News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Phazon Hack 0.5 (Under Construction)

Started by A_red_monk_called_Key, January 12, 2010, 04:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SM_Fan122

I believe it is room 729B3, the 2nd room on the list. At least for me the room is a jumbled mess. Ive tried to reapply the patch several times with no success... :cry:  

Here is what it looks like on mine, click the thumbnail for a larger view:

With my minimal smile experience, this room is a little daunting to try and attempt to fix... :whoa:

Quote from: The Purple Helmet on May 01, 2010, 01:31:48 PM
I am also having the same problem in the same spot. The screen is filled with what appears to be solid blocks all the way through. Do you happen to have the rooms address so I can go in and create a path onward? I am really enjoying this hack so far and being stuck here is quite frustrating!  :stern:

AgentDC76

Heh, I wouldn't touch that with a ten-foot pole. Of course, I'm a total n00b when it comes to SMILE :blush:

Opened it up in SMILE and the room is literally half full of red doortops. :P

AgentDC76

It's actually 792FD that doesn't work for me. I ended up hacking my way out of the situation by changing the green door two rooms before that one (the long hallway between the large ice chamber and the super missile expansion in the tight spot) into a red door using SMILE. It does make for a little bit of a convoluted journey, but better than than not being able to play period. ;)

THE Purple Helmet

Yeah that is actually the one in question for me too. 3rd 1 down. I fixed it earlier and got a good lesson in smile use.I just got the blue phazon, grapple and speed booster and am now wandering aimlessly looking for my next destination. Aparently I missed Nova Beam....This hack is really fun but my only complaint so far (aside from having to teach myself to level edit to pass 1 room  :^_^:) is that the phazon mine level is just not much fun at all. I felt like I was feeling through the dark the whole time and while the rest of the hack is quite vivid, the brightness was turned down so low that it was just kind of a pain. What I could see did have some great effects though! Now if I could only locate some bosses....

EDIT: just got power bombs and space jump so I have plenty to go check out but I still cant for the life of me find the Nova Beam! Can someone give more clear direction to its location maybe???

AgentDC76

Quote from: THE Purple Helmet on May 02, 2010, 10:17:06 PM
Yeah that is actually the one in question for me too. 3rd 1 down. I fixed it earlier and got a good lesson in smile use.I just got the blue phazon, grapple and speed booster and am now wandering aimlessly looking for my next destination. Aparently I missed Nova Beam....This hack is really fun but my only complaint so far (aside from having to teach myself to level edit to pass 1 room  :^_^:) is that the phazon mine level is just not much fun at all. I felt like I was feeling through the dark the whole time and while the rest of the hack is quite vivid, the brightness was turned down so low that it was just kind of a pain. What I could see did have some great effects though! Now if I could only locate some bosses....

EDIT: just got power bombs and space jump so I have plenty to go check out but I still cant for the life of me find the Nova Beam! Can someone give more clear direction to its location maybe???

[spoiler]It's not far from where you got the Bombs.[/spoiler]

Seiferoth

Can anyone help me?  I have been having problems with the new 0.1 version.  I already completed the previous version, but I downloaded the new version today.  The first time I patched it every room was filled with (for lack of a better word) "junk" tiles.  The second time I patched it, it came out fine.  Until I got to this point (see map in pic), then it was full of "junk" again.  So I tried patching it again, but got the same result.  Anyone else experiencing problems like this?  Any ideas on how to fix it?
Here is what it looks like:

I used to get a room like this on the old version if I re-entered Spore Spawn's room after killing it, but nowhere else.

EDIT: Just opened up SMILE, and found out its room 792FD.  It looks like about 60%ish of the room is covered in those orange door tiles, the top of the room is ok, but wtf has happened to the rest of it??   Don't know much about using SMILE, and even if I did, I wouldn't be able to fix it without knowing what the room is supposed to look like in the first place.  I have checked all the other rooms in SMILE, and this error is not present in any other room.

EDIT: Just re-downloaded the patch, and tried again but got the same thing in that room.  Have tried both headered and unheadered roms.  Headered rom just crashes emu.  Unheadered rom works fine apart from that room.  Any ideas what is wrong?

Altzan

I tried this hack, and ended up stuck in Spore Spawn's room without missiles or charge beam.
Maybe later.

Looks beastin' awesome though.

Seiferoth

Quote from: Altzan on May 06, 2010, 09:43:57 AM
I tried this hack, and ended up stuck in Spore Spawn's room without missiles or charge beam.
Maybe later.

[spoiler]You can't be stuck in that room.  You're supposed to carry on through the right door to get the charge beam, then come back in to defeat it.[/spoiler]

Altzan

Quote from: Seiferoth on May 06, 2010, 10:47:16 AM
Quote from: Altzan on May 06, 2010, 09:43:57 AM
Maybe later.

[spoiler]You can't be stuck in that room.  You're supposed to carry on through the right door to get the charge beam, then come back in to defeat it.[/spoiler]

Oh Lord. I didn't even try maneuvering around him, silly me  :mad:

THE Purple Helmet

I was feeling nice today and was going to provide a patch that is phazon version 0.1 with the room everyone is having trouble with repaired. Unfortunately I couldnt get the file to compress small enough (519 kb with a zipx file and about 100 kb more than that with regular zip). Anybody know a way around the file size to get it posted up here?

About the patch...anyone interested should note that I spent absolutely no effort on doing anything but adding platforms to navigate the room and recreating and relinking the doors to where they are supposed to go. What this patch wont do is make the room look incredibly pretty. What it will do is let you continue on with the hack. Not bad for a first time SMILE user eh? :lol: If anyone wants to I would be happy to email it to you.

Altzan

You could always use drop.io or Rapidshare, or something.
I don't know any good way to compress it.

AgentDC76

If you use 7zip (which is free) you could always try compressing it in 7z format.

Anyway, thanks for the extra patch, man! :grin: I'll take 'er for a spin when I'm able to get it.

A_red_monk_called_Key

I posted a new .ips I think i found the problem.

AgentDC76

Still sticks in that one spot.

2dWasSoGreat

same bug for me  :sad:
i tried every version i could find(headered, unheadered)

is there someone that can upload is super metroid(phazon hack)already hacked
i saw video of people playing on youtube and they dont encounter that bug

on rapidshare or something like that

Seem a really good hack !

THE Purple Helmet

http://rapidshare.com/files/386480203/Super_Metroid_Phazon.IPS.html

^ link to a patch to fix that room for version 0.1 ^

it was a free upload so it can only be downloaded 10 times. Get em while theyre hot!

just apply to a clean unheadered JU rom! Youre welcome  :^_^:

AgentDC76

Quote from: THE Purple Helmet on May 12, 2010, 11:27:26 AM
http://rapidshare.com/files/386480203/Super_Metroid_Phazon.IPS.html

^ link to a patch to fix that room for version 0.1 ^

it was a free upload so it can only be downloaded 10 times. Get em while theyre hot!

just apply to a clean unheadered JU rom! Youre welcome  :^_^:

Epic. I don't have to hack the door anymore. You rock. :yay:

Zhs2

Boom. I cheated and upgraded the upload size again since I forgot we weren't being attachment Nazis anymore. Apologies, Purple Helmet.

Silver Skree

Quote from: SM_Fan122 on May 01, 2010, 02:00:00 PM
And that, kids, is what happens when you have the game reading code as level data!
("You got ASM in my BTS!")

THE Purple Helmet

No prob. Glad we have a working copy now.

On that note I put this hack down a few daws ago after getting power bombs. Got nova now (finally) so I have everything except screw attack. Also I havent found Ridley, Draygoon or Kraid and  I have wandered aimlessly for a while now and I cant find the way on. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Seiferoth

Thanks for the fix. Although the room is now passable, its not exactly very aesthetic. I used it to pass the room and progress further into the game, however it still didn't sit right for me. So I've taken it upon myself to learn how to use SMILE, and have fixed the room (792FD). I used the older version as a template to recreate the room from scratch, and it seems to be working a treat. So for those who would like a complete version of the room, here it is.  Use it on a clean, unheadered JU rom.  As far as I can tell, everything is working fine, but feel free to let me know if anything has got messed up.

Quietus

While wanting to help is a good thing, did you get permission from the creator to amend anything?  It's just a courtesy, as there's nothing stopping you creating the patch for personal use, but posting it here is a bit off, to be honest.

Seiferoth

Quote from: Quietus on May 28, 2010, 05:42:24 AM
While wanting to help is a good thing, did you get permission from the creator to amend anything?  It's just a courtesy, as there's nothing stopping you creating the patch for personal use, but posting it here is a bit off, to be honest.

The room doesn't work in the hack as it is atm. Hence why THE Purple Helmet provided a fix so everyone could get past that room.

Quote from: THE Purple Helmet on May 07, 2010, 01:44:11 AM
anyone interested should note that I spent absolutely no effort on doing anything but adding platforms to navigate the room and recreating and relinking the doors to where they are supposed to go. What this patch wont do is make the room look incredibly pretty. What it will do is let you continue on with the hack.

As he said himself, he just made the room work. What I have done is used Red-M0nk3y's own layout from the previous version of the hack, and recreated it exactly in the new version (since it doesn't work). I don't see why there would be a problem in putting Red-M0nk3y's own work back into his hack.

But if it will keep everyone happy I will PM Red-M0nk3y now.

Seiferoth

One thing I noticed, while looking at this hack in SMILE, is that the doors that lead to a different area (sector/region/whatever else you want to call it) have a bitflag of 00. I was under the impression that doors leading to a different area required a bitflag of 40. I am quite new to Super Metroid hacking, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the reason the map doesn't work properly? If so, would setting all the relevant doors to the correct bitflag make the map work correctly?

As I said, I'm new to this, so feel free to let me know if I'm wrong.

On a different note entirely, accidentally found a new permastuck that I don't think has been mentioned before.
[spoiler=Permastuck]In room 79FBA, you must shinespark up through the room to obtain a missile expansion.  If you run out of energy in the top section that contains six consecutive speed blocks, you will end up trapped because the blocks respawn before you have time to fall back down.[/spoiler]
An easy one to miss since most people wouldn't do it with low health.  I haven't tested to see if this problem exists elsewhere.

THE Purple Helmet

As i said before i had to recreate the doors (recreate the correct bitflag and such) and relink them to the proper rooms using the map editor to see what rooms the doors will lead to. I would suggest going the the Engine works topics or the docs section on the main site. I think it was grimes doc on making doors that I used