News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Hyper Metroid

Started by RealRed, April 17, 2015, 11:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dstryr712

Anyone around to offer some help please?

[spoiler]I got through Kraid and Phantoon, and I found the Space Jump, spring ball, gravity suit, varia, but I haven't yet found the power bombs... can someone point me towards where I would first find them? Zone/general location would be great... Thanks in advance![/spoiler]

Snowflame

I've just completed the game at 8:06 and 82%.  Here's my review:

[spoiler]Pros
- Good map size with well-placed connections to each area
- Ammo system
- Final escape sequence was awesome, though it could have done without that part with the spider-like robot and the rising lava
- Navigating through Maridia to get the gravity suit was well-designed
- I liked that the IBJ was easier to do
- The gate system is a nice touch that reminds me of searching for Chozo artifacts in Metroid Prime
- I liked that the game had more of a reason to use the spring ball, such as in getting the spazer

Cons
- It could have been made more clear that you were meant to visit the Wrecked Ship after getting the hi jump boots.  I wandered around Brinstar for a long time thinking the super missiles would be there
- Getting through the speed blocks to get to Draygon's room was a serious pain in the ass.  Adding a few extra tiles in length would have made a huge difference
- Crocomire and Draygon were disappointing bosses.  Crocomire takes very few hits to fall into the acid, while Draygon takes too many hits.  Plus many of my hits wouldn't register on Draygon, making the fight frustrating

Overall, I found the game to be an enjoyable experience.  I give the hack an 8/10
[/spoiler]

Aura Of The Dawn

Quote from: dstryr712 on April 20, 2015, 10:36:51 PM

[spoiler]I got through Kraid and Phantoon, and I found the Space Jump, spring ball, gravity suit, varia, but I haven't yet found the power bombs... can someone point me towards where I would first find them? Zone/general location would be great... Thanks in advance![/spoiler]
[spoiler]They're in maridia, and you'll need to find/beat Botwoon to get them. Possibly need to leave Maridia and reenter it in another place.[/spoiler]

Should be hint enough, without outright spoiling.

personitis

Quote from: Aura Of The Dawn on April 20, 2015, 10:02:35 PM

Aright, maybe it's just me being foolish, but this area is easily reachable without sequence breaks, (in my mind at least, I found it while looking for gravity suit), and in maridia before you have the gravity suit. Ending up in this pit turns into a 'reset your game'. Lowering the walls around it a nudge would fix it, or removing the sandfall over it. Either/or would free you to jump out without gravity suit.
iirc, you can bomb and roll out of the left side.

Aura Of The Dawn

Walking off the right edge of this ledge generates... an odd glitch. Camera locks, and I appear to fall through the floor, loop, and fall through the ceiling. Defect is graphical only, my actual position is off screen where I should be, though the screen does not pan, and the issue resolved itself when I moved back around to the top of the ledge I walked off of. (Which had to be done blind, what with the camera locking and me being 'offscreen')

dstryr712

Quote from: Aura Of The Dawn on April 20, 2015, 10:46:47 PM
Quote from: dstryr712 on April 20, 2015, 10:36:51 PM

[spoiler]They're in maridia, and you'll need to find/beat Botwoon to get them. Possibly need to leave Maridia and reenter it in another place.[/spoiler]

Should be hint enough, without outright spoiling.

[spoiler]Just got there while exploring after I posted- thanks! I thought I killed a botwoon earlier, but i did lose some of my progress, but after this one, it progressed differently. Relieved now, though![/spoiler]

foosda

just reporting a game crash, and two places you can get stuck

game crashed in ws for whatever reason: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pguvch3q3yahapd/ws%20game%20crash.mp4?dl=0

this obviously isn't a complete stuck, as you could wait for the robot to shoot you, use invincibility frames to get through it, but its still super annoying: https://www.dropbox.com/s/53qsd4h5f5omsvb/1st%20robot%20stuck.mp4?dl=0

and this is hard to imagine this happening to anyone that isn't being idiotic, but it did happen, so there's that: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zmu5tkon1b61bd/2nd%20robot%20stuck.mp4?dl=0

RealRed

Darn! WTF @ the crash. Probably has something to do with off-screen enemies. Not sure, will look into.

For the robot water conveyor belt hellhole, [spoiler]try the backflip.[/spoiler]
Last one is a problem though, will fix.

Purazis

Got 96% with ~6:30 at last save point, went for the 100% and finished with 8:21. Probably about 10 hours if you take into account my deaths to GT and Ridley

[spoiler]I got lucky by getting the X-ray right after power bombs and getting a super missile after the hi-jump boots (which i think is the last "tutorial" upgrade) by making a suitless trip to Norfair (had 4 e-tanks, which gave a small but reasonable room for mistakes. Also lucky by finding the right room on the first try, even if i failed to know what the item was). At first i didn't like how the items were so easy and obvious (even without X-ray), but after going through the game, i think this way makes it for a way better pacing and also makes you want to go for the 100%, as you're sure there won't be any arbitrary hidden locations or items.

GT shouldn't be blocked. If a player don't get it that he is supposed to be a late game boss after a few tries (specially considering the original game) and also didn't read the readme, then he is the only one to blame. As another player pointed out, the exit to GT should be improved if possible. Getting rid of the crumble blocks after killing him without needing to exit the room would be the best scenario, if possible. I was a bit disappointed by the lack of rewards for killing him (half E-tanks, 195 ammo, Varia Suit), but i was trying to kill him earlier more for the challenge, as i've read the readme, so i didn't really care. I don't think anything less than a relevant upgrade would make anyone think it was worth killing him earlier, though, specially when you consider you also have to kill Ridley to get acess to all the items spreaded through the opened paths by killing GT. I'm personally fine with leaving him as only a gatekeeper for Ridley and without any worth reward.

About the infamous Maridia speedblocks, i think the main issue is that the area design is really tight and indicates that you should break them from below. It doesn't help that by the time you get to that room, you'll get throw off by everything you've seen before. I personally only got blocked by numbered gates at Maridia (13 and then 15) and all the other gates unlockers that required some "unusual" game mechanic were rooms separated by a door. Everytime i've entered a gate unlocker room, i've already knew what would be at the end. The only case i was wrong was with the turtle room. The whole level design surrounding that area makes you think that you're supposed to find the gate 15 unlocker to get access to Draygon and the speedblock room is supposed to be the exit path after killing him. That's was my personal impression, anyway, which also could be due to my progress route. The game mechanic is even "harder"/less obvious to realize required than anything else. I may change my opinion after playing more and trying new routes, but for now i consider that general area around Draygon to be the only inconsistency in the level design. Even the items and upgrade placements were consistent and never had any bullshit or "tryhard" location.

About the few "haters", i also agree with those who said that they were stubborn or had the wrong mindset. Maybe they just don't like too much open world (remember that there is a lot of degrees of linearity or open world). It's interesting because before this, i was trying Eris, which i ragequitted after getting stuck for 15min in a underwater section (i hate suitless underwater) right at the beginning of the game, checked youtube, considered it the proper path bullshit and retarded, specially when you can easily go the wrong way and get into a infuriating to navigate undewater area, tried again, got stuck for 10min, checked it again for the solution, another crap and just gave up. It's probably a good romhack, but from my initial impression, i don't think the level design fits my tastes. People who didn't like it or thought it was just average really should to put more effort into pointing out the flaws instead of throwing some generic words. This romhack needed 11 months to be completed, so why can't you at least put a few minutes into a detailed post about your experience and what you consider flaws. What i got from those posts is a person that didn't like for whatever personal reason, saw everyone loving it and praising, didn't like that and basically went out of his way to say "stop liking what i dislike!".

I'm a tiny bit disappointed that the animals were so easy to find. Having a long escape and going through LOTS of rooms, it'd even better to have a motive search the rooms outside of the escape itself. Regardless, the escape sequence is top tier.[/spoiler]

NARFNra

Suggestion about the speed blocks thing: Maybe just remove the ones you have to do that special jump through?

See, after that, you have a few rooms where you have to shinespark anyway, so you wouldn't be changing the order up at all. I would rather have the ability to explore that segment a little bit and go, oops, look, speed booster blocks (in a room where it's obvious that you can shinespark them) than have a situation where I assume that the only way through them is to shinespark out from under them, ya know?

I know it'll lower the difficulty a bit, and it might make the whole puzzle aspect less interesting, but it would probably be the simplest solution. I guess you could try changing the area around it to make it more obvious too but... well, I dunno.

samus-x

Stuck here for days. Help, anyone?

[spoiler]

I've got Charge-Wave, Grapple Beam and X-Ray Visor. Last thing i did was to activate the fourth key and got stuck, i need Super Missiles or Power Bomb to advance :S
[/spoiler]

Cpt.Glitch

That picture is friggin huge lol. What items do you have?

samus-x

Quote from: Cpt.Glitch on April 21, 2015, 03:06:54 PM
That picture is friggin huge lol. What items do you have?

I said at the bottom of the spoiler  :lol:

Cpt.Glitch

[spoiler]Oops my bad. Well then I'd say to look for high jump. Its in brinstar and If i remember should be the next "in sequence" item you should get. Get to jungle brinstar and spore spawn will lead you to where you desire to go.[/spoiler]

samus-x

[spoiler] i forgot to mention it, but i obtained high jump already x)[/spoiler]

Cpt.Glitch

[spoiler]Then you best be off to the wrecked ship! Entrance is near the landing site. [/spoiler] 

RealRed

Narf: I think what I'll do is expand on the room where you find speed booster. The game fails to fully teach the new aspects about speedbooster. Currently, while people do seem to be figuring it out, what's given isn't really adequite.

samus-x

Quote from: Cpt.Glitch on April 21, 2015, 03:18:27 PM
[spoiler]Then you best be off to the wrecked ship! Entrance is near the landing site. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]I tried too, but the water if i remember well the water was such a pain in the back[/spoiler]

Cpt.Glitch

There is a platform that you have to sprint and jump off of.

samus-x

Quote from: Cpt.Glitch on April 21, 2015, 03:30:16 PM
There is a platform that you have to sprint and jump off of.
[spoiler]Ok, I'll try. Thank you![/spoiler]

IidoTheFox

Hey, enjoying the hack a whole lot to far, but me and a friend are completely stumped on how to get past these gates below Gate Switch #9

[spoiler][/spoiler]

We've tried everything we can think of. When we shoot them, they make an opening sound, but do not move...my first thought was that it was a glitch, but people have reportedly gotten 100% so..what gives?

Also, I'm curious, what exactly are the new shinesparking mechanics? I think we have yet to fully figure these out lol.

Smiley

[spoiler]You're too slow![/spoiler]

IidoTheFox

Quote from: SMILEuser96 on April 21, 2015, 04:53:18 PM
[spoiler]You're too slow![/spoiler]

[spoiler]Thanks, I had thought maybe it was speed related but still couldn't get there in time. I just pseudo-screw-attack-shinesparked the entire thing though and made it :3 That was pretty fun to do.[/spoiler]

Quietus

Quote from: IidoTheFox on April 21, 2015, 04:48:31 PMAlso, I'm curious, what exactly are the new shinesparking mechanics? I think we have yet to fully figure these out lol.
From the readme:
QuoteShine Sparking:      All you need to do now is tap the jump button to initiate the
            wind-up animation.  During this animation press ONE of the following buttons

Up on D-pad: Vertical shinespark (Super Jump)
               Left on D-pad: Horizontal shinespark left (only when facing left)
               Right on D-pad: Horizontal shinespark right (only when facing right)
               Aim up (R default):  Diagonal shinespark in the direction player is facing.

Smashing into a wall or ceiling has also has less of a cooldown before falling.
            Vertical shinesparks also have "assist" windows which will now align samus
            so that she lines up with certain narrow openings.

Spark Charging:      Boosting into a slope only requires pressing the direction Samus is
            moving on the d-pad.  When she hits the slope 2 things can happen:

D-pad LEFT/RIGHT ONLY: Samus will run and crouch automatically
               recharging her charge for a new shinespark.

D-pad LEFT/RIGHT + Run Button:   Samus will continue running at speedboost speeds.
:study:

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :^_^:

germanmetroid

What do I do in:
[spoiler]The room with this chozo statue? Is that only for the looks or is there something else in the room to activate it?
[/spoiler]