News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2014 - Archives

Started by Quote58, April 19, 2012, 09:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetroidMst

TobiMikami

*Not sure if MST just made an entry or clever gif*

Grimlock

Yes, he's unveiling his new Super Mario themed hack:

"Super Metroid - Wart's Invasion"

(In no way related to the NEStroid hack "Metroid - Wart's Invasion")

Quietus

Vismund for me.  I love the alien world feel it has. :^_^:

Retroo

vismund for me.

tobimikamis room is bad the cre looks bad with the tiles and the tiles already look bad

gohans room would be good if it was green not ugly RED

Grimlock

Vismund: 
[spoiler]You certainly got my attention with the look of your room this week.  The surreal look is intriguing.  I'm interested to see where you take this in your final product.  This is stock graphics with the colors altered right?  The stock graphics are bland in general but surprisingly you brought some new life to them with your changes.[/spoiler]

Tobi: 
[spoiler]I like the neon effect of your custom textures.  Unfortunately the tube graphic doesn't match the effect, I would alter the colors or redo the graphics entirely to fit your environment.  I see what you're doing with the roundness of the walls/floors but the two walls that come together above the statue appear to be mirrored in shape and it takes away significantly from the naturalness and believability of the environment.  You may want to break up the other rounded sides a bit, add some variation to create a more natural look.[/spoiler]

Gohan: 
[spoiler]You gave the player several choices as to which direction they can take, this gives some freedom of movement.  I think the redness is somewhat extreme by itself.  You could add a variation if possible, maybe a marble effect of light red and darker red.  Really though it might be best to incorporate another color into your room other than red.  Also red and green are opposing colors and clash pretty harshly, I would change the plants to purple or something along those lines and see how it looks, maybe make some more changes after that until you find something you like. [/spoiler]

My vote goes to:
[spoiler]Vismund, Congrats, for everyone else Congrats [/spoiler]

X-tradyte

Quote from: retroknuckles on September 15, 2014, 09:56:57 AM
vismund for me.

tobimikamis room is bad the cre looks bad with the tiles and the tiles already look bad

gohans room would be good if it was green not ugly RED
Many people dig the red, so it's not that it's ugly. It's the other palettes that bother me.. I was trying to make the blue look good with the red.. the plants are green because they are plants.

Brinstar is one of the trickiest palettes to deal with.. So this is a good looking palette for brin. It's red because green is vanilla. No worries though, I intend to release a vanilla version (how i intended palettes and the game to be played) As well as a recolor for those people that like custom pretty palettes. :P

Digital_Mantra

Quote from: Quietus on September 15, 2014, 04:27:17 AM
Vismund for me.  I love the alien world feel it has. :^_^:
Quoted because that is literally what I was about to type.

MetroidMst

Quote from: Gohan on September 15, 2014, 11:18:19 AM
Many people dig the red, so it's not that it's ugly.
Yes, it is, and anyone who disagrees loves this: [spoiler][/spoiler]
You literally just made the worst tileset in the game, except in Brinstar form. (And slightly more RED)

So this is a good looking palette for brin.
No. It isn't. This is bad. Go back to the palette board and make it gray-scale. (Would be a massive improvement.)

X-tradyte

Quote from: MetroidMst on September 15, 2014, 11:28:09 AM
Many people dig the red, so it's not that it's ugly.
Yes, it is, and anyone who disagrees loves this: [spoiler][/spoiler]
You literally just made the worst tileset in the game, except in Brinstar form. (And slightly more RED)

So this is a good looking palette for brin.
No. It isn't. This is bad. Go back to the palette board and make it gray-scale. (Would be a massive improvement.)
I can see how Eppy and you dont get along now, Lol. I already know about your dislike for red crateria, and he thinks it looks good.

Honestly, i like it too. Be happy that grapple is the first time after morphball.

MetroidMst

If you have to use Eppy as a crutch, you probably should be interred into some mental asylum. If you think that vomit-pile is a piece of art, there's nothing stopping you from that. Doesn't change it being a pile of puke.

Vismund Cygnus

Many people dig the red, so it's not that it's ugly. It's the other palettes that bother me.. I was trying to make the blue look good with the red.. the plants are green because they are plants.

Brinstar is one of the trickiest palettes to deal with.. So this is a good looking palette for brin. It's red because green is vanilla.
Brinstar is actually quite easy to do IMO, simply because it looks fine if there's some saturation, and the gradients on the palette are also pretty easy to work out in terms of what looks good (except for on that damned background, half of the time I end up making it barfy).
The blue will not go with that red, because the red is way too saturated when compared with the background, plain and simple. For the background to look like it fits in with it, you'd need to turn the blue way up, at which point it would be borderline headache inducing. My advice: tinker with the red a bit, tone it down and see if you can find something less overly red, and perhaps set up the background a bit better (on my screen all I can see is the glowing red parts and a very, very faint blue line here and there).
One last thing: Saying the plants are green because they're plants is silly, especially when Green Brinstar looks like one great big plant, which is now a great big red plant. They just stick out in a really strange way.

Tobi, my only advice for you would be to modify the door tube palette a bit, and add some background loving, however I'm gonna go out on a whim and assume there's a BG_Pointer background.  :^_^:

Jiffy

Starting off the new week; honestly I think I worked too hard.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

MetroidMst

Your tears sustain my being. Or is it Zorfnal's being they sustain?

[spoiler=Zorfnal][/spoiler]

Quietus

Jefe: While the spikes near the right-hand door are fine, I'd suggest either lowering them by one tile, or placing a lip above and to the right of them.  This way, any player running into the room from the right doesn't run straight on to the spikes.  If you lowered them, the player would likely sail over them, and having a lip would just stop the player's movement.

Jiffy

TobiMikami

Jefe's room is pretty good, I like the palette. Door tiles have a good start but could use a bit of work in my opinion, but still really good job so far. MST's room is alright, I mean, I've seen better MST rooms, and better Maridia rooms in general, but the chozo statue is pretty creative. Eris's room looks like it could be from the vanilla game, which is my main gripe about it, it's too vanilla. If I didn't know SM as well as I do I would wonder if that was an original room or not. Vanilla graphics aren't bad, but they do take extra work to get as much ambiance.

Quietus

Jefe with an easy win for me this week.  Nice use of colours, and the room has nooks and crannies that beg to be explored.  My only gripe, and it's a minor one, is the exposed grapple block on the right-hand end of the bottom floating ledge.  Unless it's a single grapple block on the bottom end of something, like it's hanging, they always look odd to me if they aren't surrounded by blocks.

Edit: Not that I can vote.  Fix, please! :heheh:

Quote58

Dunno why snarf left it locked there quietus, but until I know why it would be, I've unlocked it.

Digital_Mantra

jefe for obvious reasons.
msts room looks cool, but all his rooms do, even tho the majority of them make little sense as a picture.
erisclouddude is learning.

TheAnonymousUser

Jiffy wins my vote this week.
As Tobi said, mst's room is okay, but I've seen better from him.
As for that other guy, it feels like a vanilla room almost (as Tobi said). My only concern is, although you won't see it in-game, it looks odd to cut off the door tube on the top (that could break using green scrolls?).
Quote from: Digital_Mantra on September 23, 2014, 03:24:09 AM
erisclouddude is learning.
^This. It's not a bad start, but I know that a lot more can be done with this room.