News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Talk of the Day

Started by squishy_ichigo, May 15, 2009, 11:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mon732

So I got a new desk.

[spoiler=Before (Picture is a little outdated)][/spoiler]
[spoiler=After][/spoiler]

Zero One

Hey, Brits, there's a petition here for a vote of No Confidence in our useless Health Secretary, Jeremy Hunt. Do sign it, because it'd be so nice to get the stupid twat out.

FullOfFail

We should have another official 100% Super Metroid race sometime. I'm sure it's been atleast close to a year since the last.

Zero One

I'd be up for that, provided there's enough time to practice it :P

MetroidMst

Seeing how I have been having trouble deciding a thing for the next community race, this would work well in place of anything else. I'll get something together during the week and make a topic later.

Quietus

With its recent release to much praise, wouldn't Hyper be a good idea to run?

MetroidMst

I'm trying to break up the more well-liked hacks and do the other, lesser known/liked stuff in between them. (Got to give these other things a chance people! Stop skipping out because you're lame noobsucks.) 100% is liked and known, but it would be a good break from hacks in general, and judging from the Limit turnout, a break could be in order.

Quietus

Limit is also a hard type hack. The best bet for higher numbers is to keep the difficulty low. How about Life? I recall that is an easier hack.

MetroidMst

Red Crateria. Life has Red Crateria. Yes, I'm racist against awful tilesets. (My palettes are perfect BTW)

Although, "Community Life Race" has some serious connotations that are amusing.

personitis

If I hadn't already seen the fastest route through Ice Metal, I'd say that'd be an interesting one though I'll pass on majorly suitless portion followed by what practically all game without Charge Beam. Airy might be fun despite being slow as all hell when falling, Eris would likely prove an enjoyable challenge, and Oxide is rather straight forward, eliminating people not having a consistent route. Pantheon or SFI sound comfy as well.

MetroidMst

The other thing to consider is, that it isn't just Super Metroid and it's hacks that can be community races. I was initially thinking of Grimlock's NEStroid hack Incursion, but anything other than Super, and sometimes Fusion for the sick, sick people out there, seems to make people not even care. (Show some support yo!) There are plenty of options though, which I can get back to after the 100%

Vismund Cygnus

Hey now, a life race sounds like the kind of thing I could win!
[spoiler][/spoiler]

FullOfFail

Hmm... maybe a poll is in order, then?
Still was wanting to go with 100% Vanilla myself.

personitis

I was merely offering suggestions. 100% vanilla or a hack is fine by me. I'm not even sure if I'll show up but the least I can offer are some thoughts on the matter. As for branching to other games, give it a try. We saw how well putting a challenge hack up for a race did (hardly a turnout) and we've results from a quick-play (Stardust) and a hack of more reasonable length (Legacy). No harm in seeing how everyone feels about something other than SM. Though, if you were so worried about turnout, sticking with what's liked  might be the road to go.

Hell, maybe even do a 100% of a hack!

Scyzer

Super Mario 64 glitchless (IE; 70 stars to open the door to Bowser and then beating him). You know you want to ;)

Quietus

Or, since many of us are likely SNES players due to Super Metroid, choose other favourites, such as Zelda 3 or Super Mario World? Whatever system you choose, go with the big guns first, as their popularity makes it easier to get numbers, and some may remember to stop by for next time.

Jordan5

100% SM or SMW both sound like fun races. I would just need a lot of time to practice :heheh:

Mon732

Quote from: Quietus on August 11, 2015, 04:29:37 AM
...such as Zelda 3 or...

*shudders* That bloody Ice Palace...

Zero One

Quote from: Mon732 on August 11, 2015, 08:36:23 AM
Quote from: Quietus on August 11, 2015, 04:29:37 AM
...such as Zelda 3 or...

*shudders* That bloody Ice Palace...

A problem that can be avoided entirely with a single bomb jump!

Mon732

You can bomb jump in Zelda 3?

Zero One

In the Ice Palace, you're supposed to hit a crystal switch to lower some blocks to open up a path that's surrounded by pits. You can use the damage boost from the bomb to effectively jump over the hole without hitting the crystal switch, effectively breaking the entire dungeon.

Alternatively, get the Cane of Somaria first and you can just spawn a block on the button at the bottom.

Quietus

Quote from: Mon732 on August 12, 2015, 10:29:48 AM
Legit, no, but it's like many games, it has mechanics that are now abused for speedruns. You can also go straight over holes in the floor by repeatedly dashing, but it's not easy to pull off. :^_^:

Zero One

Quote from: Quietus on August 12, 2015, 10:52:16 AM
Quote from: Mon732 on August 12, 2015, 10:29:48 AM
Legit, no, but it's like many games, it has mechanics that are now abused for speedruns. You can also go straight over holes in the floor by repeatedly dashing, but it's not easy to pull off. :^_^:

Yes, enjoy the 20+ frameperfect inputs required to skip the second Moldorm fight :P

Quietus

Some of them are pretty good, and most ring true to the mentality behind speedrunning. :^_^: