News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid - Widescreen Patch v0.2.1 asm

Started by ocesse, May 09, 2020, 04:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ocesse

I want share with you the Super Metroid Widescreen patch asm code.

My intention is to learn more about the game and be able to improve several things in the patch, but since that can take me a long time, it's better to share it with you, so you can do with it what you want.
Using the bsnes-hd beta emulator, I played Super Metroid Redesign v2.1 modifying only the backgrounds in the options, played it to completion and loved it.
From there, I decided to look up some information of the game to modify the scrolling subroutines and see the enemies in the 16:9 area, fortunately for me, Patrick Johnston (P.JBoy), has spent years working hard on the Super Metroid disassembly and is kind enough to share the result of his hard work.
So, thanks to that, it was possible for me to modify this extraordinary game so that at least scrolling and enemies look good in all the 16:9 area of the Widescreen. The truth is that this asm code that I am sharing consumes too much free space of the ROM and it's possible to optimize it so that it works better, but I don't have enough experience in modifying games, with time maybe I could do better.
There are so many great Super Metroid Hacks for which I wanted to adapt this Widescreen patch, that I would never end.

Before creating this asm file, I was applying the Widescreen patch to the ROM with a HEX Editor, that is very time consuming, so I tried to learn how xkas v0.06 works and how it applies JMP, JML, BRA, BRL, JSR and JSL, now that I know how it works, it is easy enough to adapt this asm code to other Super Metroid hacks and the speed with which you can do it, is amazing.

The zip file includes the following patches:
Super Metroid (JU) [!] (Unheadered).asm
Super Metroid - Redesign Axeil Edition Final (February 22 2020) (Unheadered).asm
Super Metroid - Hyper Metroid v1.0 (Unheadered ).asm
I wanted to include two examples of how to adapt the asm code to Redesign Axeil Edition and Hyper Metroid so that you can adapt it to other games, if you wish.
I know that the Widescreen patch is not yet complete and it is still necessary to fix several things, but I like to play games in these conditions, than as I did with Super Metroid Redesign v2.1 without any type of patch or fix.

Credits:

Patrick Johnston: Super Metroid disassembly
http://patrickjohnston.org/ASM/ROM%20data/Super%20Metroid/

Kazuto: Blackout Speedups (Doors Transitions Speed, Pause Screen Speed & Door Centering Speed)
http://metroidconstruction.com/resource.php?id=75

Lioran: Elevator speed change
http://metroidconstruction.com/resource.php?id=104

Kejardon & Scyzer: Spinjump restart (Not included with the asm code, but in some Widescreen ips patches)
https://metroidconstruction.com/resource.php?id=245

Any Widescreen Patch in ips format that I release, include the work done by these guys.

Take care and be well!

Edited on September 19, 2024
Please, get the up to date version of the Widescreen patch here:
https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,5168.msg73995.html#msg73995

nodever2

This is great! Thanks for releasing this, I'm sure many of us will enjoy being able to repoint this patch and use it for our favorite hacks :grin:

Gideon Ike

Sorry for my ignorance, but how do I use the .asm file to patch a rom?

ocesse

Quote from: Gideon Ike on June 06, 2020, 05:46:01 PM
Sorry for my ignorance, but how do I use the .asm file to patch a rom?
xkas Tutorial: How to apply ASM patches to a rom
If you want a Widescreen patch in ips format, tell me what is the game you want to play on Widescreen and I'll see if I can create the patch for you

Gideon Ike

Thanks for your attention ocesse, I would be thankful if you make a patch to play super metroid redesign axeil edition

ocesse

Here is the Widescreen patch in ips format for you, please use the emulator bsnes-hd beta 10.2 or the RetroArch core to play your patched game.

I'am using these settings in Enhancements options in bsnes-hd beta 10.2

If BG3 that does not cover the entire screen, there is a setting that you can edit in the Enhancements tab of bsnes-hd beta 10.2, BG3: > 40 or BG3: on, not perfect at the moment, but DerKoun will give us more options in the next version of bsnes-hd beta.
X-Ray Scope and other effects, for example when you take Varia Suit, they work better if you set Ignore window: none

Other options that I like to use:
Settings > Output: Stretch
Settings > Output: Show Overscan Area

Gideon Ike

Very thankful ocesse, I´m going to try this awesome work you made here. Thanks for your effort. I have a question, searching on the hacks I can´t figure where to download patch for axeil edition february 2020 final, on the hacks list there is only 2018 version

ocesse

Oh yeah, I'm sorry about that, it's seems that the release page only have the Version FINAL (8/30/2018), but in the same page there is Other Links: Website, go to Drewseph web page where you can get the more up to date version, from February 22 2020.

For everybody that can't port the Widescreen patch asm code to his favourite Super Metroid hack, only tell me which is that game and I can try to make a Widescreen patch in ips format for you.

This Widescreen patch in ips format is for Super Metroid - Retroid v1.01

Enjoy it!  :)

Gideon Ike

ocesse

Edited on June 11,2020

Please don't use the Super Metroid - Ascent v1.12 - Widescreen Patch v0.2.1.ips that you see attached on this Reply, because you will get a crash in the ending part of the game, (thanks for the heads up, benox50), instead I ask you the use of the new version of the Widescreen patch that you can download in the Reply #12 of this thread.
Don't worry, your original saves will still working, even your save states, only rename them with the same name of the new patched game.

Original comment:

You are welcome :)

And here is a Widescreen patch in ips format for Super Metroid - Ascent v1.12, one of the most highly rated game on Metroid Construction Web site.

Gideon Ike

Thanks a lot again. metroid ascent is one of my all the time favourite metroid hack ever!!!

benox50

WideScreen with Ascent 1.12 has a crash near EndGame. That issue will get parsed in the fixes for 1.13
The other known crash is pausing during auto reserve in 1.12. Im slowly taking care of them

ocesse

Quote from: benox50 on June 10, 2020, 04:20:30 PM
WideScreen with Ascent 1.12 has a crash near EndGame. That issue will get parsed in the fixes for 1.13
The other known crash is pausing during auto reserve in 1.12. Im slowly taking care of them
Right now I'm playing Ascent v1.12, I am in the Second Zone with 85.0% of items and 5 hours and 44 minutes. In the first one I get 92% of items. I enjoying your game, I don't know how long it took you to create this game, but music, graphics, effects, level design and puzzles are amazing. You make me feel smart when I solve those puzzles     :yay:
Thanks for creating this game.
I think it's great that you will fix the crashes that the game suffers when the Widescreen patch is applied and when v1.13 is released, I'm going to play it again.
Darkholme Hospital and Lost World also crash when you enter to one specific room in each game, I haven't fixed the Widescreen patch version for these yet. I fixed the Widescreen patch for Retroid and you can play it from start to finish without problems.

[spoiler]Ohh, Nice, VER. 1.2[/spoiler]

Edited on June 11, 2020

I finished Ascent v1.12 in 11:21 hours and 94.5% of items collected and after experienced myself the two crashes that you mentioned, by the way, thanks for the heads up, I decided to investigate what was happening.
I removed the Lioran's 2x Elevator Speed Patch and now Ascent v1.12 not crashes in the ending part, there was a conflict with your elevator's subruotine, but anyway, we don't need it in this game.
The crash when you pause while auto reserve refilling is caused by the emulator bsnes-hd beta, is not the Widescreen Patch fault, but this crash is very hard to make even if you want do it.
After further testing, I have found that Ascent v1.12 without Widescreen Patch applied also crash on Snes9x v1.60 if you pause while auto reserve is refilling you life.

And here is the fixed Widescreen patch in ips format for Super Metroid - Ascent v1.12, now you can play it from the beginning to the ending credits in Widescreen without a crash, well, unless you intentionally want to.

Edited on June 12, 2020

Quote from: nodever2 on May 12, 2020, 11:54:08 AM
This is great! Thanks for releasing this, I'm sure many of us will enjoy being able to repoint this patch and use it for our favorite hacks :grin:
You are welcome and yes, that's the intention, I alone can't make the Widescreen patch compatible with every Super Metroid hack.

I played The Blue Plague and it was a blast, very good level design and good graphics, the detail that you can see the planet getting bigger as the asteroid reaches it, thanks for doing it nodever2.
About BG3 that does not cover the entire screen, there is a setting that you can edit in the Enhancements tab of bsnes-hd beta 10.2, BG3: > 40 or BG3: on, not perfect at the moment, but DerKoun will give us more options in the next version of bsnes-hd beta.
X-Ray Scope and other effects, for example when you take Varia Suit, they work better if you set Ignore window: none
Other options that I like to use are Settings > Output: Stretch and Settings > Output: Show Overscan Area
For now it looks like DerKoun is taking a break from bsnes-hd beta programming, but once he resume his work on his emulator and release a new version, I'll see what I can improve in the widescreen patch.

Below is attached the ips file of the Widescreen patch for Super Metroid - The Blue Plague v1.1.1

Edited on June 14, 2020

Return of Justin TP2 - v3.0 is a hack with graphics in the purest style of ZX Spectrum, the level design remembers NES Metroid 1. At first they may seem like simple graphics, but as you progress through the game, you really come to love them. This hack has a very good progress rate and the order in which you get the items is excellent. The only criticism I have towards the game is that it does not have a properly designed ending, since it ends when you enter Chozodia, although you already know this because it's in the Incomplete category.
Please do yourself a favor, play this game, but play it on Widescreen and you will have an zxcellent zxperience.

Below you'll find the Widescreen patch that you can apply to Return of Justin TP2 - v3.0 for Unheadered ROM, like all the Widescreen patches that I shared, unless otherwise stated.

Edited on June 18, 2020

Hydellius Ultimate is a hack that I really enjoyed playing, custom gfx, very good level design. The graphics, different enemies and the atmosphere of each area, make it really feel like a very different planet from Zebes. I liked the amount of mini puzzles you have to solve to obtain Items and advance in the game. You can tell that TROM used a lot of time to design the gates system, although sometimes a bit confusing, they give the game a longer duration. I got lost several times and I enjoyed finding the place where I had to go and after 15 hours, I managed to finish it with 66% of Items collected.
Good work, TROM, I recommend this game and I will give it 4 out of 5 orbs.

For Unheadered game, here is the Widescreen patch for Hydellius Ultimate.

LiquidDreams

How about a patch for Eris and Ancient Chozo? :razz:

benox50

Ocesse, The Ascent 1.12 auto reserve crash is not part of WideScreen yes, I dont know why I said that, but thanks for taking a stab at it before I did.

Also Ancient Chozo has it already, but idk about Eris ?

ocesse

Quote from: LiquidDreams on June 25, 2020, 03:13:12 PM
How about a patch for Eris and Ancient Chozo? :razz:
I can provide you a new Widescreen patch v0.2.1 for Eris 2012, but sadly Ancient Chozo v1.1.5 don't work on bsnes-hd beta right now, maybe in the next version. Do you want a widescreen patch for Ancient Chozo v1.1.0?

Quote from: benox50 on June 25, 2020, 05:36:51 PM
Ocesse, The Ascent 1.12 auto reserve crash is not part of WideScreen yes, I dont know why I said that, but thanks for taking a stab at it before I did.

Also Ancient Chozo has it already, but idk about Eris ?
No problem about that, in fact when I re-read your comment, I really understand that the second crash is for other reasons. Ancient Chozo v1.1.0 and Eris 2012 has the older version v0.2 of the Widescreen patch, I will updete the patch for these games.

Edited on June 25, 2020

The past days I was playing a very good Super Metroid hack called Phazon Hack v0.4. For me this is a 5 orbs game, all enemies have new graphics, the complete game has new graphics, is big with tons of secrets to discover, will take you hours to find every single item. I enjoyed a lot this game, I recommend that you play it.

In the attachments you will find the Widescreen patch for it.

Edited on June 26, 2020

I'm sorry Digital_Mantra, Requiescat In Pace Jordan
I finally finished Eris 2012, that was a fu..ing epic final, thanks for doing this great game, Digital_Mantra.

Edited on June 27, 2020

Here is the Widescreen patch for Project Base 0.7.3

ocesse

I want share with you this Widescreen patch, is for Super Metroid - YPX v1.03 (Unheadered), please enjoy

Edited on July 19, 2020

I have some new Widescreen patches, they are for the next Super Metroid hacks made by YP:

Super Metroid - YPX v1.04 (Unheadered)
Super Metroid - YP Hell v1.0 (Unheadered)

In attachments you can get Super Metroid - YPR v1.10 (Unheadered), later I will share a Widescreen Patch for it.

Chish

widescreen is a good quality of life update!  :^_^:

ocesse

Quote from: Chish on July 01, 2020, 05:04:24 PM
widescreen is a good quality of life update!  :^_^:
Yes, I'm playing all the Super Metroid hacks in Widescreen.
If you want a Widescreen patch for one Super Metroid hack that you love, only tell me and I will try to make it   :nod:

Edited on July 4, 2020

Here is the Widescreen patch for the new game of Moehr and Albert V. Temple of the Winds v1.2 (Unheadered)

Edited on July 29, 2020

Super Metroid - YPR v1.10 is a hard hack made by YP, after playing it for some days I was unable to find the 100% of items.
Here in attachments you can find the Widescreen patch for it, is for Unheadered ROM

Edited on August 5, 2020

I want share with you the Widescreen Patch for Super Metroid - Door Speedup by P.JBoy
Get the file door speedup.asm here: http://patrickjohnston.org/ASM/ROM%20data/Super%20Metroid/

One video of the comparison with the vanilla game in the Youtube channel of Nodever2 Hacks Metroid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHz-rt0H18I
Blazing Fast Door Transitions by PJBoy (test 2)

Edited on August 8, 2020

Super Metroid - Rulers of Ruin is a fun and short hack that you can play to entertain yourself for half an hour. Was made by Jkp-troid in 2013 and use
the tileset of Symphony of the Night.

You can get his Widescreen Patch at the end of the post.

ocesse

Super Metroid - Revolution EX is a hack made by RealRed and was released on September 02, 2008.

This is a hard hack without a map, that sometimes makes you get lost and you don't know where to go. Definitely the hardest part is the hell run and facing a boss there. It is a visually acceptable hack and has some good ideas well applied. Overall I liked it and I enjoyed playing it for about 5 hours.
If you don't like difficult games, better avoid it. But if you decide to play it, here I share his Widescreen patch.

Edited on August 26, 2020

Super Metroid - Breach was released on Dec 25, 2017 by Leodox

This has the toughest battle against Crocomire of any Super Metroid hack I've played.
When you face Kraid it is very likely that you will run out of missiles, late in the battle the enemies that give you missiles do not appear. Be careful how you manage your ammo.
I liked facing Phantom, it has changes that make the battle interesting.
The warp system is different from any other game, the only bad thing is that the map is broken and that makes it difficult for you to advance in the game because sometimes you don't remember where you should go.
Something I didn't like is that you have to execute advanced techniques in order to advance, like opening Super Missile doors on the opposite side.
It is clear that the author of the hack dedicated a lot of time to the design of the rooms and the way to obtain the items, but he left his work incomplete and without polishing details.
It has bugs and it is recommended to use save states regularly.
If you want to play this game on Widescreen, here is its patch.

channjose

Hello everybody, is there a ips for the widescreen hack for Super Metroid without any hack? im playing it for the first time, I tried the asm file but nothing happened in game and the Redesign Axeil Edition ips up there, crashes the game for me but as I said, I want to play the original game without any modifications.

ocesse

Quote from: channjose on August 27, 2020, 10:59:53 AM
Hello everybody, is there a ips for the widescreen hack for Super Metroid without any hack? im playing it for the first time, I tried the asm file but nothing happened in game and the Redesign Axeil Edition ips up there, crashes the game for me but as I said, I want to play the original game without any modifications.

I share with you the most updated Widescreen patch that I have, it's for Super Metroid (JU) [!] (Unheadered).smc
I have fixed some rooms with the Super Metroid Smile RF editor, so that they look better on Widescreen, because the creators of this excellent game did not need to put graphics outside the 4:3 area, I also made a small change to the pause screen with Samus's items and map.

If you have never played this game, I recommend that you preferably play it without this Widescreen patch, since it is not complete and in some parts you will see broken graphics. There is still work to be done on the emulator part and also on the Widescreen patch part.

If you really want to play Super Metroid your first time and on Widescreen, then get bsnes-hd beta 10.2 and please use the settings I recommend in Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 07:58:21 PM, just change the following option to make the changes I have recently made work, BG2:on

bsnes-hd beta 10.2
https://github.com/DerKoun/bsnes-hd/releases

channjose

Quote from: ocesse on August 27, 2020, 11:27:04 PM
Quote from: channjose on August 27, 2020, 10:59:53 AM

I share with you the most updated Widescreen patch that I have, it's for Super Metroid (JU) [!] (Unheadered).smc
I have fixed some rooms with the Super Metroid Smile RF editor, so that they look better on Widescreen, because the creators of this excellent game did not need to put graphics outside the 4:3 area, I also made a small change to the pause screen with Samus's items and map.

If you have never played this game, I recommend that you preferably play it without this Widescreen patch, since it is not complete and in some parts you will see broken graphics. There is still work to be done on the emulator part and also on the Widescreen patch part.

If you really want to play Super Metroid your first time and on Widescreen, then get bsnes-hd beta 10.2 and please use the settings I recommend in Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 07:58:21 PM, just change the following option to make the changes I have recently made work, BG2:on

bsnes-hd beta 10.2
https://github.com/DerKoun/bsnes-hd/releases

Thank you very much my friend! I decided to play the game on widescreen for the first run although I know there should be some bugs but it looks so good I can't resist and with your settings, for now everything is working great

channjose

I just wanted to reply to my own message because I want to say that as a first time player of this fantastic game and played it with the widescreen hack, it was completely playable and enjoyable, thank you very much for this amazing work!

Juancho Aran

Hello friends how are you
Please someone already made the patch for "Hyper Metroid", could they help with the patch in IPS.
Thanks in advance