News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Super Duper Metroid

Started by Metaquarius, December 04, 2021, 11:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT-55J

Quote from: Jordo24 on December 05, 2021, 05:22:18 PM
Can you post a map spoiler?

Location spoiler
[spoiler]Look in the room in Maridia that looks like a wide "8"[/spoiler]

Jordo24

Im right underneath the boss room in maridia, but i cant seem to find a way in to it, i got the gravity suit but im still stuck on where to go.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Kremit44

After playing through the incomplete version months ago when it was uploaded it's going to be a real pleasure to see how it's been finished. The hack clearly had a ton of potential and now it seems like it's become something pretty special. It's pretty incredible how much kindness and talent is in this community. Can't wait to review it.

Ferron_77

Awesome Hack!

I took the freedom to recommend it to some friends, however they had trouble getting it to run on the SNES Classic.
Both Emu options on there, default Emu (Canoe) and Retroarch, just resulted in a black screen on rom load. They used SM JU as base, and the patched rom ran fine on PC Emu.
Is there a potential problem with their setup, or is it just inherent to the hack with it's added mirror/rando-gen options?

Jordo24

Quote from: RT-55J on December 05, 2021, 06:39:22 PM
Quote from: Jordo24 on December 05, 2021, 05:22:18 PM
Can you post a map spoiler?

Location spoiler
[spoiler]Look in the room in Maridia that looks like a wide "8"[/spoiler]

I got the gravity suit but i still cant get to the boss in maridia, should i be
Going to norfair now to jump in some lava pools?

TerraUwU

Going to Norfair right now is definitely worth your time.
With the Gravity Suit you can hell run through a large portion of the map. Especially with help of Save Stations, which fully replenish your health.
You're able to obtain [spoiler]Speed Booster[/spoiler] and [spoiler]Spring Ball[/spoiler] pretty easily as well as a few Missile upgrades and Energy Tanks, but if you go too far you may end up fighting [spoiler]Golden Torizo[/spoiler] without Varia Suit.
I recommend going to previously explored places with your newly found [spoiler]Speed Booster[/spoiler] or go back to Miridia to find some hidden pathways.

caldw3ll

How the heck do you get charge beam?

RT-55J

Assuming you know where the charge beam is but not how to get it...

Hint 1:
[spoiler]Think like Metroid 2[/spoiler]

Hint 2:
[spoiler]Look around the left side of the charge beam room[/spoiler]

Hint 3:
[spoiler]The entrance to the morph tunnel is in the room to the left of the background tunnel[/spoiler]

Jordo24

Theres a reserve tank in maridia that seems to have no way of getting to it, can anyone give me some tips?

OracleRaven

I just finished my first playthrough of the game in 5-6 hours with 85% items.

I have a few questions,
1. How do you speedboost on lava like in the trailer? I just sink like you would in the vanilla game.
2. I've been through Tourian, [spoiler]I see a number of grey doors that can't be opened even when you kill all Metroids in the room. At least one of them seems to lead to Crateria, how do you open it? I assume it has something to do with the fallen soldier in Norfair that tells you not to go to Tourian without the Morph Ball, but I can't figure out what to do. The X-Ray doesn't reveal anything.[/spoiler]
3. In Tourian, [spoiler]there's only one Mother Brain phase? No big Baby Metroid or Hyper Beam?[/spoiler]

OracleRaven

Quote from: Jordo24 on December 06, 2021, 04:30:05 PM
Theres a reserve tank in maridia that seems to have no way of getting to it, can anyone give me some tips?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, you have to get it from the room underneath. You will need Morph Ball, Gravity Suit, either Spring Ball or Bombs, and either Grapple Beam or Space Jump.

In that large room, there's a balloon enemy above the left entrance, you can grapple to it, and higher up to the right is a first section of Grapple Beam blocks, and then a second longer section of Grapple Beam blocks. You need to go into Morph Ball above those blocks (the tube-looking supports are passable). With Bombs or Spring Ball, you can go up to get to the screen that has the Reserve Tank. You either need to turn off Gravity Suit and use Charge Beam spray of Bombs to destroy a breakable block to get up to that Reserve Tank screen, or just Bomb jump up there with the Gravity Suit on. Once you're in that Reserve Tank screen, you can't access it without either Gravity Suit and Bombs or Spring Ball, to my knowledge.

True Hyper Sonic

Quote from: RT-55J on December 06, 2021, 01:58:10 PM
Assuming you know where the charge beam is but not how to get it...

Hint 1:
[spoiler]Think like Metroid 2[/spoiler]

Hint 2:
[spoiler]Look around the left side of the charge beam room[/spoiler]

Hint 3:
[spoiler]The entrance to the morph tunnel is in the room to the left of the background tunnel[/spoiler]

The problem is that the entryway to the Charge Beam Room seems to be glitched. There's an indestructible cave-in directly to the left, and the right side just gives you a peek at it. There's a Morph Ball tunnel in the hallway above, but it's glitchy, so it's not aligned correctly, and impossible to enter. Also, the Kraid door will not open for me at all.

Phazos: True Phazon deity

I have been FULLY enjoying this hack.

I don't have much in the way of complaints or issues with it otherthantosaywhoeverthoughtsuitlessmaridiawasfunneedstoseeksomehelp I am currently at this stage of the game

all bosses and mini bosses killed (Mother Brain has yet to be killed)

All major upgrades obtained.

I'm just going through trying to find the rest of the items before completing the game and I have to say they are really well hidden because i have been going to previous areas and NOTHING is turning up. Nothing obvious is revealing anything and something that would be a suspicious spot for something turns out to be absolutely nothing. I've got a bunch of items pretty much everywhere and it's just driving me a bit mad trying to find them all.
Also I love the little in game options thing especially the display change that you can do for the HUD. Been using the Prime styled HUD

RT-55J

Quote from: True Hyper Sonic on December 06, 2021, 10:09:34 PM
The problem is that the entryway to the Charge Beam Room seems to be glitched. There's an indestructible cave-in directly to the left, and the right side just gives you a peek at it. There's a Morph Ball tunnel in the hallway above, but it's glitchy, so it's not aligned correctly, and impossible to enter. Also, the Kraid door will not open for me at all.

Image spoiler for charge:
[spoiler]

In this exact spot, roll left until you fall a couple tiles down, and then roll right until you reach the Charge Beam.[/spoiler]

Regarding Kraid:
[spoiler]The door on the right side of his room is the exit to his room. Examine the rooms around him for a conspicuously damaged block (x-ray won't reveal it though, since the fireflea FX is active there (idk why either)).[/spoiler]

SirAileron

What a ride! I've, been enjoying the heck out of this. I'm missing one missile pack in Crateria, and otherwise I've beaten it and collected everything. Some of those items were pretty deviously hidden.

True Hyper Sonic

Okay, I've gotten all the essential items. But how do I advance into Tourian? When I go in, using the entrance under the Boss Statues, all I get access to is a Save Room, with a locked gray door to the right. I have no clue how to open it.

Jordo24

Ive gotten all the major upgrades  besides the ice beam, i cant seem to find where it is, can soneone give me sone tips on where to look? I thought it was in tourian but its not there.

True Hyper Sonic

Quote from: Jordo24 on December 07, 2021, 12:16:47 PM
Ive gotten all the major upgrades  besides the ice beam, i cant seem to find where it is, can soneone give me sone tips on where to look? I thought it was in tourian but its not there.
Ice Beam is in Norfair somewhere. That's where I remember getting it. Either that or Maridia. Both have a sizeable number of upgrades.

Metaquarius

Thanks for the feedback everyone ;)

Quote from: Ferron_77 on December 06, 2021, 12:16:16 PM
Awesome Hack!

I took the freedom to recommend it to some friends, however they had trouble getting it to run on the SNES Classic.
Both Emu options on there, default Emu (Canoe) and Retroarch, just resulted in a black screen on rom load. They used SM JU as base, and the patched rom ran fine on PC Emu.
Is there a potential problem with their setup, or is it just inherent to the hack with it's added mirror/rando-gen options?
Hack has been tested on ZSNES, SNES9X and real hardware. I don't know why it wouldn't work on other emus, maybe ROM size might be a reason.

Quote from: True Hyper Sonic on December 07, 2021, 12:15:51 PM
Okay, I've gotten all the essential items. But how do I advance into Tourian? When I go in, using the entrance under the Boss Statues, all I get access to is a Save Room, with a locked gray door to the right. I have no clue how to open it.
[spoiler]There is a hidden morph ball path in the vicinity[/spoiler]

Quote from: Jordo24 on December 07, 2021, 12:16:47 PM
[spoiler]Western Maridia[/spoiler]

True Hyper Sonic

Well, I finally beat it. Took over 6 hours total. Do you have a map file for this hack? It's gigantic, and confusing, and challenging as hell. Loved it, but a full map would help with speedrunning.  :cool:

cellardweller

Whew that was a great playthrough! I might have missed some relatively easy upgrades and probably did it close to backwards as possible but was fun. Now im curious about that hint.. And
[spoiler]the grey door that looks like it comes from an isolated wrecked ship area before tourian. Maybe Im taking the morph ball hint too literally, but I got to Maridia without it and just need a super missile to check if that door is open. The wall jump to get up to the grapple blocks in crateria seems next to impossible though, no idea how I pulled it off once.[/spoiler]

Metaquarius

@True Hyper Sonic
[spoiler=MAP MASSIVE SPOILER]
[spoiler=ARE YOU SUPER DUPER SURE ABOUT THIS?]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/907857587100336128/910039850361684028/super_duper_metroid.png[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

@cellardweller : [spoiler]you are the right track, now try to get your hands on a super missile. When you go back to that isolated room, you'll realize you need yet another upgrade :twisted: [/spoiler]

Blade

Is there an intended item order?
Just got Space Jump with no suits
Really nice with all the different ways one can take

Aerumnus

First time posting, and I'm just here to say that this was an incredible experience, and one I'll be repeating many times.
[spoiler]On my second playthrough, I unknowingly started playing the secret challenge (or what I think it is?), and hoo boy, I learned a lot about Maridia. It's also given me a lot of appreciation for all the subtle terrain decisions that make it possible![/spoiler]

OracleRaven

How do you get the speed-booster E-Tank in Maridia? The one encased in rock with only a 1-tile high narrow horizontal passage filled with SpeedBooster blocks? I tried going into Morph Ball from outside the room's western door and time my jumps to get into the passage, but I'm only able to break a single block and the passage spits me out. I feel like there's a technique I should use that I'm unaware of.