News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2014 - Archives

Started by Quote58, April 19, 2012, 09:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vismund Cygnus

Oh, but Jifferino, how your room would improve if you just change the palette on the door pipes to better match the rest if the room.
Anyways, I voted for cloud, mostly because neither room stood out particularly to me, but I can't really pick any faults in cloudy's.

Jiffy

Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on November 26, 2014, 09:42:23 PM
Oh, but Jifferino, how your room would improve if you just change the palette on the door pipes to better match the rest if the room.
Anyways, I voted for cloud, mostly because neither room stood out particularly to me, but I can't really pick any faults in cloudy's.
Youust don't like me  :sad:
e; Youust. I just invented a new worst. Youust invented a new word! \o/

Jiffy

So I wanted to make a Brinstar Room. While doing so, I challenged Jamie to make one too:

[spoiler=Don't Look In Here!][/spoiler]
I am very proud of this.

Jordan5

Jiffy that's a great room, just fix the few missing filler tiles in the bottom-right before anyone else sees :lol: That's what i always have the brightness up in SMILE, then you can usually tell things like that.

Jiffy

Quote from: Jordan5 on November 30, 2014, 07:02:17 AM
Jiffy that's a great room, just fix the few missing filler tiles in the bottom-right before anyone else sees :lol: That's what i always have the brightness up in SMILE, then you can usually tell things like that.

Damnit you! Good spot though.

DSO

I might as well break out the old GFX experiment.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

JamieWebb16

[spoiler=For jefe's green brinstar challenge][/spoiler]

Jiffy

Quote from: JamieWebb16 on November 30, 2014, 02:19:01 PM

:whoa:

I love it so much, but there are black spots on the filler I kinda dislike.

Quietus

Quote from: JamieWebb16 on November 30, 2014, 02:19:01 PM
In a slight break from character - Holy frickin' jizzballs. :wub:

Retroo

what i dont like about jefes room is the over tiles that you walk on is stacked on each other on and on agian =/

JamieWebb16s room is awesome as always

RealRed

Quietus

Nice.  There are some seriously sexy rooms this week.  I like how the dachora egg makes the eye of a creepy face with a gaping mouth. :^_^:

Retroo

will be hard to vote this week! good job!

Alisa Orlova

[spoiler=My table][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Tiny nuances]
Hi, "JamieWebb16" i have a few words about your work. :blush:

•   I think that the blocks with faces just out of place. Metroid it's a serious game, so, in my opinion "funky things" it's a bad idea.
•   I don't like the area around the right door. Too many different types of gray masonry. Blocks with rounded edge, rectangular bricks, rails, pipes and standard square blocks. Clutter of tile. [spoiler][/spoiler]
•   I don't like Torizo color. It's a statue, it should be grey. And I don't like the color of the glare. Pink. Really?
•   I don't like the repetition of the tiles in the lower corridor. I understand what you tried to avoid straight vertical lines between the blocks, but this is no reason to "copy/past and one click on the right". (Ladder style) [spoiler][/spoiler]
•   Brown bricks have two types of edges, darker and lighter. You should combine these bricks from darker side, otherwise you'll lose volume. In the green circles - how it should be, in the red, how it shouldn't. [spoiler][/spoiler]

Not too obvious difference, but it is. The devil is in the details!       
I turned a few tiles in Photoshop, just for example.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

I hope it's useful.
P.s. I almost agree with the title of the picture. Power of cocaine!!!  :<_<:[/spoiler]

Grimlock

Yes, it's that time again, time to Grimulize some room of the week submitions.....

EDIT: Fixed a couple things..  :wink:

Jefe: 
His most valued positions as recently confessed on IRC
[spoiler]

And you didn't think I was going to do it:   :grin:

[/spoiler]

DSO:
Sometimes words are not required....
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Jamie Webb:
So good.....
[spoiler]
THIS HOT CHICK TATTOOED IT ON HER LEG!!!

[/spoiler]

Bloody Sonic:
Green = Slime
Slime = .......
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

So anyway, you all know BOB from last week.  Well, he's been doing such a great job I haven't received a single complaint!  With all of this free time on BOBs hands we've decided to expand services!

BOB:

Grimlock Arts
Public Relations
(Complaint department)
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Grimlock Arts
Wedding Ceremonial Services:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Grimlock Arts
Maternity Services:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Grimlock Arts
Substitute Teacher Services: (EDIT)
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Grimlock Arts
Mall Santa Gig:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

On an entirely unrelated note..... (EDIT)

[spoiler]

GOONIES???

[/spoiler]

Lunaria

User:Time spent making tables in paint rather than using the built in table feature:Has this much of an reality grip in regards to graphical "errors":IGNs rating:
AlisaWay too fucking much010/10

Oh and, stop rotating the text while you're at it.

SlyPork

I agree with Crys, Alisa went a bit overboard.

But I do agree with her, she pointed out just some of the small details that I noticed too.

I personally think it's an awesome looking room. The green filler tiles and much of the other tiles seem a little blocky and less blended together than they could be, though. I disagree with Alisa about the faces. Since your room seems to have connection to some sort of old stone ruins, I think they fit nicely. And if it is ruins, maybe some broken pieces of stone would be nice to add. Other than that, the room is very well done and all the transitions between areas are clean and crisp  :^_^:

MetroidMst

Quote from: Crys on December 01, 2014, 01:47:53 PM
Has this much of an reality grip in regards to graphical "errors"
If she considers those graphical errors, that is her prerogative. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it is incorrect from how her room building is dictated.

Lunaria

Perhaps, but graphical errors of worse nature are in highly praised commercial titles, to me it just seems to be nitpicking about tile choice for the sake of nitpicking. The reality is that the wast majority of players won't notice nor care.

Quietus

I liked both Bloodsonic and Jefe's rooms.  They're both very nice Brinstar rooms, with just enough changes from vanilla usage to stand out.  However, JamieWebb's room is just visual lovin' - some seriously lovely eye candy.  It's the sort of room that makes me feel that if I were playing the hack, I'd actually stop and take the time to actually just stand around gawping at stuff.  Great work, JamieWebb. :cheers:

MetroidMst

THE DREGS OF HUMANITY DECIDED TO TRY TO TALENT FOR ONCE? It really is too bad you all suck so much the vacuum of space has become jealous.

[spoiler]
[spoiler=CondomAd]If you wanted to see prepubescent splooge, this was definitely a winner. All that pent-up WHAT DOES BONER FOR tension is at work in this work of barf. EVEN AN OCD SQUIRREL WAS REPORTED TO SAY TOO MUCH! Also, why did you make the CRE blocks look like they went on a McDonalds binge, gained a few thousand lbs, and then made them look like they're all squating over a hole trying to squeeze out the worlds heaviest turd? IF I WANTED TO SEE THAT I WOULD HAVE WENT TO WALMART. NOW I HAVE TO BURN MY EYES OUT WITH RUBBER SEALANT SO I CAN FEEL LIKE LIFE IS WORTH LIVING AGAIN[/spoiler]
[spoiler=DSBro]And here we have DSO deciding to give us a glimpse at his latest colonoscopy! You can just see all the warts and putrid stench of failure exuding from his brains usual resting spot. MAYBE IF I SUCKED AT LIFE SO MUCH I HAD TO RESORT TO BEING A DOCTOR SO I COULD SERVICE BETTER PEOPLE I WOULD APPRECIATE THIS MORE, BUT AS IT IS IT LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE OPENED A CAN OF CRAP-TASTIC AND FRIED IT UP IN SOME LIVER STEW. (Get it? Crap? IT BE THE PUN YOU SNIFFLEBLORTS! STEW OVER THAT!111! HAHAHAAHAHA) I do feel a need to point out that one of those pipe formations looks a lot like a sidehopper. . .[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Spidermandate]And here we have a resurrection of the century with a Webber returning to bring balance to the detestable garbage we have on display here. So what does he do? HE MAKES POOP AND SHOVES YOUR FACE IN IT. HE IS SUBLIMINALLY MOCKING YOU ATROCIOUS GUTSUCKERS WITH HIS ROOM! Can't you see it? First, he makes poop blocks, and then a poop Chozo, and then an item held by a poop Chozo! HE IS TELLING YOU YOUR ROOMS ARE UTTER SUCKAGE CRAP, AND THAT HE CAN MAKE CRAP AND MAKE YOU WANT IT BECAUSE IT IS PURIFIED CRAP AND NOT AS CRAPPY AS THE CRAP YOU CRAPPED OUT. One has to wonder though if he sees hope though, as all that green plant life taking hold might also be a message that if you stop being bad, you will stop being sewageslurping bunglemeisters.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Bloodflap]VIRGINITY OVER WHOREBAG, IT IS TIME TO MEET YOUR MAKER, THE OVERLORD OF BLAND AND BOOTSLOP. Actually, of all the rooms, you at least tried to do things with some extra work in highlighting "green Brinstar" with some more color. IT WAS A NICE TOUCH, BUT THEN I REALIZED I WAS TOUCHED BY A PERVY CHILD WHO SUCKS AT THE PIPE OF AWFUL LIFE DECISIONS! And unfortunately, it doesn't have much to do with the room. However, seeing a room built like that with a BG that doesn't go all the way, filler space not actually filled, and the general laziness that oozes off of that makes me twitch out salt. HOW CAN YOU LIVE WITH YOURSELF KNOWING YOU EXPOSED YOUR TRUE INNER BEING TO BE ONE THAT IS ALWAYS INCOMPLETE AND ZEKEISH? Not even sacrificing baby otters can save you now.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Well that was awful. The only end result is crap. (GET IT AGAIN? END RESULT? CRAP? FSFDFJKSLJFLFSDIFJS) Webbz is mocking you, Blood tried to skill and then became Zeke, DSO is sharing his tubes, and Jiffy is trying to refrain from boning his lovely pillow. SOMEONE SAVE ME

Smiley

Imma post somthnggh!

[spoiler=The red... tower?][/spoiler]

Quietus

I see a lot of right angle action going on.  Maybe it's the tileset? :oh:

Jiffy

After finishing Upper Ministrane, I present to you... Deep Ministrane! :D
[spoiler=#2deepministrane4u]
Here I'm using tiles from the big GFX collection, combined with Tourian tiles. I do think they work well together. This area is basically Lower Norfair, but earlier than usual. So expect Grapple, Fire and Pain.[/spoiler]
:^_^:

TheAnonymousUser

I'm struggling to make out the background (possibly because bright rocks?) I also spy some cut and paste (mainly with the tourian tiles.)