News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

General Hack Ideas

Started by DSO, May 20, 2009, 08:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H A M

recreate the mobile game named "smash hit" in super metroid

TobiMikami

Anyone got any ideas for any objects/items/enemies/effects etc they'd like to see in a 2D Metroid? I'm literally running out of stuff to implement as my range of knowledge has grown, I've gotten into some advanced math stuff, trigonometry, enemies and objects that float, oscillate, move in a wave like pattern (wavers, sidehoppers) and objects that move in a circle. Currently working on boost ball physics and some grapple beam improvements. But I'm implementing a lot of SM/ZM/Fusion enemies into my Prime Engine for the hell of it and because I have sprites for them. Throw me an idea and if necessary the sprites to do so, and I'll make it happen. Sorry I can't write ASM programs that are more "useful" so all I can do is program it into the all mighty world of Tallon IV.

FelixWright

That's what this thread is for  :wink:

I like what you're doing with empyre2d and mean no disrespect but it's a little irritating to see most of your posts being self-gratification of / plugs to your empyre2d project when forums have signatures. Why not 🔗Link to it? Then you wouldn't need to do this.

It's not that nobody is noticing what you're doing, it's just a hard sell to talk about fangames in a community whose primary interest is in rom hacks.

I'm thinking maybe staff could entertain the idea of adding a fangames board to these forums, or as a spinoff forum like SparkConst and ZeldaConst, taking legalese into account obviously.

TobiMikami

Quote from: FelixWright on April 09, 2023, 09:08:55 AM
That's what this thread is for  :wink:

I like what you're doing with empyre2d and mean no disrespect but it's a little irritating to see most of your posts being self-gratification of / plugs to your empyre2d project when forums have signatures. Why not 🔗Link to it? Then you wouldn't need to do this.

It's not that nobody is noticing what you're doing, it's just a hard sell to talk about fangames in a community whose primary interest is in rom hacks.
Well it seems like there's more players active around here than actual hackers and developers anyways, and because we've had literally 2 whole "full" Metroid fan games with AM2R and Metroid Planets, and a very nice but considerably short demo for Prime 2D that I really wish they themselves would have held off on releasing, it's hard to necessarily have a following for something when it's exceptionally rare for it to be developed. Unfortunately, this forum isn't have as active, so my sincerest apologies for trying to thump a bit of life back in here, knowing we have a lot of people who have zero intentions of ever making a hack, they just wanna play the games.

I have plenty of places that I share a lot more of the best updates of the game with anyways, but the problem is, they're all players too, and players who 50% or more don't even know what a ROM hack is, they ask what AM2R is, they don't even know this realm exists yet. So to them, EVERYTHING is impressive. I don't really need to gratify myself, I can get plenty of that. Now of course I'm proud of what I've done, and let's be fair, wouldn't anybody? I'm not trying to be an ass about it, but really don't we all have a right to be proud of our works? I'm simply trying to relate to the actual players of the game and say "What do you want in one of these games that maybe you can't do, or.is literally impossible IN a ROM hack." That's all really, I'd hate to think that would be misconstrued but really, that's the deal.

Now, I will also say THANK YOU, for stating your thoughts, so that we could have this reasonable discussion, and as I've always told people, if you don't express your feelings about something, how does it change? How do you know that the other person may not even realize they're bothering you? You don't. So again, if I come off in any way as arrogant, well I really don't try to be, am I proud of what I've done, hell yes, absolutely man I give you that, but it's not like I'm tryina be a jerk here or something.

latinking

I'm curious to know if extending the hit box of enemies is at all possible when hacking into Zero Mission? Over the years of seeing ZM rom hacks, I'm genuinely surprised no one has attempted to remove the broken cheese strat on Ridley by simply covering his feet with a hitbox. I'd like to give this a try myself as an experiment once I find the right time.

caauyjdp

But why would you do that? :shrug:
It seems relatively easy to do since it doesn't change hitbox after init. Editing value at 3230a from 80 to C0 would give it an extra tile(0x80+0x10*4=0xC0) downwards.
[spoiler=hitbox]
vanilla
Lets see how long discord
modified
will take to break these[/spoiler]
Thanks to yohann and JumZhu.Diwa

latinking

Quote from: caauyjdp on December 26, 2023, 04:36:06 AM
But why would you do that? :shrug:
It seems relatively easy to do since it doesn't change hitbox after init. Editing value at 3230a from 80 to C0 would give it an extra tile(0x80+0x10*4=0xC0) downwards.
[spoiler=hitbox]
vanilla
Lets see how long discord
modified
will take to break these[/spoiler]
Thanks to yohann and JumZhu.Diwa

I'm hoping the extended hitbox will make it harder to abuse the trick seen in this video: https://www.metroid2002.com/0/boss_tricks_ridley.php

The change will encourage the use of Morph Ball to roll under Ridley's swoops instead of merely walking under him, requiring somewhat fast button presses from the player to unmorph, shoot and remorph to dodge the next swoop. Staying low to the ground will increase the chances of Ridley doing his stomp, an attack that is rarely seen in vanilla ZM due to players having little reason to crouch or morph.

But an extended hitbox alone won't be enough to achieve a challenging fight. I've seen some hacks raise the difficulty by increasing Ridley's HP and his attack damage, other hacks have reduced his anger threshold (triggering his tail attacks more frequently), while a hack I read about recently removed health drops altogether from the battle. I'm hoping to find a balance with some (if not all) of the above + the extended hitbox to get an appropriate result.

Here's hoping 2024 will be the year I find the time to learn and get started with ZM hacking in general.