News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Hyper Metroid

Started by RealRed, April 17, 2015, 11:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liamnajor

@Digital_Mantra what does it mean? I'm guessing it's funny if you know hex/ASM/whatever that actually is.

Boomerang

Quote from: liamnajor on October 18, 2017, 07:51:54 PM
@Digital_Mantra what does it mean? I'm guessing it's funny if you know hex/ASM/whatever that actually is.

Not quite. Lemme break it down for ya:

EF F0 0FF.
EFF0FF.
EFF 0FF.

B^)

El_Kaiser_Rojo

Really like the hack, something I was wondering is there a problem with save states? My emulator keeps saying it's unable to.

ReptileMonster

I like the hack, but the first moments landing on Zebus were confusing, and the default controls caught me off guard, since i'm use to the normal game's defaults.
Just personnel nitpicks.
Also: Why is this game so damn dark?

VirtueAvatar

I just finished a replay of Hyper Metroid from start to finish, after having played sometime last year or the year before and just failing the escape sequence by seconds last time.

Remembering the escape sequence from last time filled me with dread in getting to it this time. If I recall correctly, I had some dramas by accidentally finding the animals, getting locked in that room, and not being able to figure out how to save them and get out of the room again. I had a look at a let's play that someone else made specifically to avoid this, but it looked like it was almost identical to Super Metroid's save the animals room, so I don't remember what I did wrong.

This time I decided to avoid that room altogether because I never finished Hyper Metroid because of it last time and that was my only goal this time. 10 minutes of stress inducing escape from start to finish.

I beat it with about 36 seconds to spare, and I loved it.

RealRed

:archie:

@foosda finally watched your 11% run. I want to extend a formal apology for the astoundingly weak charge beams, but I suppose I shouldn't. I (albeit unintentionally) left a near-unbeatable challenge, and you have both discovered and achieved 11%. Bravo, sir. I admire your determination.

Aran;Jaeger

10% has long ago been confirmed being technically possible aswell, by skipping Springball (using bombs with turned off Gravity to get to 1 gate in Norfair, and with a complicated IBJ setup one can also get through the tunnel to Speedbooster). But skipping Springball would make Ridley even harder (or would make it a grind to get him stuck).

Mentlegen

Hey everyone, just had a burning question:

When a gate is unlocked, the message displays how many gates are left to be unlocked.

this got me thinking, is there an order to unlock the gates? and if so, is it possible to unlock them out of order?

I need to know

MetroidNerd#9001

It does not matter what order you unlock the gates in. The message box will always display the number left correctly regardless of the order.

foosda

thanks, @RealRed . I tried to do a low% playthrough when I first played the hack 3 years ago, and the best I could do was 698 shots on ridley (and that was back when I thought low% was 3 etanks). I'm glad I finally finished it.

fraZ0R

Is it intended for me to not take damage in lava with the varia suit, but not the gravity suit? I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be able to be done until i get gravity, but i'm able to be in norfair's lava just fine with only varia

mccad

Quote from: fraZ0R on June 04, 2018, 05:37:56 PM
Is it intended for me to not take damage in lava with the varia suit, but not the gravity suit? I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be able to be done until i get gravity, but i'm able to be in norfair's lava just fine with only varia
Yep, that's an intended change

cazort

Quote from: El_Kaiser_Rojo on October 19, 2017, 02:07:32 PM
Really like the hack, something I was wondering is there a problem with save states? My emulator keeps saying it's unable to.

I've used save states with it just fine, using zsnes on linux.

There can be a problem with corrupting the memory if you load a save state from an unhacked version (or a different hack) but this is the only problem Iv'e noticed with save states.

metasamus

I love this hack, one of the best hacks with a new map to explore, if it were used only new graphics for the whole game this would be the best hack created! fortunately there were new graphics as well as maria and norfair I definitely loved it!

GaRan

This hack is so awesome! The new weapon system is nice :D

PS: a TAS is done :D
[spoiler]https://youtu.be/IStSFcIas6k[/spoiler]

Tower

i love your speed run.It showed me so many things i didnt yet know about this game.

Quietus

Great run, GaRan. It's always amusing to see the TAS abusing the speed booster, even though you get it so late here. My only disappointment was that it wasn't a 100% run. Maybe next time? :^_^:

piush

I got around to playing this hack the last few days.   Playing Cliffhanger Redux helped with learning moves so I can now attempt all the hacks on this site.  I liked the open world of this game and the ability to sequence break. Lots of hidden items and the graphics were excellent. It had a good balance of not being over hard but required watching your ammo so you would not run out in a fight. I know nothing about hacking but I appreciate all the hard work you did to make this, Red.  I love playing Super Metroid and thanks to all the hackers contributing to Metroid Construction.

M1CR0H4CK3R

Hey. I'm stuck; I got my first PB pack after I got Speed Booster, but shortly after I got the pack after Botwoon (which I assume is the intended first pack), I lost the ability to use PBs, as in, I cannot select them in the status bar. I saved in-game, and reloaded, and now the icon is gone! I think that was the last pack available to me for the time being as well.

Is there an address in RAM that says which status bar icons are selectable? I'm pretty sure I've found it before, but I cannot remember where I found out about it at. If I could change that, I might be able to finish the game. I would really hate to start over. Thanks.

M1CR0H4CK3R

Just played through 2 times (I started over), and this is the result of my second playthrough:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

I think I did decent, actually. The hack was well-designed. I like how gates 1, 4, 7, 10, and 13 are required for Screw Attack, that they are ones that are gotten naturally from gameplay (and thus are required for normal progression), and that they are mathematically represented as 1+3+3+3+3 (which means that they are in increments of 3, starting with #1). Very organized and well thought out. My rating is 4.7/5.0, which means that it tops my rating of Metroid Mission Rescue (4.3), and knocks Phazon Hack off of my top 3 favorite hacks (sorry, Red-M0nk3y). Sig update time!  :grin: :lol: :grin: :lol:

M1CR0H4CK3R

New record!

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Note: My PC is a tiny bit too slow to record my gameplay (inputs record incorrectly, resulting in an incorrect .smv/.zmv). I tried recording, and completed the game with 2:09 time, but while playing it back afterward, I returned to the video at about 20 minutes in and found out I died. I played it again, watching it this time, and found out that I died in the room where 'fake mother brain' was in M1 against those gliding enemies after getting morph and missiles due to a precise set of jumps I made in order to clear each gap in one jump each in quick succession being recorded incorrectly.

Ethgar

Finally got a chance to play this, but I think I've possibly got a game breaking bug. I've run into a door that is grey, killing all enemies does not open it. I started looking at walkthrough videos and, the door is blue in every video I've seen. The door is rather early in Brinstar. Unless the version I'm playing is drastically different than the ones in the videos I've watched.

LiquidDreams

^Screenshot is too small, can't see.

M1CR0H4CK3R

Quote from: LiquidDreams on June 22, 2019, 11:44:47 AM
Much ado about sarcasm. :P

Edit: Also, why does he have PBs at that point? Doesn't he know that if you get the intended initial pack last, you cannot use PBs at all because the icon goes away?

Ethgar

Quote from: M1CR0H4CK3R on June 22, 2019, 06:56:48 PM
Quote from: LiquidDreams on June 22, 2019, 11:44:47 AM
Much ado about sarcasm. :P

Edit: Also, why does he have PBs at that point? Doesn't he know that if you get the intended initial pack last, you cannot use PBs at all because the icon goes away?

First time playing. Also, turns out I wasn't playing the original version, was playing someone's non-linear modded version of the hack. Not sure why that door is grey in that version or how to open it. But downloaded the original Hyper Metroid instead and enjoying it much more.