News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid - Widescreen Patch v0.2.1 asm

Started by ocesse, May 09, 2020, 04:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohallahan

Hello, thanks for all the patches. I am having trouble patching Super Metroid - Ancient Chozo v1.1.5 - Widescreen Patch v0.3 (UH)

I have patched the correct rom with Ancient Chozo v1.1.5 and it plays fine, it's SHA-1 is : DA957F0D63D14CB441D215462904C4FA8519C613

I've tried multiple different smc's, and sfc's, and even a fig, but it always says patching with bps fails

Any idea why?

ocesse

Quote from: ohallahan on July 03, 2021, 08:42:17 PM
Hello, thanks for all the patches. I am having trouble patching Super Metroid - Ancient Chozo v1.1.5 - Widescreen Patch v0.3 (UH)

I have patched the correct rom with Ancient Chozo v1.1.5 and it plays fine, it's SHA-1 is : DA957F0D63D14CB441D215462904C4FA8519C613

I've tried multiple different smc's, and sfc's, and even a fig, but it always says patching with bps fails

Any idea why?

In attachments I'm sharing with you a Widescreen patch v0.3 in bps and ips formats, please use only one of the two.

Instructions
1.- Get Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc (CRC32: D63ED5F8)
2.- Apply ANCIENT_CHOZO_1.1.5.IPS (CRC32: 4C479546)
You get ANCIENT_CHOZO_1.1.5.smc (CRC32: B6E07BAD)
3.- Apply Super Metroid - Ancient Chozo v1.1.5 - Widescreen Patch v0.3.bps (CRC32: 2144DF1C) with a bps patcher like beat (https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/893/)
or
4.- Apply Super Metroid - Ancient Chozo v1.1.5 - Widescreen Patch v0.3.ips (CRC32: 8F1F8BD1) with an ips patcher like flips
You get Super Metroid - Ancient Chozo v1.1.5 - Widescreen Patch v0.3.smc (CRC32: 53625D75)
5.- Be sure that your ROM after all the patches was applied and the bso file included in the Widescreen Patch v0.3 folder have the same name and put them in the same folder, no ips or bps Widescreen patches with them.
6.- Open your game with bsnes-hd beta & enjoy!!

And the correct SHA-1 for ANCIENT_CHOZO_1.1.5.smc is: 85844E0E9743E779E6DD7703697D5E3FD9E88932

ohallahan

Thanks, yes I already know how to patch roms properly lol, that is the exact rom that I have with CRC32: D63ED5F8, I redownloaded the Ancient Chozo v1.1.5 patch and then tried it again and then it worked, it was only that game that wouldn't work, I just compared the files in hxd and there were differences, so must have been a bad patch or something.

What a waste of time lol

The ips patch you provided worked fine

Thanks for the help and all the work for getting these available, it's much appreciated!  :cheers:

ohallahan

I am also trying to patch Temple of the Winds but cant find a patch for 3.0, it was updated to 3.1 apparently because of a softlock.

Also The Blue Plague v1.1.1, I can't find a patch for that, and it's on v1.1.2 now that they fixed 2 permastucks

Moehr

Ocese's patch works on 3.1 as well for TotW. We didn't put up another one because his first one is just fine.

ocesse

The improvements of the Widescreen patch from v0.2 to the new v0.3 are:
1.- Samus can be in the Widescreen area, because the doors stay on the edges of the screen, only at the limits of the rooms and when they are larger than 1 screen, if the door is in the middle of the room, then it will move up to 4:3 area
2.- All the effects of windowing have improved thanks to the option S:2 of bso override file, the Power Bombs explosions look perfect, the rays that the enemy "The Eye" throws at you has improved and you can see it in the Widescreen area, the rainbow ray that Mother Brain throws at you has improved like that of the enemy "The Eye", the windowing effect that has required the most work is that of the X-Ray Scope, I had to adjust how wide is the beam depending on the angle at which Samus is watching and in the Widescreen part inside the ray there were only garbage graphics, now in that part there are already normal graphics, but the X-Ray Scope beam still does not discover hidden items, bomb blocks, Power Bombs, Super Missiles, or secret passages, more work is needed for this to work properly in the widescreen area, but the X-Ray Scope code is quite complicated.
3.- The messages within the game, such as when you enter Samus's ship or when you take an item, are no longer repeated on the other side of the screen, initially I thought that it would only be necessary to modify a single bit in the game code, but it was more complicated due to effects such as rain or fog, but I was able to fix the problem of the messages in the game for the release v0.3
Basically this is the changelog from Widescreen v0.2 to v0.3, I will try to make the new Widescreen patch v0.3 compatible with the new version of Temple of the Winds to share it here.

ohallahan

Another odd thing is Super Metroid YPR shows only version 1.02, the Widescreen Patch is for YPR v1.10, I luckily found 1.10 in a pack of romhacks, not sure why there is such an odd distance between the numbers and no mention of them online.

I created patches for YPR v1.10 in case anybody else ends up looking for them.

ocesse

Here is the Widescreen patch for Super Metroid - Cliffhanger Redux (UH), enjoy!

Super Metroid - Cliffhanger Redux

Release date: April 26, 2016
Author: Digital_Mantra
Version: 1.0
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=360

Rating and Review by Kremit44 on December 03, 2020 (5 Orbs out of 5) 100% in 11:43

This game is exceptional. I never thought i'd be able to enjoy a game that required such precise knowledge and execution of advanced techniques but the way the game is designed it makes learning and executing these moves fun and rewarding. Many challenge hacks forego the exploration aspect but in this game it's an essential part of the experience. It's a work of art graphically and it's ambitious in telling a story.
I do have some VERY minor criticisms. I think the map should tell you where the exits and entrances lead as it would make navigation better and also make the new names more memorable. The hint for space jump makes no sense (at least to me) and it's too random to find without said hint. The hint is presented in a clever manner but being so cryptic I was compelled to look it up. The exit from the water in the Spazer area was janky. There's some jank on the map in Brinstar after doing a shinespark, going back reveals an unused room from the original game (the mochball early Supers room) and this is a surprisingly unpolished detail for such an impeccable game. The big issue with this is it's confusing on the map making the player think there must be a way to access that area despite there being none. These are incredibly minor complaints and the word jank is perhaps even a bit harsh, this is a very polished game.
If you're good at SM and want to see if you can get great this is an outstanding game to play. I still can't believe I beat it, let alone got 100%, but more surprisingly to me was how much I enjoyed it. I did use save states to help with cutting down the time some stuff took to learn/execute but they aren't essential. This game's difficulty will make it inaccessible to many but for those it's accessible to it really couldn't be a better game. I genuinely think it's one of my favorite games ever and even though all 3 are brilliant it's the one I'd place atop the outstanding Digital Mantra trilogy of Vitality-Eris-Cliffhanger Redux (I'd suggest one play them in that order btw). Thank you very much Digital Mantra and all who may have helped, it's an outstanding game.

-- End of Rating and Review by Kremit44 --

Widescreen patch v0.3 in attachments

Edited on July 12, 2021

Here is the Widescreen patch for Super Metroid - Bluestar v1.11 (UH), enjoy.

Super Metroid - Bluestar

Release date: February 15, 2019
Author: MetroidNerd#9001
Version: 1.11
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=408

Rating and Review by nodever2 on June 07, 2019 (3 Orbs out of 5) 90% in 0:23

This hack was a fun little vanilla experience that is not too difficult and is well designed. It's very nice to have hacks that you can pick up and just enjoy for a little bit. The main drawback to this hack, in my opinion, is that there is extremely little exploration - the hack linear in every sense of the word. Doors lock behind you and you go through rooms in a specific order, and most items are pretty obvious (though some are more interesting to find). Not much else was changed from vanilla either (except level design, of course). The enemy and area palettes were quite nice for the most part... I can't really fault it for having an excessive amount of blue, given the theme of the contest it was entered into, but I can say that the amount of blue started to get to me at times. The pre-kraid room was really cool looking palette-wise though, and I liked it a lot.
The hack was almost entirely devoid of any sort of technical issues whatsoever from what I could see, which is great. Honestly, the only real problem with this hack is the linearity, and it's the main reason I give it 3 orbs; if that doesn't bother you, then you'll probably love the 30 or so minutes you'll spend in Bluestar.

-- End of Rating and Review by nodever2 --

Edited on July 24, 2021

Here is the Widescreen patch for Super Metroid - Temple Runner (UH), enjoy.

Super Metroid - Temple Runner

Release date: February, 2014
Author: Digital_Mantra
Version: Demo
https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,2972.0.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kcXr58txHM&t

In the comments of the video

Chris Yaldo
4 years ago
Where did you get this hack from? Post the link

eternisedDragon7
4 years ago
Your wish is my command. Here's the patch: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/218520158963105792/288212153608175616/Super_Metroid_Temple_Runner_JU_.IPS

Rating and Review by Aran;Jaeger / ED / eternisedDragon7 on January 29, 2017 (3 Orbs out of 5) 42% in ?:??

No animals to be saved.

Quick Summary of the meaning of my SM hack ratings:
5 orbs: SM hacks within the 80% to 100% (90% ± 10%) range of perceived perfection; SM hacks for outstanding wholesome playing experiences and at most minor inconveniences.
4 orbs: SM hacks within the 60% to 80% (70% ± 10%) range of perceived perfection; Well done SM hacks with noticeable design problems.
3 orbs: SM hacks within the 40% to 60% (50% ± 10%) range of perceived perfection; Normal decent average SM hacks.
2 orbs: SM hacks within the 20% to 40% (30% ± 10%) range of perceived perfection; Overall messy, confusing, or punishing SM hacks with some upsides.
1 orb : SM hacks within the 00% to 20% (10% ± 10%) range of perceived perfection; Ruthlessly unplayable, broken, or barely from the original game changed SM hacks.

Judgement parameters summary:
° Creative ideas and features, polished design, how enjoyable and fun the hack can be, lack of hard to find or cryptic required game elements, the difficulty, and if the hack can be finished without major guides or tools.
° Note that the length of a SM hack will not necessarily contribute to my rating of the SM hack, since instead the averaged out experience over the whole hack will be taken into account to get a relative comparison between SM hacks.
° Besides this, lack of impactful changes from the original SM game also went into the evaluation of SM hacks (otherwise one may consider them among the 3 stars hacks) as follows: Ultimately, for my ratings I consider a situation in which an SM enthusiast that already has, knows about and is familiar with the original game and its prominent mechanics could only choose 1 new SM hack to play and thus would really want to make sure he/she will get a fresh and fantastic experience or journey out of his/her 1 choice.

The goal of all these SM hack ratings is so that rather new players have an overview of the whole spectrum of SM hacks and how to sort them in, in relation to each other, where SM hacks that are rated lower might still be enjoyable for more experienced players.

Finally, sometimes for SM hacks it can be relevant that they may be significantly more enjoyable from a player standpoint at which the player is well practiced and familiarized with Super Metroid's game mechanics in general, and that in particular some of the best SM hacks may not be the outright best first SM hack choices to play otherwise because of this, and for beginner SM hack players this typically steers the best first SM hack choices towards some of the SM hacks that I rated with 4 orbs instead of 5.

Rating for some hacks may be off by 1 Star, but arguably not more, and ratings are not attempted to be provided within the precision of ''half orbs''.

-- End of Rating and Review by Aran;Jaeger / ED / eternisedDragon7 --

More Ratings & Reviews by Aran;Jaeger
https://metroidconstruction.com/ratings.php?username=Aran%3BJaeger

And here is a list of hacks played by Aran;Jaeger
Quote from: Aran;Jaeger on May 22, 2018, 06:17:44 PMHere's a more up to date overview of all the hacks together with the rating I gave them (outside of those that appeared after Summer Games Done Quick 2017, which though should also be in the list near the bottom). This list has proven to be helpful to people in the past:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/218520158963105792/443424412797239296/List_of_all_existing_rated_SM_hacks.txt

Edited on July 25, 2021

Here is the Widescreen patch for Super Made In Metroid 3 - Geemers Are The Mighty (UH), enjoy.

Super Made In Metroid 3 - Geemers Are The Mighty

Release date: March 09, 2017
Author: pontarou
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=407

Rating and Review by Kremit44 on July 09, 2021 (5 Orbs out of 5) 100% in 0:52

Really cool little hack. Had to play it with SNES9x instead of BSNES because of a weird issue with controls but whatever. It's got a really cool custom powerup and a neat concept. It's a short hack in theory but dying and hunting for items can make it a lot longer than you'd expect. I tend to not be big on short hacks but when they're this creative it's hard not to like it. Easy 5 orbs. Thanks to the creator for yet another cool and unique small hack.

doodle

So I found a problem with the v0.3 widescreen patch on Return of Justin v3.0. When you try to apply the patch to the rom, it says that the patch is not made for that rom, which does not happen with any other Super Metroid rom hacks with the v0.3 widescreen patch that I know of.

Using a patcher like Hack64 which can bypass checksum checks when patching a rom, it actually gets into gameplay, but after the going to Zebes after leaving Ceres cutscene, the game crashes, and even using a save at the ship still has the game crash. I say that line about the save because this made me discover that the game makes an autosave of the going to Zebes after leaving Ceres cutscene, which I did not know because of the 3rd autosave when you arrive on Zebes at the ship, so at least I learned something.

Anyways, the older widescreen patch works fine on this hack, so could you at least attempt to get the newer patch to work with this hack, please?

OmegaMalkior

Quote from: ocesse on October 26, 2020, 12:17:42 AM
Quote from: Juancho Aran on October 22, 2020, 06:22:35 PM
Hi
I have a question.
Try applying this "Spinjump Restart by Kejardon and Scyzer.ips" patch to Super Metroid Z-Factor but it freezes. Is the patch not suitable for all Super Metroid hacks?

Sadly is not suitable for all Super Metroid hacks.
With minor tweaks, here is the Z-Factor v1.3 compatible Spinjump Restart patch

If I apply this IPS patch to the SM normal ROM (or Z-factor already patched) and also try to load the Widescreen BSO/BSP (leaving it the same name in the folder) it says "error: source size mismatch. Please ensure you are using the correct (headerless) ROM for this patch". Does this mean the Z-factor Spin Jump is not compatible with wide screen? Or how is the process supposed to be done? Thanks

ocesse

Quote from: OmegaMalkior on August 03, 2021, 08:58:50 PM
Hi
I have a question.
Try applying this "Spinjump Restart by Kejardon and Scyzer.ips" patch to Super Metroid Z-Factor but it freezes. Is the patch not suitable for all Super Metroid hacks?

If I apply this IPS patch to the SM normal ROM (or Z-factor already patched) and also try to load the Widescreen BSO/BSP (leaving it the same name in the folder) it says "error: source size mismatch. Please ensure you are using the correct (headerless) ROM for this patch". Does this mean the Z-factor Spin Jump is not compatible with wide screen? Or how is the process supposed to be done? Thanks

Try to rename the patches like this:

1: Z-Factor v1.3.smc
2: Z-Factor v1.3.bps
3: Z-Factor v1.3.ips1
4: Z-Factor v1.3.bso

1: Your Z-Factor v1.3 rom
2: The Widescreen Patch v0.3
3: The Spin Jump restart ips patch
4: The bso override config file

Quote from: doodle on August 03, 2021, 04:05:41 PM
So I found a problem with the v0.3 widescreen patch on Return of Justin v3.0. When you try to apply the patch to the rom, it says that the patch is not made for that rom, which does not happen with any other Super Metroid rom hacks with the v0.3 widescreen patch that I know of.

Using a patcher like Hack64 which can bypass checksum checks when patching a rom, it actually gets into gameplay, but after the going to Zebes after leaving Ceres cutscene, the game crashes, and even using a save at the ship still has the game crash. I say that line about the save because this made me discover that the game makes an autosave of the going to Zebes after leaving Ceres cutscene, which I did not know because of the 3rd autosave when you arrive on Zebes at the ship, so at least I learned something.

Anyways, the older widescreen patch works fine on this hack, so could you at least attempt to get the newer patch to work with this hack, please?

Every Super Metroid Hack need his own Widescreen Patch, I don't recommend using other patch for Return of Justin, let me see if I can make a Widescreen Patch v0.3 for that hack.

Kremit44

It's cool to see my reviews being used in here, I figure a decent and honest review is the least I can do for all the enjoyment these hacks bring me. Such an awesome thing you are doing here dude, this community really is something else. I'm especially stoked that I get to try a widescreen patch out with a Digital Mantra hack I didn't even know existed. Temple Runner in widescreen here I come. lol

ocesse

Kremit44, your reviews are very good, that's why I like to put them here when I share a Widescreen Patch of a hack.
In your review of Super Made In Metroid 3 - Geemers Are The Mighty, you mentioned that there are some control problems when you play in bsnes, that's why I modified the controls to be able to play it on Widescreen in bsnes-hd beta, although not with the controls that was programmed by the author of the hack.
And I hope you enjoy Temple Runner on Widescreen, but we must take into account that it is a Demo.
By the way, you will see ideas from this hack applied in Cliffhanger Redux.

OmegaMalkior

Quote from: ocesse on August 03, 2021, 11:25:15 PM
Quote from: OmegaMalkior on August 03, 2021, 08:58:50 PM
Hi
I have a question.

Try to rename the patches like this:

1: Z-Factor v1.3.smc
2: Z-Factor v1.3.bps
3: Z-Factor v1.3.ips1
4: Z-Factor v1.3.bso

1: Your Z-Factor v1.3 rom
2: The Widescreen Patch v0.3
3: The Spin Jump restart ips patch
4: The bso override config file

So I have everything like this but still not working. https://imgur.com/a/rUkChUC
Did I need to apply the Spin Jump patch onto the already Z-factor patched SM rom and also leave the Spinjump patch file in the directory? Since just leaving it there alone didn't do anything

ocesse

OK, OmegaMalkior, I was trying to make you follow the instructions to soft patching and since I don't see the Z-Factor v1.3.smc rom in the picture that you posted, lets do it with hard patching

Instructions for hard patching (Apply the patches manually and permanently to Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc)

1.- You have Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc (CRC32: D63ED5F8)
2.- Apply Zfactor_v1.3__uh_.ips (You got it in metroid construction)  (with an ips patcher tool as floating ips)
You get Zfactor_v1.3__uh_.smc (CRC32: CEA89814)
3.- Apply Super Metroid - Z-Factor v1.3 - Widescreen Patch v0.3 (UH).bps (with a bps patcher tool as beat v01)
You get Super Metroid - Z-Factor v1.3 - Widescreen Patch v0.3 (UH).smc (CRC32: AB05C664)
4.- Apply Spinjump Restart by Kejardon and Scyzer for Z-Factor v1.3.ips  (with an ips patcher tool as floating ips)
You get Super Metroid - Z-Factor v1.3 - Widescreen Patch v0.3 + Spinjump Restart (UH).smc (CRC32: 86DD0134)

Now rename the bso override config file to the same name of your game

Super Metroid - Z-Factor v1.3 - Widescreen Patch v0.3 + Spinjump Restart (UH).smc
Super Metroid - Z-Factor v1.3 - Widescreen Patch v0.3 + Spinjump Restart (UH).bso

And open your game with bsnes-hd beta

For Vanilla Super Metroid

Instructions for hard patching (Apply the patches manually and permanently to Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc)

1.- You have Super Metroid (JU) [!] (UH).smc (CRC32: D63ED5F8)
2.- Apply Super Metroid WS.bps (with a bps patcher tool as beat v01)
You get Super Metroid WS (UH).smc (CRC32: 601B0AFC)
3.- Apply Spinjump Restart Compatible.ips (https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5168.0;attach=5639)
(with an ips patcher tool as floating ips)
You get Super Metroid WS + Spinjump Restart (UH).smc (CRC32: 4538C60C)

Super Metroid WS + Spinjump Restart (UH).smc
Super Metroid WS + Spinjump Restart (UH).bso

Wizard

Just popping in to say thanks a lot. I tried this out a few days ago and it looks awesome. Good work!

OmegaMalkior

Quote from: ocesse on August 04, 2021, 10:20:04 PM
OK, OmegaMalkior, I was trying to make you follow the instructions to soft patching and since I don't see the Z-Factor v1.3.smc rom in the picture that you posted, lets do it with hard patching

1.- You have Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc (CRC32: D63ED5F8)
2.- Apply Zfactor_v1.3__uh_.ips (You got it in metroid construction)  (with an ips patcher tool as floating ips)
You get Zfactor_v1.3__uh_.smc (CRC32: CEA89814)
3.- Apply Super Metroid - Z-Factor v1.3 - Widescreen Patch v0.3 (UH).bps (with a bps patcher tool as beat v01)
You get Super Metroid - Z-Factor v1.3 - Widescreen Patch v0.3 (UH).smc (CRC32: AB05C664)
4.- Apply Spinjump Restart by Kejardon and Scyzer for Z-Factor v1.3.ips  (with an ips patcher tool as floating ips)
You get Super Metroid - Z-Factor v1.3 - Widescreen Patch v0.3 + Spinjump Restart (UH).smc (CRC32: 86DD0134)

Super Metroid - Z-Factor v1.3 - Widescreen Patch v0.3 + Spinjump Restart (UH).smc
Super Metroid - Z-Factor v1.3 - Widescreen Patch v0.3 + Spinjump Restart (UH).bso

For Vanilla Super Metroid

1.- You have Super Metroid (JU) [!] (UH).smc (CRC32: D63ED5F8)
2.- Apply Super Metroid WS.bps (with a bps patcher tool as beat v01)
You get Super Metroid WS (UH).smc (CRC32: 601B0AFC)
3.- Apply Spinjump Restart Compatible.ips (https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5168.0;attach=5639)
(with an ips patcher tool as floating ips)
You get Super Metroid WS + Spinjump Restart (UH).smc (CRC32: 4538C60C)

Super Metroid WS + Spinjump Restart (UH).smc
Super Metroid WS + Spinjump Restart (UH).bso

I had tried your soft patching method where the Z-factor smc was just the patched SM whole rom, but I don't know what I did back then for it to be wrong and I also am not 100% sure what I did different now with the hard patching that following your instructions did work so thanks a lot! I think I just didn't know the BPM file patcher created a blank file type ROM of it actually patched and was previously ignoring until now lol since it doesn't default to any SNES emulator. Thanks again :)

OmegaMalkior

Quote from: ocesse on June 25, 2020, 06:27:01 PM
Quote from: LiquidDreams on June 25, 2020, 03:13:12 PM
How about a patch for Eris and Ancient Chozo? :razz:
I can provide you a new Widescreen patch v0.2.1 for Eris 2012, but sadly Ancient Chozo v1.1.5 don't work on bsnes-hd beta right now, maybe in the next version. Do you want a widescreen patch for Ancient Chozo v1.1.0?

Quote from: benox50 on June 25, 2020, 05:36:51 PM
Ocesse, The Ascent 1.12 auto reserve crash is not part of WideScreen yes, I dont know why I said that, but thanks for taking a stab at it before I did.

Also Ancient Chozo has it already, but idk about Eris ?
No problem about that, in fact when I re-read your comment, I really understand that the second crash is for other reasons. Ancient Chozo v1.1.0 and Eris 2012 has the older version v0.2 of the Widescreen patch, I will updete the patch for these games.

Edited on June 25, 2020

The past days I was playing a very good Super Metroid hack called Phazon Hack v0.4. For me this is a 5 orbs game, all enemies have new graphics, the complete game has new graphics, is big with tons of secrets to discover, will take you hours to find every single item. I enjoyed a lot this game, I recommend that you play it.

In the attachments you will find the Widescreen patch for it.

Edited on June 26, 2020

I'm sorry Digital_Mantra, Requiescat In Pace Jordan
I finally finished Eris 2012, that was a fu..ing epic final, thanks for doing this great game, Digital_Mantra.

Edited on June 27, 2020

Here is the Widescreen patch for Project Base 0.7.3

Do you have the widescreen patch 0.3 for Phazon 0.4? Getting enemies disappearing once going offscreen and not sure if it's due to that being an older version. Thanks

ocesse

Quote from: Wizard on August 05, 2021, 04:06:08 PMJust popping in to say thanks a lot. I tried this out a few days ago and it looks awesome. Good work!

Thanks, I hope you enjoy it !!  :yay:

Quote from: OmegaMalkior on August 08, 2021, 11:39:51 AMDo you have the widescreen patch 0.3 for Phazon 0.4? Getting enemies disappearing once going offscreen and not sure if it's due to that being an older version. Thanks

No, I don't have the Widescreen Patch v0.3 for Phazon 0.4, eventually I will make it.
In the mean time I can share with you a bso override config file for the old Widescreen Patch v0.2.1
Because the enemies disappearing is a problem with your configuration of bsnes-hd beta.
This bso override config file works for all the old Widescreen Patches v0.2.1, only rename it the same as your patched Super Metroid hacks with Widescreen.

Edited on August 09, 2021

Here is the Widescreen patch for Super Metroid - Return of Justin (UH), enjoy.

Super Metroid - Return of Justin

Release date: August 29, 2017
Author: squishy_ichigo
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=417

Rating and Review by ocesse on January 14, 2020 (4 Orbs out of 5) ???% in 4:30

Return of Justin TP2 - v3.0 is a hack with graphics in the purest style of ZX Spectrum, the level design remembers NES Metroid 1. At first they may seem like simple graphics, but as you progress through the game, you really come to love them. This hack has a very good progress rate and the order in which you get the items is excellent. The only criticism I have towards the game is that it does not have a properly designed ending, since it ends when you enter Chozodia, although you already know this because it's in the Incomplete category.
I really liked this game and I will give it 4 Orbs in its own category.

-- End of Rating and Review by ocesse --

Edited on August 20, 2021

Here is the Widescreen patch for Super Metroid - Solar Flare Singleplayer (UH), enjoy.

Super Metroid - Solar Flare Singleplayer

Release date: November 18, 2020
Author: Mentlegen
Version: 1.1
Topic: Collaboration Contest
https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,5255.msg68272.html#msg68272
IPS:
https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5255.0;attach=5636

Comment by andlabs on November 19, 2020, 03:56:12 PM

A few issues:

- Bad slope in front of the door in Crateria's map room?
- No wall in the elevator room leading to what used to be the Blue Brinstar area (after the space pirate gauntlet); if you run to the right you come out the other side out of bounds and softlocked
- Game appears to stop responding to controls except for pause after Varia Suit until you unequip it, at which point you can equip it again; is this a holdover from the cooperative version?
- Same thing happens after elevators with Varia Suit
- Missing item here? (Behind spoiler)

[spoiler]

Items: 6 energy tanks, 30 missiles, 15 super missiles, Charge Beam, Plasma Beam, Varia Suit, Morphing Ball, Bomb, Spring Ball, High-Jump Boots, Speed Booster
[/spoiler]

Will there be a singleplayer of the other side, (Lunar Eclipse)?

-- End of comment by andlabs --

doodle

As far as I know there was no widescreen patch made for YPX v1.21, the latest that I could find is v1.04, so that would be nice to see.

OmegaMalkior

Quote from: ocesse on August 08, 2021, 09:56:09 PM
Quote from: Wizard on August 05, 2021, 04:06:08 PM
Just popping in to say thanks a lot. I tried this out a few days ago and it looks awesome. Good work!

Thanks, I hope you enjoy it !!   :yay:

Quote from: OmegaMalkior on August 08, 2021, 11:39:51 AM
Do you have the widescreen patch 0.3 for Phazon 0.4? Getting enemies disappearing once going offscreen and not sure if it's due to that being an older version. Thanks

No, I don't have the Widescreen Patch v0.3 for Phazon 0.4, eventually I will make it.
In the mean time I can share with you a bso override config file for the old Widescreen Patch v0.2.1
Because the enemies disappearing is a problem with your configuration of bsnes-hd beta.
This bso override config file works for all the old Widescreen Patches v0.2.1, only rename it the same as your patched Super Metroid hacks with Widescreen.

Edited on August 09, 2021

Here is the Widescreen patch for Super Metroid - Return of Justin (UH), enjoy.

Super Metroid - Return of Justin

Release date: August 29, 2017
Author: squishy_ichigo
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=417

Rating and Review by ocesse on January 14, 2020 (4 Orbs out of 5) ???% in 4:30

Return of Justin TP2 - v3.0 is a hack with graphics in the purest style of ZX Spectrum, the level design remembers NES Metroid 1. At first they may seem like simple graphics, but as you progress through the game, you really come to love them. This hack has a very good progress rate and the order in which you get the items is excellent. The only criticism I have towards the game is that it does not have a properly designed ending, since it ends when you enter Chozodia, although you already know this because it's in the Incomplete category.
I really liked this game and I will give it 4 Orbs in its own category.

Edited on August 20, 2021

Here is the Widescreen patch for Super Metroid - Solar Flare Singleplayer (UH), enjoy.

Super Metroid - Solar Flare Singleplayer

Release date: November 18, 2020
Author: Mentlegen
Version: 1.1
https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,5255.msg68272.html#msg68272
IPS:
https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5255.0;attach=5636

Comment by andlabs on November 19, 2020, 03:56:12 PM

A few issues:

- Bad slope in front of the door in Crateria's map room?
- No wall in the elevator room leading to what used to be the Blue Brinstar area (after the space pirate gauntlet); if you run to the right you come out the other side out of bounds and softlocked
- Game appears to stop responding to controls except for pause after Varia Suit until you unequip it, at which point you can equip it again; is this a holdover from the cooperative version?
- Same thing happens after elevators with Varia Suit
- Missing item here? (Behind spoiler)

[spoiler]

Items: 6 energy tanks, 30 missiles, 15 super missiles, Charge Beam, Plasma Beam, Varia Suit, Morphing Ball, Bomb, Spring Ball, High-Jump Boots, Speed Booster
[/spoiler]

Will there be a singleplayer of the other side, (Lunar Eclipse)?

-- End of comment by andlabs --

Thanks for the file and these new ones! Any chance you could do Super Metroid Opposition? It's a very cool hack that let's you play as a Chozo suit Space Pirate where the hack isn't entirely complete but it overall looks amazing. Here's a clip and IPS file if you want to give it a look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZymFmpQ5uo https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=620#

ocesse

I can try to make Widescreen Patches v0.3 for Super Metroid - YPX v1.21 and for Super Metroid - Opposition, is not hard, in fact is the easy part, the hard part is playing the whole games trying to find crashes or strange behavior caused by the Widescreen Patch v0.3, because I don't like release untested patches.
This can take some time, doodle and OmegaMalkior, let me see what can I do.

Edited on August 23, 2021

Here is the Widescreen Patch v0.3 for Super Metroid - A Link Between Hacks - Lunar Eclipse (UH), enjoy.

Super Metroid - Lunar Eclipse

Release date: November 11, 2020
Author: dewhi100
https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,5255.msg68228.html#msg68228
IPS:
https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5255.0;attach=5624

Comment by ocesse on August 23, 2021

This is a Singleplayer version that I made, but believe me, it's not easy to modify a game without the needed files like mdb.txt and all the pointers.
I take some liberty adding some items and changing some doors, but I didn't change the level layout.
I don't know how is the original hack playing linked with Solar Flare, but this is a world almost empty, very few enemies, for this reason please fight with the Missile Torizo :)
I wanted that you knew the paired game of Solar Flare to close this chapter.
Enjoy!

-- End of comment by ocesse --

Edited on August 27, 2021

Here is the Widescreen Patch v0.3 for Super Metroid - YPX v1.21 (UH), enjoy.

Super Metroid - YPX

Release date: Jun 18, 2020
Author: YP
Version: 1.21
Release Page:
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=605
Forum Thread:
http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,5201.0.html

Rating and Review by Kremit44 on Mar 28, 2021 (4 Orbs out of 5) 96% in 7:01

Pro Tip: Jumping off walls witth the speedbooster is very hard but doable without Space Jump but is VERY easy with it. I wasted a ton of time trying to get items the hard way.
This is an excellent but difficult hack that becomes much more manageable once you get gravity. It has a unique and distinctive graphical style that I appreciated very much. The physics in the beginning are unique but honestly a little too cumbersome. In the beginning it feels very linear, and it is fairly linear throughout, but it begins to feel like an exploration hack soon enough. There's a door that becomes unlocked with 100% in Tourian so perhaps i'll have to go back and try and see inside but the 4 items I missed I suspect are very well hidden. There's some odd decisions here and there that make some moments a little too harsh IMO but it's a strong hack overall that will challenge almost any well seasoned player. Thanks to the author and all who contributed.

I played before Super Metroid YPX v1.04, since then, some rooms had been added and oviously some Items moved to these new rooms, but overall my map for version 1.04 that you can find in the Forum thread of this game, allows you collect the 100% of Items.
Normally I include here a rating & review that I consider according to what score I would give the game, but in this case I made an exception because I liked Kremit44's Review, but for me this is a 5 orbs game.

It is important to clarify that this Widescreen Patch has been designed to be used together with the Show Overscan Area option of bsnes-hd beta:
Settings > Output > Show Overcan Area (Checked)
Only in this way the percentage of Items that you have collected and the time that you have played, can be seen in full at the top of the HUD

Edited on September 02, 2021

Here is the Widescreen Patch v0.3 for Super Metroid - Ruin v1.0 (UH), enjoy.

Super Metroid - Ruin

Release date: November 04, 2015
Author: personitis
Release Page:
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=337
Contest submission post:
https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,3651.msg48897.html#msg48897

Rating and Review by Syphon on November 23, 2019 (4 Orbs out of 5) 70% in 0:14

I had a lot of fun playing this.
The graphics really give this hack a unique mood and the flowing water effect was also very nice.
New healthbar was cool.
Ridley was hard for me but I'm bad at fighting him and I also missed some Energy Tanks.
Very fun quick play hack. I recommend it.

-- End of Rating and Review by Syphon --

Edited on September 03, 2021

Here is the Widescreen Patch v0.3 for Super Metroid - Opposition v1.4 (UH), enjoy.

Super Metroid - Opposition

Release date: August 02, 2020
Author: mccad00
Version: 1.4
Release Page:
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=620
Forum Thread:
https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,4628.0.html

Rating and Review by Sickwood on January 03, 2021  (No completion stats)

This is really good. Custom graphics and music. Even the boss and item graphics were custom. Im not a hacker, but I am sure this took a lot of effort and time. The design was really good, not very hard, but fun exploration. Even had cold damage instead of heat. This is the kind of hack that had it been finish, should have had a trailer, forum thread, the whole nine yards. Not sure why it was abandoned, but I really appreciate getting to play it in its state and it would be awesome if finished one day. Thank you Mccad

-- End of Rating and Review by Sickwood --

ocesse

Here is the Widescreen Patch v0.3 for Super Metroid - Ascent v1.12 (UH), enjoy.

Super Metroid - Ascent

Release date: May 27, 2019
Author: Benox50
Version: 1.12
Release Page:
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=410
Forum Thread:
https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,4978.0.html

Rating and Review by ocesse on August 20, 2021 (5 Orbs out of 5) 100% in 7:20

Coming from Return of Justin, Ascent is like a rainbow in a picnic.
I like that each room is unique and colorful, with its names that sometimes is an ingenious way to give you clues and I also like that the puzzles have different ways of being solved, even if you think enough you can do sequence break, although of course, because the game is divided into 3 areas, what you can advance is only limited to the same area.
Although I do not like the black fog in some rooms that covers the bottom of the screen, it is not a factor that demerit in the least the excellent work that the creator of this game has done.
In short, a fairly large game with good puzzles that make you think to find the solution, new game techniques, quite colorful and use of FX, it has been a fascinating experience and different from any other hack I have played.
I recommend that you also play it and enjoy it !!

100% Items for every Zone:
[spoiler]
Zone 1 100% Items
90 missiles
4 energy tanks, 3 reserve tanks, 3 wtanks (damage)
Charge, Plasma, Morphing Ball, Bomb, Hi-Jump Boots

Zone 2 100% Items
160 missiles, 40 super missiles, Grappling Beam
10 energy tanks, 5 reserve tanks, 6 wtanks (damage), 2 ereducers
Charge, Spazer, Plasma, Toxin Suit, Morphing Ball, Bomb, Boost Ball, Hi-Jump Boots, Speed Booster

Zone 3 100% Items
200 missiles, 60 super missiles, 35 power bombs, Grappling Beam
14 energy tanks, 8 reserve tanks, 9 wtanks (damage), 4 ereducers
Charge, Ice, Wave, Spazer, Plasma, Toxin Suit, Gravity Suit, Morphing Ball, Bomb, Boost Ball, Screw Attack, Hi-Jump Boots, Space Jump, Speed Booster
[/spoiler]

DramaticMarquinh0svi

Can you do a widescreen 0.3 ips patch for Escape II and Phazon 0.4? Thanks!

ocesse

DramaticMarquinh0svi, I can try to make the two Widescreen v0.3 patches that you want, but they would be in bps format. At the moment I have little time available, but surely I can try it in the following days, although I do not know how long it will take.