News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

General Hack Ideas

Started by DSO, May 20, 2009, 08:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiroshi Mishima

It's an interesting idea and I've seen it used before in a couple of Castlevania games. My only concern from that clip is that it's damn near impossible to see the eyes moving.

JamieWebb16

Quote from: Hiroshi Mishima on August 07, 2010, 12:01:34 AM
My only concern from that clip is that it's damn near impossible to see the eyes moving.
That's what I thought too. :/

Lunaria

Blue hatches open when samus collides with them. If this is done we could make doors act 100% like the ones seen in megaman games. Which is kinda cool for certain types of hacks.

Quietus

Or once you've cleared the hatch - pink, green, or yellow - and they're all staying blue, they open when you are within proximity.  That would really help with flow, as you wouldn't need to keep stopping.

Katelyn

Quietus, that sounds a lot like the doors in Metroid Prime. xD

Quietus

Yes, except you still have to shoot them for the loading to commence.  I mean that after you've opened them once (and they stay blue), you can just walk toward them and they open.  More like Ceres's doors do, but a little further out.

Hiroshi Mishima

The problem with doors that open automatically ala Ceres is that if you're using the speed booster it kinda breaks when the doors don't open fast enough.

Quietus

In Super Metroid, once you've held run to build up your speed, you can then release run, and Samus will continue at the same speed, so how about using a second press of the run button to charge for a spark, rather than having to press down?  This would mean that you didn't have to stop once you'd built speed.

Hiroshi Mishima

Alternatively, could always just make it start charging automatically without having to hold down run. I admit I enjoyed that feature in Fusion...

MetroidMst

Quote from: Hiroshi Mishima on August 11, 2010, 08:02:35 PM
Alternatively, could always just make it start charging automatically without having to hold down run. I admit I enjoyed that feature in Fusion...
I never cared for that myself. I don't really know why either. Maybe I just prefer to have control over it.

Orel

Quote from: Hiroshi Mishima on August 11, 2010, 08:02:35 PM

You should try Kejardons Control Freak patch, it has an auto run option and it works on most hacks too. (everything i've tried except redesign and Project Base.)

Hiroshi Mishima

I'm sure it's due to my preferred control scheme in general. Reading from the Controller that's set up just like the SNES with the Diamond Shaped buttons of X, A, B, Y.. I have X as Item Select, A as Run, B as Jump, and Y as shoot. That's how I've always played Super Metroid, Mega Man X, and similar games. Sometimes I find that having to run, jump, AND shoot makes the fingers hurt. Which is why I preferred not having to hold down run in Fusion which had a number of run/jump/shoot puzzles.

Orel

You have your controls set up the same exact way i always did, i'm never not running when i play super metroid so having one less button to hold down is very nice and allows me to play more comfortably with my hands not getting sore, also the brandish is very nice. (i honestly can't go back to the original controls, makes me wish i could get redesign working with CF)

seastorm

I personally don't care much about Control Freak, I've never used the patch before and I prefer the standard way. Lets change the subject, shall we.

Heres a creative idea (ASM required, though):
Multi-way barrier PLM.
Those gates in Super Metroid that you must shoot beams/missles/super missles/powerbomb to raise can only block one way, but what about one with multiple ways, well this gate can block multiple ways depending on what high is set to, and the low determines what you must shoot to unlock it.

High:
00: Down, Right.
02: Right, Up.
04: Up, Left.
06: Left, Down.
08: Up, Down.
0A: Up, Left, Down.
0C: Down, Right, Up.

Low:
00: Beam from right. (compatible with high bytes: 04, 06, 08 and 0A)
02: Beam from left. (compatible with high bytes: 00, 02, 08 and 0C)
04: Missile from right. (compatible with high bytes: 04, 06, 08 and 0A)
06: Missile from left. (compatible with high bytes: 00, 02, 08 and 0C)
08: Super Missile from right. (compatible with high bytes: 04, 06, 08 and 0A)
0A: Super Missile from left. (compatible with high bytes: 00, 02, 08 and 0C)
0C: Powerbomb from right. (compatible with high bytes: 04, 06, 08 and 0A)
0E: Powerbomb from left. (compatible with high bytes: 00, 02, 08 and 0C)

This is my idea for a multi-way barrier, even organised the possibile high/low bytes it could use.

Caio! Comments/Critism approved of.

JAM

In original game you have a device that transforms all your kinetic energy to shinespark when you're running at full speed and pressing down.

What if apply Kej's Falling Damage patch, increase max falling speed and create special item that will damp or transform potential energy? When you have no special item, gain damage when landing.
When you have special item, gain no damage when landing (or even healing)
When you have special item and landing at max falling speed, gain no damage and get shinespark

squishy_ichigo

ok, so I mention this on irc awhile ago, but just for the record....

So remember when you guys where working on the transparent HUD thing, and then found out that the top line was off, and decided to stop working on it because abunch of code would have to be rewritten or some jazz like that?

Well, my idea was just black out the top line, and then you have the transparent HUD, plus no problems....  don't know why that didn't occur to you guys at the time

I mentioned this ages ago, and just now I was thinking of the transparent thing again, so I figured I mention it again. ;D

JAM

A little idea about energy pick-ups. What if make them slowly decrement thier amount of energy? Like if you'll get big energy right after it spawning, you'll get 20 energy and if you'll get big energy right before it disappears, you'll get 1 energy. Of course, small energy should decrement it's value slowly

EDIT: And another idea. Separate launchers/generators for each type of ammo. You may even collect ammo upgrades for the type you haven't got launcher but you can't select this type and shoot. If there are no launcher, but ammo is already collected then number under invisible icon will appear, and the icon itself -- only after collecting launcher

DSO

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on August 30, 2010, 10:59:59 PM
ok, so I mention this on irc awhile ago, but just for the record....

So remember when you guys where working on the transparent HUD thing, and then found out that the top line was off, and decided to stop working on it because abunch of code would have to be rewritten or some jazz like that?

Well, my idea was just black out the top line, and then you have the transparent HUD, plus no problems....  don't know why that didn't occur to you guys at the time

I mentioned this ages ago, and just now I was thinking of the transparent thing again, so I figured I mention it again. ;D

Cause while you can make only part of a layer transparent, it would be difficult to add another such thing to Super Metroid. Ever pick up an item in a room with wacky transparencies?

Parabox

I had an idea during IRC today. SadFish told me it'd be hard to do, but I'll just leave this here for the guy or gal that wants to take on the challenge.

Cold slows you down, right? And ice beam is cold, right? So with every hit of ice beam that doesn't freeze the creature, it slows down. This would of course be based on the amount of HP and beam damage, so Ridley isn't at .1 speed after 4 charged shots.

<SadiztykFish>    yes, but you need a counter and timer for every ice hit, as well as a timer for when enemies are finallly frozen, and a flag to see if they are
    <SadiztykFish>    plus the speed changing would need to be indexed within the movement AI
    <SadiztykFish>    for every enemy

Lunaria

This is an item suggestion.

"Chaos Arms"

Like all other items it's toggled in the inventory, it's stacked under beams.

With it on all the beams would deal twice the damage, both charged and uncharged. (May or may not make the beam use it's own specific palette)

The downside would be a set energy amount that would be drained every time you fire a beam shot, charged or not.

Just a neat item idea I thought of.

JAM

Hey, I'm working on something similar like Hyper Mode from Metroid Prime 3: when certain item will be equipped, each shot will be charged but it will cost 5 energy. If you charge your gun normaly you still can shoot charged beam without losing energy. Boss fights will be quick if you have enough energy. If alarm (health low) is on, health will stop draining and shots will be uncharged.

And Chaos Arms is a bit easier to do.

SloppyJoe95

Hmm... I had an idea for a scan visor in Super Metroid.
Maybe just some important stuff to scan, not a lot.
I was wondering, is it possible to make it so that when you look at a desired block (bts specific?) it runs a code to open up a message box with information, etc. Example, a chozo statue, maybe the center block can have a certain block type and bts # so that when you look at it through the x ray visor, a message box will pop up with info, as if you scanned it.

Scyzer

Yes it's very possible to do that with a small work around. The only problem with it is that it would have no way of knowing if that block was actually scanned or xray was just used in the vicinity.

You just need to create an enemy that does nothing (or use an existing enemy as long as it can't move), and give it a code for when xray is used with it onscreen. Then go to the enemy's bank, and put "A9 XX 00 22 80 80 85 9C D2 09 60" (where XX is the message type to run) into free space somewhere in the bank.
Next, go into the enemy DNA and go all the way to the right (or maybe one less, not sure) and find the pointer called XRAY. Put the location of the start of that code as a pointer in there, and it should bring up that message box whenever you use Xray within range of that enemy (it will also turn off xray, so you can't bring up the box multiple times accidently)
Then just put that enemy under the block you want to xray (or near it) and make the enemy invisible and untouchable (untouchable might make the xray code not apply, but I'm not sure).

Zero One

I had a dream of a Super Metroid hack last night, and I managed to remember something pretty cool.

How about making it so that when you shoot a liquid, you get a little splash. If you use the Charge Beam on the liquid, you get a wall of that liquid rising up. In the event of lava, it could damage enemies if they touch the fire wall.

I'm not certain about how viable this is to do.

Qactis

I had the wonderful idea of making an IPS patch of Super Metroid with all obvious tweaks and patches already applied that one would do before starting to hack their rom. You know, elbow fix by kej, heat bit patch by flamestar666, JAM+Kej allow Gold Chozo in all areas, etc. Any tweaks and patches like this that won't affect the customization of a single rom, but just all of the convenient changes already made to it, in a handy dandy IPS everyone can start with. Think Project Base. Of course all appropriate credit would be given in a readme with the zip. Any suggestions here for what could go in it?

[spoiler=Super Metroid RTG]
Kejardon:

-Elbow Fix
-Aim Anything
-Reflec fix
-Super Missile counting as 2 projectiles bug fix

Jathys:

-Credit sheet

DChronos:

-Map Patch!

Black_Falcon:

-(optional) HUD Hack
-(maybe?) Morphball Animation Part II

DeepSpaceObserver:

-(optional) Tileset Repoint
-(optional) 20 Tileset Expansion [$F0+ ]

JAM:

-Morphing Ball Fix
-Yellow Gate Fix
-Vertical Door Fix (need a readme for this one?)

Rakki:

-(optional?) Door Speedups
-CRE Patch

Flamestar666:

-Heat bit in areas besides norfair
-(optional) Tileset 1-17 Repoint [$E6:0000-$F5:C000] (set data is not shared)

SadiztykFish and Kejardon:

-Spinjump restarting

Hex Tweaks:

-(maybe?) Faster door transitions
-(maybe?) Spinning jumps no longer lose a little bit of height if run button is held with speed booster equipped.
-(maybe?) Samus' running speed no longer resets after landing from a jump (found by DSO).
-(?) Greatly reduces the waiting time until player has control of Samus again after shinesparking into a solid surface (found by SadiztykFish).
-How long Samus can fall before space jump no longer works. (increased from 05 to 06 for both air and water)
-Faster elevators
-Pressing right on the equipment screen while in the "beam" frame leads to "boots" instead of "misc." (found by JAM) (reset glitch is
impossible)
-Golden Torizo works in any area[/spoiler]