News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Talk of the Day

Started by squishy_ichigo, May 15, 2009, 11:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietus

Ha, this has gone from strength to strength as far as being weird is concerned. I'm getting a distinct 'say the first thing that comes into your head' feel. :neutral:

Zero One

daft people making daft posts, film at 11

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Zero One on July 20, 2016, 01:44:38 PM
daft people making daft posts, film at 11

Just get off the phone with canon.com after 2 hours.
Found out my new 3 time used printer is malfunctioning and the roller is so cheaply made.
Bought it in november of last year, luckily my warrenty was still valid it'll be a week before I see a new one.
I heard canon printers werent that great and sure enough I see why. -_-
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-PIXMA-MG2520-Photo-All-in-One-Wired-Inkjet-Printer/28773460

Zero One

Oh yes, printers are the absolute bane of my existence. I'm getting rid of mine and just getting a shitty black-and-white laser jet. Useless pieces of shit aren't worth it :V

Unrelated, holy SHIT hunting for games jobs is hard. Been searching for a couple of hours and I've successfully sent off TWO applications. Goddamn.

siddhartha__

Quote from: Zero One on July 20, 2016, 03:41:37 PM
Unrelated, holy SHIT hunting for games jobs is hard. Been searching for a couple of hours and I've successfully sent off TWO applications. Goddamn.

on monday i sent out 58 applications asking for an internship. gmail doesn't have a 'copy draft' function so i was forced to copy+paste the text, subject and add the attachments manually. took me about 45min to send out all 58 applications.

so far i've gotten 12 responses, either saying 'yeah no', 'thanks but no thanks' or 'This is an automated message. We are reviewing your application.'.

i hope you have more success than i do 01

Zero One

Managed to send an application to Ubisoft as a Gameplay Programmer, an application to Rockstar Leeds as a Junior Network Programmer, I begged Playtonic to let me do anything and the best I could do for Epic Games was TWEET at them. oh god why

Quietus

Good luck, guys. :^_^:

Dark-SA-X

Well getting into the gaming industry field isn't easy, if it would help you could mention this website you have and possibly RHDN.
Don't know for sure how other game developers feel about rom hacking anything but with the right skill levels you should be able to get a entry level job soon.

Keeping plugging away and keep beefing up your skills after college.  :wink:

Zero One

A lot of people got their start by creating levels for Doom, Unreal Tournament, Quake, etc., so I think ROM hacking might be a pretty solid start. I can also contribute to Unreal Tournament 4, so that'd be a boost.

personitis

Quote from: Zero One on July 20, 2016, 05:26:40 PM
A lot of people got their start by creating levels for Doom, Unreal Tournament, Quake, etc., so I think ROM hacking might be a pretty solid start. I can also contribute to Unreal Tournament 4, so that'd be a boost.
I don't want to be that guy, but what exactly have you created around here? :heheh:

Scooterboot9697

While we're on the subject of jobs, I would like to mention that I finally got a job...

Washing fucking dishes. :colonrightv:
I never would've thought my first job would be as a dish washer, but I guess you gotta start somewhere in life.

But it could be worse. At least my co-workers are nice, and the food is good (I get at least one free meal which is awesome). :^_^:

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Scooterboot9697 on July 20, 2016, 07:48:03 PM
While we're on the subject of jobs, I would like to mention that I finally got a job...

Washing fucking dishes. :colonrightv:
I never would've thought my first job would be as a dish washer,  at least my co-workers are nice, and the food is good (I get at least one free meal which is awesome). :^_^:

Six years as a dish washer and a runner will take a tole on your feet and ankles, especially if you have flat feet.
Be nice to your co-workers who are willing to help and the workload will be easier at times otherwise good luck for the next 4-9 hours job.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-8666/isopropyl-alcohol/details
+
https://www.seasalt.com/salt-101/bath-salt-water-therapy/
+
http://vectortoons.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/in-bed-collection-tom-004.jpg

Survive the job till its time to move on.

Zero One

Quote from: personitis on July 20, 2016, 06:50:23 PM
Quote from: Zero One on July 20, 2016, 05:26:40 PM
I don't want to be that guy, but what exactly have you created around here? :heheh:

A couple of pretty significant things. Wait for it. It's gonna be good.

SlyPork

Quote from: Zero One on July 21, 2016, 09:16:03 AM
A couple of pretty significant things. Wait for it. It's gonna be good.

Music Editor? *pokes TheDopeFish*

siddhartha__

Quote from: charles_black on July 20, 2016, 03:48:21 PM
on monday i sent out 58 applications asking for an internship. gmail doesn't have a 'copy draft' function so i was forced to copy+paste the text, subject and add the attachments manually. took me about 45min to send out all 58 applications.

so far i've gotten 12 responses, either saying 'yeah no', 'thanks but no thanks' or 'This is an automated message. We are reviewing your application.'.

i hope you have more success than i do 01

got one reply that says "well we don't do any chemical reactions, just mixing of chemicals together. if you're still interested hit us up". on one hand, mixing is also important for chemical engineers (how much do you have to mix until something is homogenous or w/e), but... it's 2.25h away. any advice?

Kazuto

Related, just the other day, I found an entry-level opening for programmers at a local games company.  And by local, I mean it's on the other side of my state, 5+ hours away.

I don't have a car.  -_-

FelixWright

Hype for Starbound 1.0 releasing tomorrow! That's three years without a full release of the game. Chucklefish promises continued updates beyond 1.0.

Quietus

Quote from: charles_black on July 21, 2016, 04:41:04 PMany advice?
Speaking from experience, long commutes are a killer. If the job is something you definitely want, there are options as to how you could tackle it. You could move home completely, because the job is worth it; or you could try and work out some form of weekend-back-home arrangement, which means you'd only make the trip twice a week. It'll really depend on whether the job is THE job. If it's not, the cost of living arrangements and fuel soom stack up. Sleep on it, and give yourself time to consider the pros and cons.

personitis

Quote from: charles_black on July 21, 2016, 04:41:04 PM
got one reply that says "well we don't do any chemical reactions, just mixing of chemicals together. if you're still interested hit us up". on one hand, mixing is also important for chemical engineers (how much do you have to mix until something is homogenous or w/e), but... it's 2.25h away. any advice?
I know it's not Orlando, but I also know from a friend of mine that use to work there, Island of Adventure/Universal Studios theme parks offered to assist employees with rent and such things for nearby apartments. Maybe do some asking or digging around and see about possibilities of assistance.

Zero One

"After reviewing your application for the position of Gameplay Programmer (Job no. 057) based in Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom we have decided to move forward with other applications that are a better fit for this job in terms of skills and experience."

Well, that's Ubisoft down.

Quietus

At least they had the decency to reply, which is more than most employers nowadays. :neutral:

passarbye

Quote from: FelixWright on July 21, 2016, 06:14:04 PM
Hype for Starbound 1.0 releasing tomorrow! That's three years without a full release of the game. Chucklefish promises continued updates beyond 1.0.
dude I've been waiting on this since fucking 2/3 years ago! (i forget how long exactly lol) 1PM I think is when it hits EST.
Personally I wouldn't put too much faith in the team for updates, they've shit the bed way to many times before and I don't trust them a bit. That being said, I keep a faraway eye on them so I don't get disappointed, but so that I know the game is still progressing.
I just feel burned from the whole "pre-order now" business they did, but the game finally looks good though.

Jiffy

I went to the Lake District for a few days! We did fun things and I took fun photos.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
One of the rocks we went to climb. It was 32c and really high up in altitude.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
The view at the top was beautiful!

[spoiler][/spoiler]
Tuesday morning (iirc) view from the front.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
Yet another early morning view. The mountains are beautiful.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
Final view on the Monday afternoon that we arrived. Beautiful stuff. It's way more incredible looking at it first hand. If there's anywhere you want to go, go to Borrowdale Valley at the centre of the Lake District!

Jordan5

Looks great Jiffy! :grin:

I'd be interested in climbing there but I have no idea what grade system you use for something to be a 32c?

Jiffy

Quote from: Jordan5 on July 22, 2016, 03:12:18 PM
Looks great Jiffy! :grin:

I'd be interested in climbing there but I have no idea what grade system you use for something to be a 32c?
It's 32°c on the Tuesday at least. I couldn't squeeze in the degrees symbol on my PC. :P