News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Old SMILE Help Thread

Started by GF_Kennon, May 17, 2009, 02:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sperry

Thanks for your help! You guys are awesome.

Quote from: Sadiztyk Fish on January 13, 2010, 09:40:01 PM
Well, yes it is quite easily possible. But since you're new I wouldn't worry about doing it yet.

You'd have to run the code that sets up a PLM to where the enemy died when the enemies health reaches 0. When you get more knowledgable with ASM you'll be able to do that.

Ok, so I'll continue building and come back to this problem later.

Two new questions, however.

1) I'd like my ZEELAs to act more like KAMERs. That is, I'd basically like them to be moving platforms. The problem is SAMUS does not move when she jumps on them. The ZEELAs just slide from under her instead of carrying her around. Is there any way around  this?

2) Also, I'd like to make it so my ZEELAs can be grappled onto with the grapple beam. All works fine when I modify the enemy DNA: the ZEELA now acts more like a PUU as SAMUS can latch onto it with the grapple beam. However, when a ZEELA goes into a tight tunnel, SAMUS - still grappling onto it - follows the ZEELA and passes through the wall. Is there any way to stop the grapple beam when SAMUS hits a wall?

Scyzer

Quote from: Sperry on January 14, 2010, 07:22:30 AM
1) I'd like my ZEELAs to act more like KAMERs. That is, I'd basically like them to be moving platforms. The problem is SAMUS does not move when she jumps on them. The ZEELAs just slide from under her instead of carrying her around. Is there any way around  this?

2) Also, I'd like to make it so my ZEELAs can be grappled onto with the grapple beam. All works fine when I modify the enemy DNA: the ZEELA now acts more like a PUU as SAMUS can latch onto it with the grapple beam. However, when a ZEELA goes into a tight tunnel, SAMUS - still grappling onto it - follows the ZEELA and passes through the wall. Is there any way to stop the grapple beam when SAMUS hits a wall?

1. I've never tried this, but I don't know why it wouldn't work. There are enemies that move sideways that act perfect;y fine as platforms. I'd check the touch AI as well between the 2 enemies.

2. That is a problem with the game, not the enemy. AFAIK, no one's fixed this yet, but if an eenemy goes somewhere you normally can't, you'll just get dragged right through. This doesn't happen with the flying armored things cause they don't go through walls =P

bjdabomb777

I can't get the Golden Torizo to work. When he lands from the ceiling, he doesn't move!

His Special is 2000, and his Speed, Speed 2, and Orientation are 0000. He is placed on screen 00x01, and from the bottom left corner, he is 6 tiles to the right and 5 tiles up.

Did I do something wrong?  :neutral:

(I know the text file doesn't say how to activate him.  :<_<: )

squishy_ichigo

iirc, he has to land at the right elevation. Otherwise he doesn't do anything.

I had this similar problem, but having him land at his usual height fixed it.
Perhaps someone else knows a better solution though.

GF_Kennon

Didnt you have to have a certain item in your inventory?  :pwuh:

bjdabomb777

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on January 16, 2010, 02:18:11 PM

Well, that worked! I'm not sure if there's any way to make him work otherwise, though. :neutral:
One way or the other, thanks. :^_^:

Quietus

Where do I need to be heading to edit the beam sprites?

I'm sure I found the Grapple ones, but can't seem to see them in the correct colours, and couldn't see the other beams anywhere.

Also, how can I change the palette that a power-up uses.  The top right-hand corner of the X-ray seems to be at odds with the rest...

JAM

You'd have to run the code that sets up a PLM to where the enemy died when the enemies health reaches 0.
In this case, the new PLM will appear when boss is exploading.
Another way is to check specific event. Any boss will set event after die. (Bomb Torizo: 42, Kraid: 48, Spore Spawn: 49, Ridley: 50, Crocomiro: 51, Golden Torizo: 52, Phantoon: 58, etc...). Or, check boss event (same event array, but starts from event 40 for Crateria, 48 for Brinstar, etc.). With this PLM will appear at the right time.

When you get more knowledgable with ASM you'll be able to do that.
Well, I know ASM a little. I guess I've found a 3 solutions:

1. Code that will add new item directly. I know there are routine at 84:83D7, but I don't know how to set high and low bytes with it.

2. Place Chozo Ball as first PLM in the room. Place another PLMs. After this in pointers window add 6 to PLM's value and save.
Code to be written will substract 0006 from memory where PLM address stored.
[Don't sure, will this be working or not]

3. The easier one, I think. Place PLM #0 (Chozo Ball) somewhere offscreen. 1 screen below the place where item should be, for example. To do so, change size of the room, place PLM, save, change size back, save again.
Code to be written will change position of the first item.

The code should be placed somewhere in bank 8F. Pointer to it should be at the doors leading to boss room at "Scroll Pointer" field.

Any better ideas, anyone? I'm interesting in this too.

Sperry

I'm back with 2 new questions:

First, going back to my BOTOON issue:

Quote from: GF_Kennon on January 13, 2010, 06:19:24 AM
Yes, you would open your hack in a hex editor and go to 36C48, then just mess with the value there, remember we count in hex (i.e. 0F = 15 in decimal and FF is iirc 255

I've changed 36C48 from C6 (198) to 2D (45), but now the BOTOON doesn't shoot anything when it sticks its head out any more but simply roars. I don't mind this, but what have I done wrong? Also, I'd like to change the amount of damage SAMUS receives when she touches the BOTOON. I can edit the amount for when SAMUS touches its head, but if she touches its body, she still looses way too much hp. Where can I edit how much damage the BOTOON's body gives out? Also, I'd like to remove the exploding wall to the right which appears after killing it.

2. Simple question: I'm moving save stations, but pressing L on a prior room doesn't bring up the load station box (even when I pressed shift+ctrl or shift+alt). What can I do?

As for the item question, I'm still trying to figure this out. Thanks for your reply, Jam. :)

Smiley

Quote from: Sperry on January 18, 2010, 05:10:22 AM
2. Simple question: I'm moving save stations, but pressing L on a prior room doesn't bring up the load station box (even when I pressed shift+ctrl or shift+alt). What can I do?
Edit -> Area Load Stations

Quote from: Quietus
Where do I need to be heading to edit the beam sprites?
xD7200. To get the palette, open SABS, go to Special GFX Palettes and select Beam Palettes.

gunnargumpert

i need help!

i set the door, from the room 91F9 (1st room, the one with the ship) to 92FD, 1 scroll layer higher and if i go back to 91F9 in test with snes 9x it shows the background from the room bevore!

i made the door working perfect, but the background is not working correct!

please help!

P.JBoy

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on January 16, 2010, 02:18:11 PM

I made a patch that fixes that once, should probably release it

Lunaria

Quote from: gunnargumpert on January 19, 2010, 10:34:48 AM
i need help!

i set the door, from the room 91F9 (1st room, the one with the ship) to 92FD, 1 scroll layer higher and if i go back to 91F9 in test with snes 9x it shows the background from the room bevore!

i made the door working perfect, but the background is not working correct!

please help!

AKA, scrolling sky bug. IIRC there is a patch that fixes it. If not remove layer 1_2 data pointer and BG data pointer and make a new custom layer 2 BG.

gunnargumpert

scrolling sky bug --> Patch???

where to download it? what does it do?

p.s.: i made some modyfied tiles, everything worked,but after editing only doors and background, the tiles of som sets were broken!!!

why?

i didn´t overwrite anything, smile didn´t say anything! i only addet some ips grafic patches for items and beams!

personitis

1.) Fixes that BG glitch you're having.
2.) http://interdpth.arc-nova.org/PJs%20stuff/
It's the first IPS Patch.

gunnargumpert

i made some modyfied tiles, everything worked,but after editing only doors and background, the tiles of som sets were broken!!!

why?

i didn´t overwrite anything, smile didn´t say anything! i only addet some ips grafic patches for items and beams!

MetroidMst

Could you have applied a headered patch to an unheadered rom?r the other way around.

gunnargumpert

no, unheadered ips + rom without header (removed in smile)

squishy_ichigo

gunnargumpert: This most likely happened because you went over the limit for the gfx for your tilesheets.  To be 100% sure that when you insert new stuff its not gonna overwrite other stuff, you need to repoint it to free space.

Read over this little guide HERE and if you don't get it, lemme know and I'll help you with the repoint.

We have a variety of documents on this site you might also want to look over if you haven't already.
http://metroidconstruction.com/Documents.php

Smiley

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on January 20, 2010, 08:33:43 AM
gunnargumpert: This most likely happened because you went over the limit for the gfx for your tilesheets.  To be 100% sure that when you insert new stuff its not gonna overwrite other stuff, you need to repoint it to free space.
To make life repointing GFX easier, i give you this. (Actually it's Flamestar666 giving it)

Quietus

Quote from: Quietus on January 17, 2010, 02:52:21 PMAlso, how can I change the palette that a power-up uses.  The top right-hand corner row of the X-ray seems to be at odds with the rest...

Any ideas on this one, guys?  I noticed it also does it with the beam pickups. :sad:

MetroidMst

Is it only in QuickMet? I can't think of anything that changes those palettes... Unless you've somehow managed to get the top right corner of the X-Ray tile repointed to another palette. I'll have to give it some more thought.

squishy_ichigo

Quietus: oh, haha. I didn't see that post! Or I would have told you the first time.
(I learned from Sadi, who in turn learned from Kej (from his notes to my knowledge))

Anywho... its in with the plm data itself.

Quote from: Kej NotesWave (DONE) (EEFB --> EE64, E213)
64 87 00 8D 00 02 00 00 00 02 00 00
7C 88 3D E2 24 8A 33 E2                         C1 86 89 DF                      4F E0 67 E0 24 87 2B E2 99 88 DD 8B 02 B0 88 01 00 10 24 87 A9 DF

the bolded part is the part we are interested in.  These are the palette lines that each 8x8 square of the PLM uses.  Second four bytes are for the glow version of that plm. (each item plm has a glow/non glow version.)

iirc, it goes top right, top left, bottom right, bottom left (don't remember)

I can make a list later for all of the offsets.  I changed these for my items I made awhile back, but I never documented them.

related pic:

edit: ok here it is. :P
see attachment

Charmander106

How do I edit the elevators? kinda having problems with it. Been messing with it but nothing seems to change the outcome.

FullOfFail

Quote from: Webber1900 on January 21, 2010, 04:09:14 PM
How do I edit the elevators? kinda having problems with it. Been messing with it but nothing seems to change the outcome.

Squishy made a document on this:
http://metroidconstruction.com/docs/squishy_ichigoElevators.txt
But I think that's for adding new elevators.

If you want to change where the elevator leads I think you need to scroll over the blocks and hit D. Copy all that data then find the other room you want it to lead to and replace it. It's been awhile since I've done this, so somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. Just open up a fresh rom and play with it.

Edit: Yeah, I just did it. You need to click D over the very top or bottom blocks and copy that data on paper (or w/e). Go ahead and do this for all 4 elevator shafts.
Here's a few I jotted:
[spoiler]Green Brinstar Top - 9AD9 C0 02 00 00 00 00 0000 BD25
Green Brinstar Bottom - 0038 D0 03 00 00 00 00 0000 BE36
Red Brinstar Top - A332 E0 02 00 00 00 00 0000 BA21
Red Brinstar Bottom - 962A F0 03 00 00 00 00 0000 0000
[/spoiler]

So basically you would need to take what was the top of the other and replace it with the new location you wish it to go. Green Brinstar Top - 9AD9.. > Red Brinstar Top - A332..