News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

General Hack Ideas

Started by DSO, May 20, 2009, 08:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietus

It seems like a good idea, but the only real way to do it would be to use only the universal patches - ones that only fix problems, rather than actually changing anything.  Quoting your list above, I think if it were to be done, it should only contain:

Quote from: Qactis on January 10, 2011, 05:48:14 PM
[spoiler=Super Metroid RTG]
Kejardon:

-Elbow Fix
-Aim Anything
-Reflec fix
-Super Missile counting as 2 projectiles bug fix

Jathys:

-Credit sheet

DChronos:

-Map Patch!

Black_Falcon:

-(optional) HUD Hack
-(maybe?) Morphball Animation Part II

DeepSpaceObserver:

-(optional) Tileset Repoint
-(optional) 20 Tileset Expansion [$F0+ ]

JAM:

-Morphing Ball Fix - Not 100% what this one did, so unsure.
-Yellow Gate Fix
-Vertical Door Fix (need a readme for this one?)

Rakki:

-(optional?) Door Speedups
-CRE Patch - Not 100% what this one did, so unsure.

Flamestar666:

-Heat bit in areas besides norfair
-(optional) Tileset 1-17 Repoint [$E6:0000-$F5:C000] (set data is not shared)

SadiztykFish and Kejardon:

-Spinjump restarting

Hex Tweaks:

-(maybe?) Faster door transitions
-(maybe?) Spinning jumps no longer lose a little bit of height if run button is held with speed booster equipped.
-(maybe?) Samus' running speed no longer resets after landing from a jump (found by DSO).
-(?) Greatly reduces the waiting time until player has control of Samus again after shinesparking into a solid surface (found by SadiztykFish).
-How long Samus can fall before space jump no longer works. (increased from 05 to 06 for both air and water)
-Faster elevators
-Pressing right on the equipment screen while in the "beam" frame leads to "boots" instead of "misc." (found by JAM) (reset glitch is
impossible)
-Golden Torizo works in any area[/spoiler]

It's a much smaller list.  All of the others you listed, I would consider as optional, even though some of them will likely be used by 99% of hackers.

MetroidMst

I would see DSO's tieset repoint as much need as it gives the hacker plenty of room to work with in the tileset department. Of course, if the hacker isn't going to edit the tilesets it would be necessary...

Crashtour99

Quote from: Quietus on January 11, 2011, 08:02:02 AM
Rakki:
-CRE Patch - Not 100% what this one did, so unsure.

This mainly moves the graphics display of certain collectible items out of the CRE leaving room for extra custom graphics in the CRE.
I personally used it to make room for my beam specific shot blocks (and missile block).

Quietus

In which case you could scratch that from my list too, as it's not a fix-only alteration.

Lunaria

Both spin jump restart and keep speed when landing are stupid to include due to the fact that things like that are physics design options, not general bug fix or resource adding. :/

Zero One

New idea, being able to Screw Attack while Shinesparking? Shinespark, then press the jump button. Samus will continue at her current velocity while Screw Attacking. Maybe make it use x1.5 the health, but being able to get through to certain areas?

Crashtour99

That is actually easily possible due to a glitch resulting from the conflict between the Shinespark Controller item and the Spinjump Restarting patches.  Produces some interesting effects, however if you shoot your beam (or use the aim down button against a solid surface iirc) it puts you in a standing position and if you hit a wall like that the emulator crashes.

Edit: I finally figured out what was going on with that.  In fact there is no conflict between the 2 patches I mentioned, it's actual code in the shinespark item patch (see collaboration thread for details).

JAM

Quote from: Quietus on January 11, 2011, 08:02:02 AM
JAM:
-Morphing Ball Fix - Not 100% what this one did, so unsure.
Simply changes the values that Morphing Ball in ball form and hidden Morphing Ball gives you. So, you will not get Spring Ball instead of Morphing Ball anymore. It's a 2 byte change and the same can be done is SMILE.

Qactis

Please note the above was a concept list and I was openly inviting suggestions to it. I'm not trying to force customization options on players and any entry in the list labeled (optional) would be in a separate patch that is labeled as so. I just tried to make a list of hacks most people would end up applying to their hack.

Quietus

Quote from: JAM on January 11, 2011, 03:14:09 PMSimply changes the values that Morphing Ball in ball form and hidden Morphing Ball gives you. So, you will not get Spring Ball instead of Morphing Ball anymore. It's a 2 byte change and the same can be done is SMILE.
Thanks, JAM.  I thought that's what it did, but wasn't 100%. :^_^:

Quote from: Qactis on January 11, 2011, 06:18:12 PMPlease note the above was a concept list and I was openly inviting suggestions to it. I'm not trying to force customization options on players and any entry in the list labeled (optional) would be in a separate patch that is labeled as so. I just tried to make a list of hacks most people would end up applying to their hack.
I understood this, but it sounded like you were looking to acquire a list of those that could be applied in one quick move by any hacker.  This concept is sound, as long as you stick to the actual fixes, as I suggested.  All of the other ones you suggested are certainly likely to be used by a lot of people, but they are all still design choices, and some hackers may not want them, which makes it very difficult to include many patches.

Scyzer

Well, tbh it seems a quite pointless thing to do. If you're going to have all sorts of combinations of patches and shit, you're going to end up with more combination patches than there are of the patches you are combining :/

Quietus

That's why I was suggesting a patch that only contains the actual fixes, which don't interfere with any artistic aspects, since they'd be user specific.  I agree with you that anything else would lead to having patches coming out of your ears.

JAM

Quietus
But then it'll be like Fix collection patch, which is good too.

Anyway, I have an idea of item that will morph the ball even more, to the size of bomb, allowing to travel in very tiny tunnels in width of 1 tile if press down in morph form.

Qactis

Quote from: JAM on January 15, 2011, 06:18:55 PM
Anyway, I have an idea of item that will morph the ball even more, to the size of bomb, allowing to travel in very tiny tunnels in width of 1 tile if press down in morph form.
F***ing genius D:

Lunaria

I have an even better idea, MEGA morph ball which turns you into an 32x32 pixel ball that just ROLLS OVER AND FLATTENS enemies on the spot! :D!:

Scyzer

How about a 1 pixel high morph ball by pressing down again? Then samus could travel under enemies without being hit! :D

And then press down again! Samus is gone!

Zhs2

People need to be contracted to do graphics and AI coding of younger enemies to supplement the bosses in Super Metroid, things like:

• Pet Ridley
  • Baby Draygon (Well, the graphics are there... swooping AI in a separate room?)
  • Hauntlet (Or Phantoonlet, if people feel it should be named after daddy)
  • Little Botwoon
  • Spore (lol Spore Spawn)
  • Younger Brain

No, The Hatchling doesn't get kids because it's The Hatchling. Besides, all of those other Metroids you brutally murdered in the other rooms have to be related somehow.

Alternatively, adult versions of regular enemies to be used as bosses (Sidehopper Queen? Alpha Kihunter? King Skultera? Grandmaw?)

Fe

I was thinking about making a multi-beam item that makes it so you can fire several beams at once. You would hold the fire button, and 5 or six shots come out at once:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Obviously would not work with charge beam, and for some reason does not work with wave. Still, it would be pretty cool...

JAM

An interesting idea came in mind.

Gravity Ball item. Allows to exceed terminal velocity in ball form and thus be able gain more velocity when falling. When reaching new falling speed limit, gain blue echoes (if you have Speed Booster) and stop accelerating. This way, shaft filled with speed booster blocks can be entered. If unmorphing, lose speed booster effect (blue echoes)

Or maybe create gravity blocks that can be breaked only with Gravity Ball item collected, i.e., only when falling on them with high speed. In certain areas player should climb higher to gain enough speed to break gravity blocks.

Quote from: Zhs2 on March 07, 2011, 06:34:22 AM
Hauntlet (Or Phantoonlet, if people feel it should be named after daddy)
Well, GAI is looks like mini Phantoon.

personitis

Quote from: JAM on April 27, 2011, 05:57:17 PMGravity Ball item. Allows to exceed terminal velocity
I know we're talking about a woman in a space suit who blows up space stations and planets, fights armies of space pirates, creatures 50 times her size, and can contort herself into a ball roughly 0.4/0.5 times her size, but don't you think the idea of bypassing terminal velocity is a little dangerous. XD Cool idea bro.

Quietus

Quote from: person701 on May 08, 2011, 02:14:26 PMdon't you think the idea of bypassing terminal velocity is a little dangerous.
There's no way around it, unless you want to get the booster status at a really low speed, which'd look odd.

Qactis

Quote from: XavierSMRH on March 12, 2011, 10:42:47 AM
I was thinking about making a multi-beam item that makes it so you can fire several beams at once. You would hold the fire button, and 5 or six shots come out at once:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Obviously would not work with charge beam, and for some reason does not work with wave. Still, it would be pretty cool...

Repeator Cannon (fast firing, fast moving, wimpy, charge-beamless beam you get early on) is a planned beam in Metroid: Synergy

herald83

Got a few things that have been percolating for a while.

[spoiler=Idea #1]
On a scale of 1 to 10 (1: "Wow, sounds fun/challenging."; 10: "Dude, that's a dick move, no.") what are people's thoughts on a hack that removed enemy health/ammo drops and has more frequent (though sensibly placed) refill stations?

In most hacks, I typically find myself running around blasting shit, not feeling particularly challenged, and on the rare event that death is impending, it's usually not that hard to find some weak enemies to kill over and over for health.  Naturally, efforts would have to be taken to ensure that the player can't run out of ammo and get stuck behind a respawning PB rock or something, but I thought it could be an interesting change of pace.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Idea #2]
An item that causes missiles (or supers or whatever) to regenerate very slowly over time.  This could work in concert with the first idea to eliminate being stuck, or just be a cool thing to pick up.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Idea #3]
A "data station", much like the map station, that sets off a cutscene like the parts of the intro where Samus' head is in the background and text appears on the screen.  Like she's reading stuff off a data terminal or something.  Could be a neat way to develop a story in game, assuming you have enough ASMs to make it possible. :grin:[/spoiler]

Crashtour99

Ideas 1 and 2:
Pretty much what I've done in my hack already.  Charge beam healing, weapons damage (with infinite ammo, and further upgrades lessen damage), no drops from enemies.  Ninja'd.   :heheh: