News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid: Odyssey of Aran Demo

Started by caldw3ll, September 10, 2021, 08:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caldw3ll

Thought I'd finally make a forum thread since this is (hopefully) the final update to the demo.
...Unless there are more bugs I need to squish.

(NOTE: WALL-JUMPING IS NOT REQUIRED AND USING IT TO GET ITEMS EARLY MAY MAKE CERTAIN STORY-BEATS PLAY OUT-OF-ORDER. Use caution, because even though I tried to account for as much sequence-breaking as possible, I might have missed a few soft-locks!)

METROID: ODYSSEY OF ARAN

Metroid: Odyssey of Aran is a story-based exploration hack. This is a demo of what will eventually be the full experience.

The game takes place before Samus is done training with the Chozo. She has almost mastered the use of her powersuit, but the Chozo give her one final test to make sure she is ready. A research facility on Zebes has recently been experiencing a series of tremors and such in the mines below their ore processing plant. Two days ago, an SOS was sent out. Comms have been silent ever since. Samus arrives at the mines, and prepares for her final test.

This is my first hack, so certain things are pretty shit. Please be gentle.

If you want to follow the hack's progress, among other things, join my Discord Server.

Features:

• Beams can reveal breakable tiles!
  • New Beam Upgrade!
  • Unconventional Upgrade Order!
  • Slightly More Focus On Story!
  • Speed-Booster Can Destroy Bomb Blocks!
  • Lots of Shortcuts!
  • Bugs (see also: insects)!
  • Bugs (see also: glitches)!
  • Custom Intro Text and Music!
  • Secret not-canon-to-the-plot upgrades!
  • Post-game content!

Stuff That I will probably add in the final release:

• Custom Music.
  • Ability to place power-bombs without morph-ball.
  • Custom chozo map-hints.
  • Way more rooms.
  • Maybe have entirely custom tilesets??
  • Ability to use chozo statue recharge without morph-ball.
  • uhhhhhh custom objects????
  • Resolution to the plot.

Credits:

• Testing - The Brothers Crafters#8910, Conner#4315
  • ZMHT - Cosmic
  • Screw Attack/ Shinespark damage asm - Raygun
  • Projectiles continue off-screen asm - Raygun
  • Intro text OEM guide - somerando(caauyjdp)

Changelog:

• v0.1 - Demo initial release.
  • v0.2 - Fixed certain softlocks.
  • v0.3 - Made it so that beams reveal breakable tiles.
  • v0.4 - Made early speed booster ever so slightly harder to do, since people were breaking sequence without even realizing, and then ended up being confused on where to go.
  • v0.5 - Added slight deceleration when samus is falling.

LetsPlayNintendoITA

Hey my man can't wait to play it soon!
I also made a map for it and will update with next updates
[spoiler][/spoiler]

gr8tmaker

hey caldw3ll, nice hack so far, but can you somehow improve controls over Samus they feel "clunky to me and it's not very smooth to play like that. also when falling from a ledge or falling from it, Samus moves too much forward even when i let go of the direction i'm facing, she still keeps moving in that direction, please fix that, overall so far, it really coming along, job very well done so far.

caldw3ll

Quote from: gr8tmaker on September 12, 2021, 02:37:29 PM
hey caldw3ll, nice hack so far, but can you somehow improve controls over Samus they feel "clunky to me.

Check the latest version. Hopefully that's good.

gr8tmaker

LetsPlayNintendoITA