News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid - Widescreen Patch v0.2.1 asm

Started by ocesse, May 09, 2020, 04:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ocesse

Here is the Widescreen Patch v0.3.05 for Super Metroid - Biohazard v1.05 (UH), I hope you enjoy it.

Super Metroid Biohazard

Release date: December 25, 2021
Authors: Mentlegen and SMILEuser96
Version: 1.05
Release Page:
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=674
Forum Thread:
https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,5457.msg70164.html

Average runtime: 2 hours and 42 minutes
Average collection: 63% of items
Rating: 4.1 orbs

Review by ocesse on February 20, 2022

To be a hack of a contest, it's big, it took me more than 3 hours to finish it and the truth is that those hours I played were fun. I liked his music and graphics, especially his music which is outstanding. The new anti-gravity mechanic isn't new to Super Metroid hacks, but turning Samus upside down is new, I don't know how they pulled that off, but it's technically impressive. I recommend this game because it is fun. Play it!

-- End of Review by ocesse --

Widescreen patch v0.3.05 in attachments

Lich_King

Hi Ocesse. Thank you very much for your hard work on this Patch.

I patched the file Super Metroid (JU) [!] (UH).smc (CRC32: D63ED5F8) with Flips and the patch v0.3.01.

It is supposed to look like this in the intro?

https://ibb.co/0DXq0Yn
https://ibb.co/dLTTtt1

If not, how can I fix it?

ocesse

The Widescreen patch is a Work In Progress, therefore there are parts of the game that are not fixed to look good on Widescreen yet, the Intro and the End of the game are some of them.
I've mainly focused on the gameplay.

doodle

So I tried out Cryogenesis (amazing hack btw) with the generic widescreen patch and was able to get from start to finish, this is one (and possibly the first) to add to that list of hacks that work with said generic patch.

ocesse

Thanks doodle, I'm going to start the list of Super Metroid hacks compatible with the Generic Widescreen patch.

doodle

Fugue on Globe works with the generic patch as well, but with a catch (spoilers for the hack up ahead): [spoiler]after killing a boss that makes the screen shake in their room until you leave it (in my case, Golden Torizo), the planet stops rotating, and after this happens, the game will sometimes crash randomly. Even after beating Spore Spawn, the other boss that also does the screen shake and resumes the planet's rotation, the game still crashed on me once, which makes me wonder if I just got lucky with the crashes up until Golden Torizo or if it was caused by that event.[/spoiler]

Anyways, I could not test if you can use rewind to circumnavigate the random crashes, as when I realized that that could be used to possibly avoid the crashes, I beat the game before another one came up. If someone else tests this hack and finds out that you can use rewind to bypass the crashes, you could add it to the compatibility list with a disclaimer about random crashes that can me bypassed using rewind. If not, then you might not want to add it to the list even though it would still be possible to complete the game from start to finish while having to put up with the random crashes. I'm not going to test for the potential rewind bypass because it can take a while for the game to crash and I want to move onto the next hack to test with the generic patch.

ocesse

I analyzed the Super Metroid FoG v1.2.ips patch and found that it has 55 different code overlaps with the Generic Widescreen patch, a good part of the code needs to be moved around. So, in the current state of the Generic Widescreen patch, it is not compatible with Super Metroid Fugue on Glove.
If you were able to play well into the game without crashing, you were actually very lucky. And thanks for testing the Generic Widescreen patch with several different hacks.

doodle

Speaking of hacks incompatible with the generic patch, could you also add hacks not compatible with the patch? It would be useful for people looking at it imo. If so, then you can add Hotlands as one that is incompatible; it crashes upon getting grapple beam.

Another thing, something I forgot to mention that rarely happened in both Cryogenesis and FoG is that sometimes the screen would not scroll. Luckily, it could be fixed by simply exiting and reentering the room, as the screen would not scroll one way fully, but would be able to scroll the other ways fully.

Also, do you plan to ever add hacks with dedicated widescreen patches to that list? It would be more convenient than just checking all of the pages of this forum with ctrl+f to see if a hack you want to play has a dedicated widescreen patch for it.

ocesse

Quote from: doodle on February 28, 2022, 05:53:32 PM
Also, do you plan to ever add hacks with dedicated widescreen patches to that list? It would be more convenient than just checking all of the pages of this forum with ctrl+f to see if a hack you want to play has a dedicated widescreen patch for it.
I can make a separate list of hacks not compatible with the generic widescreen patch, like Hotlands as you said.
I don't know if I can make another list of hacks that have their own Widescreen patches, I really don't have much free time.

doodle

So I was able to complete Searching for Items, but the patch causes some issues.

First of all, if you aren't falling while picking up gravity, you will get softlocked in the wall, possibly because picking up gravity or varia teleports you to the middle of the screen, and the middle of the screen is moved to the left in the gravity room due to the increased aspect ratio.

Second, if you save at the ship and reload, you consistanly get sent to some mysterious room with Spore Spawn to the left, who you can't even interact with. The first save in Norfair works, but jumbles up your map. The second one in that area sends you to a different room than the save room, though it's very close to the save room. The map also gets jumbled up at that station as well. Luckily, unlike FoG, I never encountered a single crash.

If you want to play this hack with the generic patch, you can use save states at the save rooms (I was too lazy to test reloading at the other save stations). This hack has enough issues that it can be considered incompatible for the sake of the list.

And one more note: the scrolling issue happened to me once on this hack as well, which likely means every hack which can have this hack applied to it and get into gameplay can have this issue (especially since Cryogenesis had no other issues), just FYI.

I'll be going on to test Legacy next, let's hope no problems arise in that hack as well.

ocesse

I have a better idea so you don't waste too much time trying to check if any Super Metroid hack is compatible with the Generic Widescreen patch.
You can use LSA - Patch Checker, it is a small program that analyzes if two ips patches are compatible.
For example, if you have
Legacy_UH.ips and
Generic Widescreen patch v0.3.05.ips,
select them in that order and save a report as Report 01.txt
Close the program and reopen it, but now select them in reverse order
Generic Widescreen patch v0.3.05.ips and
Legacy_UH.ips
Save a report as Report 02.txt
This is to make sure that the 2 patches are compatible because the program sometimes doesn't detect well when you just select the patches in one order.
If the 2 reports show that the two patches are 100% compatible, you can now play them to see if they are playable from start to finish.
There may still be compatibility problems due to the use of the free RAM memory, the program only checks compatibility in ROM space.

H A M

super metroid but all enemies (excluding bosses) are twice as big

ocesse

Edited on September 19, 2024
Please, get the up to date version of the Widescreen patch here:
https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,5168.msg73995.html#msg73995

Here is the Widescreen Patch v0.3.06 for Super Metroid (JU) [!] (UH), I hope you enjoy it.

Super Metroid (SNES)

Release date: April 18, 1994 (NA)
Developers: Nintendo R&D1 & Intelligent Systems
Publisher: Nintendo
Director: Yoshio Sakamoto
Producer: Makoto Kano
Programmer: Kenji Imai
Artists: Hirofumi Matsuoka, Masahiko Mashimo & Hiroyuki Kimura
Composers: Kenji Yamamoto & Minako Hamano

World Record: 1h 12m 53s (RTA) on 2021-07-31
Player: ShinyZeni
Collection: 100%

Widescreen patch v0.3.06 in attachments

ocesse

Here is the Widescreen Patch v0.3.06 for Super Ethical Metroid CSE v1.3 (UH), I hope you enjoy it.

Super Ethical Metroid: Community Service Edition

Release date: April 01, 2022
Author: dewhi100
Version: 1.3
Release Page:
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=694
Forum Thread:
https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,5493.0.html

Average runtime: 2 hours and 40 minutes
Average collection: 86% of items
Rating: 4 orbs

Review by ocesse on April 23, 2022

It was released on April 1st, but it's big and fun to be a joke, the game's author explained the intention of the game, but it's more than that. The new X-Ray Scope way of working is very well done and at first I didn't know how to use it, it feels good when you discover its use.
It's a pain to navigate through the Error area, but it's nice that the first time you enter to it, the exit is near. This area is so confusing I was thinking I was in a Lost Caverns type puzzle, but no, it's just the rooms are too similar but that layout of the rooms was done this way intentionally. I almost gave up on the Error area, but keep going until I progress further into the game and found the little Lost Cavern type puzzle, GOOD JOB.

-- End of Review by ocesse --

ocesse

Here is the Widescreen Patch v0.3.06 for Super Metroid - Planet of Barren v1.0 (UH), I hope you enjoy it.

Super Metroid - Planet of Barren

Release date: May 02, 2022
Author: Nobucky (ノブッキー —)
Version: 1.0
Release Page: N/A
Forum Thread:
https://smethack.f5.si/?%A5%A2%A5%C3%A5%D7%A5%ED%A1%BC%A5%C0%2FSuper%20Metroid%20Planet%20of%20Barren

Project Base Discord Server

Nobucky (ノブッキー —) 02/05/2022
Hello.
I have completed the hack using the project base.
It is currently in debugging play.
The title of the hack is super metroid Planet of barren.
Once the debug play is complete, we will upload it to DropBox and publish it.

We are in the process of testing the sequence break and will be able to release it this week.

It was less buggy than I thought it would be, and now that it's fixed and confirmed, I've uploaded it to the dropbox!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bocaot4rlud8jc/super%20metroid%20Planet%20of%20barren%20v1.0.zip?dl=0

Super Metroid - Planet of Barren v1.0 is a Super Metroid hack based on Project Base v0.7.2.
It uses Project_Base_0.7.2_Gameplay_Only by begrimed and Varia customizer by theonlydude
It feels like a plando for PB v0.7.2

I finished it with 94% of items in 3h 43m

ocesse

Here is the Widescreen Patch v0.3.06 for Super Metroid Escape2 Ver1.9, I hope you enjoy it.

Super Metroid - Escape2

Release date: March 31, 2014
Author: Hiroishi
Version: 1.9
Release Page:
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=38
Forum Thread:
https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,3125.0.html

Average runtime: 5 hours and 59 minutes
Average collection: 84% of items
Rating: 4.4 orbs

Review by brized on January 29, 2021

This is like if Takashi Tezuka made a Metroid game. Very fun level design and puzzles, and built for replays with sequence breaking and multiple routes.
This is the only romhack I've played where the X-ray visor feels good to use.
Maridia can be done without gravity suit. Impressive.
Directional shinesparking seems to have come from this romhack; if so that's a huge feat. I'd have liked for its "wall bounce" window to have a few more frames to make it feel more like a wall jump in execution. That, or make the window to unmorph and jump to retain speed boost to be 3-4 frames instead of 1. This would make the insane shinespark puzzles fun instead of frustrating. Or, if there are any techniques for retaining a speed boost charge so you *don't* need to shinespark wallbounce or speed unmorph and then store a shinespark, those techniques should be explained in the manual or through the game itself.
Got stuck finding Kraid and Ridley's lairs because I forgot I had passed their entrances before, but didn't have power bombs at the time. Making those entrances more emotionally striking with visuals would have helped with remembering.
One of the all-time best SM romhacks, blue or not.

-- End of Review by brized --

ocesse

Here is the Widescreen Patch v0.3.06 for Super Metroid Hotlands v1.1, I hope you enjoy it.

Super Metroid - Hotlands

Release date: December 27, 2021
Author: MetroidNerd#9001
Version: 1.1
Release Page:
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=676
Forum Thread:
https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,5459.0.html

Average runtime: 1 hour and 14 minutes
Average collection: 75% of items
Rating: 4.7 orbs

Review by Zhs2 on December 31, 2021

Good short-ish gimmick hack. The limited number of upgrades you find were always useful, and the optional ones make some things easier but some other things harder in return. The room based bosses were simple but not frustrating. The single vanilla boss was balanced to match the limited resources of the hack. The creator definitely put Super Metroid's existing resources to good use. I don't know what other hacks were in the contest but I bet this hack definitely deserved placing in the top three. Also, my sister had to tell me the music was stolen from Undertale.

-- End of Review by Zhs2 --

MetroidPlayer

Quote from: ocesse on April 14, 2022, 09:40:32 PM
Here is the Widescreen Patch v0.3.06 for Super Metroid (JU) [!] (UH)

What's new in this version?

ocesse

Here is the changelog of the last 6 releases:
Super Metroid - Widescreen Patch v0.3.01 - Fixed wraping problem of Samus' ship
Super Metroid - Widescreen Patch v0.3.02 - Fixed garbage tiles in Norfair's door transitions
Super Metroid - Widescreen Patch v0.3.03 - Clean up unnecessary comments and code
Super Metroid - Widescreen Patch v0.3.04 - Draw Mother Brain's brain in the Widescreen Area
Super Metroid - Widescreen Patch v0.3.05 - Turrets in Mother Brain room
Super Metroid - Widescreen Patch v0.3.06 - Crocomire fix and Widescreen patch code in Bank $B8

ocesse

Here is the Widescreen Patch v0.3.06 for Super Metroid Cryogenesis v1.0, I hope you enjoy it.

Super Metroid - Cryogenesis

Release date: January 08, 2022
Author: Onnyks
Version: 1.0
Release Page:
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=682
Forum Thread:
https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,5465.0.html

Average runtime: 4 hours and 32 minutes
Average collection: 80% of items
Rating: 4.7 orbs

Review by Zhs2 on January 13, 2022

You don't know how cool it is for various assembly patches to be showcased in a hack until you play the full-fledged hack that actually showcases them. Allow me to say first that the new item is the most satisfying way to kill those spiked Maridia floor hiders, hands down. Beyond that, this hack does very interesting things with transitions from foreground to background and rooms within rooms. The screenshots don't showcase the rooms with the hands, but this is the hack you come to for the rooms with the creatively tiled hands (among other things). My only complaint about this hack is that Hotlands seemed like a more intuitive and user-friendly experience than this one, but this hack is by no means evil - just extremely damaging at certain parts, and a little obscure in the case of finding grapple beam. Recommend you definitely give this winner of the contest it was in a try today.

-- End of Review by Zhs2 --

ocesse

Here is the Widescreen Patch v0.3.06 for Super Metroid - Redesign v2.1, I hope you enjoy it.

Super Metroid - Redesign

Release date: February 10, 2007
Author: Drewseph
Version: 2.1
Release Page:
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=34
Web Site:
https://drewseph.zophar.net/

Average runtime: 17 hours and 26 minutes
Average collection: 76% of items
Rating: 3.1 orbs

Review by squishy_ichigo on April 11, 2015

This was my first hack, and is what got me into Super Metroid hacking. It's an amazingly large overhaul of the game, and even today, we are only just now getting to the level of polish that was in this game. It expands the size of the game to three to four times the size of the original.

It's a fine game, and has some rewarding experiences, such as:
-large map to explore
-lots of polish in the hack make it look professional
-when you finally beat it, its a rewarding experience, with how hard it can be

A sample of things I didn't like:
-the physics are not very fun, gravity is too heavy
-enemies are too hard far too often, you never really feel like your OP until the end of the game
-spend a large amount of time to get an item, and it only adds 1 to your ammo total
-gauntlets of death that makes playing console condition next to impossible
-wasting time with pointless lost caverns section that isn't fun
-sand in maridia makes getting around really hard
-looking forever and a half for chozo guardians, since the hack is so large, and you get next to no clues
-tourian is hard as shit, and made me rage quit my first time playing

OVERALL, I feel the negative parts of the hack outshine the fun that you could have otherwise, which is a shame, considering how much work and how polished the game is.

-- End of Review by squishy_ichigo --

RodBlanc

Hey ocesse, you think its possible to do 21:9 ultrawide patch?

I'm playing a lot of super on my phone while going to work and always using your patches to make it wide screen but still has those giant black bars again.

I don't know if it is possible but i have a dream.

ocesse

In 21:9 Ultrawide, large enemies and Samus's ship would be seen on the other side of the screen, with the current state of the Widescreen code. Getting the 16:9 Widescreen patch to work well in Ultrawide takes a lot of tedious work, but free time is always limited, at least I can't do it at the moment, I'm sorry RodBlanc.

ocesse