News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Hyper Metroid

Started by RealRed, April 17, 2015, 11:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealRed

http://hyper.metroidconstruction.com/

... It is done. Explore, Learn, Fight, Enjoy.
Build Time: 11 months

NOTE: The default controls are changed to my liking. Don't post about it.

KNOWN ISSUES:

• Beams 'loop' in Draygon's room. Draygon will also sometimes move so fast he teleports. Ugh, Draygon.
  • Some spots suffer from varying degrees of lag. Things can get intense.
  • X-ray may display the wrong message on pickup. This doesn't affect gameplay in any way.

personitis

DSO

Hack of the Year material here. Play it.

Tomtroid

This will be a lot of fun for all of us. :yay:

docjock

Made an account just to post on this :wink:. Every few years I check on this community as Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time and I've loved playing the hacks people have made (I've gone through pretty much all of them at this point). Really looking forward to playing through this!

RT-55J

Played this for about an hour so far.

I am thoroughly, thoroughly impressed with what I've seen.

Metaquarius

Help? I've been going in loops for the past hour trying to find out where the hell I'm supposed to go after
[spoiler]
Hi-jump boots. I got Wave Beam too but I can't think of any single place where it can be used... Don't tell me I have to kill Phantoon next, this guy is too powerful.
[/spoiler]

Retroo

Quote from: Metaquarius on April 18, 2015, 05:58:01 AM
Help? I've been going in loops for the past hour trying to find out where the hell I'm supposed to go after
[spoiler]
Hi-jump boots. I got Wave Beam too but I can't think of any single place where it can be used... Don't tell me I have to kill Phantoon next, this guy is too powerful.
[/spoiler]
Same.

begrimed

Meta / Retro: [spoiler]Phantoon shouldn't be too hard to take down with like 3 e-tanks and charge/wave. Just grab energy/ammo from his flames anytime you can. He has less HP and does less damage than in PB.[/spoiler]

Retroo

[spoiler]Thanks, yeah he was not that hard with wave beam i did not have it the first time i tried.[/spoiler]

maxipower

Just got Super Missiles by sequence breaking,,, woop woop
Click to see my progress
[spoiler]Beat Kraid, with two energy tanks... was tough, couldnt of done it without charge. wow space jump this early. now to find phantoon lol. Found Spazer. Found Phantoon, Spring Ball, crocimire defeated.[/spoiler]

smgoty

You created the best game ever! Holy crap you created this amazing game in only 11 months?  You are the best.  Please tell me you are going to make more of these, don't stop now! 
Wall jumping feels perfect........has anyone figured out the timing on the infinity bomb jumping technique?  I can get it started but can't figure out the timing to keep it going.

Glitches found:
-Missing sound effect when obtaining upgrades (mophball, bombs, missiles).  This one is sad because I really enjoy the original sound effect from Super Metroid.  Here is the famous sound effect I'm referring to:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdEFCzMNPa0
-Only fought Torizo once and he glitched out bad on me.  He immediately walked into the spike trap area on the left side of the room and became stuck walking back and forth repeatedly and not attacking.  He couldn't climb out of the spike trap pit to get to me and he wasn't attacking me so he was a sitting duck.

Thank you for making this!  I love every second of it!

maxipower

Quote from: smgoty on April 18, 2015, 11:37:11 AM
You created the best game ever! Holy crap you created this amazing game in only 11 months?  You are the best.  Please tell me you are going to make more of these, don't stop now! 
Wall jumping feels perfect........has anyone figured out the timing on the infinity bomb jumping technique?  I can get it started but can't figure out the timing to keep it going.

Glitches found:
-Missing sound effect when obtaining upgrades (mophball, bombs, missiles).  This one is sad because I really enjoy the original sound effect from Super Metroid.  Here is the famous sound effect I'm referring to:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdEFCzMNPa0
-Only fought Torizo once and he glitched out bad on me.  He immediately walked into the spike trap area on the left side of the room and became stuck walking back and forth repeatedly and not attacking.  He couldn't climb out of the spike trap area to get to me and he wasn't attacking me so he was a sitting duck.

the lack of sound is not a glitch, the annoying jingle was taken out on purpose, but yea Torizo boss is meh, he gets trapped as you say and then ya gota force him to give you ammo by jumping over him.

smgoty

Quote from: maxipower on April 18, 2015, 11:47:29 AM
Quote from: smgoty on April 18, 2015, 11:37:11 AM

Glitches found:
-Only fought Torizo once and he glitched out bad on me.  He immediately walked into the spike trap area on the left side of the room and became stuck walking back and forth repeatedly and not attacking.  He couldn't climb out of the spike trap area to get to me and he wasn't attacking me so he was a sitting duck.

the lack of sound is not a glitch, the annoying jingle was taken out on purpose, but yea Torizo boss is meh, he gets trapped as you say and then ya gota force him to give you ammo by jumping over him.

Oh man that sucks.  I was hoping it was a glitch and he could fix it.  That sound effect is awesome, not annoying, but I do admit it starts getting annoying on the 25th plus time.  Maybe he can add the sound effect back for the first time you receive the upgrades only. For the important items (mophball, bombs, high jump, etc..... and for 1st missile pack, 1st super missile pack, 1st power bomb pack, etc.....).  That would only be 20 something times throughout the entire length of the game.  Much better than appox 90 plus times in the original.  Just a suggestion........

Zhs2

I ran into the lack of ammo problem too, but I've found Bomb Torizo can be killed by another weapon if necessary - a weapon most people underestimate. :wink:

smgoty

Hyper Metroid needs to be added to the main site "hacks" tab and upgraded to "A-list" ASAP!

squishy_ichigo

[spoiler=5:19 87%]Move aside Eris, you just got replaced as my favorite hack ever made.

Hyper Metroid was such an overwhelmingly enjoyable ride. I didn't feel like I was being punished for playing the game, certain areas where hard early on, but that's my own fault for trying to sequence break!  And this hack is insanely nonlinear, I didn't know where to go sometimes, but that's because there was always something new to explore!

Overall difficulty was very spot on. You get punched in the face if you try going in certain areas, but only enough to discourage you from going there, and not enough to actually keep you from going there!  Not sure on item order, since I think I got several things out of order, I just couldn't help myself! Exploring was so enjoyable, and constantly rewarding.  Some may say this hack is too easy, but I'd say its just right, the perfect balance.  Project Base physics combined with several other additions, made this hack feel very fluid.  The new ammo system is so good, that I almost want to steal it for myself!  Move aside Redesign and Z-Factor, there's a new best escape sequence!

There are a few polish things that I'll want to discuss with RealRed that I feel should be in v1.1, but otherwise, I have no complaints.  [/spoiler]

smgoty

Are all of the tricks from the original in this?  I can't seem to get IBJ to work.  Is the short charge and the others included as well?

Digital_Mantra

This is the best hack I've ever played, and currently ever made.

Review:
[spoiler]Hyper Metroid is a culmination of all the best aspects on the roster of hacks put into one game.
It's made for players of all skill levels, rewarding them equally in whatever path they choose.
Every replay introduces you to a new route or sequence, a new experience that never seems to feel forced or contrived.
Everything just comes together. The layout design is structurally sound, and exploration never gets tasking or dull for a moment.
You can tell this was fleshed out with labor and love. The beautiful, lush level design embellishes from the best,
whilst retaining it's own absolute originality. Hyper Metroid's use of Grime's 'Project Base' physics bonded symbiotically to form
the most fluid gameplay experienced yet. I felt thrust into a new game, a new planet, a new Zebes.
So.. don't get Hype. Get Hyper![/spoiler]

RT-55J

Quote from: smgoty on April 18, 2015, 01:16:26 PM
Are all of the tricks from the original in this?  I can't seem to get IBJ to work.
IBJing seems to use timing similar to the GBAtroids. Just mashing the button at a brisk, steady pace seems to be good enough for most purposes.

smgoty

In crateria on the map directly up/left of where your ship is located there is a dot with an upgrade item.  I'm trying everything and can't get it.  It is in the room with spikes covering most of the floor and spikes on the ceiling.  There is a tiny platform hanging in the air that you stand on but it is very close to the ceiling so you can't jump over to the right to get the upgrade item.  I went to the lower right portion of the room and tried wall jumping up to it, but I keep hitting my head of the bottom of the ledge holding the upgrade item.  Any ideas?  Has anyone been able to get this upgrade item yet?

Mayo-chan

This is easily one of the best Metroid games I've ever played, I love it! The maps are huge and complex, and I love all the thought and detail you put into them. I especially love how there is always something new going on. I love all the surprises too, and how they defy expectations after seeing so many vanilla hacks do things pre-programmed routine way. The level design itself is very good as well, especially how you set up most of the items to where you have to figure out how to use them in the room you're at.

Lazymoth

Timing for IBJ is nearly at the peak of the airtime from a bomb, like 90% or 2~4 pixels short of the apex of the ascent. Try hitting the bomb button just before upwards accelleration sharply plummets.

This hack is amazing, just got Varia. Once I beat it I will make an in depth post with all my comments!

[spoiler=Bomb Torizo]At first I was confused too and had no idea what the "solution" was, but there certainly is one and it's way more interesting than just another bomb torizo fight :p It almost reminds me of what you'd have to do if bomb torizo was a zelda boss.[/spoiler]

maxipower

Stuck on Golden Torizo, only have 4 energy tanks....