News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Talk of the Day

Started by squishy_ichigo, May 15, 2009, 11:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietus

Damn. That's a bummer. It always feels a bit daft to me that when you're buying a computer, it's one third for the CPU, one third for the GPU, and one third for everything else. :^_^:

Zero One

Got a new 72-pin connector for my NES and finally got to verify that, yes, Zelda II and Mega Man 2 both work! I also figured out how to easily get the frontloader to pop up instead of beating it to death. And finally, got the power pack for my N64 and a video cable to replace my dead SNES one.

I have all of my Nintendo consoles running now!

Steel Sparkle

@Zero One
Nice to hear Zero!

@Dynastyx
Sorry to hear what happend. I know the feel of losing a good card. Since it happened to me. Not the same way but still. Good luck finding a new one!

Im super hyped about AM2R coming out next month! so many good hacks coming out this year too! Hopefully. Let's make this the best year for all things metroid  :^_^:

Kazuto

Quote from: Steel Sparkle on July 08, 2016, 04:13:06 PM
Let's make this the best year for all things metroid  :^_^:
Oh, I'm working on something to that end...  ;)

Dynastyx, I'm actually quite excited to see the benchmarks for the GTX 1060 after having learned about it today.  $250 US for a somewhat lesser version of the GTX 1080, which is their current high-end.  I have to imagine it'll still be a pretty decent card.

Digital_Mantra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBlBtP3-x_w

Walking into an H.R Giger poster? Holy shit yes please!

Quietus

It looks suitably disturbing, and strikes me as a game similar to BioShock, where you can find yourself getting completely absorbed in the world, and spending a tonne of time walking round looking at every piece of random scenery, just because you can.

Dynastyx

Finally decided to buy a GTX 960 to replace my defective 560 Ti. So far it's great, can't wait to try out Overwatch with this :)

I also can't wait for the release of AM2R, played the demo and it's fantastic!

FelixWright

So I picked up Pokemon GO this weekend and I'm having a great time with it so far. I'm having so much fun with this type of mobile ARG, in fact... That I had an idea for another ARG.

Megaman Battle Network ARG. Good or bad? Gyms can be more like social hubs for virus busters to meet/fight other players. Pokespots would be mystery crystals, where you open them and get a random chip or something like bugfrags. Rather than pokemon, you get a chip folder where you can manage what chips you want to use in battle. When you come in contact with a virus, you fight it MMBN-Style and earn a random chip!

Grimlock

Quote from: Zero One on July 08, 2016, 09:22:27 AM
Zelda II and Mega Man 2 both work!

I have Zelda 2 (and a bunch of other assorted NES goodies) but none of the Megaman games  :cry:.  Megaman 1, 2, and 3 are really pretty awesome classic games, congrats on getting a working MM2!  :yay:

Kazuto

Quote from: FelixWright on July 10, 2016, 11:06:40 PMMegaman Battle Network ARG. Good or bad?

Way back when the DS was an upcoming system, I was hopeful that they'd do an online Megaman Battle Network game on that, where it wouldn't be you controlling an avatar who had a Netnavi, but it would be your Netnavi.  That the shape of the network would be somewhat based on how you connected to the servers, like it's supposed to be in the actual game world.  That kind of project was probably too ambitious for a system with such lacking Internet, but we didn't know how bad it would be at the time, haha.

These days, we've got the technology... but Megaman is stuck in legal limbo.  It's gonna be a long time until anybody is allowed to make a proper Megaman game again...  =/

FelixWright

I've been in pursuit of a good PC controller for a very long time (mainly because I didn't look into it) and I've finally gotten myself what I believe is the best PC controller: The Logitech G F310. It's an inexpensive (~$26.50), yet incredibly well-built and designed controller for its price.

In contrast to most controllers out there, it has an exclusive 4-switch D-Pad. Testing it out myself, I can say bye-bye to accidental morphs while walljumping. It's also got two controller modes (flight mode and "race" mode or something. race mode is default.), and a switch on the back to change between XInput and DirectInput. The layout of the controller is similar to that of the DualShock 3.

Some may say that the DualShock 3 is a great controller too, but it costs twice as much and It's hard to find drivers for it that aren't adware.

If you're looking for a controller that caters to D-Pad players, I would highly suggest this over anything else I've seen on the market.

Quietus

I could never get on with any controller with a circular D-Pad, so it wouldn't be for me, but I've no doubt that it's quality if it's from Logitech. They're one of the few companies I would ever openly praise. They have exceptional customer service too, so don't worry if you ever have a problem with it. :^_^:

Grimlock

Quote from: FelixWright on July 11, 2016, 07:05:34 PM
I've finally gotten myself what I believe is the best PC controller: The Logitech G F310. It's an inexpensive (~$26.50), yet incredibly well-built and designed controller for its price.

I'll second that, I bought one of those so I could actually play Axiom Verge the right way, so far it's been pretty awesome (both game and controller).  I have a cheap NES usb controller but it didn't have the buttons needed, works great for NES emulation.

On a side note I'm completely stumped in Axiom Verge at the moment:

Axiom Verge question (spoiler alert)

[spoiler]So I just got the corrupter weapon and I've searched both areas and can't find a path forward, apparently my corrupter isn't strong enough yet for more passage blocking obstacles...  [/spoiler]

Kazuto

Quote from: FelixWright on July 11, 2016, 07:05:34 PM
...The layout of the controller is similar to that of the DualShock 3.

Then it is not the controller for me.  All DualShocks besides the DS4 are my most hated controllers, next to, of course, the original Xbox controller.  I think Microsoft forgot how hands operate when they were making that.

I would love to have, or make, adapters for various Nintendo controllers, but I lack the electronics knowledge to do that.  Though I do have the Smash Bros USB adapter for Gamecube controllers, I just haven't tried it on PC yet.

Grimlock

Quote from: Kazuto on July 11, 2016, 11:51:41 PM
I would love to have, or make, adapters for various Nintendo controllers, but I lack the electronics knowledge to do that.  Though I do have the Smash Bros USB adapter for Gamecube controllers, I just haven't tried it on PC yet.

If you're interested in classic controllers (USB) there's a seemingly endless number of choices on Amazon.  Their all pretty inexpensive, around $10.00ish in most cases.

Here's a few for examples:

[spoiler]
NES/Famicon

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-USB-NES-Controller-PC/dp/B002YVD3KM/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1468298751&sr=1-1&keywords=Nes+usb

https://www.amazon.com/ibuffalo-Button-Digital-Rapid-Japan/dp/B000TW9AFU/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1468299163&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=Famicon+usb

SNES

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-USB-Super-Nintendo-Controller-PC/dp/B002JAU20W/ref=sr_1_10?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1468299074&sr=1-10&keywords=SNes+usb

https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Classic-USB-Gamepad-PC/dp/B002B9XB0E/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1468298993&sr=1-1&keywords=SNes+usb

Sega Genesis

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Inc-Genesis-GN6-USB-Controller/dp/B00KX75UT6/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1468299313&sr=1-1&keywords=Genesis+usb

Nintendo 64

https://www.amazon.com/Retrolink-Nintendo-64-Classic-Enabled-Controller/dp/B008L3UUPS/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1468299362&sr=1-1&keywords=nintendo+64+usb

There's also some decent NES/SNES Bluetooth controllers to choose from:

NES (8bitdo) (I have this one, I use it with my Kindle fire HDX tablet, it's pretty good)

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Wireless-Classic-Controller-Android/dp/B00NBN1NA4/ref=sr_1_6?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1468299449&sr=1-6&keywords=8bitdo

SNES (8bitdo)

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-Classic-Joystick/dp/B014QP2H1E/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1468299449&sr=1-3&keywords=8bitdo[/spoiler]

PKstarship

Those USB controllers look pretty cool, maybe I should try getting one of those so I can stop playing using the onscreen controls on my tablet :heheh:

biospark

I recently bought the second SNES controller Grimlock linked to. I'd definitely recommend it for SNES games, also nice for NES/GBA games.

Kazuto

I meant more adapters than USB-specific controllers, but thanks, regardless.  ;)  Although Bluetooth controllers, for phone games, could be pretty useful...!

Zero One

My USB capture arrived a day early, so I might give it a try tonight with some Jak and Daxter, if I'm not busy with Bioshock Infinite.

As for controllers, my favourite for 3D stuff is the XBox 360 controller. Sits very comfortably, and the offset stick are so nice. Of course, any game that uses a DPad, Dualshock wins out for me. Nicely, I have a DS2 USB adapter, so I can use an old PS2 controller for emulating stuff. Though, with my USB capture, I'll probably be emulating quite a bit less now for streaming :D

interdpth

I just use my PS4 controller in all my gaming.

passarbye

Quote from: Kazuto on July 12, 2016, 01:33:03 AM
I meant more adapters than USB-specific controllers, but thanks, regardless.  ;)  Although Bluetooth controllers, for phone games, could be pretty useful...!
I bought the SNES adapter from here: http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29&osCsid=b3f63f28c0c4e7e7780df8b75bb037dd
Though, I still end up using my DS4 all the time. If you're going to be playing/emulating old games all the time, then I recommend the adapter, but otherwise just use a DS4 or what you're comfortable with.

Zero One

So, my Gameboy Player arrived 2 weeks early! This gave me a great opportunity to test both it and my new EZCap USB capture. I ended up "testing" both of these things with a 100% casual run of MZM and they work perfectly! So, eventually, 100% runs of both Zero Mission and Metroid II, 100% Prime 2, and any% and 100% Jak and Daxter. And likely more as I want to do them, like Link's Awakening.

So much fun! :D

Kazuto

Quote from: passarbye on July 12, 2016, 12:42:26 PM
If you're going to be playing/emulating old games all the time, then I recommend the adapter, but otherwise just use a DS4 or what you're comfortable with.

I actually really like the DS4, but I thought the drivers for them were kinda limited?  Or is it that they're unsigned, and Windows has to be run with certificate signing disabled to be able to use them (like with Wiimote drivers)?