News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

MEngine

Started by Physix, February 07, 2016, 08:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FPzero

Yeah those look pretty good. A neat touch would be if she looked up a little to indicate you're holding the Angle button to do a diagonal jump but that's entirely on you if you want to include yet another frame of animation to it.

Physix

Left:

Right:

72 frames shared between two sprites.
Made 100% by me, with references to Von's original SM sprite. Just putting that out there, in case anyone would like to claim otherwise.

FelixWright

Crazy that you threw that many frames into one animation. Well worth it though.

SirAileron

Quote from: FelixWright on March 28, 2016, 09:25:29 AM
Crazy that you threw that many frames into one animation. Well worth it though.
Definitely worth it. I'm always kind of hesitant to throw critique at stuff because of the amount of work that has to go into something like a Metroid engine. I feel like too much at once may just overburden the project.

Physix

https://youtu.be/s51CfXtJPtI

This'll be in the works for a while longer. A few priorities right here are the: gunship, dying, saving/loading/menu, the last few Samus sprites, and other details.
And if a certain few individuals are reading this, know that you'll be properly credited, even if I didn't exactly ask for your permission. If you have any problems with this, contact me.

To everyone else, Samus sprites designed by Infinity's End, most were made by me. A few of his original animations are still in use, such as standing idle, crouching, somersaulting, but the rest... I'm just being honest - I had to do a lot of work on them. Here are just a few examples, with the originals mixed in for reference:

The climbing animation I'm especially proud of:

I basically redid the entire sheet. I'll give him credit where it's due, his designs are awesome - but I did my fair share of work. As for the Power Bombs, we all know I didn't come up with those... Although they still look sweet.

Quietus

I appreciate all of the work you've put in, and I know you said before that you aren't interested, but it still surprises me that you didn't use different sprites to enable you to release this commercially, since it looks better than the large majority of indie releases that experience success. Either way, I look forward to its release. :^_^:

Quote58

The physics still aren't quite as tight as super metroid or the GBA games, but god damn are they good still.
As I've said before, I don't really care how much of this is actually yours, as long as everyone who helped make this is credited, because no matter who made it, it's fantastic and I'm happy to see it's almost complete.
Honestly, this and the one by scooterbooter are just phenomenal. If they are seen through to completion, they'll be an amazing tool for the community and anyone interested in metroid.

Physix

Quote from: Quote58 on April 02, 2016, 01:19:33 PM
The physics still aren't quite as tight as super metroid or the GBA games, but god damn are they good still.
As I've said before, I don't really care how much of this is actually yours, as long as everyone who helped make this is credited, because no matter who made it, it's fantastic and I'm happy to see it's almost complete.
Honestly, this and the one by scooterbooter are just phenomenal. If they are seen through to completion, they'll be an amazing tool for the community and anyone interested in metroid.

What isn't tight? I can change the physics to a Zm/Sm hybrid (more gravity = more use for power grip), but finding the correct values is difficult.

Drewseph

IMO that walljump speed needs tweaking, faster vertical and pushing away from the wall speed.  Grapple should actually have some collision checks in order to guide the grapple beam to the nearest grapple block so you don't just "miss" those single blocks from only being a tile or so off

MollyAncalime

What if, instead of walljumping with a shinespark, you could get an upgrade that allowed you to stop in midair and change directions?
Alternatively, and I got this idea from a thread on MDb but I can't remember the exact details, there could be a sort of 'Thrust Vector' item using the jets on Samus' back to do short midair dashes in any direction, which could then be used to gradually alter the path of the Shinespark. Also on MDb was this suit upgrade, it was called Ablative something, and it was a coating that sprays over the Varia Suit on command and hardens like a shell. It absorbs energy-based attacks or things like lava and fuel gel to power the Arm Cannon up, but it's really fragile and it breaks if you Shinespark and hit something or if you get hit by a physical attack.

Anyway, do you have plans to include other non-Super items like the Boost Ball or the Grapple upgrades?

Physix

I really do need help with this engine... I can't even explain, there's just so much that needs to be done.

QuoteAnyway, do you have plans to include other non-Super items like the Boost Ball or the Grapple upgrades?

Boost Ball is very interesting, as my engine allows for you to speed boost while in ball mode. There could be an interaction between the two, but I believe that charging up a boost ball and having it accelerate you directly to speed-booster level speed (without having to cover any distance beforehand) would be game breaking. Along with that, incorporating the boost ball upgrade would require adding in morph ball physics to go with it. After all, the funnest part of boost-balling is screwing around on slopes and gaining mad speed and air time. I'd love to play around with that idea, but my movement engine was not made with sonic-type slope physics in mind. I did not have such foresight.

And grapple upgrades? What upgrades are there? Do they change the gameplay pattern significantly enough to warrant being made into individual upgrades? I'm all for adding unique moves and upgrades, but they 1) Have to fill a role or niche, and 2) Must be significant, or at least fun as hell to use. Swinging around (imo) is fun as hell, so it has that going for it. Besides that, I don't have many original upgrades in my engine, if any at all. I'd like to expand the arsenal.

If you have ideas for upgrades (or maybe new beams?), please share them. I'll see what I can come up with.

Betatronic

Quote from: Physix
This'll be in the works for a while longer. A few priorities right here are the: gunship, dying, saving/loading/menu, the last few Samus sprites, and other details.
And if a certain few individuals are reading this, know that you'll be properly credited, even if I didn't exactly ask for your permission. If you have any problems with this, contact me.

Cool, since you bring this up, I'll just be sure to be clear about it. Please do not use any assets from *that* collection of sprites and artwork.
I cannot speak for anything that is either Public Domain (posted publicly) or given to you directly by Infinity's End that *he alone created.*
Ideally, you'll stop using those rock tiles as well. None of those things were ever distributed publicly with our permission and should not be redistributed.

That being said, for what it's worth, you've done some good work on the physics of this engine and the related spectacles through special effects and weapons. I hope you continue to improve upon this through your own efforts.

Physix

Quote from: Betatronic on April 09, 2016, 01:41:59 PM
Quote from: Physix

Cool, since you bring this up, I'll just be sure to be clear about it. Please do not use any assets from *that* collection of sprites and artwork.
I cannot speak for anything that is either Public Domain (posted publicly) or given to you directly by Infinity's End that *he alone created.*
Ideally, you'll stop using those rock tiles as well. None of those things were ever distributed publicly with our permission and should not be redistributed.

That being said, for what it's worth, you've done some good work on the physics of this engine and the related spectacles through special effects and weapons. I hope you continue to improve upon this through your own efforts.

That's alright, your sprites are gone. I do insist on keeping the plain rock tiles, though. They were made by VR many, many years ago and I'm pretty sure he's past giving a fuck about them.

Betatronic

Well, I did say 'ideally.'

I can't really stop you from using those. Thanks though.

Also, by ANY of our assets, that means my save totem, the water particles (which I made from scratch), and any menu items as well.
Really you just shouldn't use anything that you took by decompiling our work.

Physix

Quote from: Betatronic on April 09, 2016, 03:35:56 PM

Also, by ANY of our assets, that means my save totem, the water particles (which I made from scratch), and any menu items as well.
I made those water effects long before I decompiled your work. I'll remove the one splash sprite that I did use.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Physix on April 09, 2016, 05:51:36 PM

I made those water effects long before I decompiled your work. I'll remove the one splash sprite that I did use.

Why don't you him and any other person from that website handle your disputes and arguments via through pm system ?
Its sad to see your MetroidEngine go to hell because over some petty nonsense like this.
Something that keeps bugging me though, is it that critical for them to not have you use their sprites images ?
If you got permission to and you're not claming their work as yours I see no reason for them to be pissed off.
Last thing keep working on the engine of zero one what he saw, people will aid you off and on if you persist to make it work.

Good luck.

FPzero

It's because of what I said in the General thread. It's important to the makers of these assets.

Quote from: FPzero on April 09, 2016, 11:07:40 AM
Because it's a matter of respect and privacy. Even if the project is dead, unless the artist goes out of their way to allow the use of assets from that abandoned project you should respect their wishes not to have the assets included in anything. Even if you're drawing your interpretation of someone else's property, it's still your artwork and you can choose whether or not people use it.

Not that this matters anyway because it sounds like Physix is removing it without any further complication.

I like Physix's engine as much as the rest of the people here but just because I like it doesn't mean that we should get mad about other people asking him not to use their resources. Regardless, this isn't our argument or discussion to have so I'm not going to address it further.

Physix

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on April 09, 2016, 06:04:16 PM
Quote from: Physix on April 09, 2016, 05:51:36 PM

Why don't you him and any other person from that website handle your disputes and arguments via through pm system ?
Its sad to see your MetroidEngine go to hell because over some petty nonsense like this.
Something that keeps bugging me though, is it that critical for them to not have you use their sprites images ?
If you got permission to and you're not claming their work as yours I see no reason for them to be pissed off.
Last thing keep working on the engine of zero one what he saw, people will aid you off and on if you persist to make it work.

Good luck.
He has his reasons to be mad. This thread's purpose is to discuss my engine and any drama surrounding it. I have my own game ideas now, and I'll act upon them. My inability to use his sprites is a detriment for sure, but there's no point in crying about it. Getting a team together is my next step. I have high standards but low expectation in that regard. Finding dedicated team members who will work without pay is an arduous task. Just know that I want this to happen. I wouldn't have bothered with this engine if I wasn't serious.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Physix'
I have high standards but low expectation in that regard. Finding dedicated team members who will work without pay is an arduous task. Just know that I want this to happen. I wouldn't have bothered with this engine if I wasn't serious.

Honestly I don't think anyone will help you unless they gain some sort of benefit from it.
Besides it is you're project to begin with and no one else will have any rights to your resources or what not.
Keep making more headway, starting with level designs, the graphics look good enough.
Someone will ask you to pay them so thats unavoidable, if you're good dealer and know how to keep your word.
You may find someone willing to help you directly one on one and let any future project team members do the other dirty work.

I like to see your project be fully completed before AM2R nears its finally completion.
@FP No one is getting mad at them, I however see a dispute that could have been avoided publicly and handled privately.
No need to have your personal business out in the middle of the street unless you like problems and drama. :/

Betatronic

I must disagree about people not working for free.

If he has a solid enough concept to present to people, it's very possible they'll be willing to join him in his efforts.

Though he should definitely get his ducks in order and have a plan for the game before that. What he's done so far is a good start.

Zero One

I for one would be quite inclined to assist in this, given that there's actually an engine behind it. There's a few posts on this forum about people seeking teams for a project with very little to show for it. So far, Physix is the only one I've seen to actually produce something that meets my criteria as a project that could actually be completed. Also, that small snippet of code I saw makes me want to cry and fix it, but that's besides the point. And people who ask for payment to work on it clearly have no understanding of the concept of copyright, given that this project could not be monetised at all.

As for discussions on assets, I think it would be better for that discussion to remain in the thread as opposed to PMs, for the sake of transparency. This community does frown upon assets that have been stolen or used without permission and, while I'm satisfied that Physix will remove them from the engine if prompted, the moderation team will also be happy to remove posts on this forum should they contain assets whose owners have requested not be used, provided there's enough evidence to suggest that it is actually the author of those assets asking for their removal.

Physix

Quote from: Zero One on April 10, 2016, 09:48:54 AM
I for one would be quite inclined to assist in this, given that there's actually an engine behind it. There's a few posts on this forum about people seeking teams for a project with very little to show for it. So far, Physix is the only one I've seen to actually produce something that meets my criteria as a project that could actually be completed. Also, that small snippet of code I saw makes me want to cry and fix it, but that's besides the point. And people who ask for payment to work on it clearly have no understanding of the concept of copyright, given that this project could not be monetised at all.

As for discussions on assets, I think it would be better for that discussion to remain in the thread as opposed to PMs, for the sake of transparency. This community does frown upon assets that have been stolen or used without permission and, while I'm satisfied that Physix will remove them from the engine if prompted, the moderation team will also be happy to remove posts on this forum should they contain assets whose owners have requested not be used, provided there's enough evidence to suggest that it is actually the author of those assets asking for their removal.

Me? Dirty code?!?!? Which piece of code are we talking about?

Anyway, most of the base engine is done. Saving and loading (at least in terms of file management) is done. The death sequence and finishing the main menu are my next priority.
I'm glad you're willing to help me. I need all the help I could get. I figured my game will be a mix of Prime and SM, featuring Prime's attention to detail and story-telling elements, mixed in with SM-style gameplay.

For the sake of creative freedom, I'll be ditching SR388 completely. With that in mind, I'll actually need somebody to be creative. It takes a special kind of talent to conceive of something absolutely insane (You are an orphaned human/bird hybrid fighting giant space dragons and space lobsters in space) and to give it depth and character; to make a truly immersive world with its own rules and predicaments. As 'skilled' a programmer as I am, I'm no designer. Shit, getting ahead of myself. I'm not even supposed to be thinking about the story yet. I'll finish that damn menu eventually.

MollyAncalime

I hate to change the subject from the asset drama, but regarding grapple upgrades, there could be a lot done with the Grapple Lasso mechanic from Prime 3 in a 2D format. For example, the arrow keys could be used to change the position of whatever enemy or object she grabs as long as the Grapple button is held, and once she lets go it falls to the ground (unless it's something like a Ripper and it just hovers). Think moving things around with a Half-Life Gravity Gun but in 2D. This would allow her to press switches or stack boxes to make platforms.

There could also be a sticky Grapple that can attach to any surface, not just Grapple points, but that could be horribly broken.

Another good idea for the Grapple could be like a zipline, where if you double-tap the Grapple key, Samus zips down to whatever she attached to. This could be used to quickly get to the other side of a closing gate that would normally shut before Samus can pass.

As far as unique beams go, there could always be something like the Judicator from Hunters that bounces off walls. A forceful beam that ends in a shockwave that launches enemies backwards. A solar beam reminiscent of the prime Plasma (since 2D plasma is different) and Light Beams, igniting enemies and certain objects aflame. As far as stacking, the bouncing+Wave could split when it hits a wall, part of it continuing and the other part ricochets back. Ice+solar would either create blue fire or just produce a lot of steam. It'd force the player to be strategic in which Beams they turn on in which situations.

I'm full of ideas (I could post more if you'd like) and I can sprite, but sadly I know little of coding and wouldn't be much help there. I could also assist with SFX.

FPzero

A quick question, Physix: I'm assuming that since this project is called MEngine, one of its goals is to serve as a base engine for anyone else to use when making their own games, correct? I've been watching you import a bunch of fancy graphics and the like but I can't help but be curious if there's a "basic" tileset that you'll be including should others not want to use the fancy graphics you've been importing and showing off. The whole range of Super Metroid tiles seems like a perfect candidate for a basic set and I'm pretty sure your earlier videos showed them in use in the engine. I imagine people could import the basic SM tilesets if they really wanted them but I have a feeling a lot of people would like to have it available in the base engine. Are you planning to have a basic graphics set or are you focusing more on adding extra graphics?

Physix

Quote from: FPzero on April 11, 2016, 11:41:22 AM
A quick question, Physix: I'm assuming that since this project is called MEngine, one of its goals is to serve as a base engine for anyone else to use when making their own games, correct? I've been watching you import a bunch of fancy graphics and the like but I can't help but be curious if there's a "basic" tileset that you'll be including should others not want to use the fancy graphics you've been importing and showing off. The whole range of Super Metroid tiles seems like a perfect candidate for a basic set and I'm pretty sure your earlier videos showed them in use in the engine. I imagine people could import the basic SM tilesets if they really wanted them but I have a feeling a lot of people would like to have it available in the base engine. Are you planning to have a basic graphics set or are you focusing more on adding extra graphics?
I'll worry about base tilesets when i'll have base tilesets to show. Most of the SM tilesets online don't have flipped tiles, and GM can't flip them in the room editor. It makes so many tilesets incompatible with my game. ..