News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Talk of the Day

Started by squishy_ichigo, May 15, 2009, 11:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

interdpth

Quote from: Kazuto on July 15, 2016, 10:38:38 PM
Quote from: passarbye on July 12, 2016, 12:42:26 PM
If you're going to be playing/emulating old games all the time, then I recommend the adapter, but otherwise just use a DS4 or what you're comfortable with.

I actually really like the DS4, but I thought the drivers for them were kinda limited?  Or is it that they're unsigned, and Windows has to be run with certificate signing disabled to be able to use them (like with Wiimote drivers)?

I use Input Mapper, DS4 works perfect.

Kazuto

...Huh, look at that.  Input Mapper is the project I remember from when the DS4 was new, and it was known as DS4Tool.  I wondered what was going on with that.  Thanks!

Edit: Kinda crummy that they put ads into it now, though...  I mean, that's where Project 64 took a turn for the worse: when they sold it out to malware.  Ads are seriously a tiny step away from that, especially if you don't know who's buying your advertising space.

Steel Sparkle

Anyone gonna get that Mini NES when it comes out?

PonchGaming

Quote from: Steel Sparkle on July 18, 2016, 01:45:50 PM

I might ask for it, but if anything I want the controller.

Quietus

Nope. With only thirty games, and only about ten of them being any good, it struck me as a missed opportunity. I thought they'd have been better off paying fees to put the best games on there (Batman, Duck Tales, Chip 'n' Dale, Tetris, Megaman, Turtles, Bionic Commando, Contra), and making the package irresistible for a lot of people. They've since clarified that no more games will be added, though of course this won't stop the hackers.

Grimlock

Quote from: Steel Sparkle on July 18, 2016, 01:45:50 PM

Looks interesting, the game set is ok but could be better.  I'd bet they plan to release multiple Mini NES's at some point just like the other "miniature" game systems on the market.

If it works well and someone figures out how to hack it to swap the roms I might pick one up. 

Kazuto

I intend to get the NES Classic at some point mainly for the novelty of it.  =P  Although, using the NES controller with a Wiimote on the NES emulator I've got on the Wii will be pretty cool.

I'm actually more excited about the prospect of Nintendo making other "Classic" consoles, if it means they're going to release an equivalent Wiimote plugin Classic Controller to conform to the system.  I would love to see an official SNES Classic Controller pad that isn't a Japanese rewards-exclusive product.  And N64's controller is certainly unique enough that having its own Classic Controller version would be awesome, if they get that far.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Quietus on July 18, 2016, 03:09:11 PM
Nope. With only thirty games, and only about ten of them being any good, it struck me as a missed opportunity. I thought they'd have been better off paying fees to put the best games on there

That and nintendo's quick to make money cheap new console won't take any cartridges whatsoever.
Compare that to a 2ds or 3ds towards christmas time, the 3ds would be a better buy because of the online game store.
Even this product compared to it is a better buy in my opinion:
https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-SUPABOY-Portable-Console-Super-NES/dp/B005GSRPG8

Its not worth it wasting 70.00+ dollars for a mini nes, reminds me of the mini wii and how it failed.

Steel Sparkle

I won't be getting it myself. i always enjoy what you guys have to say about these matters. I say if you really wanted this wait for a price drop if that happens.

Grimlock

I don't understand why they don't make it with mini cartridges, they would probably make more money that way.  They could even include fewer games, maybe SMB 1,2,3.  Then sell the mini carts at $3 to $5 each.  :nope:

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Grimlock on July 19, 2016, 08:44:54 AM
I don't understand why they don't make it with mini cartridges, they would probably make more money that way. 

Exactly they could use the form of the ds cartridge and add maybe 5 to 10 games per pack specifying adventure, action, rpg or whatever.

The specs on it are still to new if that little console could take cartridges adding in some good benefits  maybe I might by it next year.
If they are afraid of people hacking the thing to play other games, just let them do so, for 60.00+ per sale I would if I were nintendo right now.

Honestly they wouldn't lose money if they milk it just right, besides that they're targeting parents/kids who don't have 130+ to pop out for a 3ds or wii-u.

Zero One

I'm personally not going to get one, unless I can pick one up for cheap somewhere. I'd honestly rather buy the originals.

Having said that, the 30 games that they have got all look really good to me, with Tecmo Bowl and Balloon Fight being the only 2 I might take exception to. There's a couple of others that are pretty "meh" to me, but are surprisingly quite relevant (Ice Climbers), so it sounds like a good collection. Also, at $60, that's $2 a game. Less when you consider fabrication costs and shipping. Definitely not my thing, but a pretty damn good deal, IMO.

thedopefish

There's no way this is targeting kids, it's banking squarely on nostalgia.  And I think the everything builtin cartridgeless design is quite intentional--Nintendo is going for plug-n-play convenience, and does not want to have to deal with manufacturing and distributing a bunch of cartridges and peripherals and whatnot for several years.

I think it's a neat product with a pretty solid game list, even if I would have made a few changes were it up to me.  I personally won't be getting one though, I'm perfectly happy with VC and I don't really need yet another device plugged into my TV.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: thedopefish on July 19, 2016, 09:24:00 AM
There's no way this is targeting kids, it's banking squarely on nostalgia.  And I think the everything builtin cartridgeless design

Trust me it is nintendo is aiming at low income people and old time gamers such as you and me and grimlock.
However the way they have that little mini nes setup now, I don't feel like buying that.

Just a thought.

Jordan5

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on July 19, 2016, 10:38:30 AM
Trust me it is nintendo is aiming at low income people

People on low income would emulate, not pay for it. It's for people who have a spare $80 and want to relive playing their childhood games on a real console.

Quietus

Yup, as Jordan and thedopefish said, this is pure nostalgia material, which make it's doubly strange that they wouldn't allow some flexibility with further games.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Quietus on July 19, 2016, 04:56:38 PM
Yup, as Jordan and thedopefish said, this is pure nostalgia material, .

The 3ds system pretty much covered that if not more, if you buy it you record yourself playing it for a product review.

Jordan5

Not really very nostalgic to play it on a handheld with a small screen when you could play it on your old CRT :grin:

Quietus

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on July 19, 2016, 07:19:47 PMThe 3ds system pretty much covered that if not more, if you buy it you record yourself playing it for a product review.
How is the 3DS nostalgic in any way? It's a new machine with new games. And I have no idea what you're on about with recording yourself for a product review.

zephyrtronium

Grimlock

Well, the nice thing about it is that it's HDMI.  Getting something like RGB or HDMI out of an original NES is complicated and expensive.  Also there's scaling issues with the video signal going from the original hardware into a modern TV which in some cases can produce some really ugly muddied up graphics, poor color, and lag (analog to digital). That's why it would be a neat little package if you could hack it to swap the roms.

Quote from: Jordan5 on July 19, 2016, 02:52:02 PM
People on low income would emulate.

Nah, I don't think so...  I've worked in some fairly low income areas and I don't think any of the homes had a PC from what I could tell.  Honestly I'm just glad to have gotten out of those areas alive but that's another story.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Jordan5 on July 19, 2016, 02:52:02 PM
Quote from: Dark-SA-X on July 19, 2016, 10:38:30 AM
Trust me it is nintendo is aiming at low income people

People on low income would emulate, not pay for it.

Not really not everyone around the world knows how to emulate games such as you and I.
Besides that choosing between emulated and having it in a petite console box like that people would play it that way.
I was listening to the radio just the other day and the dj was stoked that the little console was coming.
He reminiscence of how he had his old nes and had a libary full of games all over his room with his brother.

thedopefish

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on July 20, 2016, 11:50:49 AM
I was listening to the radio just the other day and the dj was stoked that the little console was coming.
He reminiscence of how he had his old nes and had a libary full of games all over his room with his brother.

So, precisely nostalgia, like we said.

Surely a low-income family would be more inclined to buy, say, a used last-gen console on the cheap rather than a new NES mini.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: thedopefish on July 20, 2016, 11:59:25 AM
Surely a low-income family would be more inclined to buy, say, a used last-gen console on the cheap rather than a new NES mini.

Hmm alright then since your sure of that go prove it between now and thanks giving holidays.
Tell anyone you might meet on the road, stores or wherever you go and mention that.
Give them a choice between choosing the old nes with cartridges or the mini nes with the games listed.

thedopefish

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on July 20, 2016, 01:17:25 PM
Hmm alright then since your sure of that go prove it between now and thanks giving holidays.
Tell anyone you might meet on the road, stores or wherever you go and mention that.
Give them a choice between choosing the old nes with cartridges or the mini nes with the games listed.

I don't have to prove anything, especially not in such an arbitrary timeframe.  Plus literally nobody said we were comparing the NES mini to the original NES.