News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2012 - Archives

Started by Zhs2, July 03, 2010, 12:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katelyn

I voted ProjectXVIII because I felt bad for him, and had a vote I wanted to throw away.

Other than that I would have null'd do to being in the competition.

[spoiler=Shadow96]I think your room's palette is nice. The door GFX is weird, and it's partially distracting. A big problem I see in the room is that it's too unnaturally shaped. The terrain is made in such a boxy-format, it's something you wouldn't expect to see it. Also, lack of layer2 is depressing. :C[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Valiant Breeze]YEAH[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Grime]The layout to the room is very nice. Since this is uhm...uh...Rise! Yes, Rise, you aren't using custom palettes, which I've overlooked. I feel like you could have added something to the room where the filler tiles are, assuming you can even see any of them ingame. The sand half of the room just seems off to me, not sure why. Other than that, it's a good room. I would have voted for you if I wasn't competing already.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=ProjectXVIII]You got my vote. That doesn't mean the room was exactly "good," though. Remakes of rooms don't usually get too far.*[/spoiler]

* = Does not always apply.

Quote58

Valiant. First, wow I spelled your name wrong earlier, sorry. I was typing it on my phone, didn't bother to check.
Second, the doors, as I said, don't mind them.
Third, Layer 2 is all over the place in there. What are you talking about?
Lastly, it is quite box-like, however it was because I used the general layout of the room from when I had a different graphics set there, I wanted to see what would happen. I should have fixed that as I had to change a lot anyway.

snarfblam

It is a little boxy, but it never struck me as unusual. I don't think you could get too far with boxy-rocks, but looking at the one room, with the other man-made structures in the room, my mind interpreted it as engineered. Before you build a building, a road, or anything else, you re-shape the earth to suit your needs.

Now, if you added some light fixtures to the room that threw light to a small area below (ala Scyzer) it would do miracles for the atmosphere of the room, IMO.

Quote from: Valiant Breeze on January 17, 2012, 05:34:44 PMAlso, lack of layer2 is depressing. :C
what is layer?

Qactis

layer 2 is the background in super metroid. Also can be used to place darkened foreground tiles underneath the top layer to give it, well, more layers

Edit: Still think Valiant's CRE bracers look like middle fingers

Katelyn

Quote from: Qactis on January 17, 2012, 11:43:28 PM
Edit: Still think Valiant's CRE bracers look like middle fingers

Secretly I hate everyone.
No not really.

snarfblam

Quote from: Qactis on January 17, 2012, 11:43:28 PM
layer 2 is the background in super metroid. Also can be used to place darkened foreground tiles underneath the top layer to give it, well, more layers
How do? What is joke?

Quote58

So since the new tileset I was building is skrewed, I thought I'd post something from a long time ago.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
It has the pallet and a couple of things from the hack, final stand (great hack). He said however that we could use whatever we wanted of it. This was made just to make a room though anyway. I know I'm not going to win, but hey, I might as well enter.
Oh, and there's water at the level of the door on the left.
And the metal bridge thing over the bottom right door part is made of speed blocks.

Quietus

While I like Blarget's tileset, I am biased, as it's very similar to what I'm working(ish) on.

However, Grime takes my vote this week.  I loves me some quality, vanilla rooms.

Daltone

Nice work everyone,
Grime: Solid room, and you can tell he detailed those vines in the middle.
Shadow96: I like the pallet for this and while I like the custom plant, It doesn't really fit in with the rest of the tile set.
Blarget2: I ended up voting for this, I really like this kind of room, you can clearly tell where you can be, and then the ground/walls are nicely detailed.

ProjectXVIII

Blarget: Love the tileset, but something about it just seems generic. Not much else I can say.

shadow96: The room is pretty flat, your CRE is dark as shit, and those plants just do not blend well with the Pink Brinstar tileset. It's full of tiling errors, too. The doors and the green palette are great, though.

Grime: Dat vanilla. I love the way this room looks, especially the vines. Despite the lack of a custom palette (aside from the doors), this still gets my vote.

Katelyn

ProjectXVIII

More Retroid rooms? Why not.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quote58

Okay, background fixed.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
so this room would likely have a boss or something or other. You can only get to the right hand door place with space jump. no doors because the palette is messed up. Oh, and it says Hanger A under H-A.

Katelyn

Voted for...uhm....null'd, I guess.

[spoiler=Valiant Breeze]OKAY[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Hazard Remiix]Crateria. The background bugs me tremendously. It needs more variety, not just the same 8 tiles placed in a linear pattern. I really like what you did with the foreground, though. That Chozo closest to the left, however, bugs me. It looks like some sort of blocker, but a Chozo? Can't you use rocks or some other tile? Otherwise, it's a pretty good room! I would have voted for it, but since I'm in the competition...![/spoiler]
[spoiler=ProjectXVIII]Okay so, the elevator looks like complete ass, there is hardly any detail what-so-ever, where the fuck is a background, the faces' eyes are completely messed up, the mechanical tiles (the ones Samus actually walks on) look so out of place it isn't even funny. Don't take this review for a grain of salt, I know it's NEStroid, quit acting like silly people and commenting on it .-.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Grime]This room is missing your style. It's just...fwoop.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Shadow96]This room. This room is way too empty. This room needs a better BG. This room needs to be filled with something...exciting! Something to make the player go "WOW" (I'm exaggerating a bit, fuck you.), just make the player go "WOW, THAT'S BORING." It's just...not exciting.[/spoiler]

Digital_Mantra

Voted Project 'cause I love seeing monster tiles used in new ways. I've probably made over 100 variations of the ridley face but I've never created that one. Nicely done.

Zero One

Definitely Valiant for me; it's a great room. I'd give more in-depth reviews of the rooms, but :effort: Needless to say, it would've taken a lot to beat.

Malpercio

Project. Faithful to the source, yet made so much better with the Ridley heads. With every screenie I see, the more I anticipate Retroid. Give me a reason to go look for that Super Metroid ROM I keep archived!

@Valiant: go play NEStroid and you'll get why everything is wrong with your review, Alternatively, http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9192467/NEStroid_Ridley_Elevator.jpg Your room itself is nice, but Project's is better.

Hazard: Not a fan of the palette, but I like the use of edge tiles to add variation to the dead space in the floors/ceiling.

Grime: It's a shaft. The tiles are pulled from NEStroid and I like this, but it's still a big shaft

Shadow: Is that fusion or just a fusion tileset? Also, it looks a bit like a warehouse room, and I think one of these should've been somewhere in fusion. It's pretty nice, but I think the palette looks a bit dark, and while I don't think it's boring, there is quite a bit of space.

Quote58

Sup metconst. As always, my opinion.
Grime[spoiler] I have to agree with Valiant on this one, it isn't Grime. I'm not going to judge your room because it just isn't your style. It lacks your flare.[/spoiler]
Hazard[spoiler]Not bad, but the chozo statues don't fit well. The background is odd. The general layout isn't bad, but it just isn't all that appealing. The doors look very out of place. Nice palette though.[/spoiler]
Project[spoiler]That is fantastic. I love the look of those statues, just great. The doors look out of place, you could have done a little layor 2 tileing, unless that goes against retroid. That is going to be awesome in game though, I'm really looking forward to Retroid. Nice.[/spoiler]
Valiant[spoiler]Well, another person using fusion gfx. Cool. So I've always loved the lab tileset, in fact I made some rooms a long time ago with it. This room however bugs me. You seem to have tried to really incorporate every tile, but it doesn't have that lab feel. The extra layer on the front does not look as good as I want it to. The tileing is great, but the tiles feel kind of out of place. Example being that you use the steeper slope way too much. It feels too up-and-down. not really restricted lab. The background is good, but not with that palette. The background feels too much like a wall, it should have more distance. It also feel cluttered. In general however, the room does look great. [/spoiler]
Shadow[spoiler]Wow, not as good as I had thought. The background repeats too much, variety is needed. Maybe even a different background all together. Feels very sparse. Even though it's a boss room, it looks more like a test of tiles instead of a real room. No doors? Dumbass. Honestly, try harder next time.[/spoiler]
So just FWI, my room is a BOSS room, as was mentioned when posted. It is supposed to be open, and large, and like a warehouse/hanger thing. Twas the point my dear hackers.
My Vote[spoiler]ProjectXViii[/spoiler]

Blarget2

so.... no one else then?  :eyeroll:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Charmander106

Quote58

I'm not in the mood to make a whole new room, but I said I'd put a room in and that it'd be using the ARC tileset. So here ya go.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
looks better in game with enemies and speed blocks and such, so if I have time I'll edit my post to include a video. As per usual, don't mind the doors, this was a new rom, so the doors aren't fusion.
Edit: Okay, I have a video of the room
[spoiler][/spoiler]