News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2014 - Archives

Started by Quote58, April 19, 2012, 09:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alisa Orlova

Well... or my English is very bad, or you guys are so good that you know how to read between the lines. Check out my post again, I wrote "Of course optional". This means if you want to place the image, do it, if you want more fun stuff, make a video. For example, how these videos are breaking the rules?
[spoiler] SMILE Room Construction #1
Super Metroid: Room Building in SMILE #1
Palette decision [/spoiler]
People show their best rooms, and i want to see more of that with them is connected. No photoshop! No image editing! Just a few words of description, and a link to fun stuff.

P.S. don't try to show that you are concerned about those who work with M1. Check this work. [spoiler]http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,1987.msg32893.html#msg32893[/spoiler]
This is almost the same thing as this week. But he is not disqualified, instead gave him more votes than Jordan, Benki and Jefe. People who are fond of M1 will be OK I suppose. Because you're all old friends.

Jiffy

Hello, new week! [spoiler][/spoiler]

Hawntah

[spoiler][/spoiler]
Btw I used Photoshop to reduce the lava's opacity (oh noes, the blasphemy!). Feel free to disqualify/ban/whatever. :eyeroll:

MetroidMst

You already make good rooms as is. I don't see your need to cheat.

HOWEVER YOU DON'T MAKE ROOMS AS GOOD AS MINE!!!!11!1!1!!
[spoiler=Weep in Fear you silly entrants into my coronation!][/spoiler]

Quote58

Quote from: Alisa Orlova on July 19, 2014, 03:47:11 AM
Well... or my English is very bad, or you guys are so good that you know how to read between the lines. Check out my post again, I wrote "Of course optional".
People show their best rooms, and i want to see more of that with them is connected. No photoshop! No image editing! Just a few words of description, and a link to fun stuff.
First off, no one was saying you can't also have a video if you want something to be cleared up or just want people to see it in game. However what we don't want is having a room judged on in game anything. You can supplement the picture with a video, but know that the picture is what should be getting voted on.

P.S. don't try to show that you are concerned about those who work with M1. Check this work. [spoiler]http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,1987.msg32893.html#msg32893[/spoiler]
This is almost the same thing as this week. But he is not disqualified, instead gave him more votes than Jordan, Benki and Jefe. People who are fond of M1 will be OK I suppose. Because you're all old friends.
Secondly, how dare you accuse us of favoritism, especially since the room you linked is not even close to "almost the same thing". You are clearly seeing what you want to see. Moreover, it's similarity simply means that snarfblam's style in designing M1 rooms is still better than the competition (ie. jordan, benki, jefe). 

snarfblam

Why would I be disqualified? It's not the same room, and even if it was a different version of the same room, the rules explicitly allow this! Also, have a little faith in the voters. They are capable of taking the systems limitations into account.

We've discussed the RotW format to death repeatedly in the past, and always decided against changing it. I'm all for considering new ideas, assuming people don't start turning into whiny asses.

Quote from: Hawntah on July 19, 2014, 10:06:08 AM
Btw I used Photoshop to reduce the lava's opacity (oh noes, the blasphemy!). Feel free to disqualify/ban/whatever. :eyeroll:
Well, if you're making a point of willfully breaking the rules being a dick, yeah, your submission should be disqualified.

Alisa Orlova

Can you delete this and my previous room and give the prize to the second place? I don't want to have anything to do with "Picture Of The Week".

Quietus

History has taught us that how seriously the Room of the Week competition is taken is directly proportional to the lack of everyone's enjoyment.

As soon as people start talking about changing it, the same arguments rear their heads, then a few people get angry.  It's pointless.  There is no reward for winning in any given week, and it's just meant to be a little fun.  Relax, build your room, and roll with the results. :^_^:

If you really wanted to have some other form of competition, then I would suggest you create a separate topic in the social area, and see how it goes.

personitis

Quote from: Quietus on July 19, 2014, 04:41:29 PM
If you really wanted to have some other form of competition, then I would suggest you create a separate topic in the social area, and see how it goes.
No! We'll talk about it right here, right now! I want a Screenshot of the Week contest! :mad:

Retroo

Quote from: MetroidMst on July 19, 2014, 10:18:44 AM

Private tileset?

MetroidMst

Quote from: retroknuckles on July 19, 2014, 06:57:57 PM
Private tileset?

Same one used in SLI as seen from Grime's wonderful perspective.

Benki

Quote from: Jefe962 on July 19, 2014, 07:09:44 AM
Hello, new week! [spoiler][/spoiler]

Nice job, really loving the tile work. Looks amazing.  :^_^:

Quote58

Vismund is going to be doing rotw for a while but he has yet to update it this week soooo

I hope my having created this tileset isn't too adventageous for me this week...  :heheh:
[spoiler=/elevate/ yourself onto my level][/spoiler]

Alisa Orlova

Quote from: MetroidMst on July 19, 2014, 10:18:44 AM

You better do something with this duplicate tiles until the start of the competition. Why Torizo is so high? It's pointless if we can reach it without using inventory, just jumping on evil little platforms.
And as I only dared to say such a thing?! This is not a repeating tile, it is... amm..... alternate reality. My apology. Okay, this is a joke of course, but Hey!

Retroo

Alisa
You have a good point about the duplicate... but not with the platform thing its not something bad to do some platforming in super metroid and evil? I can not say thats evil its easy platforming, no spikes under the platforms so.. i know you said: this is a joke. But still...

Jordan5

Quote from: Alisa Orlova on July 20, 2014, 03:19:36 AM
Why Torizo is so high? It's pointless if we can reach it without using inventory, just jumping on evil little platforms.

Physics could be changed enough so that you need high jump. But knowing MST, they're probably crumble blocks so you have to crumble jump up there. If he really wants us to rage, he'd make them not repawn :heheh:

Alisa Orlova

Quote from: retroknuckles on July 20, 2014, 05:41:47 AM
Alisa
i know you said: this is a joke. But still...
It was a joke and not joke at the same time. Will this room is pointless, if you add platforms? If so, why?
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quote from: Jordan5 on July 20, 2014, 07:36:53 AM
Physics could be changed enough so that you need high jump. But knowing MST, they're probably crumble blocks so you have to crumble jump up there. If he really wants us to rage, he'd make them not repawn :heheh:
This is one of the reasons to add a description to the rooms.

MetroidMst

Quote from: Alisa Orlova on July 20, 2014, 07:45:49 AM
This is one of the reasons to add a description to the rooms.
There is absolutely nothing stopping people from doing so. . . However, I personally prefer to leave it to the imagination. That room can't be so obviously simple. . . Right?

Alisa Orlova

Quote from: MetroidMst on July 20, 2014, 08:40:48 AM
That room can't be so obviously simple. . . Right?
Why not, Mr. Riddler? It seems you're just come up with on the go.  :heheh: In any way, you know what to do. I'm not trying to tease you, i just forgot that is "Picture Of The Week".  :lol:

Retroo

i tried to use this tileset from volta..

Quietus

The main part is fine, but those leaves look poor, as they repeat way too often.

MetroidMst

Quote from: Alisa Orlova on July 20, 2014, 09:19:36 AM
It seems you're just come up with on the go.
How did you know that is how I make all my hacks?

passarbye

hey, it's been a while..
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Vismund Cygnus

Tidbits of feedback for now:
[spoiler=Jefe962]This could really do with a lot of background loving. The room is quite good, though I'm not too much of a fan of the palette and the brick tiles contrasting so much with the plant Brinstar. But the repeating background across the whole room, and the background palette looking so, for lack of a better word, murky, it really puts me off the room. WHich is a shame because you've improved an awful lot.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=MetroidMst]Not too much to comment on.
BUT I WILL ANYWAY.
I don't like that CRE/Door palette. Looks bad. the rest of it is pretty good, if somewhat plain. Nice background though.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Quote58]The grandpappy of this tileset uses his tender touch to create a beautiful room like no cheap imitator could. The tiling is perfect, and everything flows really well.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=retroknuckles]It's pretty obvious that this is one of the first attempts you've made with the tileset. Certainly not a bad effort, but you should keep experimenting and see if you can get a better feel for the tileset and make something unique.  :^_^:[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Passarbye]Gonna guess this is Super, or that weird engine you used a few other times. Nice layering as always, pretty cool item room overall. Looks good.[/spoiler]

I've ended up voting with Quote, I couldn't find any real flaws in his or Passarbye's rooms, but Quote has that little bit of extra polish, and the fact that we've seen some good, and some not so good, uses of this tileset recently, and this trumps them all. Nice work everyone this week.

Alisa Orlova

[spoiler=Jefe]Well... Quote58 made it clear to me that this is a picture of the week, but not the room. In this case, I admit that the picture is good. But, if you disagree with me and think that this is still a room, i can say not, and here's why. First of all this pits. What's happening if we fall down? Loading screen? Well.. ok, we at the bottom of the pit, what next? Can we jump out? If yes, it will be full shit, like "fall Loading/jump Loading". If we can't jump out, how you'll implement it? Invisible blocks? Yeah...nice one. Second problem is "scrolling background disable trick". I remember your naive question, see "Engine Works". With this trick rooms looks good only in a picture, but in the game they looks like a NES. Anyway, great picture! I watch your works and I can say that you are moving forward! Well done! I will support you and this week.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=MST]I am afraid that my English knowledge is not enough for subtle flattery, and I'm not so     
friendly as your comrades from the forum. I already said why i don't like this work.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Quote58]Pay attention to the vertical tile, it is not completed. It looks bad, as an error in the design. What is the problem to add horizontally growing grass? Not kidding, this is error or simply laziness. Two clicks to fix this problem in any Tile Editor. Check out your previous work [Week Eighteen: 8/24/2013 - 9/6/2013]. A whole year has passed, and you still use incomplete tiles set. It's a good tile set, but not the best use.  I can fix it if you want, seriously, I'm not trying to hurt you.
[spoiler][/spoiler] [/spoiler] [spoiler=Retro]And i can start "Redesign" butthurt instantly, because it's a cautious attempt to steal someone else's tiles. Just kidding of course. I saw your previous work, and I think you chose the right strategy. It is better to make small rooms in search of your style, than to spend plenty of time creating large old style room.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Passarbye]Vis\Fix\Pic\Thx
Several elements are repeated, and very visible. I'm not familiar with this platform, so don't know how difficult or easy to avoid such a problems. One person here on the forum wrote an interesting thought, I don't remember who it was, but the point is that SM is so popular for "hackers" because .... "Redesign"! As soon as "Redesign"  will be released for metroid fusion, all immediately start to do hacks for GBA. Your room is a good example for this. Nice work!
[spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]