News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2014 - Archives

Started by Quote58, April 19, 2012, 09:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan5

Well they kinda did save Samus on the BSL Space Station in Fusion.

Quietus

MetroidMst for me this week.  Everything seems to work together well, though my suggestion for the right-hand ledge still stands. :^_^:

Vismund Cygnus

MetroidMst for me too. That palette pops really nicely, it's all really well blended and fits together surprisingly well despite the clashing colours used.

Grim's is not bad, but I can't really understand how it works as a room, that is, where are the entrances/exits? I'm sure it makes more sense in game of course, but I don't get it.

Retro's is trippy in a cool way, but it loses points for visible BTS, and erroneous BTS at that.

Jefe, my main concern is that there's no way you'd see those spikes entering the room. You've created what's essentially a really annoying hard-hack type room there. Think of how pissed you'd be entering on low health only to fall into those spikes that you simply can't see. It's very poor design. Additionally, the bottom-right corner of the room serves no purpose whatsoever.

Grimlock

Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on October 21, 2014, 09:55:54 PM

Grim's is not bad, but I can't really understand how it works as a room, that is, where are the entrances/exits? I'm sure it makes more sense in game of course, but I don't get it.

Yea, some rooms make more sense in game.  Basically this is a short cave passageway on the way to the boss.  You enter at the top right (roll in), exit at the bottom right (roll out).

I was actually going to post one of my fancy rooms but figured I'd leave it for discovery in game.  This one turned out kind of neat though with the spiky flow of it.  It's actually going to be reworked some, I haven't started polishing up my Kraid area yet so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal to put it out there. 

Tough competition, I might have to vote against myself this week  :whoa: . I was thinking I might get by up against the smurf blue but MST and Retro pulled a last minute sneak attack...  :mad:

Digital_Mantra

Voted Retro for interesting tileset concepts. Though I wanted to vote for Mst, cause that room feels very playable.

Jiffy

Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on October 21, 2014, 09:55:54 PM
MetroidMst for me too. That palette pops really nicely, it's all really well blended and fits together surprisingly well despite the clashing colours used.

Retro's is trippy in a cool way, but it loses points for visible BTS, and erroneous BTS at that.

Jefe, my main concern is that there's no way you'd see those spikes entering the room. You've created what's essentially a really annoying hard-hack type room there. Think of how pissed you'd be entering on low health only to fall into those spikes that you simply can't see. It's very poor design. Additionally, the bottom-right corner of the room serves no purpose whatsoever.

Well I have the shutter enemy that goes across the room and 2 missiles with Charge Beam. :^_^:

Retroo

Quietus

That does seem a little harsh.  Surely it'd make more sense to just leave it off the table? :^_^:

Alisa Orlova

Quote from: Quietus on October 22, 2014, 10:27:39 AM
That does seem a little harsh.  Surely it'd make more sense to just leave it off the table? :^_^:
He is a bidder, so he must be in my table! Maybe someday he will think: "For f**k's sake, zero... it's sucks! Just like all in my life! Probably I should try to make some SNES rooms". Or something like this, i don't quite sure. :<_<:

Grimlock

Quote from: Quietus on October 22, 2014, 10:27:39 AM

Well to be fair Alisa does accurately represent the number of votes I've gotten so far  :lol: :cry:

SpoOkyMagician

@Jefe: I like the overall room design. The tiling could of used some work/tweaks but, eh. (I am nitpicking.)

@Grimlock: For submitting a NES Metroid Room, I respect that. I see things that I can nitpick as well but whatever... I love this room design though.

@MST: Well designed room. Excellent job.

@Retro: I have mixed feelings about this room design. For some reason, the bottom tiles bugs me. It's a cavern type environment with pipes, blocks, etc. The room itself looks good but... *shrugs* Maybe I am just nitpicking still.

As if my use of the word three times isn't obvious enough, I am very picky. :<_<: Sadly, I already voted before writing this post. Although, I still believe I made the right choice. I voted Grimlock's room. (It's a NES room. I respected that.) I seen the poll results though. (I do agree that he should win however.)

~ SpoOkyMagician

Retroo

I like MSTs room becuse it makes you think.

MetroidMst

ALRIGHT. THIS IS SERGEANT SUCKFEST HERE TO CLEAN OUT THE DIRTY DISHES OF YOUR STAINS ON INTERNET HISTORY.

[spoiler][spoiler=Jibberwibblesock]Well well well, we have here a cry for help from a helplessly underage street thug. Just look at his room, IT IS AS GREEN AS HIS LIFE EXPERIENCE! This may also mean we are cursed with his presence for a while, but hey, WHEN SOMEONE POSTS A ROOM WORTH LAUGHING AT, IT IS WORTH LAUGHING AT! Maybe if he spiked his drink a little more he might turn out something that doesn't look like a tomato had bad constipation.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Grimluck]My one nemesis. The only person that has proven himself to be able to make a room worthy of not being called absolute dumpage. This room reminds me of the 50s, since all those pointy rocks remind me of pointy bras. WHAT HAPPENS WHEN IT COMES OFF? AT THAT POINT YOU DON'T REALLY CARE BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO BUSY TRYING TO VISUALLY SCALE THE TWIN PEAKS OF WONDER. For some reason, this slightly intrigues me in frightening ways. I believe this room is secretly his attempt at mind control by influencing. . . Hold on I have some adult things to attend to Jiffy. Wait a second. . . I have never seen Girmany use bubbles. . . ARE YOU TRYING TO HIDE THAT FACT BEHIND YOUR FACADE OF 8-BIT WANNA BE 50s BRA BOOBAGE?[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Retrosmubby]Again with the lack of drippy pipes. . . How can you. . . I thought we had something, AND THEN YOU DECIDED TO TAKE A VACUUM TO SMILE AND SUCK ALL THE GOOD OUT OF IT. The only thing more disappointing is that the palette is so vanilla, it turned chocolate. Chocolate makes you live longer. WHO WANTS TO LIVE LONGER TO SEE THINGS WITHOUT DRIPPY PIPES? Think of the people you are depriving![/spoiler]
[spoiler=The People's Republic of the Winner]If it wasn't obvious how much my entry outclassed the lowly competition this week, you're blind and in denial. There are only four subliminal messages in this room. The only one I will give away is this: Orange you going to vote for it yet?[/spoiler][/spoiler]

THAT'S RIGHT YOU UNDIGESTED PIECES OF BROCCOLI! You have yet to really reach and understand the true meaning of the word "good," so for now, lettuce stick to trying to "not be bad."

Grimlock

So they say a picture says a thousand words, ok, I'll go with that since I'm in a more pictorial mood today.  Lets explore this weeks submissions....

Jefe the blue:

We held a vote and unanimously decided to start feeding your weekly submissions to the ungodly, unmentionable, insatiable, smurf devourer:
[spoiler]

Also as continued punishment for spamming smurf blue you're on indefinite diaper duty!  :twisted:

[/spoiler]

MST  Mr. holiday spirit!

That's right, first he bestowed upon us the great pumpkin head and now for our continued Halloween enjoyment:
[spoiler]

See I know what's going on here, you've subliminally tapped into everyone's Halloween spirit driving votes to your room!!!  :<_<:

[/spoiler]

Retro the green:

Some times its fun to just randomly outline stuff, IN GREEN no less....   :nod:
[spoiler]

It looked like you needed a little help......  :grin:   :wink:

Me do good?  :neutral:

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
Thus ends my 15 minutes of Photoshop fun.... oh, I forgot to mention I ended up feeding my vote to the smurf devourer, it accidently fell in while Jefes room was being rabidly consumed!
[/spoiler]

Retroo

That is the best reviews ever. Please do the same next week! =) (Grimlock)

Jiffy

[spoiler=Next week begins][/spoiler]

Quietus

That room looks OK, but the filler tiles don't seem to mix with the rocky edges as well as they could, mainly because the colours differ so much.

Jordan5

[spoiler=because jiffy needed a friend][/spoiler]

Quietus

Try and remember to randomise the filler tiles, rather than just adding a loop of each shade. :^_^:

Kte

Rooms without doors!  What is this? Metroid 2?

Quietus

Neither really grabs me this week, so I've voted for Jordan based solely on the fact that Jefe's background tiles look so dark.  They're almost impossible to see, as they just look so black.

personitis

[spoiler=jefe]
Maybe I'm seeing this wrong, but what is that bright green in your rocks? Not fitting imo. It's also not appealing how the non-Crateria rocks just suddenly cut off when entering the filler tiles. Additionally, I'm finding the palette somewhat offsetting.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Jordan]
Volta? Volta. I like the simplicity of this room even though I can't quite place why... My only gripe is not being able to see the top two twos of tiles but that's whatever.
[/spoiler]
Not much to vote on this week so Jordan gets mine.

Vismund Cygnus

Voted for Jordan because I forgot my entry and it looks the most like something I would make. Volta, and Volta is purdy.
Jefe, you gotta fix up that transition from the import tiles to the vanilla, it looks bleh as it is.

I have something special for next week...