News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Concerns with MEngine

Started by Tokinsom, May 03, 2016, 11:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Physix

QuoteAnd 90% of this engine is OUR work.

Now you're claiming ownership of work that isn't yours? Aren't you being the hypocrite here? Trust me, I've already removed a good chunk of your assets from my engine.
My engine is far from being 10% of its former self. You may have overestimated your involvement in my project.

QuoteBetatronic, our friends, and former teammates have gotten emails from him pretending to be someone else fishing for sprites, music, sounds, builds, code, etc.
Actually, only Betatronic. And only asking for water splash sprites. That was it. You're stretching it as you have stretched every other accusation against me, including...

Quote from: Tokinsom on May 04, 2016, 01:40:15 AM
I've also had a number of break in attempts on my own accounts. Gee, wonder who that was.

Don't throw around these kinds of accusations without proof. I never tried to break into your account or anyone else's.

After everything I've done to get my hands on it, I must say... I'm tired of this M:SR388 shit. I forget to remove a few title screen sprites and I'm back to being the scum of the earth.
I've removed all of the menu graphics from my latest engine (minus Samus). You can leave this thread now. And take your essays with you.

Betatronic

To be fair, what he's mad about is more than just the title screen. You know we have a very long history.
Actually, so long as you're using anything from that engine, regardless of if I made it or not, people are gonna be pretty sour about it.

And by claiming "Our work," he refers to the fact it was a joint project between me and him, and the other contributors. This also includes all the programming and stylings he did for the engine and it's visual effects. I think a certain powerbomb explosion comes to mind...one that yours looks suspiciously similar to...

Wirtualnosc

Actually, if I had to decide, I would probably side with Betatronic and Tokinsom here. The engine looks pretty good, that's true; but if so much manipulation and theft went into it that it shouldn't exist in the first place (according to what Tokinsom said), then there would be no way I could support this project. Unless I'm still missing some pieces of info? Being a developer myself, I can understand why this drama is happening in first place. Personally, I would never steal assets from anyone, and I would expect everyone else to do the same with mine. While I also understand Physix's desire to recreate and finally finish MSR, things are sometimes just meant to be left behind.

interdpth

To be fair, everyone needs placeholder GFX until the real thing is finished. Why not use something nice?

Seriously though, it may be your leaked content, but just give him permission and be happy instead of continually being an asshole over something you'll never use in the future and just want to boast about lmao

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Wirtualnosc on May 04, 2016, 05:04:35 AM
Actually, if I had to decide, I would probably side with Betatronic and Tokinsom here. The engine looks pretty good, that's true; but if so much manipulation and theft went into it that it shouldn't exist in the first place (according to what Tokinsom said), then there would be no way I could support this project. Unless I'm still missing some pieces of info? Being a developer myself, I can understand why this drama is happening in first place. Personally, I would never steal assets from anyone, and I would expect everyone else to do the same with mine. While I also understand Physix's desire to recreate and finally finish MSR, things are sometimes just meant to be left behind.

Maybe or maybe not, after looking at what hes done with the resources and put it to good use.
Just let the guy have it, long as it stays in metroid engine -only- till the end of completion zero one rides his ass to make sure of that.
If your not going to put your past resources from it to good use let someone else handle it.
I understand your point of your view and you value your work dearly but give it some thought and reconsider it.

Wirtualnosc

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on May 04, 2016, 08:21:43 AM

Maybe or maybe not, after looking at what hes done with the resources and put it to good use.
Just let the guy have it, long as it stays in metroid engine -only- till the end of completion zero one rides his ass to make sure of that.
If your not going to put your past resources from it to good use let someone else handle it.
I understand your point of your view and you value your work dearly but give it some thought and reconsider it.

Yes, the engine looks well with these placeholder assets. If it was just one time someone would steal my assets, then maybe, but maybe, I would let it slip. However, as Tokinsom said (and I advise you to read that again in case you missed):
I'll refrain from personal attacks but I will say this: He has been impersonating and manipulating people to get these assets for YEARS. He has ~10 youtube accounts, he has ~20 accounts on various metroid forums, he has posted numerous metroid engines with assets ripped straight from my youtube videos, and has even posted some of my own videos and Von Richter's videos on his channels. Betatronic, our friends, and former teammates have gotten emails from him pretending to be someone else fishing for sprites, music, sounds, builds, code, etc. He's also been banned from every metroid forum countless times for trolling, shitposting, theft, impersonation, and multiple accounts.
This is just something I can't tolerate. Yes, there's no proof shown here, but then again, I haven't seen Physix deny this statement too - only that he didn't try to break into his account, which honestly says as little as nothing to me. If you were harassed non-stop about those assets, impersonated, lied to, would you still stand by your statement? Because for me, that just goes out of the line.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Wirtualnosc on May 04, 2016, 08:44:02 AM
Quote from: Dark-SA-X on May 04, 2016, 08:21:43 AM

Yes, the engine looks well with these placeholder assets. If it was just one time someone would steal my assets, then maybe, but maybe, I would let it slip. However, as Tokinsom said (and I advise you to read that again in case you missed):
I'll refrain from personal attacks but I will say this: He has been impersonating and manipulating people to get these assets for YEARS. He has ~10 youtube accounts, he has ~20 accounts on various metroid forums, he has posted numerous metroid engines with assets ripped straight from my youtube videos, and has even posted some of my own videos and Von Richter's videos on his channels. Betatronic, our friends, and former teammates have gotten emails from him pretending to be someone else fishing for sprites, music, sounds, builds, code, etc. He's also been banned from every metroid forum countless times for trolling, shitposting, theft, impersonation, and multiple accounts.
This is just something I can't tolerate. Yes, there's no proof shown here, but then again, I haven't seen Physix deny this statement too - only that he didn't try to break into his account, which honestly says as little as nothing to me. If you were harassed non-stop about those assets, impersonated, lied to, would you still stand by your statement? Because for me, that just goes out of the line.

Given all that I'd probably wouldn't let him touch shit and depending on how nasty he is directly towards me about it.
However though if he used my work for his own game and he showed progress steadily as I've seen here.
Yes I would let him have it, have him apologize just forgive and forget, have your named slapped on the title screen, credits at the end of game.

If he can't do that without being an asshole, dont let him touch it.

Physix

but if so much manipulation and theft went into it that it shouldn't exist in the first place (according to what Tokinsom said), then there would be no way I could support this project.

My project existed far before any of this mess went down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8rgSkjI08

Would they claim 90% ownership of that too? The most you can say is that the subscreen is slightly similar to the old MSR388's. Their assets are not core to my engine. All that's left of theirs is Samus, power bombs, tilesets... And the music. I'm not getting rid of Samus's new sprites. I am planning on reworking Power Bombs if it means calming their tits. Something just tells me that they'll never be satisfied.

QuoteI'll refrain from personal attacks but I will say this: He has been impersonating and manipulating people to get these assets for YEARS. He has ~10 youtube accounts, he has ~20 accounts on various metroid forums, he has posted numerous metroid engines with assets ripped straight from my youtube videos, and has even posted some of my own videos and Von Richter's videos on his channels. Betatronic, our friends, and former teammates have gotten emails from him pretending to be someone else fishing for sprites, music, sounds, builds, code, etc. He's also been banned from every metroid forum countless times for trolling, shitposting, theft, impersonation, and multiple accounts.

There's just no winning in these kinds of situations, because even if I don't impersonate or hack other people, then I'm still stuck in the position of having to defend myself against it. Let me break it down.

QuoteImpersonating and manipulating people.
Who did I impersonate and when?
Quote10 YouTube accounts.
Irrelevant, and I only have one... Unless you care to link the other 9 that you claim exist.
Quote20 accounts on various Metroid forums.
Well yeah, there's like 10 forums, and I got one or two accounts on each. What's your point?
QuoteNumerous metroid engines with assets ripped from videos.
No, just one engine. This one. Every other engine I made used assets drawn by me or Nintendo.
QuoteHas even posted some of my own videos and Von Richter's videos on his channels.
I deleted your video after a single day, and the one video I had of Von's was his Mr. Hotdog song. I didn't ask for his permission, so the video's private now.
QuoteBetatronic, our friends, and former teammates have gotten emails from him pretending to be someone else fishing for sprites, music, sounds, builds, code, etc.
Already corrected him on that one. It was one instance of me asking Betatronic if I could have his water splash sprites. Apparently my memory fails me, and what I actually did was impersonate a team member and ask every single one of them for the game executable. Silly me.
Quotebanned from every metroid forum countless times for trolling, shitposting, theft, impersonation, and multiple accounts.
Just shitposting and having multiple accounts. You know me too well, although I don't recall impersonating anyone. If I get banned for theft in the midst of all of this, it'll be a first.

Just about all of his accusations don't stand up to scrutiny because they have absolutely nothing supporting them. They're stretched beyond all belief.

Tokinsom

Ok, clearly the majority of you insist on cherry picking my posts.

I suggest you re-read the second half of my last post, then re-read it again.

Physix, your engine was fine before you got my build and started copying it and using its assets. You didn't hear a peep from us until then. I suggest you roll back to it, because at the very least it's (mostly) your own work you can be proud of. Even I commended your original engine, if you recall. I tried being the nice guy, and you walked all over me. Just remember, if you use any more of our work and show it off here, the admins here will take care of it. If we find our original, copyrighted, non-Metroid works in your youtube videos, you will be reported.

One final thing I need to point out. Even if we did infringe copyright and disrespect the wishes of our former teammates by giving Physix every single asset (excluding our stacks of design documents, concepts, and maps), he could not come close to making MSR388 on his own, so quit thinking he's the savior that's going to bring MSR388 back and finish it for you. It would take an entire team of talented developers at least 8 years to make a project of this scale and caliber in their free time with no budget. I'm not boasting anything; this is a fact. AM2R has been in development for 9 years. Megaman X: Corrupted has been in development for 8 years. Indie games such as Heart Forth Alicia and The Iconoclasts have also been in development for ~8 years, and both are developed by professionals with funding and publishers. None of these games are even close to being finished. MSR388 is no exception. Those of you who have spent time developing and shipping real games instead of Samus engines for the last decade, which in the end is barely 5% of a complete Metroid game, would understand this. Get real, folks.

Anything I could say beyond this would just be repeating my earlier posts.

Congrats on the shitfest that, yes, you started, Physix. The rest of you can believe what you want. I really, really don't care.

Zero One

I'm going to lock this thread now, because it's just devolving into a shitty back-and-forth. I think everything that needed to be said has been said. But first, a final thought from Zeke:

"Who cares about whether or not he'll "finish" MSR? At least he's doing something, even if he is doing something as a really big jerk. Some progress is better than no progress, and even though "completion" is a highly optimistic viewpoint it sounds at least somewhat better than burying the dead and surrounding them with really angry deathtraps. There really aren't any saviors here, just a whole lot of open wounds on either side that some people refuse to let close."