News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid - Widescreen Patch v0.2.1 asm

Started by ocesse, May 09, 2020, 04:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ocesse

Quote from: channjose on September 03, 2020, 03:20:48 PMI just wanted to reply to my own message because I want to say that as a first time player of this fantastic game and played it with the widescreen hack, it was completely playable and enjoyable, thank you very much for this amazing work!

I'm glad that you enjoyed Super Metroid the first time that you played it!

Quote from: Juancho Aran on September 12, 2020, 09:22:00 PMHello friends how are you
Please someone already made the patch for "Hyper Metroid", could they help with the patch in IPS.
Thanks in advance

Of course, I can make a Widescreen patch for Hyper Metroid. Only let me finish the work I'm doing with Angry So Little Dread.

Angry So Little Dread by MetroidMst, DSO and Tedicles

The good:

-Different gravity in outer space and in indoor facilities.
-Very good graphics and music.
-It has an acceptable level design.
-It has a thermal visor, which when used allows you to see in dark rooms.
-Portals with the right color for the 4 main areas.
-Good puzzles to obtain items, you will learn new movements.
-It has good replayability, in case you want to get a better item collection percentage.
-It required you to exercise the memory muscle, because the map does not work.
-You can get important items in outer space, in fact I recommend looking for items at the beginning of the game there.

The bad:

-In the beginning the game is very difficult because the enemies have a lot of energy.
-You cannot pause the game to see the map, therefore you have to rely on the minimap to guide you, but it is very small.
-The map is broken and every time you start from a save, everything is in blue, even sometimes when you change areas, the areas you have already visited are deleted on the map.
-HUD does not work during battle against Draygon.
-You cannot use beam combos at the same time.
-Sometimes the scroll fails and the game crashes, please use save states constantly.
-The thermal visor sometimes does not work when pressing the button to which it is assigned.
-When you are in outer space, the rain of burning rocks constantly hits you and is very annoying.

It is clear that the first time you play Angry So Little Dread, you will not enjoy it much I can say, rather you will feel frustrated, but give it a second chance, since as you get more items, the game becomes better.

After working for several days to play this game on Widescreen, here is the Widescreen patch for this Little Bastard.
And since I have had to change the way Black Blocks are loaded based on Tile Sets, I also share the ASM code that I used, enjoy it!

Edited on September 14 2020

Here is the most up to date Widescreen patch for one of the most acclaimed Super Metroid hacks, Hyper Metroid (UH)

Now with a more advanced way to load Black Blocks depending if Foreground (BG1 - level data) or Background (BG2 - background data) is updating.
This avoid a Black wall on the sides that cover enemies, backgrounds and beams, when the background moves very slow, like the starry space background at the start of the game. Before this change, only was possible to use one Black Block for both Foreground and Background.

I'm sharing with you the ips patch and the asm code, enjoy it!

thuru

Hi thank you so much for this wonderful work!!!

I play the game with a patch that translates the game to my languagae, portuguese, and i elieve that the patch is not working for me because of that. Could you help me to get a widescreen patch for this game version?

I attached here the ips file that translates the unheaded CRC32 D63ED5F8 Super Metroid (JU).smc rom version. Thank you so much in advance.

ocesse

Quote from: thuru on September 19, 2020, 06:48:43 PMHi thank you so much for this wonderful work!!!

I play the game with a patch that translates the game to my languagae, portuguese, and i elieve that the patch is not working for me because of that. Could you help me to get a widescreen patch for this game version?

I attached here the ips file that translates the unheaded CRC32 D63ED5F8 Super Metroid (JU).smc rom version. Thank you so much in advance.

Here, in attachments, is the Widescreen patch for your game, I hope you enjoy playing Super Metroid in your language and on Widescreen :)

I am using the following settings in bsnes-hd beta 10.2

bsnes-hd beta 10.2 Settings - Enhancements

bsnes-hd beta 10.2 Settings - Drivers

bsnes-hd beta 10.2 Settings - Size

bsnes-hd beta 10.2 Settings - Output

bsnes-hd beta 10.2 Settings - Shader

thuru

WOOOOOW You did it!!!! Thank you so much my friend!!
I loved seeing it in this perfect widescreen patch and on portuguese, really nice!
OBRIGADO! =)

ocesse

Super Metroid - Searching for Items

Rating and Review by Syphon on Nov 09, 2019 (4 Orbs out of 5) 92% in 1:27

This hack is pretty awesome especially for a hack that was made in 2005.
It's easy and on the short side but collecting items is just so fun in this hack because they are hidden everywhere.
Plasma Beam is a bit hard to find and Ice can be missed if you don't look hard enough but other than that I had no problem finding items.
The escape was another highlight of the hack I didn't expect. Really enjoyed it.
Play this hack.

100% run, video by Aran;Jaeger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FUtnp8m4DA

Widescreen patch in attachments

Edited on October 9, 2020

Super Metroid - Oxide v3

Rating and Review by jewelediris on May 30, 2017 (5 Orbs out of 5) 163% in 1:30

I really enjoyed this hack. The first room is a bit more to do than I would've cared for but putting all the missles in the game in ONE Tank! Thats nice. It leaves the rest of the game for all the extra supers. This hack kept me on my toes. It wasn't too confusing but it made me question every possible path to take, which is exactly what Metroid should do. My only dissapointment with this hack was Lower "Easy" Norfair. by the time you get here this hack has wowed you with places, backgrounds, theme and design motif array that is awesome. Then you get to Lower "Easy" Norfair and it felt bland. its a bunch of huge rooms all with the same tilesets and having to kill all those enemies to get through those rooms is a bit much. By the time you've finished Ridley off, you are ready to just get out of Lower Norfair as quickly as possible. The Escape Sequence is brilliant. .....Murder Ship, best area name ever!

174% run, video by Aran;Jaeger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bfk_Bl5fa8

Widescreen patch in attatchments

Edited on October 11, 2020

Super Metroid - Rotation Beta 11 by SMILEuser96

Rating and Review by MetroidNerd#9001 on Aug 11, 2018 (4 Orbs out of 5) 72% in 2:17

Welcome to Walljumping: The Hack! For such a simple concept, this hack is pretty fun. Most rooms are decently moderate in difficulty to traverse through, which is par for the course considering that Super Metroid is not meant to be played this way. That being said, some rooms absolutely suck. That may have been partially due to the route I took, so I won't take off too much. Plus, they added underwater walljumping to make the rooms possible in the first place so I also can't complain too much. If you are looking for a challenge, this is the hack for you!

Since you will walljumping so much, I added the Spinjump restart patch by Kejardon and Scyzer
https://metroidconstruction.com/resource.php?id=245

Taking the last Missile:

Widescreen patch in attatchments

Juancho Aran

Players, good afternoon :)

Can someone tell me how to load the "Shader" in the "Bsnes HD Beta 10.3" emulator in the tab, none of them appear to load.

Greetings.

ocesse

Edited on February 28, 2021

DerKoun has not only fixed the configuration problems that were in version 10.3, he has added improvements in version 10.4
So far the only way to get the new Widescreen patch for Super Metroid is by getting bsnes-hd beta 10.4
Please use the newest version, it is working perfectly!
Please rename the bps patch and the bso override file like your game, something like this:

Super Metroid.smc
Super Metroid.bps
Super Metroid.bso

Quote from: Juancho Aran on October 15, 2020, 08:24:57 PMPlayers, good afternoon :)

Can someone tell me how to load the "Shader" in the "Bsnes HD Beta 10.3" emulator in the tab, none of them appear to load.

Greetings.

Please don't use 10.3, that version need some fixes.
Go back to bsnes-hd beta 10.2, everything works better in this version
And for the shaders, you need to use the video driver OpenGL 3.2

Edited on October 17, 2020

Super Metroid - Vitality by Digital Mantra

Rating and Review by Miranda Gemini on Oct 17, 2020 (5 Orbs out of 5) 53% in 4:12
I genuinely can't overstate how great this hack is.
Without spoiling the experience: DMan has made the hack of the year, and possibly the best of all time.

Play it.

Juancho Aran

Hi
I have a question.
Try applying this "Spinjump Restart by Kejardon and Scyzer.ips" patch to Super Metroid Z-Factor but it freezes. Is the patch not suitable for all Super Metroid hacks?

ocesse

Quote from: Juancho Aran on October 22, 2020, 06:22:35 PMHi
I have a question.
Try applying this "Spinjump Restart by Kejardon and Scyzer.ips" patch to Super Metroid Z-Factor but it freezes. Is the patch not suitable for all Super Metroid hacks?

Sadly is not suitable for all Super Metroid hacks.
With minor tweaks, here is the Z-Factor v1.3 compatible Spinjump Restart patch

Juancho Aran

Thanks for you help :)

Quote from: ocesse on October 26, 2020, 12:17:42 AM
Quote from: Juancho Aran on October 22, 2020, 06:22:35 PM
Hi
I have a question.

Sadly is not suitable for all Super Metroid hacks.
With minor tweaks, here is the Z-Factor v1.3 compatible Spinjump Restart patch

ocesse

Super Metroid - Falling

Release date: February 15, 2015
Author: TN
Version: 1.1

Rating and Review by MetroidMst on March 31, 2015 (4 Orbs out of 5) 87% in 4:16

Falling is one of the more interesting hacks out there. With a very strange path to explore initially and wacky item order, it really stands out compared to a lot of other hacks made in the same mold. (i.e. hacks that are somewhat vanilla, but completely new layout.) Some very fun times are had exploring the world, until you find a boss.
The major downside is that all four major bosses have been given so much extra health and damage that they become more of a chore. They certainly feel like bosses now, but they seem so out of place in this hack.
In spite of that, I still had a really fun time with this hack, and would highly recommend it. Definitely worth a playthrough just for an idea on to do a wacky item progression and pull it off if nothing else.

Fixes by PHOSPHOTiDYL on March 29, 2019

Map fix for east crateria.
1A99A6 : 27 4C 27 0C 25 8C 25 CC

Norfair door fix.
2421BD : 41

Spinjump Restart patch by Kejardon and Scyzer
https://metroidconstruction.com/resource.php?id=245

101% run, video by Aran;Jaeger on October 12, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlxFeAoeQT0

Edited on November 8, 2020

Super Metroid - Recovery v1.2

Release date: October 05, 2018
Author: MetroidNerd#9001
Version: 1.2

Rating and Review by Syphon on December 14, 2019 (4 Orbs out of 5) 89% in 3:06

This hack is great despite being a halfhack because it doesn't always feel like one.
The item order was very interesting. I kept wondering whether I missed an item but it actually turned out to be the final one.
Loved the QoL features like Respin and the fixed Space Jump. Always nice when hacks have those.
I also really liked what was done with Tourian and the escape was very good as well.
Well done. Recommended.

I will add one patch that you can use in other hacks too

Apply Patch Display Entire Map.ips

Remove Patch Display Entire Map.ips

Any% run, video by MetroidMst (ShyGuyExpress) on December 22, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G53QmVKnc28

ocesse

Super Metroid - So Little Garden

Release date: October 31, 2015
Author: MetroidMst
Version: 1.0

Rating and Review by cazort on August 01, 2018 (5 Orbs out of 5) 67% in 2:23

I LOVE this hack. Along with Hyper Metroid, it's tied for my favorite hack ever, and it's funny how I like both because the two hacks are about as opposite as you can get in a lot of ways.

I also find the other reviews a bit puzzling and I think unfairly hard on this hack. People describe it as "frustrating" and even "unfair", but I'm not getting that. I think this is one of the more accessible hacks, even though it does get genuinely difficult. It seems very carefully designed and never "unfair". Contrast with Eris, a hack I found unnecessarily difficult. This hack is hard, but it has all the types of challenges I like without the ones I don't.

I'll list my pros and cons and that'll make clear just how much I like this hack.

PROS:

* This game is marked "veteran" in terms of difficulty level but I find that it is much more accessible because the difficulty level ramps up gradually. There are some genuinely tricky points, but I find that it starts out very easy, and it gives you ample opportunity to develop the skills necessary to get through the tougher points. In early areas, enemies don't do too much damage, and they do more as the game progresses. It felt natural to me...I became more challenged as I went through the hack, and although it got up to a pretty advanced level, it felt like it took me there on a gentle slope. Save-stations are conspicuously and conveniently placed before boss fights. Nothing ever felt like it was wasting my time or toying with me; rather it felt like this hack was genuinely challenging me the way I wanted to be challenged.
* Beautiful, and totally new world with a radically different look-and-feel, incredibly well-executed. Even though it's all in one area and it just has a single tileset, much less diverse than the original game, it looks really slick. This is one of the few hacks out there that looks as good as a professionally-made game. (Eris being one of the others.)
* All new music and I love it. Not only does the main area have new music, but there is quite a lot of new music in the boss fights, and it's really great music too.
* I know some people list this as a con but I LOVE the removal of wall-jumping and bomb-jumping. I think wall-jumping is often abused by more advanced players to the point that it makes the game less fun...and this game throws a wrench in that. Maybe people complain about this game being frustrating because they've basically developed wall-jumping and IBJ to the point of breaking the intent of the original game...this game kinda restores it in a sense, and it felt more like the sort of exciting process of playing Metroid for the first time.
* Secrets are just brilliant. Some items are out in the open, some items are hidden with obvious hints, others are hidden in new and creative ways, and there are some really tricky things, utilizing new game dynamics, to get some of them. It's a great balance. And I still haven't found a large portion of the secrets...it's like there's a lot more to explore even though I've finished it.
* Some opportunity for sequence breaking using advanced techniques (including at least one trick specific to this hack.) This gives this hack rich potential for speedrunning.
* I like starting with 500 energy, and then having energy tanks only give 100. I think this makes for a smoother game progression early-game...in some hacks, and the original game, the difference between 0, 1, and 2 energy tanks feels way too big. Here it's not a huge game-changer to get a single energy tank, but it does make a difference to get a lot of them. (And the boss fights get tough, to where you actually need them.)
* Long and rich for a mini-hack. I know it's marketed as "relatively small", but it is big enough to make it feel like a real adventure. And it's a relatively full hack in the sense of using a wide range of items in the game.
* Some substantial changes to items and game dynamics. The rocket ball is such a unique idea, and synergizes beautifully with the removal of wall jumping and bomb jumping, and the different behavior of the ice beam is interesting, especially how you need to utilize it in different ways to get items and even get through the basic game progression. I love the changing of the space jump to a single-use boost. I also like the physics of double-jumping...it plays very nicely and the rooms are impeccably designed to fit with the physics.
* A lot of the really hard stuff, like some of the really difficult grapple-beam parts, is neatly compartmentalized so as not to be necessary, i.e. it's mostly to get optional missles, and you only need to do it once. Although you need to traverse certain areas of the map many times, there is nothing tedious or difficult about the retraced routes (*cough* unlike Eris *cough*) and the difficult acrobatics are mostly compartmentalized into one-time-only things.
* Enemy placement and behavior makes you think, much more than the original game. The enemies are pretty simple, for the most part, but they're used in clever ways that can throw you for a loop. Because some common enemies are pretty tanky, but easily killed by missles, I also needed to switch between missles and beams more frequently in this than in the original, and I liked that.
* I love the silly area names, and the general silly vibe. This game never seemed to take itself too seriously and that made it even more fun to play.
* Boss inovation! Rather than just replaying the same bosses with minor tweaks, this game creates totally new boss fights. Some of them are pretty simple, and some of them are more interesting than others, but the experience is novel. The game ends with a familiar boss used in a very novel way -- one that forced me to adjust my usual strategy and die several times before I got it.

CONS:

* The map is hard to read; it makes it hard to see where you've been and where you haven't. And then there's the map bug; just use savestates if you want to save.
* Boss fights lag because of too many rinkas. And in general, the over-reliance on the rinka in boss fights was the one thing I found uncreative about this hack. It made the boss fights feel too similar. But only slightly...a lot of them were genuinely fun (and sometimes hard, a few of the bosses I got killed and had to replay once or twice.)
* Several bosses you kill, but there is only a weak signal that you've progressed...i.e. the rinkas keep coming and a door opens (which might be off-screen.) This could have been better executed...maybe a change of music, stop the rinkas? I don't know. It felt anticlimactic.
* A random bug crashed my emulator once and I have no idea what triggered it...I lost a little progress (thankfully not much.)
* I wish every hack were this good. And do wish this hack were a little bit bigger. This hack really highlights all the things I want other hacks to do more of: new music, new bosses, new look-and-feel, natural progression of difficulty, change to game physics.
* Screw attack (which you can get pretty early with a minor sequence-breaking trick) makes all bosses except the last one too easy. I think this game would be improved by either making the screw attack defense-only, or making the bosses immune to it.

But these are small concerns. Overall, this hack is pretty much golden.

-- End of Rating and Review by cazort --

If you want play with the entire Map displayed since the beginning of the game, I applied the patch for you, but if you want play the game with the normal Map, then you can remove that patch.

Remove Patch Display Entire Map.ips

100% run, video by Aran;Jaeger on December 07, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD-Z7N6SAnU

Edited on November 19, 2020

Super Metroid - Ice Metal Uninstall

Release date: November 23, 2014
Author: Crys (Lunaria)
Version: 1.4.2

Rating and Review by Freyhia on May 12, 2020 (4 Orbs out of 5) 78% in 6:56

A lot of cool stuff here! But too some problems.
Good points:
-very unlinear, you can do every zones in any order you want.
-well designed, you can easely understand where to go.
-nice palette.
Bad points:
-sometimes it is a bit boring to do some long ways to go to one point, there should have more shortcuts.
-There is one door in Deep Ice, if you take it, you are back on the surface and you can't go back so you have to do a very long way just to go back.
-The room may be a bit boring, there isn't a lot in them.

conclusion:
The hack worth it, it is really good and is rebuilding super metroid in another way, it would deserve a 5 if there wasn't these little mistakes.

-- End of Rating and Review by Freyhia --

A short video showing the game in Widescreen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGtTV3zz0vE

Patches applied:
Blackout Speedups (Doors Transitions Speed, Pause Screen Speed & Door Centering Speed).ips
Elevator Speed Change (3x).ips
Rooms Fixed for Widescreen.ips
Widescreen Patch v0.2.1.ips

I repointed some asm code in the patch Spinjump Restart to the end of the Bank. I hope that this made that pach more compatible with other Super Metroid hacks.

Edited on November 19, 2020

Super Metroid - Exertion

Release date: March 29, 2019
Author: Mentlegen

Rating and Review by albert v. on July 24, 2019 (5 Orbs out of 5) 35% in 1:59

Animals Saved!
I like the idea of exploring every corner.
New music!, I like these hacks with something different from the usual.
I had fun and enjoyed searching and finding each item.
Having 2 extra suits is very nice! so that would be nice to see it in a full hack!

I must mention the colors are not my likes, but that is what blue was all about, so there is no complaint.
The game has a bit of editing errors in the map, blocks, scrolling and slopes, but their are acceptable.
I would have liked to seen new tiles, although this is a contest hack, there is no need to be so demanding.

The game has potential if it was decide to fix stuff, make it bigger and change the palettes completely.
Animals Saved!

highly recommend it.

-- End of Rating and Review by albert v. --

[spoiler]
I see that you played v1.2 which suffers from a few bugs, notably Draygon being absent for whatever reason.
- Mentlegen
[/spoiler]

Any% video by ShyGuyExpress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bqcqXeqC5Y

ocesse

Super Metroid - Nature

Release date: December 25, 2018
Author: Jefe962
Version: 1.03

Rating and Review by Derxu on January 19, 2019 (4 Orbs out of 5) 77% in 0:00

One of the best hacks I ever played. It felt really fresh, but was still a hack following the classic Metroid-Formula.
Pretty much vanilla in terms of difficulty, some slightly higher difficulty-spikes and some slight changes to the game's mechanics.
Very straight forward most of the time, with some opportunities to sequence break, which gives an interesting opportunity of routing.
In general the game built up a very nice atmosphere while I was playing it.
My only down points are that you need to use some advanced techs for certain items (correct me if I'm wrong) and an imo too tight escape timer to save the animals (didn't really try it a second time tbh), but in terms of creating a nice tension right at the end, it does a great job.
Again, very nice hack which I can recommend to everyone who likes vanilla-ish ROM-hacks.
Good job!

-- End of Rating and Review by Derxu --

Patches that I applied to Nature v1.03:

Aply Patch Spinjump Restart Compatible.ips
Clean Sides on Pause Map Screen for Nature v1.03.ips
Room Fixes for Widescreen.ips
Widescreen Patch v0.2.1.ips
Blackout Speedups (Doors Transitions Speed, Pause Screen Speed & Door Centering Speed)
Elevator speed change (3x speed)

I used SMILE RF to make the Room Fixes for Widescreen and it took me over a month, my highest respect for Jefe962 and the other talented hackers who creates all the awesome Super Metroid hacks. You really need a lot of patience !!!!

Any% video by ShyGuyExpress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncWY1x8PyxE

wyjek

Quote from: ocesse on October 15, 2020, 10:08:55 PM

Bsnes-hd 10.4 was released recently, could you tell me if it fixed the problems 10.3 had, or is it still better to use 10.2? Thanks in advance.

ocesse

Quote from: wyjek on February 22, 2021, 11:09:52 AM
Quote from: ocesse on October 15, 2020, 10:08:55 PM

Bsnes-hd 10.4 was released recently, could you tell me if it fixed the problems 10.3 had, or is it still better to use 10.2? Thanks in advance.

DerKoun has not only fixed the configuration problems that were in version 10.3, he has added improvements in version 10.4
So far the only way to get the new Widescreen patch for Super Metroid is by getting bsnes-hd beta 10.4
Please use the newest version, it is working perfectly!
Please rename the bps patch and the bso override file like your game, something like this:

Super Metroid.smc
Super Metroid.bps
Super Metroid.bso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amjZmBsIvO8

Get the latest bsnes-hd beta & the Super Metroid Widescreen patch here:
https://github.com/DerKoun/bsnes-hd

pokemon004

this looks awesome, is there a way to make the patch 21:9 instead of 16:9? how hard would it be?

ocesse

Quote from: pokemon004 on March 09, 2021, 09:51:03 AM
this looks awesome, is there a way to make the patch 21:9 instead of 16:9? how hard would it be?

It's easy to make it work in 21:9 Ultrawide aspect ratio, or rather 2:1. But at that aspect ratio, even the smallest enemies would appear on the other side of the screen, just like Samus's ship.

wyjek

Are .ips patches still required to use in conjuction with .bps file, or should I only use the latter one?

ocesse

Quote from: wyjek on March 25, 2021, 04:36:38 PM
Are .ips patches still required to use in conjuction with .bps file, or should I only use the latter one?

If you want to hard patch, either one is good.
If you want to use soft patch, the last one if available, but never together.

wyjek

I'm probably doing something wrong, but I copied .bps file as mentioned (didn't copy the .bso file as I'm using RetroArch), set the settings like in the readme but it doesn't work as intended, there's something wrong with drawing outside of the 4:3 box.

https://imgur.com/a/8LFV8SS

Do you have any idea what's wrong with my setup? Thanks in advance for the help.

ocesse

Quote from: wyjek on April 05, 2021, 03:17:51 PM
I'm probably doing something wrong, but I copied .bps file as mentioned (didn't copy the .bso file as I'm using RetroArch), set the settings like in the readme but it doesn't work as intended, there's something wrong with drawing outside of the 4:3 box.

https://imgur.com/a/8LFV8SS

Do you have any idea what's wrong with my setup? Thanks in advance for the help.

Looks like you're playing an unpatched game, maybe RetroArch's core bsnes-hd don't softpach games.

You need a bps patcher like beat:
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/893/

My latest Widescreen patch for Super Metroid is here:
https://github.com/DerKoun/bsnes-hd/tree/master/pack/gamefixes/Super%20Metroid%20widescreen%20patch

Apply the Widescreen bps patch to Super Metroid and play the patched game in RetroArch.

Edited on May 27, 2021

The RetroArch core bsnes-hd beta now support softpach and bso override files.
Standalone bsnes-hd beta v10.5 was released, with it you will get the Super Metroid - Widescreen Patch v0.3, I hope you enjoy it :)

Get the lastest bsnes-hd beta & the Super Metroid Widescreen patch here:
https://github.com/DerKoun/bsnes-hd

Mentlegen

Today I thought of this thread because I wanted to try Hyper Metroid Widescreen. I had no idea my hack Exertion was one of the chosen hacks to receive a widescreen implementation.  I am flattered. Thank you so much

ocesse

Quote from: Mentlegen on June 15, 2021, 09:48:10 PMToday I thought of this thread because I wanted to try Hyper Metroid Widescreen. I had no idea my hack Exertion was one of the chosen hacks to receive a widescreen implementation.  I am flattered. Thank you so much

Only the best Super Metroid hacks are going to have Widescreen patches and Exertion is one of them. Radon for sure will have his Widescreen patch as well, because you're doing a good job.
Here I share the new version 0.3 of the Widescreen patch for Exertion. The new version for Hyper Metroid is almost ready, I just have to solve a few small conflicts of overwritten code.
The Widescreen patch for Exertion is untested, is any of you find problems with the patch, please report them here and I can try to solve them.

Edited on June 17, 2021

The new version of the Widescreen patch for Hyper Metroid is ready, enjoy.

Super Metroid - Hyper Metroid

Release date: April 18, 2015
Author: RealRed
Version: 1.00
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=294

Rating and Review by Digital_Mantra on April 19, 2015 (5 Orbs out of 5) 42% in 1:10

Hyper Metroid is a culmination of all the best aspects on the roster of hacks put into one game.
It's made for players of all skill levels, rewarding them equally in whatever path they choose.
Every replay introduces you to a new route or sequence, a new experience that never seems to feel forced or contrived.
Everything just comes together. The layout design is structurally sound, and exploration never gets tasking or dull for a moment.
You can tell this was fleshed out with labor and love. The beautiful, lush level design embellishes from the best,
whilst retaining it's own absolute originality. Hyper Metroid's use of Grime's 'Project Base' physics bonded symbiotically to form
the most fluid gameplay experienced yet. I felt thrust into a new game, a new planet, a new Zebes.
So.. don't get Hype. Get Hyper!

-- End of Rating and Review by Digital_Mantra --

Widescreen patch v0.3 in attachments

Edited on June 18, 2021

Here is the Widescreen patch for Ancient Chozo, enjoy.

Super Metroid - Ancient Chozo

Release date: March 19, 2020
Author: Albert V.
Version: 1.1.5
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=365

Rating and Review by FV2112 on April 12, 2021 (5 Orbs out of 5) 86% in 4:06

If there is an SM hack that can cause me to suspend my disbelief enough to think that it's an official remaster of Super Metroid, it's SM Ancient Chozo. This game is absolutley GORGEOUS to look at, especially in Marida.The new soundtrack for Kraid's junction, the re-arrangement of Marida's two themes, and including an entirely NEW area of Maridia with a SNES remix of Lower Torvus are all just top-notch...
I love how the awkward and disjointed Brinstar from vanilla SM became way more developed and intuitive in this hack, especially how some of these rooms inter-connect with one another to create new shortcuts that weren't there in the original...
My only complaint would be Tourian. It really doesn't work as just a dark series of caverns with sidehoppers and metroids, it needs to be a futuristic space pirate lab. The escape sequence also needs some more visual clues so that you don't get turned around or lost. I almost didn't make it my first time.

-- End of Rating and Review by FV2112 --

Edited on June 18, 2021

Here is the Widescreen patch for Super Metroid: Z-Factor, enjoy.

Super Metroid: Z-Factor

Release date: November 30, 2012
Author: Metaquarius
Version: 1.3
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=28

Rating and Review by CaptainIronMan on December 14, 2015 (5 Orbs out of 5) No completion stats

This hack reminds me of the first time I played Super Metroid. I died a lot, didn't know where to go, and it took me a long time to finish. But after finishing it, I wanted to play it again, and when I did, it was a lot easier. This hack is pretty difficult at the beginning, but it eases up after you start collecting major items. Exploration is nice, there is an intended path, but there are also sequence breaks that aren't too difficult to pull off (kind of like vanilla Super Metroid).
I highly recommend this hack to anyone who has at least beat the original Super Metroid. This hack can help you increase your skills as a SM player.
By the way, this hack has the BEST Tourian by far out of any hack I have seen or played. It is easily the best part of the hack. I won't spoil anything because the best way to experience it is to play it without knowing anything other than that it is AMAZING.
Also, super secret room is so rewarding...

-- End of Rating and Review by CaptainIronMan --

ocesse

Here is the Widescreen patch for Super Metroid - Redux v1.2, enjoy.

Super Metroid - Redux

Release date: March 11, 2020
Author: ShadowOne333
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4963/

User Review by "eskimo44", Headline "Best way to play in 2020", Date "July 26, 2020", Version "1.2", Recommended "Yes"

Widescreen and a plethora of options including improved controls makes this IMO the best way to play the game in 2020. I didn't use the GBA physics, as I found them too fast, but everything else was a great addition. The map is a particularly handy improvement. A sincere thank you to everyone involved and their hard work.

-- End of User Review by "eskimo44" --

Edited on June 23, 2021

Here is the Widescreen patch for Super Metroid - Polarity v1.45, enjoy.

Super Metroid - Polarity

Release date: March 17, 2021
Author: Oi27, Moehr
Version: 1.45
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=641

Rating and Review by Sapphron on May 06, 2021 (5 Orbs out of 5) 90% in 1:47

Excellent hack. Super creative use of room elements, custom music, graphics, etc. It's definitely an aesthetic hack, and it's good for what it does. Story was a little odd and some of the rooms made no sense moehr-style, but that's okay. Especially the xenoparasite rooms and the outbreak system...given that it's a contest hack, I give it 5 stars for the speed and the effort put into it.

-- End of Rating and Review by Sapphron --

Edited on June 25, 2021

Here is the Widescreen patch for Super Metroid - Operation Save Thanksgiving v1.1.1, enjoy.

Super Metroid - Operation Save Thanksgiving

Release date: January 05, 2018
Author: Nodever2
Version: 1.1.1
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=362

Rating and Review by Cpt.Glitch on December 25, 2017 (4 Orbs out of 5) 88% in 0:26

(Review is for contest version)
For Nodever's first hack, this is really well done. It has that classic "vanilla" feel that a lot of older hacks have, like stardust, for example. You can tell he started with crateria first and then moved on to brinstar, as his level design improved up to that point. Items are given at a nice rate, making the player never feel under-equipped. It's a decent size for a contest entry, and was rather fun to play through. The boss of the hack is quite amusing as well. I recommend at least one playthrough. I am eager to see what nodever does in the future.

-- End of Rating and Review by Cpt.Glitch --

Edited on June 25, 2021

Here is the Widescreen patch for Super Metroid - Space Junk v1.1, enjoy.

Super Metroid - Space Junk

Release date: August 17, 2018
Author: Crystal Knight
Version: 1.1
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=384

Rating and Review by MetroidNerd#9001 on August 18, 2018 (4 Orbs out of 5) 97% in 1:15

Overall this was a pretty fun hack to play. I enjoyed the custom graphics. Though there were a few errors still in things like slopes, it didn't really break the flow of gameplay all that much. I also liked the new names for the items. There were some annoying spots, including getting to the pre-Draygon area early and not wasting time thinking I could get up the room, and one of the grapple puzzles was also a bit annoying. Also, the Missile Refill pre-Crocomire does not work. Either way, this is a fun hack, and you should play it.

-- End of Rating and Review by MetroidNerd#9001 --

ocesse

Here is the Widescreen patch for Super Metroid - Retroid v1.01, enjoy.

Super Metroid - Retroid

Release date: September 08, 2016
Author: ProjectXVIII
Version: 1.01
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=416

Rating and Review by Kremit44 on November 28, 2020 (5 Orbs out of 5) 34% in 1:34

It's very well done and it stays rather faithful but with a couple twists. There's some minor gripes to be had but overall it was a great experience. Some platforming felt cramped, a Kraid statue is used instead of a Ridley one in a couple places, the old ice beam location is annoying, the ending should be tweaked, and there was a couple graphical issues, and the Crateria map reset on me after going to Kraid. These were all very minor issues all in all for a hack that was very well done. A 5 is a little generous but there's no option for a 4.5 and I feel this hack is underrated.

-- End of Rating and Review by Kremit44 --

Edited on July 01, 2021

Here is the Widescreen patch for Super Metroid - Federation Force Trial Version, enjoy.

Super Metroid - Federation Force

Release date: June 30, 2021
Author: Metaquarius
Version: Trial Version
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=652

Rating and Review by Sapphron on June 30, 2021 No completion stats

this gets a metconst/10
finished, recommend :)

-- End of Rating and Review by Sapphron --