News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Old SMILE Help Thread

Started by GF_Kennon, May 17, 2009, 02:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunnargumpert

OK! that picture

i didn't know about the click! I'll try it at home

(i clicked it at school, but there isn't my hack, but the door has gone as I tested! it'll work!!!)

THANKS!

is OK! but the crumble blocks are still broken!

squishy_ichigo

Quote from: gunnargumpert on February 02, 2010, 05:18:13 AM
is OK! but the crumble blocks are still broken!

Aren't crumble blocks supposed to break? ;D

Its already been stated why the crumble blocks, "aren't working".  You have to have door transitions on the edge of the room, or on the edge of a red scroll screen, otherwise errors like that happen.

Also, for up/down transitions, the scroll needs to be set up right.  Going down needs a green scroll, and going up needs a blue scroll.

To show scroll screens, go to 'view -> options -> show scroll areas'

personitis

Times like these make me want to do tut vids... maybe I will on my free time. meh.

gunnargumpert, though you may not like reading through the documents and though this is the help thread, it's grenerally well known to do the best search you can before you ask a question. For that I direct you http://www.metroidconstruction.com/docs/person701SMILEGuide.txt to my guide on SMILE. Hopefully it should be enough to answer any minuscule questions you have in the future.

FullOfFail

I'm not here to ask a question, but rather explain an alternate method of adding doors to a room. Stealing them! Yes, stealing them from other rooms. The process is alot simpler and faster than using a hex editor to add new ones, and I haven't encountered many problems yet. The only problem I had so far was when I tried to add a extra door to a elevator room. All you have to do is copy a door from a room that really isnt necessary (plenty of rooms like that in Norfair) and find where you want to put it and place it in the exact center of the scroll. Then go into clone editor, and door editor, ect., and connect it (I'm not going to explain that here). Make sure it works properly, then go back and make sure to delete the one in the room you stole it from so you don't get mixed up.

EDIT: Person701 is right. You need to change the door pointers or it'll get mixed up. So as GF said, you need to 'swap' them.

Quote:
"say like, you made a room that requires 5 doors, but has 2, and a room that needs 2 door, but has 5, give them each others pointers, wont cause any problems, but will be messy, but not that anyone will know xd"

personitis

What? Unless you're talking about moving pointers, you shortcutting building doors from scratch in SMILE or improperly adding doors. What the work in the hex editor allows is to create new door out pointers thus adding to the total amount of doors you can have in a room. But then again, your method could be overwriting important door data in it's respective bank. Also, I've known to have doors past room limit without proper repointing to produce unwanted effects in game (crashes, loud ****ing noise, etc.).

rolando

dumb question but how do i look up the enemies in hex again? what bank are they in?

also how could i find the location of the bomb jump while in morphball,because i would like to make an item to allow samus to bombjump and without it she can't bombjump.

Scyzer

Quote from: rolando on February 03, 2010, 10:25:39 PM
dumb question but how do i look up the enemies in hex again? what bank are they in?

also how could i find the location of the bomb jump while in morphball,because i would like to make an item to allow samus to bombjump and without it she can't bombjump.

Enemies take up quite a few banks. Each enemy's bank can be viewed in the enemy editor. On the first DNA page it has the enemy bank. That bank will contain all the data for each enemy.

If you want to add NEW enemies, the bank to look at is $A0 ($100000 - $107FFF). This is all the data you see in the enemy editor. The actual data for a room's enemies (what enemies are where) is in bank $B4, but the allowed list data is in bank $A1. Confusing, I know.

Basically:
$A0 = Enemy pointers (enemy editor data)
$A1 = Enemy allowed lists
$A2 - $AA = Enemy AIs (ASM and tilemaps, etc)
$B2 - $B3 = Enemy AIs (ASM and tilemaps, etc)
$B4 = Room's enemy type + placement

Can't remember about your second question. a few weeks ago I completely ripped apart the bomb and powerbomb routines, but being the lazy shit I am, I didn't document anything =P

DSO

Bombjump routine starts with a JSL $A09785 somewhere just past $828B44 in the ROM.

Quietus

Quote from: Quietus on January 31, 2010, 09:00:10 AMJust thought I'd check this before I bugger something up.

Sadiz kindly answered my question here:

Quote from: Sadiztyk Fish on January 24, 2010, 11:47:06 PM
Quote from: Quietus on January 24, 2010, 09:37:16 AM
What would I have to alter to allow only one wall-jump?
1. Change the values at $A1702 from 20 F5 95 to EA EA EA. This makes Samus SOMETIMES screw up the wall jump and fall off.
OR
2. Change the value at $8AA03 from 83 to 29 and $8AA34 from 84 to 2A. This will make samus enter a falling pose when she comes out the a wall jump, but she will always reach max jump height (even if you release jump). Alternativly you can change the values to 4B and 4C respectivly, and this will put her into the crouch pose (exactly the same as if you wall-jumped during a pseudo screw attack, but without the charge)

But having checked, the value at 8AA03 is 00, so should this read 8AA0E?  I've changed the values 8AA0E and 8AA34 to 4B and 4C respectively, as suggested, and it appears to work fine, but I thought I'd check with those more experienced before I go and kill it. :razz:  Also, I'd like to add that luckily morphing from a wall-jump still works, which I was worried about losing.  The window to do so is now quite tight, but I suspect that most people were doing so anyway.  Especially if they've bloody played bloody Cliff-bloody-hanger.  No offence, Dman! :heheh:

Thanks again.

EDIT: Question 2: Is it safe to overwrite all of the tiles that have P's in the corners?

Sorry to pester! :blush:

GF_Kennon

Quote from: Quietus on February 04, 2010, 06:02:16 AM
EDIT: Question 2: Is it safe to overwrite all of the tiles that have P's in the corners?

yes, but there is a chance it might get too big which would require repointing.

Quietus

I've already used the patch that repoints all of the tilesets, so I should be safe enough.  I'm not going too far over, but was just mildly concerned that the P's actually did something important. :^_^:

tbolt76

Does anyone know of a way to stop the fade to black when entering a door  that will give my game a original metroid feel to it

Scyzer

Quote from: Quietus on February 04, 2010, 02:11:14 PM
I've already used the patch that repoints all of the tilesets, so I should be safe enough.  I'm not going too far over, but was just mildly concerned that the P's actually did something important. :^_^:

They don't do anything. It's just a graphic, and graphics don't have any ASM embedded in them (or they wouldn't look like the things they do), so you can safely take out the P tiles, overwrite them, remove the P from the tileset, etc.

JAM

Quote from: Sadiztyk Fish on February 04, 2010, 01:42:03 AM
$A1 = Enemy allowed lists
$B4 = Room's enemy type + placement
Well, not exactly... There is an error of listing functions in SMILE.
$A1 = enemy placement, speed, speed 2, special (flags like move off-screen, platform etc.) and orientation.
$B4 = enemy allowed.

gunnargumpert

what must i do, if a door (falling door) brakes the tiles after entering?

personitis

Elaborate/pics would probably help. By falling door I take it you mean one that enters the ground and exits on a ceiling?

gunnargumpert

the animation in this video! that´s the problem!

[spoiler]Super Meetroid Door Bug (Smile Edit)[/spoiler]

thelicker

Need help with TLP.
Someone can tell me how I change the Missile/S. Missile/PB/Grappling Beam/X-Ray selectable icons?
And the Energy Tanks?

FullOfFail

That's the HUD, you need to change it to gameboy mode (view>format>gameboy (in TLP)) then find it. Sorry I don't have it's exact number written down. It's by a bunch of map tiles and everything in the HUD. All the stuff you asked for is in the same area. Make sure it's not the status screen ones though.

Note that if you say change the map tiles or something in that area, you would need to change it for the status screen area too.

If you can't find it just let me know and I'll track down the exact number.
EDIT: GoTo (Hex)> D3200

thelicker

It worked, very thanks man!
Soon I will post a image of my new missiles, S. missiles and Power Bombs (sprites, itens, icons)  :^_^:

EDIT: I have more one question, if not bother. How do I change the item names?

Scyzer

Quote from: thelicker on February 08, 2010, 01:46:00 PM
EDIT: I have more one question, if not bother. How do I change the item names?

There's 2 things you need to change pretty much:
- The GFX for the status screen item names (located in TLP after $1B0000)
- The tilemaps for the message boxes when you pick up an item. The tilemaps are located in bank $85 ($28000-$2FFFF). Use DC's message box guide to edit these

thelicker

But it works in a JU Rom? And I need to clean my Rom to do it? I already removed de header...
I using JU because I can't open USA rom in SMILE... "This Rom is PAL and not properly with SMILE".

personitis

Zhs2

Quote from: thelicker
But it works in a JU Rom? And I need to clean my Rom to do it? I already removed de header...
I using JU because I can't open USA rom in SMILE... "This Rom is PAL and not properly with SMILE".
You've got it backwards, boy. A PAL rom is the European counterpart to the Japanese and American NTSC rom, which are marked with (E) and (JU) respectively. Only the NTSC (JU) rom is supported by SMILE. PAL (E) roms used to be editable, but the enemy tables did not match up with the NTSC lookups and so PAL support was removed.

JAM

how could i find the location of the bomb jump while in morphball,because i would like to make an item to allow samus to bombjump and without it she can't bombjump.
Ok, I'll teach you how to fishing...

1. Find a routine that executes bomb jumping somewhere in bank 90 (maybe this one is listed in Hex Tweaks or Hex Notes or in doc Random Routines by Kej)

This is the hardest step.

2. Find an operator that calls your routine. If a routine starts from 87654 (just example), search for a JSL operator, entering 20 XX XX in search field (in this case 20 54 F6).

3. Create your own routine that will loads collected items from memory and check if some item is equipped or not. If not equipped, return. If equipped, call routine performing bomb jumping (20 54 F6).

4. Replace all refers to bomb jumping subroutine with your newly writted subroutine.

EDIT:
DSO has found one

Quote82:8B61 (also 10B61) 22 85 97 A0 > EA EA EA EA; disables bomb jumping.

So, change 22 85 97 A0 to 20 XX XX EA where XX XX -- address of your new subroutine (in bank 82).
Or, change 22 85 97 A0 to 22 XX XX YY where XX XX -- address of your new subroutine and YY is the bank