News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Ascent

Started by benox50, May 26, 2019, 11:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benox50

A new large exploration full hack for MetConst  :cool:
For Unheadered ROM !

Pictures:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Mission:
[spoiler]Samus must exterminate a specie of dangerous dark parasites, clean the planet from bottom to top and reach the extraction point !
A whole new colorful alien world is waiting for her ![/spoiler]

Info:
[spoiler]Ascent is a full hack of super metroid.
More super metroid with same gameplay but whole new level design, new visuals and even some new mechanics. It has approximately the same amount of rooms as original game and the difficulty is harder than original but not too much. The hack gameplay focus on puzzles, exploration and challenges. The focus on puzzles is stronger than most hacks. However there is multiple ways to advance or solve a problem. This is my first real attempt at hacking, there could be some weird moments of me trying stuff :D, but nothing will be out of place assets or ideas. Metroid for me is a huge alien underground isolated maze and this is what it will be about.

The main idea of this hack is like 3 small hacks put into one with a connected progression and world. So its more levels based. (3 zones)
Start at the abyss of the planet and ascend your way up to the surface.
Read the "README.txt" for more important info before starting ![/spoiler]

Have Fun !

Latest version: Ascent  v1.12

Link :
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/556201860415881257/592877330779865118/SM_Ascent_1.12.zip

UDtheAesir

Sick! Can't wait to play the finished version!

mccad

Damn, thats a nice picture.  :cool:

Munchy

I'm liking this so far. mood is good, nice environments, nice instrument swaps/remixes. Really good job!

Not sure about your morph bomb jump timing.  Is it supposed to cap at 5? Also, doesn't seem to trigger with mid-air morph ball jump.  I'm hitting it bang on and getting no jump out of it  :pwuh:

benox50

[spoiler]Yea it caps at 7 for the bomb jumping, its a decision I took because of other items and now the level design is all around that limit[/spoiler]

Will add all that info in an updated readme + the new items stuff too

Munchy

Quote from: benox50 on May 26, 2019, 08:33:24 PM
[spoiler]Yea it caps at 7 for the bomb jumping, its a decision I took because of other items and now the level design is all around that limit[/spoiler]

Will add all that info in an updated readme + the new items stuff too

Yeah I think i see why. It's a really interesting hack! :)

[spoiler]End of first section with the bomb was cool, nice use of that mosaic effect on the gas/electric clouds(?)[/spoiler]

RedPhzzon

Finally! A new Super Metroid Hack I can sink my teeth into! So far from what I've been playing; this is fantastic! I'll give my final thoughts After I beat the game, but this is starting to become a favorite!

Munchy

Well I can see this becoming a fan favourite :grin: lots of really good moments. Lots of stuff that really pushes the Super Metroid medium!  awesome stuff!

Borderjumper67

Loving this so far. Been playing all day yesterday and mostly likely will today. :lol:

Scooterboot9697

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Pretty solid hack. 10/10 would Ascend again.

Hackmi

have heard lots of good news about this hack so will play it soon, am hyped :)

DonnyDonovan

I just finished the first major area.  Very impressed thus far.

MetroidMst

This is the best hack out there.

[spoiler]This hack is based largely on exploration. It seems like it was pretty linear, but with a lot of room for individual interpretation of how you go about the linearity. It's very much an exploration based hack, with some nice challenge thrown in. Also some very interesting puzzles in it. If I had one complaint, it's the enemies seemed to be a little too spongy until you get the very last beam. Otherwise, this hack has everything. Even storytelling through gameplay![/spoiler]

RedPhzzon

Just finished the Hack. Yeah; I think it goes without say that this was another fantastic Hack! Everything about this from start to finish was just a massive joy! My main complaint however is that sometimes it can get a bit confusing with where to go; but I guess that's the point of it being an Exploration heavy hack.

Actually, if I may be so bold; I feel as though this hack did the Exploration asthetic far better than Metroid Lost World (Sorry Trom. I still love your hack; but you have to admit it gets very frustrating during the mid poiint).

All and all; gripe aside, yeah this is definetly a 10/10 for me. If its possible to 100% this hack; I'm definetly going to do play it again to get that completion. Great work!

DonnyDonovan

Hint as to where/how to get speed booster?  I'm sure it's in the 2nd area somewhere.  There's one puzzle I haven't been able to figure out how to solve so hopefully that's not it, but I have a feeling it might be.

benox50

[spoiler]Actually think about going way back down or exploring the whole warping center[/spoiler]

DonnyDonovan

Thanks!  Forgot about that option.  It's all good now.

Syphon

This hack is a masterpiece. I can't believe this is your first real attempt at hacking. Super impressive stuff and features I have never seen before in a Metroid hack. Like MetroidMst said, this hack has everything. Thank you very much for this!

Steel Sparkle

Really cool hack so far! Excellent job!

piush

This is a fun hack. Is it possible to get 100%? I know you can't go back to an area per se. Would be nice with your new upgrades.  When you get around to it could you explain more about the controls? I can fly around with the speed boost which makes the puzzles fun but are there more things you can do with it. Just an example. Just about to take on the boss in area 2. Anyway thanks for this awesome hack.

Cloud20

Hi Benox,

You hack is really good so far and I'm really enjoying it.  :^_^:

EDIT : Don't worry about the game breaking issue, it seems that I patched the hack wrongly and used the wrong rom, so my bad, sorry about that.

Steel Sparkle

Not sure what is it im supposed to do in here.. Like what item is supposed to be here.

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

Digital_Mantra

Quote from: Steel Sparkle on May 28, 2019, 08:29:09 PM
Not sure what is it im supposed to do in here.. Like what item is supposed to be here.

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

[spoiler]that is an enemy destroy block[/spoiler]

[spoiler]also your emu filter is gay and you should feel bad playing with it. [/spoiler]

Steel Sparkle

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on May 28, 2019, 08:32:30 PM
Quote from: Steel Sparkle on May 28, 2019, 08:29:09 PM

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

[spoiler]that is an enemy destroy block[/spoiler]

[spoiler]also your emu filter is gay and you should feel bad playing with it. [/spoiler]

The help is appreciated but the insult wasn't necessary.

Munchy

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on May 28, 2019, 08:32:30 PM
also your emu filter is gay and you should feel bad playing with it.

Grow up. Not cool at all.