News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2010 - Archives

Started by squishy_ichigo, January 16, 2010, 11:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyjet66

Quote from: person701 on October 12, 2010, 03:53:49 PM
Tyjet: Redesign tiles, a bit of a strange room design, but the palette fits.
NOT Redesign tiles, the slopes were custom made for me (if he wishes to announce himself, he will)...

Quietus

Voted for Tyjet.  I just can't bring myself to like Crys's tileset. :neutral:

Lunaria

Can people just stop saying it's my tileset?

It makes me look bad considering I did not make it! :<
(though I did modify it a bit...)

Zhs2

Did he actually mean in his context that you made the tileset in question, as opposed to only using it?

Quietus

Nope.  Crys's 'ownership' was used solely to distinguish between which picture's content I was commenting on.

Lunaria

I guess I took it wrong then. :<

I do take suggestions "why" people dislike the tileset though?
I have heard many say it's ugly, but no concrete reason as of why. I, myself, find it to fit what I want to do, but I don't want to force any fans I may or may not have to play something they think look ugly. :E

Quietus

For me, it's the quality of the tiles.  They don't seem as detailed as the others.  If you compare them to your door, for example, they almost look NES-like in comparison.  Also, they don't seem to blend well, as there's a clear, distinct line between the edging tiles and the filler.  I actually like the green-edged ones at the bottom.

Digital_Mantra

I voted Crys cause the room seemed more interesting to me.
I did however like the palette it used to have more.

Tyjet's room, well there's nothing wrong with it, it's well made.
But it doesn't really do much for me.

snarfblam

I voted Crys because Tyjet's seems like more of the same old thing. It may be well done, but that alone does not make for ROTW. If nothing else, Crys is a champion of variety.

Still, Crys, your the tileset really is the weak point. Since you asked, the earth in the foreground is amorphous, structureless, blocky, and the colors are harsh and contrasting (depsite the monotone). It looks like brown static. Despite the layering, the background has little sense of depth, but it would probably look a lot better, even as-is, if paired with a more natural, less featureless foreground.

Lunaria

Oh, maybe I should have mentioned this before, that's supposed to be organic looking, not earthy.

(Which is why I found it odd that people dissed the pink palette.)

Phazar

Only two rooms this week?  I need to get back to making entries....

Anyway, my vote goes to Tyjet for the cool tileset palette.  Crys' just seems a bit more rough quality for me.

JAM

Tyjet66
Craterian tileset is really deserves this kind of slopes. It's not fair that Maridia and Norfair are having these slopes but Crateria and Brinstar -- doesn't. Although, as far as all these tilesets are natural (not artifical like Ceres or Tourian), they should have slopes. In short, good work. Cool slopes and nice design.

Crys
I will not say, that tileset is bad, but yeah, it doesn't look too organic. Maybe, remade some glows to give these blocks a little motion.

FullOfFail

I'll go with Tyjet66 here. Properly using the Crateria tiles for the shading and variation is always a plus in my book. I don't see any tile errors or anything in particular to complain about.

Cry's entry is just way too blocky for that kind of environment imo. I think it'd look better if you either made all the FG tiles more blocky to match the BG, or did the opposite and make the BG tiles more curvy. I have mixed feelings about the brown vs green/black tiles. While I'm a fan of contrast, this just looks odd to me. I really like how the door has a brownish tint to match the brown tiles though.

Silver Skree

Crys' tiles are too busy, too blocky, and too much of the same thing for my tastes.

Tyjet's room is very, very sexy crateria. Needless to say, I went with him.

Neither levels are really designed poorly, in my opinion. I just think Tyjet's looks much more attractive, and
Quote from: FullOfFail on October 16, 2010, 01:55:08 AM
Properly using the Crateria tiles for the shading and variation is always a plus in my book. I don't see any tile errors or anything in particular to complain about.

It's standard crateria, save for the 1/2 slopes, and spiced up exactly the way standard crateria should be: grass, pipes, slopes, AND VODKA MARTINIS FOR YOU AND I.

zephyrtronium

Shouldn't submissions be happening by yesterday?

IMetroRat

Well, 1'st post so I'll probably post my bad-ass room. (Although it's already on my topic)
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quietus

The tiles below / above the ramps look a little dodgy, as it makes the tiles look cut off.  Other than that, the room looks very nice.

Oh, and your sig is broken.

Phazar

Should there be a counter for how many times I must lock the poll in this state when squishy forgets?

squishy_ichigo

squishy forgets < squishy is unable to

also, blame Zeke for not starting the submissions until yesterday :/

so we'll wait until tomorrow to start voting (if we get another submit)

Silver Skree

oh, why the hell not.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Additional: I can't remember if I ever submitted this one before, but if I have, does that disqualify me?

Quietus

Tyjet66

IMetroRat: I really like the colors, but something about the blending of them really turns me off.

Silver Skree: I like the Green Brinstar but you seem to just be starting to get used to tile tileset so your not using it to it's full potential but you seem to be starting to get a nice grasp on it. I do not like your door caps, not really sure why.

Skree has my vote this week.

Katelyn

I'm going with Skree for 2 reasons: IMetro's blend doesn't suit me, and Skrees looks better.
The second reason is that to IMetroRat I am a fatass bitch. >_>

snarfblam

I don't really see anything outstanding about Skree's room. Not bad, the green isn't doing much for me. Also, pancake doors?

IMetroRat, I actually really like the cool, subdued, earthy tones and organic plantyness. Pretty cool.

MetroidMst

Silver loves his green. I have no complaints about either room this week, but I prefer Imet's room just based off of my personal taste.