News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Winter Hacking Contest! (2017)

Started by DSO, January 27, 2017, 04:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSO

Winter Hacking Contest!
It's finally here! Now that AGDQ is over and Rogue Dawn has been out for a little bit, I feel that it's time to get things going.

This contest will run from now through the end of February. The theme of this contest is freezing and thawing. As a theme, it's fairly vague, the reason I choose it is I'm fond of the idea of a world that has changes that happen as you play through the game. It is my hope to see a few people get clever as to how they implement the theme rather than rely on enemies and ice beam. It could be an aesthetic thing, ice slowly melting away as you progress through a hack. Perhaps a new path opens up as ice continues to melt? Maybe you want to do something different and it's a horror story where frozen corpses come to life and chase you! We are looking for creativity and new ideas that could inspire what people put in other hacks.

Rules:
1. Only one entry per contestant.
2. If the hacked game is Super Metroid, the hack should be beatable, with a credits sequence.

Suggestions:
-due to the small timeframe, I suggest making your hack no bigger than it needs to be to fully demonstrate your implementation of the theme.
-readme with information on required tricks and EPIC STORY recommended

If you are interested in judging this contest, please get in touch with me so I can add you to the list. As a judge, you will be responsible for playing all entries and giving feedback by March 12th. Do keep in mind the end of this contest is close to the release of the Nintendo Switch and the new Zelda game, so I ask that you weigh the possibility of ending up distracted by that before deciding you want to be a judge.

The submission cutoff date is March 1st. May the best hack win!

When: January 27 - February 28th at midnight
Judging criteria: What hack best incorporated the themes of freezing and thawing into gameplay and aesthetic.
Judges: DSO
FIRST OF THE HIGH ORDER OF VOLUNTEER JUDGES: GRAND EXECUTOR LUNARIA
FIRST OF THE HIGH ORDER OF SECOND VOLUNTEER JUDGES: DOPING SCANDAL THEDOPEFISH
FIRST OF THE HIGH ORDER OF DISCORDIAN VOLUNTEERS: THE ANONYMOUS THEANONYMOUSUSER

Vismund Cygnus

Jiffy

I'm working on something. And this time, I will finish it. Feel free to ban me from the site if I don't. :>

personitis

Lunaria

I hope people haven't forgotten about this, I want to see some sweet entries this year! ;P

Cpt.Glitch

Steel Sparkle

this contest stuff is really cool. It usually produces small little gems throughout the years. Good luck to everyone who is making something and judging them!

Lunaria

Deadline is on Tuesday night people, don't miss it~

Jiffy

SUPER METROID FROSTBITE
Samus receives a distress call from planet SB-018, a tundra covered planet code-named "Finland". Samus finds herself within frozen caves and attempting to investigate the research facility on the planet. There has been danger - the facility has been infected with an undiscovered planetary virus, and and the facility has been cryogenically frozen to avoid the virus from spreading. Samus must break the ice by exploring the facility and detonating the planet, so the virus can no longer spread!

I may have douched up the %, but the totals are 75 missiles, 4 E-tanks and 3 other items. (this includes the starting 20 missiles and other items.)
Hope you find this to be a COOL experience!  :cool:

Lunaria

I was worried for a while that there would literally be zero entries into this contest, good to know that we have gotten past that mark at least! :P

Cpt.Glitch

Ing-ing

Introducing Winter Mission, a Zero mission hack made in MAGE.
When Rippers attacked the Galactic federation HQ, no one would have expected them to take all of the energy tanks.
This is important Samus, if those energy tanks are not brought back, everyone must use reserve tanks, and that's horrible.

Rippers are hiding in an ice cold facility on planet Cold. Seek out for items such as Power grip, Speed booster and Varia suit in order to survive and bring the wrong to the justice.
Wait, was that an Imago I heard? I hope you brought all of the missiles you could lay your finger over.

Cpt.Glitch

Metroid Deep Freeze

A space dragon and its metallic recreation decided to flash freeze an unknown planet. Their intentions are unclear, but it doesn't matter to me what they are. I am bored out of my mind. It has been months since I last had a bounty to hunt. I am on my way to this planet now, seeking to destroy whatever I can to alleviate my boredom. According to planetary scans, the organic space dragon is locked up tight behind some heavy ordinance blast doors. But the metallic one is roaming the planet.  I will be satisfied with just killing the metal recreation, but killing both? That would be rad.
                    -Samus-

All info is included in the README.

EDIT: Submited 1.2 on discord before the deadline because I couldn't access the forums at the time. The IPS is added, but if it does not count then poop.

Cpt.Glitch

Sorry for double post.
@Ing-ing there is a perma stuck in Imago's room. The gray door doesnt unlock unless a Super Missile is collected. You still have time to fix it

Ing-ing

@Cpt.Glitch That's actually changed to gray on purpose,  the hack ends in a pit of energy tanks. And even if I knew how to add proper ending, I wouldn't be able to do it before Friday. On top of that the connection editor crashes due to some unfortunate screw ups. Should have probably conveyed the ending better, oh well.

biospark

Quote from: Cpt.Glitch on February 27, 2017, 10:56:58 AM
@Ing-ing there is a perma stuck in Imago's room. The gray door doesnt unlock unless a Super Missile is collected. You still have time to fix it

I have a patch that unlocks the door when the boss dies, if necessary.

Cpt.Glitch

Quick update to my entry to fix an unintentional buffing of a certain boss.

squishy_ichigo

I was working on what was supposed to be a very quick job, where I took one of my favorite hacks (Eris) and combined it with another of my favorite hacks (Project Base) and gave you all of the main items in the game (minus gravysuit and beams) and hyper beam (called thaw beam), with unlimited supers/pbs, and had a timer where if it ran out samus freezed to death, where all the pickups in the game were replaced by etanks that only gave you 10 hp, and the goal was to beat the game by thawing out samus by collecting energy for her suit, and you could take off the varia (called warmarmor) to take more time damage and being in 'water' also lowered the timer faster, and it was all a pretty cool idea, I got most of it working, coolbeans, but then I ran into a lot of conflicts between Eris and PB and my vacation ended, and I couldn't be assed enough to fix all of the conflicts while also testing the entire game multiple times to catch bugs, and I asked for testers and no one seemed interested, and people would probably shit on it anyways, dman sure did several times during iteration.

#runonsentences #unfinishedprojects #feelsbadman

PonchGaming

You should still release eventually.

ThatSpoiler

Metroid: Ice Break

Samus has been contracted to explore the 4th moon of planet CS-267. She must discover any Space Pirate activity and shut it down! The entire moon has frozen over. Be careful though. The ice might just crack, plunging you into pits you may never escape!

This is an NES Metroid Hack made using Editroid. This hack contains Morph Ball, Bombs, Varia Suit, High Jump, Long Beam, Ice Beam, 6 Missiles and 3 Energy Tanks. Can you find them all?

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I've patched my hack. Hope y'all can play it now!

Enjoy!

-ThatSpoiler

Jiffy

It's great to see some new faces in the hacking community that are entering this contest. May the best hack win. :D

Retroo

Does your hack have fucking save stations Jefrey?

Cpt.Glitch

Scyzer

Super Metroid: Gelid

This is a small (but not really) one-room hack collaboration entry by myself and Grime. Grime built the room and graphics and made the whole thing look awesome, while I did all the yuck ASM and made new enemies/boss and stuff.

The story is pretty much told in-game.

[Spoiler=Things]

• Look for things that don't really fit in with the terrain.
  • Don't stay underwater for too long.
  • You cannot hurt one particular enemy. Try to think of another way of dealing with it.
  • There are some hidden sections, however there are NO shot or bomb blocks.
  • Due to the high number of processes happening in this hack, there may be some lag in certain areas, though nothing too drastic.
[/Spoiler]
:bounce:

Raccoon Sam

Quote from: Scyzer on March 01, 2017, 12:00:36 AMSuper Metroid: Gelid
Can't go for a test drive yet but goddamn those graphics look really nice  :colonrightv: