News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2014 - Archives

Started by Quote58, April 19, 2012, 09:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT-55J

If you put the rocks over the doorways and got rid of that off-black tile at the top that would be a pretty swell room, Tobi.

TobiMikami

Thank you for pointing that out, I originally had the doors set to layer 2 but for some reason I flip flopped that in this room, thank you for being so astute.

Qactis

FoF's is yummy
Cloud's I love the BG, but the little checkered 8x8 squares inside the crateria layer 2 look funky.
Jefe's.... meh. Hard to tell what Samus would be standing on. Not very much variation in palette between the layers.

MetroidMst

SORRY LOSERS, BUT YOUR WIN IS IN ANOTHER WEEK! A WEEK WITH WEAK COMPETITION FROM WEAK PEOPLE WHO CAN'T MAKE REAL ROOMS111111!!!1!1!100!Q

[spoiler=Weep hot sibling tears!][/spoiler]

Orange you gonna vote for a real room? A vote for any other room than mine is a vote for communism!

Retroo

for real im 100% sure thats one of the best rooms i ever seen MST

Grimlock

Not so fast MST, 2 can play the tree game...  :twisted:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

EDIT: De-blurred it  :grin:

Quietus

You know, Grimlock, after seeing your graphical marvels, going back to the original game is going to be like jumping around in a game of Tetris.

TobiMikami

Quote from: MetroidMst on August 24, 2014, 04:01:39 PM
A vote for any other room than mine is a vote for communism!
*Votes Grimlock* HITLER/STALIN 2014

Grimlock

Quote from: Quietus on August 24, 2014, 08:28:04 PM
You know, Grimlock, after seeing your graphical marvels, going back to the original game is going to be like jumping around in a game of Tetris.
It's pretty amazing the potential hidden behind those 1986 graphics.

Quote from: TobiMikami on August 24, 2014, 08:42:57 PM
Quote from: MetroidMst on August 24, 2014, 04:01:39 PM
A vote for any other room than mine is a vote for communism!
*Votes Grimlock* HITLER/STALIN 2014

:lol:

Grimlock

Quote from: Cloud14 on August 23, 2014, 03:19:43 PM
[spoiler][/spoiler]

First picture of Equinox, the hack will be almost in Black & White, almost!

This sounds like a really cool concept.  I like the fact that you are planning to deviate slightly from black and white, traces of color, maybe faded.  Sounds pretty unique.  Looking forward to seeing more.

TobiMikami

I would also like to point out the glaring tile error in the lower left hand ceiling of MST's room xD

MetroidMst

If you are trying to point out what I hope you are pointing out, that is not an error at all, and what it is should be fairly obvious.

Kte

A place to shinespark?  To get the item?

TobiMikami

It looks so odd though, I mean, I'd expect less obvious out of you

MetroidMst

TobiMikami

Quote from: MetroidMst on August 24, 2014, 11:45:55 PM
Prison changes a man.
That made my day man x"D Mother of god I could only imagine what you'd end up in prison for.

Vismund Cygnus

Only 6 rooms?! That's less than the number of upcoming hacks cancelled this week. Poor form.
[spoiler=This week I can't comment on the tilesets because that's illegal]
[spoiler=Thomas Jifferson]I have no idea what's going on in this room at all. The colours don't sit together well, and the layering is a bit off, mainly with the green(?) cave parts that look like they should be in front of the player, as they're in front of the main scenery, but then there's platforms over the top of said pillary bits. Also the fact that there's only grass on that one platform in the middle of the room sticks out like a sore thumb, and not in a good way. Sorry, this one's just too jumbled and unnatural looking. Swing and a miss.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Foffers]It's interesting to say the least. It's not bad, certainly an improvement over the last week's effort. I'm not a huge fan of the mixing of the foreground and background bricks, especially in that you've used the "fade away" tiles in the middle of a structure. But aside from that it's pretty solid.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs]This room is cloudy, like your name! Oh hey!
So yeah, this is really groovy, I can feel the atmosphere just from the picture. Looks like it could be some new form of horror hack. My only concern is the checked blocks to the bottom left of the room. They just look out of place. Solid work though and good use of layers.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Toby]Simple room, pretty well layered but it's a bit lacking. It could do with a bit of background. Also, as suggested earlier, if you layered the cave tiles over the doors it'd be a lot more effective. Not bad, but plain.
THE TILESET HAS SOME POTENTIAL!O SHIT I WENT THERE[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Mistakes Were Made]This room has secrets. Were I to guess, I'd assume that the bit in the lower left that looks like a tiling error on the cave tiles is actually more of a hole in the ceiling. At least, I'd hope you can't see the giant black void in-game.
It needs some clouds though. That's my professional and final opinion.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Grim Fandango]Man, you're just being unfair. That has some sweet sex appeal, it's cool to see you're expanding on what you had earlier. I like the addition of the trees, and the use of such layering in M1 is pretty damned admirable.
I LIKE YER TILESET MANG[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Hah, you really thought I could resist mentioning tilesets?! Only a fool would believe such a statement from these upside-down lips.[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Quietus

It's Grimlock for me again this week.  It's so good that it just doesn't look like Metroid any more.  It reminds me of what DMan did with Super, which was to build rooms of a quality that's in a league of its own.

TobiMikami

I have to throw my vote to MST this week, I mean, for god's sake, look at this shiz, how are we gonna compete with that.

Retroo

RT-55J

Cloud gets first place in my book, with Grimlock as an absurdly close runner-up.

MetroidMst

ALRIGHT YOU PUNY MORTALS AND WANNABE ROOM MAKERS! It is time around here when the little babies get sent back school in tears. IT IS TIME I TAKE YOU LOT TO SCHOOL OVER YOUR HORRENDOUS ATTEMPTS AT ROOMMANSHIP!

[spoiler=STUDENTS GET FLOGGED]
[spoiler=JiffyLube]This looks like a room that thought it would be cool to grow cancer in the shape of a second room right on top of it. THIS DISH OF SPOILED CELLS IS LIKE LICKING DIRTY UNDERWEAR! Also, that Chozo statue. . . You know it would get some serious detention for showing that much shoulder to all the boys. HOW CAN CLASS GO ON WHEN EVERY SINGLE PARROT IS DROPPING POOP LIKE A LEAKY SEWER?[/spoiler]
[spoiler=FoFoFoFoFoFoFoFoF]Of all the rooms, this one most resembles a proper classroom. Just take in the setting! The students are sitting at their desks, the teacher calls on one, and from the spotlight we clearly see that it has no answer to the question! THIS ONE MUST BE TURNED INTO WINGS AND DRUMSTICKS AND DEVOURED BY ITS' OWN PEOPLE.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Fox McCloudy]This looks weird. Like nerd lunch weird. However, I like how it appears to make the room really hazy/foggy. It is still weird though. Kind of like picking your nose and finding a nugget of last weeks' spaghetti meatball in there instead of a slimy lollipop.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Japan Tobi]I feel like you gave my eyes cancer of the intestine. AND THAT WAS BEFORE THE SMELL HIT ME. Those rocks. . . They need a giant palette change to something that doesn't reek of bad taste and laxatives.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Grim Warlock]One of the few opponents worthy of even being mentioned close to the feet of my ability! It is truly inspiring to crush such an attempt! I have to say though. . . This rooms looks like a nice painting of a location you would take your girlfriend out to.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Vismund Wishes This Were Him]Enter inside joke here/No one gets it/It is still super effective[/spoiler][/spoiler]

There you have it, now get back in class and learn how to room like real people!

Grimlock

:mad: My magnificent 8 bit wonders of pixel botany, nurtured from mere pixelings over the course of many long years are getting whipped by a bunch of limp palm trees.  :sad:

Benki

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on January 18, 2010, 12:59:07 AM
[spoiler=Cloud14][/spoiler]

This room looks amazing thus I voted for it. Really love the "fog" effect you incorporated into it.

MetroidMst

Quote from: Grimlock on August 25, 2014, 06:50:22 PM
are getting whipped by a bunch of limp palm trees.  :sad:
Which is getting whipped by a room with less visibility than a bat in a sandstorm.