News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Super Duper Metroid

Started by Metaquarius, December 04, 2021, 11:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metaquarius

Super Duper Metroid is now complete ! Now using ProjectBase 0.8.1 engine.
When Daltone dropped his unfinished hack, it was roughtly missing a good chunk of Norfair and Tourian.
I took upon myself building missing parts, fixing bugs, upgrading the hack from PB 0.7 to PB 0.8 and programming some *extra* stuff.

It also comes with 2 extra in-game modes :
-> Mirror : Zebes is flipped horizontally and has a new palette;
-> Rando : All collectibles are randomized;
"Mirror" and "Rando" can be enabled pressing SELECT button on the save file screen.
I suggest trying out those game modes for subsequent playthroughs only.

Story
Defeat the brain in the jar and get out!
What?
Don't tell me you'd have preferred vengeance driven plot involving miscarriage, tsk?

Project Base Notes
- Sometimes Samus can get stuck in door caps when exiting door transitions at very slow speed -> shoot straight up or morph roll to get out.
- Revealed map squares on minimap aren't displayed corretly when switching HUD settings -> fixes itself when unpausing.
- Sometimes Samus's palette do not reset correctly when charge beam animation is interrupted -> fixes itself after a short while.
- Pause Menu "Auto-morph" setting may not work correctly in a few specific spots (sloped tunnels in particular)
- Pause Menu "Misc. > View" setting has been disabled (it led to a "coming soon" screen in PB 0.8.1)
- Speedbooster can sometimes destroy enemy pieces but not the actual enemy itself (you might see wingless ki-hunters for exemple)

Gameplay Notes
- Regular E-Tank only grants 50 health, Chozo Ball E-Tank grants 100 health.
- You can speedboost and shinespark in ball form provided you have SpeedBooster and Spring Ball equipped.
- The hack is very open, there are several Morphing Ball locations, you can get your first supers pack from several places too.
- If you find the dead guy who went to Heaven, he will give you a hint about one of the secret challenges of this hack.

Randomizer Notes
- All items are visible (none hidden in scenery)
- Pause Menu "Time-attack" setting won't show item counts per area.
- There might be some softlock situations depending on your item progression.
- You start with Morphing Ball equipped but don't forget to check old Morphing Ball locations as they could hold new items.
As such, some other item locations can be empty and some upgrades may not accessible (ex. SpeedBooster placed behind speed blockades)

Credits
- Metaquarius
- Daltone

Thanks
- Digital Mantra
- Project Base Team
- Nintendo

Download
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=671

GoldenTorizo

Jordo24

Im loving this hack! But im stuck in brinstar and i cant really explore norfair due to heated rooms, my items are Morphball
Bombs
High Jump
X ray visor
Spazer beam
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Unseen Brain

I keep finding empty item rooms. Not sure if I'm being trolled or this is intended for vanilla playthrough. lmao

Jordo24

Quote from: Unseen Brain on December 04, 2021, 03:00:20 PM
I keep finding empty item rooms. Not sure if I'm being trolled or this is intended for vanilla playthrough. lmao

Ive been getting those too, its pretty weird

Daltone

Quote from: Jordo24 on December 04, 2021, 02:44:12 PM
Im loving this hack! But im stuck in brinstar and i cant really explore norfair due to heated rooms, my items are Morphball
Bombs
High Jump
X ray visor
Spazer beam
Norfair loop, bubbles

Thanks meta your the best for doing this for me!

TheChickenHunter

You can thank Youtube's recommendation for me being here :)
I'll definitively try this out this week because the trailer looked cool and the built-in Mirror and Rando mode seem like my thing!

RT-55J

Well, I beat this, but I don't know what my time or percentage was because literally frames before that was going to display my cat sat on my mouse, causing BizHawk to crash (???). Oh, and somehow it didn't save my SRAM (don't use BizHawk, kids).

My rough estimate is about 87% in, like, 5 hours maybe.

5/5 orbs, top shelf hack, flawless victory, congrats meta & daltone, etc., etc.

[spoiler]Angry at myself that I could have easily done the DPRK boss order for my first playthrough if I hadn't chickened out of it halfway through.[/spoiler]

I'm pretty this hack has multiple spawn points for the morph ball.

LetsPlayNintendoITA

Quote from: Jordo24 on December 04, 2021, 03:24:51 PM

Ive been getting those too, its pretty weird
"- The hack is very open, there are several Morphing Ball locations, you can get your first supers pack from several places too."
I guess MB and SM are not the only ones that have that.

RobbWes

Is there box art for this hack for use with the snes classic?

Nicholas Steel

Quote from: RT-55J on December 04, 2021, 07:14:03 PM
Well, I beat this, but I don't know what my time or percentage was because literally frames before that was going to display my cat sat on my mouse, causing BizHawk to crash (???). Oh, and somehow it didn't save my SRAM (don't use BizHawk, kids).

My rough estimate is about 87% in, like, 5 hours maybe.

5/5 orbs, top shelf hack, flawless victory, congrats meta & daltone, etc., etc.

[spoiler]Angry at myself that I could have easily done the DPRK boss order for my first playthrough if I hadn't chickened out of it halfway through.[/spoiler]
Config > Customize > Advanced > select "AutoSaveRAM" and set it to say 5 minutes. Without this the emulator will only write save data to the HDD when correctly closing.

Edit: After playing for a short while one of the things that's bugging me a lot is that there are is a ton of blind falling early on (place to land isn't visible). Also the map doesn't center on where you are when you view it.

ianfrombristol

I've only just started playing this hack but I can already tell the attention to detail is out of this world.  A welcome distraction to playing Dread  :grin:

caldw3ll

Does anyone know where to go after you get wave beam? I can't seem to find anything.

Metaquarius

Quote from: RobbWes on December 04, 2021, 10:33:58 PM
Is there box art for this hack for use with the snes classic?
Not yet but a designer is working on the cover atm.

Quote from: caldw3ll on December 05, 2021, 11:08:24 AM
Does anyone know where to go after you get wave beam? I can't seem to find anything.
Wave Beam opens a path in underwater Maridia, but that's not the only place you can go really.
Super (duper) missile is the most important upgrade to get right now if you don't have it yet.
[spoiler]There are several packs hidden around and they require a bit of exploration to find, there are not locked behind a boss that is.[/spoiler]

Jordo24

Quote from: Daltone on December 04, 2021, 03:40:21 PM
Quote from: Jordo24 on December 04, 2021, 02:44:12 PM
Bombs
High Jump
X ray visor
Spazer beam
Norfair loop, bubbles

Thanks meta your the best for doing this for me!

Can you elaborate on what you mean by Norfair loop, bubbles?

RT-55J

There's a loop of unheated rooms you can explore in Norfair. There's some stuff there that you might enjoy having.

Jordo24

I cant find any items, all i can find is the miniboss doir, but im too weak to kill him

UPDATE: i got the charge beam then i defeated the miniboss and got the grapple beam, then i killed Kraid
But now im not sure where to go, also Kraid didnt give me any major upgrades.

Any help will be appreciated!

Metaquarius

Quote from: Jordo24 on December 05, 2021, 01:54:01 PM
I cant find any items, all i can find is the miniboss doir, but im too weak to kill him

UPDATE: i got the charge beam then i defeated the miniboss and got the grapple beam, then i killed Kraid

[spoiler]Kraid gives Wave Beam, look for a flashing grey door further down Red Brinstar[/spoiler]

Zombie Com

Anybody know where varia is? Or am I on the right track in thinking I literally need to kill screw attack torizo in order to get it?

Zombie Com

Quote from: Zombie Com on December 05, 2021, 04:41:53 PM
Anybody know where varia is? Or am I on the right track in thinking I literally need to kill screw attack torizo in order to get it?
lol literally just found it. nvm

Jordo24

Quote from: Metaquarius on December 05, 2021, 03:32:35 PM

[spoiler]Kraid gives Wave Beam, look for a flashing grey door further down Red Brinstar[/spoiler]

I got the wave beam but im still stuck, i cant explore maridia fully or norfair fully since i dont have any suits
Ive been stuck for like an hour, can you give me a hint or some tips?

Zombie Com

Quote from: Jordo24 on December 05, 2021, 05:10:26 PM

I got the wave beam but im still stuck, i cant explore maridia fully or norfair fully since i dont have any suits
You actually need to explore maridia a bit more. You'll find what you're looking for there even though you don't have any suits.

Jordo24

Quote from: Zombie Com on December 05, 2021, 05:15:10 PM

You actually need to explore maridia a bit more. You'll find what you're looking for there even though you don't have any suits.

Can you post a map spoiler?

Zombie Com

Quote from: Jordo24 on December 05, 2021, 05:22:18 PM
Quote from: Zombie Com on December 05, 2021, 05:15:10 PM

Can you post a map spoiler?

I don't have a screenshot on hand sorry. It is hidden pretty well, but it's in a room with mocktroids. You're looking for a boss door.