  It's rare for me to find a level that I can't stand, but Sheol's Descent fits that bill.  Hitscan enemies you can't see, and teleporters dropping you into pain zones.  No thanks.  I can't remember the last time I cheated for all map, and then clipped to the end. Screw you, Scheol's Descent! :evilno:

DemickXII

Darkonomicon

Can I have a link for Skulltag.. The game.. and everything needed to play with ya guys?
Or should I get Zandronum?
And are ya playing DOOM or DOOM2?

Parabox

Skulltag is deprecated and has been superseded by Zandronum. If you hit me up on IRC, I can give you all the IWADs. Zhs2 also has a repo for PWADs. Be sure to check out all years of the Cacowards and maybe the Doom general thread on 4chan's /vg/. For info about stuff, there's the Doom wikia.

Quietus

As well as the Cacowards, I've also trawled the entire idgames archives, and have the majority of the most highly rated WADs and megaWADs, so if you need help, let me know, and I'm sure that between all of us we can sort something out.

Darkonomicon

Quote from: Parabox on November 15, 2013, 10:00:06 AM
Skulltag is deprecated and has been superseded by Zandronum. If you hit me up on IRC, I can give you all the IWADs. Zhs2 also has a repo for PWADs. Be sure to check out all years of the Cacowards and maybe the Doom general thread on 4chan's /vg/. For info about stuff, there's the Doom wikia.
1. What's IRC?
2. So I should get Zandronum right?

Vismund Cygnus

To answer that first question, irc is a place where we go to flame each other and/or rage horribly where the community gathers to discuss Metroids and stuff. There's a link to it on the main site, if you click on the mibbit widget you'll connect.  :^_^:
I know nothing about doom but I'm sure someone there will help out, assuming you're patient.

Darkonomicon

Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on November 15, 2013, 07:15:47 PM
To answer that first question, irc is a place where we go to flame each other and/or rage horribly where the community gathers to discuss Metroids and stuff. There's a link to it on the main site, if you click on the mibbit widget you'll connect.  :^_^:
I know nothing about doom but I'm sure someone there will help out, assuming you're patient.
Thanks