News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Talk of the Day

Started by squishy_ichigo, May 15, 2009, 11:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

personitis

Quietus

Are you referring to FirePhoenix browsing the forum?  I suppose that just because he quit hacking doesn't mean he's lost interest in playing?

Smiley

Fuuuuu-

Got Skyrim. Paid €46.95 for it.
Turns out my PC can't properly run it, even though it meets and exceeds the minimum system requirements.

Quietus

Woah! :whoa:

That's nearly double what it costs here!  And I thought England was expensive. :^_^:

Smiley

Allright, so I'm determined to get Skyrim running smoothly on medium settings, or at least on low. Anyone mind telling me what I need to upgrade?
[spoiler=Mah system specs][/spoiler]
I'm going to get 1 or 2 gigabytes more RAM (2GB just isn't enough), but I'm not sure what else I need to upgrade. Help?
Hope I don't need anything too expensive.

Parabox

I dunno about them express chipsets, bro.

Quietus

Yeah.  Without digging too much into things, especially since I'm no guru on these things, it looks like you're running on an integrated graphics setup, which is a complete no-no for PC games.  You'd need to really look into getting a dedicated graphics card.  I can't see your RAM being a problem at 2GB, as that's pretty much the same as me.

Smiley

I've been doing some quick searching around a certain website with graphics cards, using this for help, and found some possible cards:

MSI GeForce GT 220, 1GB DDR2, VGA/HDMI/DVI, PCI-E, €78
Palit GeForce GTS 450, 512MB GDDR5, VGA/DVI/HDMI, PCI-E, €99
Asus AMD Radeon HD 6450, 1GB DDR3, passive, Low Profile, PCI-E, €58
Asus AMD Radeon HD 6570, 1GB DDR3, VGA/HDMI/DVI, Low Profile, €89 (says "ASUS Gamer OSD" in it's description; does it mean it's for gaming?)

I absolutely suck at this technical jibba-jabba. Are any of those good choices? By budget is kinda low, so I really don't want to go spending €500 on those hyper-powerful cards.

Zhs2

I've had a 6570 for a good while, and it served me well (It was an MSI-branded card; this may affect your performance and experience only slightly when buying from another vendor.) The current card in my computer is a Diamond AMD Radeon 6750. (Sadly I know nothing about nothing about nVidia cards, but AMD cards can do what they do anyway, so...)

Also, lol @ integrated graphics. Depending on the system you have there, if you don't have a PCI-E x16 slot on your mobo, you'll probably have to get a new system anyway....!

Zhs2

I recommend hard drives in the terabyte sizes when they get cheaper. They are much faster than those pitiful <500GB drives.

snarfblam

399.... $399? My 1.5 TB HD cost about $100 iirc.

But since when are larger hard drives significantly faster? I think RPM is what really matters. Or you could buy an SSD like me. Just be aware that they have a reputation for failing after a few years if you use them for your pagefile because they can only take so many writes (supposedly they become read-only).

Zhs2

The larger the space of the hard drive, the more speed-per-dollar you earn than investing in a better CPU or more RAM since the data takes up less physical space on a larger hard drive. The heads don't have to travel quite as far to reach through the same amount of data as on a smaller hard drive, resulting in less wear-and-tear as well. As a plus, a full hard drive is only a fraction of the speed an empty one is; the longer it takes to fill up said hard drive, the more performance you earn from the same drive over time, which is why larger hard drives win out. (This is not to say you should fill up your hard drives, though. You should be backing up your stuff onto an external or a cloudspace regularly anyway.)

snarfblam

Quote from: Zhs2 on December 15, 2011, 06:42:41 PM
The heads don't have to travel quite as far to reach through the same amount of data as on a smaller hard drive
This is what I thought you were getting at, and where higher RPM really makes a bigger difference (or SSD).

Smiley

Caught a bad flu. I have to blow my nose every 10 minutes or so to breath freely. Damn. :stern:
Thankfully the holidays start soon. And I'm getting a proper graphics card for Christmas :^_^:

Charmander106

Happy B-day Crashtour! :D

Feel older? :3

Smiley

http://features.peta.org/mario-kills-tanooki/
:>_>:
I wonder why PETA doesn't say anything about all those turtles...

Quietus

That story was made even more amusing by the fact that some muppets took it seriously, and complained. :lol:

Power Missile

PETA's that type of company that will go to radical extremes to attract attention.  That's all these idiots do, waste money on advertising rather than helping out animals.

Katelyn

Quote from: Power Missile on December 20, 2011, 07:38:54 PM
PETA's that type of company that will go to radical extremes to attract attention.  That's all these idiots do, waste money on advertising rather than helping out animals.

PETA's animal kill rate is higher than their adoption rate.

Crashtour99

Quote from: Webber1900 on December 20, 2011, 08:05:14 AM
Happy B-day Crashtour! :D
Feel older? :3
Thanks!  :D

And yes.  :S
[spoiler]So very true...

[/spoiler]

Quietus

personitis

Happy holidays/merry Christmas! :cheers:

Also just watched the movie Paul and about died from laughter.

wiiqwertyuiop

I just got The Skyward Sword (and a wii remote with the wii motion plus built inside), and I must say I'm quite excited to play it after hearing the reviews on it.