News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2010 - Archives

Started by squishy_ichigo, January 16, 2010, 11:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snarfblam

Holy crap, BlackSnow. (Thanks for making my submission look like a joke.)

Silver Skree

* Silver_Skree stops playing Minecraft Minecrack for 2 mins to do this

i'm going for blacksnow's room this week and am not going to take the time to explain or criticize because i have diamonds to find nowifyoullexcusemeMINECRACK hhhhhhhhhhh

Tyjet66

Holy shit Blacksnow... You have an amazing talent with the Crateria tileset, it's really amazing, keep it up!

Quietus

I too went with BlackSnow.  I like the colours used, and while there are one or two more straight edges than I'd go for, overall the room is very good looking.

Katelyn

* Shadox stops playing real life for 30 seconds to do this

Blacksnow

MetroidMst

Blacksnow for me. The purple tileset Crys is using doesn't do much for me. Snarf nearly had my vote because that room is actually really cool. But Black had it going on this week. Really impressive stuff.

personitis

Crys: The contrast between the colors in the room going from purple at the top to a green bottom work very well I must say. The detail tiles (or what-have-you) in the wall looked blocky at first then I noticed that it fit well with the square walls n' such. The layout is an interesting concept here as well as it makes it feel like you're advancing into a new area. Only thing I dislike is how the wall turns up on the bottom-left. This room just kinda appeals to me so it's nabbed my vote.

Snaf: The tiles are sweet but that seems like that's all you've got going this week. Same room, same concept, slightly altered design. Though, I do like how the statues sit on the metal structure which is a good continuous theme for the Crateria tileset.

BlackSnow: The palette works great for the Crateria tileset and the room layout is rather sweet as well. The detailing is also very nice. The only thing I have on this room is that it's the Crateria tileset which was basically pioneered by Redesign. Only things that are original are a few customs and the 'walls in walls' detail. None the less, I still enjoyed the room. It's just that it's the tileset most learn to use when they pick up SMILE.

Overall however, good rooms this week everyone. ^-^

MetroidMst

James tiles. Slightly different palette. Not going to win, but whatever.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Katelyn

Entry time! :awesome:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Tyjet66

[spoiler][/spoiler]

stat!k

just for the hell of it, only made this tile set about 10 minutes ago
[spoiler][/spoiler]

EDIT: fixed most of the shitty in this room

Scyzer

So I decided against entering this week....

Then I changed my mind :)

[spoiler=Rawr!]
Then I changed it again :P
Felt I should finish my room up with a BG if/when I put it into a RotW
[/spoiler]

Kasel

What the hell...I'll throw one in here for shits and giggles.  It won't win, but hey. ^^

Yeah there isn't a background...That's the reason it won't win. XD But I have to be able to say I tried.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

DSO

I feel like I should be contributing more, but sadly all I have to show you as of now is this same tileset you've been seeing for months... but that's not going to hold me back.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quietus

I like the room's simplicity, DSO.  I'd suggest embedding the pod into the floor for flow's sake, but it'd mess up the room, so, I dunno. :razz:

MetroidMst

MetroidMst: Bland item room without the mural. With it, alright.

Shadox: Fusion doors, nice layering, dark palette = win. Definitely a room that benefits the hack it is part of.

Tyjet66: Love the palette and the room is well made. Pretty awesome.

stat!k: I like the new tiles, just the palette could use a little work. I think you are going for an ice look, and it does do that alright, but I think a little tweaking might be beneficial.

Kasel: That palette is so close to one of mine it is kind of creepy. Much less layer 1 detail than some others, but the layer looks good, plus I love the palette. Voted for this room.

DSO: Heavy layering affect as usual. I tend to like the palette. Maybe just drop the item throne into the floor for more fluidity while playing.

Kasel

That palette and set are actually one of Grime's.  He let me use it a while back when I made that room.

Black Falcon

It was a hard decision between Shadox and Tyjet.
I finally took Shadox because darkness wins.
(Though the door palette could be darker, too.)

Zhs2

Lovin' MetroidMst's use of James' work, but Shadox' room is winning it with me. Tyjet's is a close second; the inverted scrolling BG really adds to the atmosphere.

Tyjet66

It'd be awesome if we had a 3-way tie this week.  :lol:

Scyzer

MetMst: Dunno how this looks in-game, but looks like a suit upgrade room cause of the chozo thingy. Im wondering if there's Varia or Gravity in here.
The only bad thing IMO is that the area pallete looks a bit more faded in comparison to a dark saturated door.

Shadox: I really like this pallete, but then again I know where it's from :wink: I agree with Falcon about the CRE being too light though. Wayyyy too light. I think you may be able to cause a scrolling jump when jumping under the red door that shows behind the door for a second, so you may want to put part of a "mock" room behind it. Also, I think you should put another support up-right of the silver door, after the CRE structure drops a tile, and also in the middle where the bridge drops in the middle.

Tyjet: I know the BG doesn't look like that in game, but that's not really my complaint. It's just that the BG being so light there makes it harder to see the detail in the FG. Anyway, I really like that FG. The room layout is brilliant :yay: Reminds me a lot of SMR, but that's not a bad thing.
The only bad thing with your pallete is the SCE rock tiles where the corroded pipes join in, it's got a bit of green there? Just something small, but makes a huge difference if little things like that match up :grin:

Stat!k: Nice ice area, but the FG filler is still a bit too light IMO. The frozen ice on top of the water is a really nice effect, and the ice coming out of the pipe makes it look as if the whole room was frozen instantly in seconds (though you have to think, if it were cold enough to freeze instantly, why did it only freeze a small layer over the water?)

Kasel: The blue bricks with poyple rocks work really well together surprisingly. I dont see any point to the bricks behind the doors other than wasted space, but eh. The white in the doors/pipes is way too bright though.

DSO: Gold doors make SadFish cry :cry: <-- see?
The BG looks amazing, though I'd remove or drop the pedestal into the floor, it would add more flow to the room (unless of course you only come through once or twice). The FG is pretty "layered" too now I look closer... I'm guessing you have a lot of layer1 and 2 mixing :heheh:

I'm not saying who I voted for CAUSE IT'S A SECRET!!! :flap:

Tyjet66

Quote from: Sadiztyk Fish on October 06, 2010, 04:13:54 PM
Tyjet: I know the BG doesn't look like that in game, but that's not really my complaint. It's just that the BG being so light there makes it harder to see the detail in the FG. Anyway, I really like that FG. The room layout is brilliant :yay: Reminds me a lot of SMR, but that's not a bad thing.
The only bad thing with your pallete is the SCE rock tiles where the corroded pipes join in, it's got a bit of green there? Just something small, but makes a huge difference if little things like that match up :grin:

Yea, I noticed the small amount of green that you mention, it has now been removed so it looks much nicer. I wish I knew how to make the BG look how it does in-game, it confuses me.

Also, your not the first to say it looks like redesigns, but it confuses me because I don't see it.  :pwuh: Although, I do take a lot of my inspiration from Redesign.

Lunaria

MOAHAHHAHHHAHAHHAHAHHAHALOL
[spoiler][/spoiler]

BTW there is an e-tank in the top part of the room and water in the bottom...

The hole at the right corner is solid.

Tyjet66

Well, let's give it another shot:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

personitis

Too lazy to go into detail but:
Crys: same room but extended and repaletted.
Tyjet: Redesign tiles, a bit of a strange room design, but the palette fits.