News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2014 - Archives

Started by Quote58, April 19, 2012, 09:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietus

Quote for me.  It has that 'wanna be there' feel to it, though I'm not so sure, as those red berries look like creepy eyes. :whoa:

MetroidMst

ONLY FOUR ENTRIES? LOOKS LIKE THE REST ARE TRYING TO MAKE SURE THEIR WORK MEETS UP WITH MY INFAMOUS GLARING EYE. THE REST OF YOU SHOULD HAVE TOOK NOTE, BECAUSE I AM ABOUT TO GIVE YOU NOTES OF SHAME FOR THIS WEEK!

[spoiler=BEWARE YOUR VIRGIN EYES]
[spoiler=Vismund]This is like the Lord of the Flies of this group. Everyone has read, and everyone wishes they never did! This is a very easy tileset to use, so everyone will most likely eventually try it out. I can point out you seem to have successfully used the shading on the bricks properly at least. BUT GOOD GRAMMAR DOES NOT A BAD STORY FIX! The visual interest reminds oneself of a spider planting it's babies inside it's former lover so the children can enjoy what is left of their father. I suggest adding something of interest.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Quote]To be, or not to be. That is the question I will not pose with this room, because it is clearly outside. That being the case, the ceiling being open is. . . Okay. . . BUT IT TELLS A STORY OF A WRITER IN NEED OF IDEAS. You have the general premise of the room set, but the details are lacking! Why just a gap in the ceiling? For something so bright you wouldn't think it is just an opening in a cave. It seems like it should be more open. . . Like, no rocks should be above the doors.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Retro]I WOULD SAY THIS WAS A NICE FUSION OF TILES, BUT THAT PUN WOULD BE A LIE! Being familiar with this tileset myself, I know there are a lot of things that can be done with it. YOU HAVE YET TO UNLOCK THE SPELLCHECK FEATURE.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=JiffIE]IT HAS ALL COME TO THIS. You appear to be doing some decent layering here, and otherwise this appears to be the best room you have made yet. HOWEVER. I see typos in the forms of palettes everywhere. Firstly, that sand is hideous with your new gray bricks. Gray and purple good good together. You need to remove that brown and make it blue or orange. Seriously, give it a try.[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
I WENT LIGHT ON YOU MORTALS THIS EVENING. YOU CAN THANK THE BENEVOLANT MOOD WITH SHOWERS OF PRAISE AND $1 BILLS. DON'T EXPECT THE SAME NEXT WEEK, AS I AM SURE YOU WILL PRODUCE ENOUGH GARBAGE TO FILL YOUR MOM'S UNDERWEAR.

Vismund Cygnus

Shit rooms are shit. Pretty easy to choose this week.
[spoiler=Quote]The only "good" room this week. Wins because sexy background and sexy lushness. However echoing what Mst said (I think), this looks like it needs to be more open than it is. If not for the custom tiles and the averageness of the rest of the rooms, this probably wouldn't be worth voting on. As it stands, it's pretty damned pretty Crateria.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Jiffo]I don't know where to begin with what's wrong with this room.
Either you have cropped this really fucking weirdly, or you can't see those top 2 rows of bricks, meaning it looks like there's nothing above the doors. If it has been cropped, does that mean you can see those two bottom rows of sandfally ugly shit? Also, the palette on the sand definitely needs changing up. Changing the positions of the doors is certainly different but it doesn't actually "add" anything to the room.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Retro]There's nothing special about this room. It's just, like, a room. That morph tunnel would be annoying if you had to pass through it a lot.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Mondo]As I said, this room is over 6 months old and doesn't reflect what I can do now. I just entered 'cause I thought there would only be 2 entries and we couldn't have that. Probably wouldn't have entered at all this week otherwise.[/spoiler]

Jiffy

Well. Forums downed so time to start a new week.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Retroo

Here is my room this week ;P
[spoiler][/spoiler]

MetroidMst

[spoiler=You can never get away from this tileset!][/spoiler]

Quietus

I'd like to have picked Jefe's room, as the colours are great, but the background bubbles look too tessellated and stand out as not being natural.  Also, those squares in the ground look really odd.

Due to the above, I've gone with retro's room.  You show real improvement, and it looks like a nice item room that'd fit in anywhere.  My only real criticism is that you still need to work a little harder in avoiding straight edges.  Any more than about two tiles in natural terrain looks odd, and ruins the effect.  Good work. :^_^:

Retroo

3 rooms this week!
jefe
[spoiler]this rooms is really good, the rock tiles under the tiles you walk on looks a little weird do =)[/spoiler]
MST
[spoiler]the room is good it is, but you post rooms like this almost every time you post in room of the week i want to see something different from you even do the room is good =P[/spoiler]
not really decided wich room that will get my vote yet...

Vismund Cygnus

Voted for Pedro Retro this week. It's a good, clean vanilla room, and echoing what Quietus says, you're showing some real improvement as the weeks go on. I don't have as much of an issue with the longer straight pieces of ground, I'm this case it looks varied enough.

Jefe, those colours look much nicer than the old washed out version did, but you still need to either make a better transition between the black and the cave tiles, and the background bubbles need more variation.

Mst, I thought about voting for you, probably would have if not for the improvement retro has shown.

Digital_Mantra

Voted Jefe. Awesome room, just needs work on the floor.

Alisa Orlova

Jafe.
Nice room actually, but i think, you should use more tile variations. And of course this whale tail beside the middle of the room is awesome! :heheh:

Retro.
Good work! Probably should use less straight lines. (X00\Y01 right side and X01\Y01 left side) I'll vote for you this time.

Shy man.
I think you're trying to find out how much this forum loves you. Or, you are trying to insult the other contestants, who are really made ​​an effort in work. Yes, you're only one who made own tile, but this is no reason to neglect the design of rooms.

Quietus

Quote from: Alisa Orlova on July 09, 2014, 05:03:02 AMYes, you're only one who made own tile
I believe those are from the SoAlien tileset, by Grime. :^_^:

Alisa Orlova

Quote from: Quietus on July 09, 2014, 10:26:46 AM
Quote from: Alisa Orlova on July 09, 2014, 05:03:02 AMYes, you're only one who made own tile
I believe those are from the SoAlien tileset, by Grime. :^_^:
More's the pity!
Thank you mr. Pirate-troid, i didn't know it!

personitis

Jefe's block tiles look strange in groups (though a great palette), Knuckles' has a nice clean vanilla looking Maridia room, and Mst is terribad at 1x1 rooms.

Jiffy

Retro wins, good job.
Anyways.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quietus

It looks cold.  I like it. :^_^:

Alisa Orlova

Quote from: Jefe962 on July 12, 2014, 06:14:13 AM
Retro wins, good job.
Anyways.
I believe you are an experienced guy, but just in case I say, that to transfer tiles/tile-table parts between tile sets, you better use HEX editor and markers.
By the way, nice work!
[Spoiler]
Well.. it's my room. I called it "deep cold cave" (Maridia). It's looks better under deep Maridia water, i swear! :blush:
This red and green tiny doodahs, is magnetic field generators! They magnetize suit, and block the "morphing" ability. I mean... it's just a morph lock blocks.  :<_<: But hey! Magnetic fields - sounds much more interesting!
Do not pay attention to the position of the yellow door, it's in correct place. And i know how to avoid stupid "repeating jump stuck" bug and i know how scroll pointers works. I mean, without technical comments please.

[/Spoiler]

Vismund Cygnus

My concern with that room is that gameplay-wise, that room looks rather cramped, as though the flow would be broken a fair amount as you traversed through it. Judging by the number of doors in the room, it looks like you're meant to cross through it quite a bit, that worries me a little.
Aesthetically, I like the new palette better than the old one. I'm sure it looks better in game, but as a picture the background could be a little darker. Your tiling is great as always, you'll get no complaints from me there.  :^_^:

Overall, nice looking room, could be a bit awkward in game, but perfectly fine for RotW.

I'm not entering this week 'cause I haven't made a room for over a week!

Alisa Orlova

Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on July 13, 2014, 08:28:23 AM
Judging by the number of doors in the room, it looks like you're meant to cross through it quite a bit, that worries me a little.
M....yeah, it is nearly so. First time player falls into this room through the left door and yellow bubble closes behind him the way back. Player can't take a sphere, he can't go up through the green door, he have no "spring ball", he can't grab E-tank and unlock ball form, he can't go right through the blue door, and he can't open red doors, because he have no rockets and he is locked in ball form. Second time player have a green rockets. Third time player have a wave beam + spring ball. He can unmorph and go through the blue and red doors. Fourth time boss dead and grey door is opened. If it will be a speed run, player should pass through this room only twice. Blue door without spring ball, it's only TAS path.

Aesthetically, I like the new palette better than the old one. I'm sure it looks better in game, but as a picture the background could be a little darker.
I'll lose almost 2 color cells if i made BG is a little bit darker. I use a darkens Maridia water to this tiles set. Unfortunately SMILE or SNES engine (I don't know the nuances) have a really poor RGB tone spectrum. I mean, standard RGB has 255 values for each color, but when we export our pallet in SMILE, in graphic editor, we can see only 1F (31) values for each color. It blows up my eyes. This is the case, if I'm not mistaken. Adjustment palette blend of water, is my plan B!

I'm not entering this week 'cause I haven't made a room for over a week!
Where the "crystal meth drawed" room from your laptop? I saw your message in "Talk of the Day" forum thread and i think you have a one. It's looks like you're trying to avoid a walloping on this week. He-he-he-he!...He-he!  :razz: Well, yes, you can spend your anniversary message to me.

TobiMikami

Overused, overdone, and looks god awful in my opinion but I shall post this here anyways
[spoiler][/spoiler]

snarfblam

Parabox

Jordan5

Vismund isn't entering?! we have a chance :heheh:

[spoiler=working on the suitless part of maridia][/spoiler]

Retroo

Quote from: Jordan5 on July 13, 2014, 10:09:29 PM
Vismund isn't entering?! we have a chance :heheh:

[spoiler=working on the suitless part of maridia][/spoiler]
That picture is a little bright? maybe you have smile on a bright setting.

TobiMikami

I feel I could have submitted a better room, but that would require me spoiling the theme of my hack and that wouldn't be no fun no would it? Haha. Good luck everybody.