News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Ice Metal 1: Uninstall [Ver: 1.4.2]

Started by Lunaria, August 21, 2010, 06:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiroshi Mishima

Bond.. *sigh* No, I'm not even going to say anything else right now.

AigamerDS: [spoiler]The first pic... I'm not exactly sure what you did to get in there, how did you manage that? As for the second pic, I don't believe that's a permastuck area, what are you trying to do?[/spoiler]

Bombs help in a lot of places, but sometimes you have to just trust your instincts and look around the old fashioned way of trial and error. That's part of what exploration is about, after all.

Also maybe some spoilers, guys. That goes for someone TRYING to desperately describe an area and not doing a very good job. If necessary, take a pic and SPOILER it for gods' sakes.

aigamerDS

Quote from: Hiroshi Mishima on August 22, 2010, 11:09:59 PM
AigamerDS: [spoiler]The first pic... I'm not exactly sure what you did to get in there, how did you manage that? As for the second pic, I don't believe that's a permastuck area, what are you trying to do?[/spoiler]

For the first picture, I jumped through a ceiling.
Same with a second picture, I jumped through a ceiling as well. It's permastuck because there is no way out.

Chozunsda

Yeah DS if you used boost to get in that situation then you are likely stuck. You can do all sorts of stuff with that glitch 90% of it ending up in permastucks.
[spoiler]I made a post earlier asking if I could skip a boss because i used that glitch to get his item before killing him.[/spoiler]

Edit: Eh nevermind.

aigamerDS

Quote from: Chozunsda on August 22, 2010, 11:23:24 PM
Yeah DS if you used boost to get in that situation then you are likely stuck. You can do all sorts of stuff with that glitch 90% of it ending up in permastucks.

Actually, I was in that situation before I found boost ball.

Orel

I just beat phantoon and i'm having lots of fun, I haven't found any more glitches, but i did find some weirdness with the x-ray visor.
[spoiler]
Not sure if this can be fixed, i've never seen hidden slope passages in SM before.

hidden passage not showing up here with the visor, not sure if that's intentional.

crumble blocks showing up here for whatever reason. (btw, this room is awesome.)
[/spoiler]

Hiroshi Mishima

In regards Orel's post:

[spoiler]Pic number one is a passage way. It's shaped that way cause it's diagonal. Some of the passages show up like that because you can't really do a slope-shaped x-ray image. Pic number two is an example of passages that will NOT show up via x-ray and must be found the old fashioned way of looking for suspicious areas.[/spoiler]

Xaggoth

Started playing this so far I've been having a good time with it.  So much to explore and I'm really liking the scenery edits.

I think I might be stuck?  
[spoiler]I'm near Deep Ice and The Core in the section that separates them by an elevator tube (the thing in maridia in vanilla).  I can't proceed in the core, a door is gray and there are spikes and an impossible jump that way, I can't climb back up the way I came through deep ice without maybe high-jump or gravity suit.  The section near the turtle if that helps.[/spoiler]

Edit: Go figure, after wandering around forever and deciding to post, I find the way out.  Hard to see though.

Edit2: Almost forgot, there's a missile pack down near where I thought I was stuck in the ice.  The only way back I could see was to underwater wall jump blindly, which is ridiculous.

Orel

Quote from: Hiroshi Mishima on August 23, 2010, 12:10:46 AM
In regards Orel's post:

[spoiler]Pic number one is a passage way. It's shaped that way cause it's diagonal. Some of the passages show up like that because you can't really do a slope-shaped x-ray image. Pic number two is an example of passages that will NOT show up via x-ray and must be found the old fashioned way of looking for suspicious areas.[/spoiler]

Yeah, i knew it was a passageway,  i even got the item at the end of it, i was just posting it because it looks weird through the x-ray visor and it was something i wasn't sure was fixable.  As for the second one being intentional, makes me think i should rethink how I've been exploring, I've been using the visor a ton because it's mapped to X with my setup. (makes it a little too convenient i guess. XD)

Tyjet66

Permastuck. I made it all the way to Ridley, I don't have charge beam and I don't have enough supplies to kill him...

Good thing I'm running a blind run and I'm recording it, so I resorted back to my smv.

[spoiler]I made it to Tourain but turned back due to the message on the map. Here is my current gear:
8 E-tanks
3 reserve tanks
145 missiles
30 super missiles
25 power bombs
Grapple
X-ray
Plasma
Varia
Gravity
Morphball
Bombs
Megaball
High jump
Space jump

Here is my question: Where the hell is speed booster?!?!?![/spoiler]

Orel

I think i'm done playing for tonight, i explored a huge amount of deep ice and i still haven't found the gravity suit so that was kind of painful. (not a huge fan of underwater sections.)  I managed to do exactly what tyjet just did and made it to ridley without the charge beam so i was unable to kill him. =/

I found some more geometry bugs too.
[spoiler]this one isn't so bad, it's easy to get out of.

This one was bad, i thought i was permastuck for a few minutes.
[/spoiler]

These 2 here are not bugs, just a couple of map errors.
[spoiler]Item was right here, yet map says it was slightly higher up.

I think you may have forgotten the item marker dot thingy right here.
[/spoiler]

Yonowaaru

Any beams in lower Steamfair?
Golden Torizo? Cuz I think I've explored all....

*Edit: And what's with the secret elevator that goes up from Steamfair? The place where you need speedbooster and Ice Beam doesn't lead anywhere?
Also, where is the Spazer?
Also, wait I'm stuck there? There's a green barrier?

Cadarot

I am sad to report that this game does not work on my SNES emulator on my DS.

On a side nore, the IPS also creates an incomplete bank

MetroidMst

[spoiler=Speed Booster]Speed Booster is in Deep Ice, though you may want to look for another entrance into that area than your "normal" one.[/spoiler]

Lunaria

@aigamerDS: It would be a good idea if you told me HOW you clipped the ceiling. Keep in mind that I have no intentions of trying to fix shit that people find when TRYING to get stuck. If it's not something you do in normal gameplay then it's pointless. :/

Quote from: Tyjet66 on August 23, 2010, 02:18:50 AM
Permastuck. I made it all the way to Ridley, I don't have charge beam and I don't have enough supplies to kill him...

Good thing I'm running a blind run and I'm recording it, so I resorted back to my smv.
Excuse me, but, I don't see HOW you're permastuck. :/

Not having enough supplies to fight a boss and dying therefor is part of standard gamplay. If you look back at super metroid then if you missed charge beam then you missed it and needed to have enough missiles to shot everything down instead. :/

Quote from: Flamestar666 on August 23, 2010, 05:07:28 AM
I am sad to report that this game does not work on my SNES emulator on my DS.

On a side nore, the IPS also creates an incomplete bank

1. the DS SNES emulator is shitty at best.

2. Either you tried to do EXACTLY what I wanted to prevent or you're looking way too much into stuff. :/
But yes, it makes a new bank.

@everyone: I will look into all the small tiling/BTS/Slope errors ASAP! =)

Also, I'm moving the topic. :<

Yonowaaru

Lunaria

Oh, ops, hehe. I was not even thinking that was a perma stuck.
Sorry yonowaaru, seams you found a perma stuck. I hope you used save stations or something. =)

MetroidMst

[spoiler=Wall of Thought]Overall, Ice Metal is a fun and very open-ended hack. Exploration was definitely a major focus in this hack. It was nice to play a major fullhack that was so open as these tend to have specific item progressions only TASers could manipulate. This does add a bit of frustration for some because you aren't really sure what you are supposed to be getting next or where it is at.

Your custom tiles were nice, plus you had skulls on the barrels too. I think it would be easy to tell IM appart from other hacks due to the unique tiles used.

Level design was different. I don't really know what to say about it. It looked good, great in some places.

Item placement was really weird for me. I know it is supposed to be open, and it definitely was, but I'm thinking more about Missile packs and the like. Normally when I play a fullhack like this I get about halfway and my "Metroid sense" tells me there is an item hidden in this room, or something doesn't feel right. I had that sense a lot and most of the time I was wrong... I actually kind of enjoyed that because it didn't feel "normal."

The bosses were all pretty easy except for the last one. And for the whole hack the difficulty wasn't high, but somewhere next to easy/challenging. Very nice Ridley BTW. I do have to say that people who can't IBJ, and it is harder because you changed the bomb timer, could get stuck at Draygon if they don't have Space-Jump. I believe you thought SJ was required to get to him but I made a nice jump with the Boost Ball that allowed me to skip the pit below. I managed to get out by wall-jumping at some next to impossible angles, but another block that prevents the boost-jump over the pit could solve that issue.

As for other things. I liked that someone else finally change beam colors and powers around a lot. I never found Ice or Spazer, I know where Charge is but for the life of me I couldn't remember where the room was. I thought the beam placement was great and I personally think more people should do it like that. I believe Plasma is the only one you get after a boss, and the rest just require some good exploration to find. Then there were those rooms that had no item in them when they should have... Some of them had multiple states which then made the item appear but a few I never found out about. One I know was Boost Ball and since I already had it that didn't matter, but there were a couple I just never found out how to make any item appear.

Finally I will say it was a great hack, extremely fun to play and I will be revisiting it again at some point just because it isn't one of the ridiculously hard ones that I never want to touch again. There are a few ideas I liked a lot and am now thinking if I could implement them in my own hack. Great work![/spoiler]

Yonowaaru

Quote from: Crys on August 23, 2010, 12:52:18 PM
Oh, ops, hehe. I was not even thinking that was a perma stuck.
Sorry yonowaaru, seams you found a perma stuck. I hope you used save stations or something. =)

I did, luckily. But really, what was supposed to be there?

And, also, how the hell do I get down to the real Tourian?
I guess I need another elevator?
And how do you get the E-tank in the turtle room?

Quietus

Crys: Regarding the ceiling glitch.  This can be performed anywhere you have a two-block gap with a single row of tiles above.  There are a few combinations of the directions / buttons that enable you to jump through the ceiling, so it's easiest (if you can) to avoid this tile setup completely.

Orel

I played a whole bunch more this morning, only items i seem to be missing now are charge beam, ice beam and screw attack.

Anyways, reason i posted is because the game crashed on me.
[spoiler]I found this room with a standing chozo statue and a pit of lava, my first instinct was to let the chozo grab me so the room would shake and the lava would lower, but that didn't work, i ended up diving into the lava anyways and when i entered the next room there was no sound for some reason and when i entered this door the game froze.
[/spoiler]

I also found some more geometry collision bugs and another map error, should i continue to report bugs like those? (i have the screenshots.)

Lunaria

Quote from: Quietus on August 23, 2010, 03:00:31 PM
Crys: Regarding the ceiling glitch.  This can be performed anywhere you have a two-block gap with a single row of tiles above.  There are a few combinations of the directions / buttons that enable you to jump through the ceiling, so it's easiest (if you can) to avoid this tile setup completely.

I had a feeling it was something like this. Well have fun if you want to get yourself stuck in walls, but don't come complaining to me about you being perma stuck, it's your own damn fault. :/

@orel:[spoiler] Well, I have no idea why the chozo statue did not lower the lava. I mean, you do have space jump according to that image so there should not have been any problems. :/

As why the room crashes when you enter it I have no idea, it have been working for everyone else. :S

And yeah, feel free to keep reporting errors. =)[/spoiler]

MetroidMst

I should note that the Chozo statue didn't work for me either. The first playthrough I didn't have Space Jump so I figured it wouldn't work. The second I did have Space Jump and nothing happened then either, so I thought it was intentionaly made for the player to go diving. I did bomb the statue hand though and it showed up as a Speed Booster block... Maybe it has something to do with the roomstates?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Crashtour99

Quote from: MetroidMst on August 23, 2010, 04:18:02 PM
I should note that the Chozo statue didn't work for me either.  ...so I thought it was intentionaly made for the player to go diving.
Same here.  :/ 

Lunaria

So I looked into it. Turns out the reason it does not work is simply due to me moving the room to another area last minute due to wanting the escape to have a map. Oh well, I counted on some people getting there without space jump so you can still pass it. I will just remove the lava in future releases.

Tyjet66

Quote from: MetroidMst on August 23, 2010, 11:18:52 AM
[spoiler=Speed Booster]Speed Booster is in Deep Ice, though you may want to look for another entrance into that area than your "normal" one.[/spoiler]
Well, I'm still baffled as to it's location but searching helped me find wave beam. I'm kinda annoyed how speed booster is still eluding discovery...