News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2014 - Archives

Started by Quote58, April 19, 2012, 09:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eris Cloud

[spoiler=Anonymous]A Very Nice Looking Norfair Room With Lovely Looking Lava. But To Me The Platforms Just End Abruptly And I Also Like The Doors.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Gohan]Why Do I Think This Looks Like Super Mario? But Apart From That I Like The Tile Set.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=I Didn't Steal Your Name]I Really Like This Because Its Nothing Too Complicated Yet It Looks Really Nice.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Jefe]More Blue Brinstar. Other Than That It Does Look Quite Nice. Why Is There One Lonley Grapple Block In The Backround ;-;[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Grimlock]A Nice Old Metroid Room Which Looks Like It Has Lots Little Volcanoes In It.[/spoiler]

[spoiler= A Winrar Is]Cloud14[/spoiler]

X-tradyte

Might I suggest that you only capitalize the letters that need to be capialized? That gets annoying to read after a while, I used to do the same thing back in 2009.. Grime helped me with that, and I stopped doing it.

Just a tip.

Also, I like that Norfair. Goodjob Anon.

SpoOkyMagician

@Anonymous: You used depth here pefectly. Clearly; "You're Winner!" :heheh:
@Gohan: Uhh... This room conflicts itself... Snow/Ice everywhere. It's pretty... random IMO. I like the tiles but, they way you use them needs work. Fifth sorry.
@Cloud: MY EYES! :whoa: ...But seriously, it does look interesting. You did excellent work with depth. This is probably my second favorite.
@Jefe: The flow of the room is absolutely perfect. If looks natural/normally to me. I have to say tried with second or third best. Their both pretty good.
@ Grimlock: Didn't you already submit this? In any case, looks good. Probably tied with second or third/forth? I don't even know at this point.

~ SpoOkyMagician

Grimlock

Quote from: SpoOkyMagician on November 11, 2014, 07:16:07 PM

@ Grimlock: Didn't you already submit this?

~ SpoOkyMagician

It's a revised version of the room:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Alisa Orlova

Hi my little marshmallows! How your mood today bros? Yeah...uh-huh... yes...uh-huh... keep it up...yup... sure... uh-huh... wow, wow, wow... hold on a second... I don't care actually. :<_<:

So...i have a room on this week!
Please read the descriptions below if you want make a useful review. Caution! Awesome grammar!

[spoiler=Room][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Descriptions]
First of all it's a BG. I remember all previous comments and I understand that the outer edge should be darker. But, if I'll make it darker, my BG will lose a part of the volume, because the main color of the background is black. (Few dark colors + few dark colors = Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo). Black color creates too much contrast between the Layer 1 and BG. Once I drew a new tile set special for BG, but its looks good only if i don't combine it with Layer 1. When I combine them both, the room starts to looks like a handful of multicolored beads or like a heroin kaleidoscope. Of course I appreciate the high art of Salvador Dali, but... as you probably know, "Fear 2032" is imminent and I'm not sure that we will be able to survive two disasters at once. So, no bright colors!

Not solid walls (Orientation in a room). Yes, I made this room and i know every pixel here and of course I have no problems with navigation, but this doesn't mean that I don't think about the players. I use scroll areas for easy orientation. Cells 02x/00y and 02x/01y is red.
00 10 20
01 11 21
You can watch the video and check out how exactly this works in game. Don't forget about "dislike" or "like".
[spoiler=Video] Lysergic casserole [/spoiler]

Too many pipes! If you are looking at the whole room, you can see all tubes at once, in the game we will not get this effect, so everything is OK. If you are still think that there a lot of pipes, please check out the original Maridia.

Gate "tube" it's not a Photoshop, i just redraw the original tile and i made it special for ROTW picture.[/spoiler]

Quietus

Quote from: Alisa Orlova on November 14, 2014, 05:15:15 AMPlease read the descriptions below if you want make a useful review.
Please stop trying to make comments toward how people should vote, comment, or review.  Everybody is free to do what they wish.  Nobody complains that you decide to create a table for your votes - that's how you chose to do it.  If others choose to write one word, one line, in-depth analyses, or gargantuan reviews - IT'S THEIR CHOICE!

Alisa Orlova

Quote from: Quietus on November 14, 2014, 06:33:43 AM
Please stop trying to make comments toward how people should vote, comment, or review.  Everybody is free to do what they wish.  Nobody complains that you decide to create a table for your votes - that's how you chose to do it.  If others choose to write one word, one line, in-depth analyses, or gargantuan reviews - IT'S THEIR CHOICE!

Looks like a serious misunderstanding. I'm just trying to save our time and make comments more practical, because there is no need to write comments about what I already know. And it's not democracy. If you want, then read, if not, not. Very strange reading "Please read the descriptions" = means "vote for me".

Jordan5

Quote from: Alisa Orlova on November 14, 2014, 07:07:34 AM
Very strange reading "Please read the descriptions" = means "vote for me".

It looks like you misunderstood, because nothing Quietus said implied that. He just meant that people can make a useful review without added room description, contrary to what you said.

Alisa Orlova

Quote from: Jordan5 on November 14, 2014, 07:14:41 AM
It looks like you misunderstood, because nothing Quietus said implied that. He just meant that people can make a useful review without added room description, contrary to what you said.
I wrote a "misunderstanding" but not a "you misunderstood", so it's a different things sir, so please don't try to make this situation more "piquant". I am sure that we understood each other and I will take note of what he wrote.

Quietus

I'm saying that it's not necessary to complicate things.  If you are entering a room in the RotW competition, then simply posy your image.  That's all you need to do.  People will then vote how they choose, and they will provide feedback in whichever way they choose.  There is no right or wrong way for somebody to do so.  If you want specific feedback on a particular aspect of your room, them please just ask. e.g. Please tell me what you think of the background and layering.

Your post made it sound like you would only consider somebody's comments to be 'useful' if they read your additional comments.

TheAnonymousUser

[spoiler=Gohan]My only concern with this room is the repetiveness of the background. Other than that, this is pretty good room.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Cloud]!Close 2nd! It was between you and Grim this week.
The layering used here is amazing. It's almost as if something could be hiding in the background.
* T-A-U gets flashbacks of the shaded woods from dark souls 2
I'm just concerned about the block of white at the top (I know this a landing site of sorts)[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Needs more yoghurt]More blue brinstar (stop confirming escape 3). The symetry of the elevator shaft just doesn't seem natural to me. Oh, and I hope that lonely grapple block will have a use ;([/spoiler]

[spoiler=Grimrock]!Voted!
I retract my statement about the lack of colour.
A lot has been changed since last time. You've stuck to one colour (that blue rock last week was a bit odd) and the room has been refined along with a few additions. I still think you should have submitted the rainbow version though.[/spoiler]

Alisa:
Your foreground is still looking pretty neat. Although I still find the outline of the background a little off-putting.

Cloud20

We want our WGA (Weekly Grimlock Artwork)  :sad:

Quietus

I have mentioned it before - the mods should just delete / edit any posts with remarks about voting.  That way we can all ignore them knowing they'll soon vanish. :^_^:

Hawntah

derp

Grimlock

Quote from: Cloud14 on November 14, 2014, 12:58:59 PM
[spoiler][/spoiler]

We want our WGA (Weekly Grimlock Artwork)  :sad:

So many entries, so many ideas, and so little time this week....  Besides I was getting a little low on pixels, I had to order a new batch in from Amazon.   :grin:

EDIT:  Nice pic, it's an accurate representation of my week!

snarfblam

Quote from: Quietus on November 14, 2014, 07:23:17 PM
I have mentioned it before - the mods should just delete / edit any posts with remarks about voting.  That way we can all ignore them knowing they'll soon vanish. :^_^:

I couldn't agree more. Especially when people keep going immediately after being asked to stop.

Jiffy

[spoiler=Passage Of Vomit][/spoiler]

Qactis

Jefe your room needs a green version of the BG to use as a fade-away on the FG green rocks

FullOfFail

Just kinda a conceptual room. Looks much better ingame.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I'll go ahead and show a ingame pic, just to give it more context. Atmosphere is always important to me.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Alisa Orlova

Why is my message and my room is not here? I was disqualified or it's just a kind of struggle with my description?
Message number 955. :stern:

Vismund Cygnus

Alisa, snarf simply archived all of the old posts, including the ones full of your shitposting. Rest assured, your room is still entered.  :^_^:

Alisa Orlova

Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on November 16, 2014, 06:58:13 AM
including the ones full of your shitposting.
You can't even imagine how much I love you.  :<_<:

Jordan5

Quote from: FullOfFail on November 16, 2014, 06:00:06 AM
Just kinda a conceptual room. Looks much better ingame.

Escape III confirmed.

In all seriousness, it looks like a nice room but i feel the darker blue tiles are just too blue. It needs a hint of something else or maybe just less blue. . .

Quietus

Jefe: Try to randomise the plants more.  You have none at all on the right-hand wall, and almost every plany that's on a bottom surface has the same orientation.  Also, if this room is pre-Hi Jump, you may wish to add some small lips for players that do not like wall-jumping so much.

FoF: I love it, though F3 is your friend. :^_^: