News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2013 - Archives

Started by ProjectXVIII, February 19, 2012, 09:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: Quietus on June 23, 2013, 10:32:43 AM
When you are building the outer edge of your rooms, you could try to break up the terrain a little.  What you have at the moment is sort of a loop of tiles going around, whereas with a little breaking up, it can look more natural, and less flat.

As an example, compare the following rooms.  They are almost identical in shape, yet the first is with a basic loop of tiles, and the second has some breaking up.  You'll see what I mean. :^_^:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely keep that in mind!  :^_^:

Quietus

Snarf for me.  It's not often you see NES games with graphics that actually look nice, so it's always a pleasure to see.  Now, if only I could learn to like the game more. :blush:

personitis

Snarf has my vote. This man knows how to 8-bit. As for Jordan's room two things stand out to me. The first is that, being very familiar with the original game, I can tell exactly what room that is. My second note is that you should spice things up a bit and use slopes more often. Makes things look more natural!

Vismund Cygnus

Well, it seems nobody wanted me to enter this week...  :O_o:
It's okay, my vote's with snarf anyway. I've never seen Metroid look so good!

Quietus

Don't worry about the voting so much.  While it may be nice to win a week, it's always good to get feedback on a room. :^_^:

snarfblam

Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on June 26, 2013, 09:50:42 AM

Wow, I'm sorry. I completely missed it. I'm a terrible person and I feel terrible.

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: snarfblam on June 27, 2013, 04:22:55 PM
Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on June 26, 2013, 09:50:42 AM

Wow, I'm sorry. I completely missed it. I'm a terrible person and I feel terrible.
Hehe, it's okay. I got my feedback from Quietus, and your room kicked my room's butt anyway.

ProjectXVIII

HEY I JUST MET YOU, AND THIS IS CRAZY, BUT HERE'S MY ROOM, SO SUBMIT MAYBE?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

snarfblam

Is this what you wanted? Is this what you had in mind?

Vismund Cygnus

This is Super.
[spoiler]I made this in half an hour during class today, while I couldn't be bothered doing work. I probably spent more time on the background than the actual room. Also it's not that special, but it's the first time I've opened SMILE in a week.
I probably do more hacking at school than I do in my free time.  :lol:
[/spoiler]

Quietus

The grass and the blocks ending abruptly at the door look really odd.  Snarf's room looks good enough to eat.

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: Quietus on July 15, 2013, 10:01:32 AM
The grass and the blocks ending abruptly at the door look really odd.
I hadn't even noticed what I did at the top of the door on the left...  :O_o: Originally there was no door there, but I changed it at the last minute, which was likely not the best idea. I think that room will be revisited in the morning.

Quietus

Snarf for me.  I like the greyish tiles in Project's room, but Snarf's room just comes across as a good example of 'sometimes, less is more'.

passarbye

a quick note for vismund, if you set your brightness setting in smile on anything other than the default, it'll make the palettes look all washed out and everything when you export a bitmap. (i think)
try setting it back to default before taking a screenshot, or exporting a bitmap for better picture quality and true colors.

unless washed out is what you're going for. ;P

also this week: snarf

Vismund Cygnus

I voted snarf. Tough choice between his and Project's, but overall that room looks wonderful, especially for NEStroid.

Quote from: passarbye on July 15, 2013, 04:09:46 PM
a quick note for vismund, if you set your brightness setting in smile on anything other than the default, it'll make the palettes look all washed out and everything when you export a bitmap. (i think)
try setting it back to default before taking a screenshot, or exporting a bitmap for better picture quality and true colors.

unless washed out is what you're going for. ;P

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a go next time. Because no, washed out is definitely not the look I want. Of course, designing a better room is also a good place to go.  :razz:

iRundas

Guess i win this week.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Quote58

Big talk little man, if I were still designing rooms instead of making asm, I'd put you in your place.

Quietus

Dang, people.  The gauntlet went down. :^_^:

Zhs2

The only problem is, you'll have to save it for next week since you submitted late...!

Jordan5

The problem is no-one else will submit 'cause they can't win :wink:

Quietus

Ooh, dem's fightin' words. :oh:

* Quietus grabs some popcorn.

Vismund Cygnus

Are we submitting stuff?!
I know that my room is basically a palette swap away from being a bad copy of Rundas', but I only just saw that and I'm not changing my mind about entering this so [spoiler][/spoiler]

Ha.

Quietus

Just a little tip: If that room isn't pre-Morph, then you should remove the morph gap.  Morph tunnels and obstacles are fine, but there should be a reason for them.  Perhaps there's an item at the end, or it serves a transitional purpose, but forcing players to morph in an open room, just for the sake of doing so, breaks flow.

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: Quietus on July 18, 2013, 07:31:31 AM
Just a little tip: If that room isn't pre-Morph, then you should remove the morph gap.  Morph tunnels and obstacles are fine, but there should be a reason for them.  Perhaps there's an item at the end, or it serves a transitional purpose, but forcing players to morph in an open room, just for the sake of doing so, breaks flow.
Luckily it's pre-morph.  :heheh:
[spoiler]That being said, I may end up changing it in the future anyway. We'll see what happens.[/spoiler]

Quietus

Hehe, fair enough. :^_^:

If that is the case, however, be careful with what's a slope, since if both of those bottom two tiles are slopes, it may be possible for a player to somersault in, and jiggle through.