News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

V E R T I C A L I T Y

Started by Tundain, April 22, 2024, 05:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyutah22

Quote from: Tundain on May 16, 2024, 11:39:03 AM
Dashing whilst in morph ball form is not a vanilla feature, and only certain hacks have that as a custom feature.
Since you are unable to dash, you can safely conclude that i have not added this custom functionality in my hack.
(also I wouldn't phrase it as "disabling" a function if that function doesn't exist in the first place...)

I guess I misspoke, I meant Spring Ball. I thought it was paired with High Jump boots when I got them, since it allowed me to jump from morph ball I assumed it had the same properties as the original which allows you to dash when in morph ball. It wasn't meant as a criticism, just a question. It's a very nice and well thought out hack.

junkrares

Quote from: johnnyutah22 on May 16, 2024, 08:33:30 PM
Dashing whilst in morph ball form is not a vanilla feature, and only certain hacks have that as a custom feature.
Since you are unable to dash, you can safely conclude that i have not added this custom functionality in my hack.
(also I wouldn't phrase it as "disabling" a function if that function doesn't exist in the first place...)

I guess I misspoke, I meant Spring Ball. I thought it was paired with High Jump boots when I got them, since it allowed me to jump from morph ball I assumed it had the same properties as the original which allows you to dash when in morph ball. It wasn't meant as a criticism, just a question. It's a very nice and well thought out hack.

Yes, spring ball is paired with hi-jump boots. And no, spring ball never gave you the ability to dash with it. That only exists in certain hacks. You can "dash" with a ball in any version of Super Metroid by learning how to mockball.

johnnyutah22

Quote from: junkrares on May 17, 2024, 10:33:00 AM
Quote from: johnnyutah22 on May 16, 2024, 08:33:30 PM

Yes, spring ball is paired with hi-jump boots. And no, spring ball never gave you the ability to dash with it. That only exists in certain hacks. You can "dash" with a ball in any version of Super Metroid by learning how to mockball.

Apparently I'm an idiot. I guess I've been playing hacks so much I thought dash was native to spring ball. Thanks to you both for educating me.

Tundain

v1.3 is out!

Minor update that fixes some stuff (check changelog for details)

Due to attachment size constraints, the patch cannot be included in the main post, therefore you can find it here (or on the main site).

DonnyDonovan

Played this on 1.3 after first beating it on 1.1.  The teleporters are definitely toned down a bit and overall I don't mind them.  Some of the bosses are great.  In it's present form this is a top-tier hack.  I still think there are places where I'd call it closer to "veteran" difficulty than "vanilla" but it's not super difficult as a whole.   

hmsong

Bug Report for v1.3:

In the SE section of Brinstar, there's an area where you need the Speed Booster to reach the switch that opens the door.  But if you enter from the right, you get this:

As you can see, there's a door above.  You can even open it (but you can't enter it).  I'm pretty sure that's an error.

Tundain

Yes yes, of course someone would end up making a post about smth as tiny as this :eyeroll:.
This is the result of me misclicking when I wanted to fix a different, tiny error. I just don't think that at this point it's worth making an update just to fix 1, single, tiny issue.
If some more issues show up I might consider releasing a small patch with multiple fixes, but at this point I am mainly done with this hack

FelixWright

Quote from: Tundain on July 21, 2024, 04:55:54 AM
Yes yes, of course someone would end up making a post about smth as tiny as this :eyeroll:.
This is the result of me misclicking when I wanted to fix a different, tiny error. I just don't think that at this point it's worth making an update just to fix 1, single, tiny issue.
If some more issues show up I might consider releasing a small patch with multiple fixes, but at this point I am mainly done with this hack

do what you want, but this is pretty rude and discourages people from reporting problems they find, imho

hmsong

Quote from: Tundain on July 21, 2024, 04:55:54 AM

Fair.  Then I shall report few more errors.  One, the Overcharge doesn't come out when you fire from the spinning jump (it fires the regular charged shot, even though your life still get drained while spinning).  Two, when you do a Shinespark, but you land near the bouncing thing, the afterimage stays in that one spot (for example, do a diagonal-up-left Shinespark the first time you go into the Wrecked Ship -- the afterimage stays). Three, At the ending, the planet doesn't explode (not sure if that's intended though).

Also, this:
Quote from: bmathew on May 09, 2024, 10:03:34 PM
A bug that I found.  Maybe someone already reported, but I'll mention it anyways.  In the giant Metroid room in Tourian, when you jump down from the glass jar to the bottom, for a frame or so, you'll see the giant Metroid materialize at the bottom, then disappear.  I'm guessing it's some kind of transition problem.  Just decreasing the height of the room may solve this problem.  You may want to check that out.

OmegaDragnet9

I'm gonna jump in and say [spoiler] the planet not exploding is a feature, not a bug. (Actually deliberate coding.) [/spoiler]

altoiddealer

So I've got 1 locked door remaining and I'm missing one E-Tank.

I carefully scrutinized every map, and found that this room is the only one I have not completed, because I'm convinced its impossible.  I've attempted this room no less than 5 times with full health, but can never traverse the whole thing without the shinespark failing somewhere and getting hit for giga damage.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

If this room leads to the last gate, then I probably won't be completing this.

If this room does not lead to the last gate, then it likely means that I already visited a room with the gate but it could not be triggered due to missing the required item.
If so, then this is pretty shitty as it means I must check every gate room I already visited.  Otherwise... there's no clue on the map at all...

RT-55J

The reward for that shinespark puzzle is a missile tank.

Take a picture of the gate room in Tourian and maybe we can help you there (the gates in there should correspond to the 2 switches in each area, starting from the bottom).

altoiddealer

Quote from: RT-55J on August 04, 2024, 10:22:35 PM
The reward for that shinespark puzzle is a missile tank.

Take a picture of the gate room in Tourian and maybe we can help you there (the gates in there should correspond to the 2 switches in each area, starting from the bottom).
Thanks for the comment - if there's something more to that "puzzle" beyond spark and pray, I'd love to know what the strategy is.
That room caused me a lot of grief the first time I encountered it, because I went a long time without finding s save station, then the room seals you in if you shoot the floor (which I did), so it was very frustrating having to attempt mirroring through the room unsuccessfully until death, with a big setback...

By looking at the gate I could see I was missing one in Wrecked Ship.

This is the one I was missing:

[spoiler]
Apparently what happened, is I visited this room earlier and jumped up, revealing all the map tiles, but I did not have ice / space jump.

So later on it looked like I already collected all gates here, but did not get this one.

[/spoiler]

Finished in 5:33 with 88.8% items.  I feel like I spent longer than 5:33... the game is trying to make me feel better  :bounce:

This was a very good hack, except the frustations of that shinespark room.

I did not mind the teleport blocks much, it was an interesting mechanic.  Being able to hover while morphed made it much more manageable.

The new bosses were very interesting to say the least.

Bomb Torizo ftw.

Tundain

Glad you enjoyed it overall!

As for that puzzle, that's definitely been a problem for many players.

I don't know exactly what your strategy was there, but:
[spoiler]The respawning bomb blocks are a hint that you shouldn't jump before initiating the shinespark (since shinesparking in midair will result in your x/y speeds not being set in a helpful way). This means you should shinespark while standing on the treadmill. the problem there is that people don't always necessarily uncrouch after running, and shinesparking while crouched on the treadmill also doesn't set your x/y speeds in a good way. SO to conclude, you should initiate the spark while standing, whilst on the treadmil [/spoiler]
The point of that puzzle is that the player should try to initiate the shinespark in all different ways possible until they find the correct one, but the situation always ended up being the players trying over and over again in the same way, which if it didn't work the first time, wouldn't work all other times (but I don't think i've seen someone realize that).

altoiddealer

Quote from: Tundain on August 06, 2024, 05:41:04 AM

About that...

[spoiler]
I've played a lot of hacks, even some very tough ones.  It's just never been required to do a "non-jumping" shinespark that was anywhere besides straight up.

Now about the downward ones, there were very obvious clues about that, but this one doesn't really have any clues.  My impression was "the developer didn't test this room well enough" (clearly you did based on your comments).

The only clue being "it doesn't work" isn't effective here because of how close it is to actually working.  No one is ever going to consider "Oh, maybe the X/Y speeds are slightly different if initiated from a standing position instead of from mid-air".

I recommend making this a fun, easy room traversable from standing or midair - or come up with a more effective hint like perhaps make it very difficult to even attempt it jumping?  Like, make the spark walls a diagonal all the way down to head level?
[/spoiler]

Zhs2

That's one way to water down a room that's just built in such a way that it literally requires pixel perfect positioning to bounce off all of the reflecs properly. I definitely had to load from a state several times until it worked and I'm pretty sure I tried many positions until I found the right start (coincidentally, I'm pretty sure I hit the sweet spot somewhere in midair.)

Tundain

Because of boredom, I decided to fix a few minor issues.
Read the changelog to find out
(it's not called V1.4 because it's too small to be considered a serious update)

altoiddealer

So the changelog is in the .zip file in OP.

And the patch is not in the zip file  :bounce:

-Fixed overcharge not getting fired when shooting while spinjumping
-Fixed doorcap spawning in lower brinstar morph tunnel
-Increased Big robot health

Tundain

Ye, as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts in this thread, that's due to size limits.
I can't include the patch in the main post since it would go over the size limit one can have per individual forum post, so this is the way.