News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Nominations for Top Hacks 2010

Started by Zhs2, September 13, 2010, 11:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhs2

It's that time again, Metconst! While I realize that there's still a good fourth of 2010 left to go (and hacks released in that timeframe are still completely valid, so get to it, bros!), it's never too early to offer up your opinions! The rules have changed a bit from last year's due to popular consensus, so here they are:

[spoiler=Rules 'n' stuff]
We'll be accepting several nominations for best hacks based on the community's opinions for a few special categories, as well as the best hack overall. The categories are catered to honourable mention of each of the brilliant aspects of Metroid Hacking, and are as follows:

• Best Aesthetics - The one hack that is so beautiful to look at it makes you cry
  • Most Creative Gameplay - The one hack that makes use of the most creative concept ever implemented to enhance gameplay in some form
  • Best Quick Play - The one hack that is satisfying and short at the same time
  • Best Challenge - The one hack that plays difficult time and time again, and yet keeps you coming back for more
  • Best Exploration - The one hack that immerses you completely into the environment with no hope of escape
  • Worst Hack (as needed!) - The one hack that just really stank and didn't do much else
  • Best Overall - The one hack that outshines all of the others... which will it be?

We ask that you make only one post in this topic, listing which hacks you think are the best. Additionally, you may nominate a hack for one of the specialty categories to be considered as well. Nominees can come from any of the Metroid game hack genres, be it Metroid, Super, or fangame alike! We're not picky. :^_^: We ask that you please try and play all of the nominated hacks at least a little bit so your vote is backed by experience and not just one of the few you've played. This goes mainly without saying, but it's a good point to make!

The nomination period lasts until mid-December, where afterward a vote will be held. The winners will then put together the official list to be hosted on Metroid Construction's main site along with a short article for each one and links to the hacks in question. The winners of the Top Hacks of the Year contest will also receive a small icon on their badge list on the forums as well as a medium-sized one in their collection for use elsewhere.

Please don't bring under consideration WIP hacks for the above categories, or said nominations will just be ignored. We will, however, put it under consideration for announcing in the conclusion of this year's Top Hacks endeavor!

One more thing: please don't double post or discuss in this topic! Use Talk of the Day instead to discuss votes and the like, or make a new topic in Off-Topic for discussing this topic. We don't care much on that point.
[/spoiler]

On that note, here's another (very incomplete) listing of the hacks released so far this year. If there's one we missed that you feel deserves praise, let us know with a good nomination!

Super Metroid
Halloween Hacks
Ice Metal 1: Uninstall
Metroid LOTB - Prologue
Super Metroid Final Stand
Super Metroid Platinum Hexadecimal
Super Metroid Phazon Hack
Super Metroid Starburst
Super Metroid: The Technique Trainer
∑++ (Demo)

Quietus

Unless something great comes out within the next few months, I think that while Phazon is definitely worth a run through, nothing will touch Ice Metal for pretty much anything this year.  Would you even allow Crys to scoop every single award? :razz:

EDIT: Apart from 'worst', of course... :wink:

I'll update this when the time comes.

Parabox

I think Phazon and Ice Metal will have an equal amount of prizes, as both are splendid efforts. I hope that soon enough a Top Hacks Prospect for 2011 topic rears its head.

Digital_Mantra

So far I'd have to say..

* Best Aesthetics - Sigma++

* Most Creative Gameplay - Sigma++

* Best Quick Play - Sigma++

* Best Challenge - Phazon Hack? I can't remember really.

* Best Overall - Ice Metal 1: Uninstall & Phazon Hack & Sigma++.

DSO

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on September 19, 2010, 10:00:11 AM
    * Most Creative Gameplay - That demo of cider? I'd have to play phazon and ice metal again to determine this category better.

Are demos going to be included, or only final releases?

Zhs2

Quote from: DSO
Are demos going to be included, or only final releases?
Demos are valid as they are technically valid releases.

Also, bump. Best exploration is a valid category now...

MetroidMst

Best Aesthetics: Super Metroid Phazon Hack

Most Creative Gamplay: Ice Metal

Best Quick Play: Super Metroid Final Stand

Best Challenge: Super Metroid Phazon Hack

Best Exploration: Super Metroid Phazon Hack

Best Overall: Super Metroid Phazon Hack

Silver Skree

Are we allowed to nominate our own hacks? I'd like to nominate the Sigma++ demo for all categories.

...As for the matter of actually winning any of those, we'll just have to see! :lol:

Zhs2

Bump! Only ten days of 2010 to go, Metconst! Nominate away!

Qactis

K here goes:
   * Best Aesthetics - Temporus (Demo)
   * Most Creative Gameplay - Hallow Eve
   * Best Quick Play - Event Horizon
   * Best Challenge - Final Stand. Every single room had me running for my life, until I developed a strategy for taking out mochtroids. Metroids still scared me.
   * Best Exploration - Ice Metal: Uninstall (1.24?)
   * Best Overall - Phazon Hack. Some of the best exploration, pretty decent challenge (wasn't exactly a snap, or at least you could make it hard :D), had a lot of creative gameplay (volcano, new boss rooms, creative level design, lots of prime-esque backtracking), insane graphical work (I've noticed you changed just about EVERYTHING, hell even the "S" logo behind your item percent.

Tyjet66

* Best Aesthetics - Super Metroid Phazon Hack
* Most Creative Gameplay - Grime's Halloween hack
* Best Quick Play - Grime's Halloween hackc
* Best Challenge - Ice Metal 1: Uninstall
* Best Exploration - Ice Metal 1: Uninstall
* Best Overall - Ice Metal 1: Uninstall

Crashtour99

* Best Aesthetics - Super Metroid Phazon Hack
* Most Creative Gameplay - Grime's Halloween hack
* Best Quick Play - Sadi's Halloween hack
* Best Challenge - Final Stand
* Best Exploration - Ice Metal 1: Uninstall
* Best Overall - Ice Metal 1: Uninstall

JAM

I haven't played a lot of hacks this year, so I'll nominate what I've played to best challenge:
True Boss Rush (Hard)
Super Metroid Kaizo Edition
Super Metroid Nightmare Type AABB

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot.
•Most Creative Gameplay: Cider.
There are a lot of non-standart required techiques such as underwater walljump in tiny shaft etc.

Lunaria

Should not voting start soon? :o

I mean newyear is less then a week away! :O!

Zhs2

Bump. Sorry about the delay, but I've had twelve days into the new year without FTP access and five days worth of mostly slacking and some working on this. But enough about me.

Vote away! <--- Hint: Click the text!

You have the weekdays to vote up the top hacks. Go for it, Metconst!

JAM

Actually, True Boss Rush is a hack made by KT JDDD and my hack (Nightmare) is not in list. Temporus (demo) is not in list too (Best Aesthetics).

Can we reset a vote?

Lunaria

I think we only putted up the hacks to got the most/best nominations up there rather then all, and it's a bit late to nominate now. :E

Zhs2

You're right, whoops at the name. I can go change that... I had to drop off a hack or two on the most challenging list, though, and Temporus is more than a year old so it's not valid for nomination this year. IIRC it already won the award for Most Creative Gameplay 2009 <_<

JAM

Quote from: Zhs2 on January 18, 2011, 02:18:11 PM
You're right, whoops at the name. I can go change that... I had to drop off a hack or two on the most challenging list
Ahem... I've passed almost all hacks from the best challenge list, and I'd say, if sort them by difficulty, I'd placed them is this order:
Ice Metal 1 < Sigma ++ < Phason Hack < True Boss Rush < Final Stand < Nightmare <= Kaizo Edition

So, Nightmare should be in the list, IMHO, because it's really hard if be objective.

Temporus is more than a year old so it's not valid for nomination this year. IIRC it already won the award for Most Creative Gameplay 2009 <_<
Yeah, forgot about that.

Quote from: Crys on January 18, 2011, 12:44:03 AM
I think we only putted up the hacks to got the most/best nominations up there rather then all, and it's a bit late to nominate now. :E
All 3 hacks in my post were nomitated in the same time and the same amount of times (one).

Qactis

JAM current poll was compiled according to the nominations and your hack wasn't out then :(

Lunaria

Most challenge DOES NOT EQUAL the hardest gameplay, when will people get that through their tick skulls?

JAM

Quote from: Qactis on January 18, 2011, 08:11:13 PM
JAM current poll was compiled according to the nominations and your hack wasn't out then :(
To be honest, yes. The first public version was done in 7 hours before NY if count using server time and the last version (with some tweaks) was released yesterday.

Then, I have a question. In general, could the hacks released right before NY with final version done somewhere in January be nominated on the next year, or they'll be too old for that because first version was out in past year?

Qactis

well if it couldn't make last year I guess it's technically a 2011 hack :p

JAM

Temporus is more than a year old so it's not valid for nomination this year. IIRC it already won the award for Most Creative Gameplay 2009 <_<
The voting has ended, so it's a bit late to say, but... release of Temporus was in 18.04.2010 (although, the hack trailer without any demo available was in 07.2009), and Project Base won award for Most Creative Gameplay, not Temporus

Tyjet66

Wait, where are the winners posted?