News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

SMME - Super Metroid Music Editor

Started by Scottrick, May 13, 2023, 06:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scottrick

For the past couple of years, I've been working on a music editor for SM. It still has a ways to go, with a handful of missing major features, and several minor known bugs. However, I've poured so much work into it over so much time, and I wanted to release what I have so far.

Looks like I can't link it yet since this is my first post, so if I see that anyone's interested, I'll follow up with the download link.

Screenshots:

P.JBoy

Oh snap son, this looks pretty good. What kinds of files does this tool deal in, does it edit the ROM directly, or does it spit out NSPC, or some kind of raw or custom data format? Open source? Definitely follow up with a download link :D :D

Scottrick

You create project files that are built from importing data from a base vanilla (or non-vanilla) ROM. Projects can be exported to a new ROM file or an IPS file, and individual songs can be exported to an SPC file. For custom samples, it is able to import either WAV or BRR.

Download Link - https://github.com/MethylScottrick/SMME-Binaries/releases/download/v0.1.141/SmmeSetup-0.1.141.msi

Feedback is welcome, but *please* keep in mind that this is a WIP. If something is glaringly absent, I'm probably still working on it.

As for being open source, my intention is to make the source available once it gets some traction. Aside from being an enjoyable project, my main motivation is just for the credit, so if and when it gets a bit established, I think I will make it open source. Though I'm sure many will be disappointed that it's written in VB.

Oh, and by the way, PJ. There is absolutely no way I could've done this without all the work you've done, so thanks! :D

nodever2

Woah, nice!! This is something we've been dreaming about having for years. I'm really thankful you've made this, I'll have to check it out!

Tundain

This looks really cool! I'm very glad someone went ahead and made this. I bet (and hope) it will increase the appearance of custom music in hacks. You're doing a huge favor to the community be making a dedicated editor for SM

Scottrick

I have a discord up for anyone having any issues, questions, comments, etc. - https://discord.gg/Sk5Kun8ypr

Moehr

Woah, nice work! It will be cool to have a bespoke solution alongside the openMPT route, since it's specific to SM!

H A M

I CAN EASILY PUT BARF KRAID REGARDLESS OF MUSIC!

Moehr

I'm curious how hard it would be to make an M2 version with the sound engine bank available as decompiled source. An M2 music editor might get a lot of use real soon

MarioFanGamer

Oh, wow!  :whoa:
I haven't attempted to create Super Metroid music since I haven't found any use of it yet but this nonetheless is a good tool I should try out in the future.

Quote from: Scottrick on May 13, 2023, 06:59:05 AM
You create project files that are built from importing data from a base vanilla (or non-vanilla) ROM. Projects can be exported to a new ROM file or an IPS file, and individual songs can be exported to an SPC file. For custom samples, it is able to import either WAV or BRR.
For any music creation tool, the ability to create SPC files on their own is a must so that's a huge bonus (I remember the early days of SMW custom music which didn't allow for this).

Quote from: Scottrick on May 13, 2023, 06:59:05 AMAs for being open source, my intention is to make the source available once it gets some traction. Aside from being an enjoyable project, my main motivation is just for the credit, so if and when it gets a bit established, I think I will make it open source. Though I'm sure many will be disappointed that it's written in VB.
Yeah, that's a disappointment.  :<_<:

Moehr

I believe Smile RF is written in VB, so you are in good company :D

Wonder if it would be possible to have an integrated version, since RF can repoint data now

H A M

setting an instrument's major to 7 and minor to 168 and play it makes it play like the piano visualization in smme

Scottrick

I just released v0.1.131 which now has playback!
I've also submitted it to the main site, so people can find it easier.
Here's a short demo of the playback:
https://youtu.be/IuS24qwP2ho

H A M

Quote from: H A M on May 25, 2023, 10:22:31 PM
setting an instrument's major to 7 and minor to 168 and play it makes it play like the piano visualization in smme
AKA base note is C3

Scottrick

I'm looking for some insight from an outside perspective. When I started this project, I didn't necessarily expect it to be super popular, but I also didn't expect it to be nearly as unpopular as it is. I'm not complaining; I apologize if it sounds that way. I'm just trying to figure out what I need to do to make SMME a valuable addition to the community, if that's even in the cards. I can think of many possible reasons why it's not gaining traction, but I really have no idea which of those reasons, if any, is the culprit. Of the following, what do you guys think the issue with SMME is?

- Nobody really knows about it
- Nobody really cares about it
- It's not that good or useful
- It's too buggy
- It's too unintuitive or hard to use
- It's okay, but mITroid is much better
- People aren't making as many SM ROM hacks these days
- (some other reason)

Again, I'm just looking for some insight. I've really enjoyed working on SMME and I hope to continue, but if there is really no need or desire for it, I'm not sure it makes sense to keep at it. Any and all thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Onnyks

I'm definitely eager to look into SMMM, but I don't know anything about the music side of SM hacking so far and I'm not at the point where I want to dive in. For what it's worth, 2023 was a very slow year for SM hacks in general, so I think any lack of interest in your tool might be coinciding with the low activity overall.

OmegaDragnet9

OP:
[spoiler]
Quote from: Scottrick on November 05, 2023, 12:41:42 AM
I'm looking for some insight from an outside perspective. When I started this project, I didn't necessarily expect it to be super popular, but I also didn't expect it to be nearly as unpopular as it is. I'm not complaining; I apologize if it sounds that way. I'm just trying to figure out what I need to do to make SMME a valuable addition to the community, if that's even in the cards. I can think of many possible reasons why it's not gaining traction, but I really have no idea which of those reasons, if any, is the culprit. Of the following, what do you guys think the issue with SMME is?

- Nobody really knows about it
- Nobody really cares about it
- It's not that good or useful
- It's too buggy
- It's too unintuitive or hard to use
- It's okay, but mITroid is much better
- People aren't making as many SM ROM hacks these days
- (some other reason)

Again, I'm just looking for some insight. I've really enjoyed working on SMME and I hope to continue, but if there is really no need or desire for it, I'm not sure it makes sense to keep at it. Any and all thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

[/spoiler]

Reply:

I am actually very interested to see this project continued. I tend to wait a while into a development cycle before I jump in  to new software (mainly because of compatability issues that can arise between significant revisions.)

While I play music in real life, it's still a huge blind spot for me in ROM hacking. It's definitely on the agenda to learn, I just haven't buckled down and given the time commitment it deserves. (For the time being I've found enough community-made tracks to satisfy my project needs and I'm trying to work through other learning hurdles that are graphic-oriented.)

I would really like to see you continue this project. Any time somebody adds to the music side, the entire community is enriched, even if it's only a few folks directly using it.

You never know the seeds you are planting.

Tundain

I definitely believe this has potential! i still think it's pretty cool you're making this.
I checked out this tool some time ago, and it looks really interesting, but currently, i think the biggest factor is maybe the lack of an actual guide, i think that would definitely motivate me to use it