News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2014 - Archives

Started by Quote58, April 19, 2012, 09:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alisa Orlova

My first room.
[Spoiler][/spoiler]

FullOfFail

Your first room? That's extremely impressive. You must've studied level design. Keep hacking.

Jiffy

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Fixed.

JamieWebb16

Back to entering ROTW again:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quietus

Whoo!  Loads of rooms this week.

Quote: The tileset seems to work quite well, though those larger squares with the black background seem to stand out as being obviously square.  Maybe some better blending?
Ailsa: You seem to have a firm grasp of using that tileset.  Your next challenge will be varying the filler tiles to avoid larger areas of rock looking odd. :^_^:
Hawntah: You seem to have a firm grasp of your long shaft (titter).  I'm not sure if the tileset allows much tinkering, but all of the platforms stand out as being the same, and it ruins the natural feel of the room.
Jamie: Nice, simple room.  It's a shame that that tileset doesn't have some better meshing.  It's almost like they threw it in as an afterthought. :neutral:

personitis

Quote from: Jefe962 on May 17, 2014, 02:02:12 PM
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Fixed.
Quote from: person701 on May 16, 2014, 08:57:41 PM
* person701 goes click crazy on Jefe's spoiler
I SEE NO IMAGE!!!!
Public linking must be really difficult or something this week.

Jiffy

snarfblam

Retroo

Quietus

Despite a great choice, nothing really jumped out at me this week.  Alisa gets my vote.  It's well built, and uses nice colours.  It could probably do with a lightened background, just for some contrast.

Vismund Cygnus

A lot of rooms means a lot of criticisms:
[spoiler=Squish]I like how you've used vanilla Crateria well, it's original and uses more of the tileset than most people would be willing to. I dislike how abruptly the moss ends on corners sometimes though.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Me]This palette is shit, but that's what happens at 3:30am.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=DSO]Decent room, but the bottom part confuses me. You've got some weird M.C. Escher stuff going on where there's columns in front of and behind the lower line of spiky blocks, yet all of them are supporting the platform. I'm sure if I look at it from another angle the illusion will break.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Quote]This room is pretty bland. I don't have much to say about it, except that it's quite repetitive and those big 4*4 squares could be blended in better.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Hawntah]I am biased against Fusion and ZM, so my usual criticism is unfair. I will say that the repetition of that same platform irks me though. Nice tiling overall, but again, I dislike Fusion's graphic style in general.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Alisa]That's either Redesign's Crateria palette or you've done a good job of copying it. The pipes in the room seem overused in my opinion, and there's this one thing in particular that bothers me. You've copied and pasted this same formation over and over again:

It bothers me, and it's all I can see when I look at the room. Also, that background could do with some brightening, it's too dark for the foreground in my opinion.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Jefe]That tileset can be so much more and I think you've really underdone it. My suggestion would be to mix in some of the Kraid area tiles. It's not bad, but it's not stand out either.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Jamie]Good layering, good palette, and good tiling overall, given the limitations of the tileset. Nicely done overall.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Snarf]That's really fucking cool. Nice palette, this room makes me wanna get my NEStroid on. I hate M1.[/spoiler]

Alisa Orlova

Will i get a cutest mark above my avatar if i win? I don't want a rockets or other useless belongings, i want a "grapple beam" icon. And godlike status. This forum has such a status? :heheh:

Quietus

I remember we had a discussion a long time ago about the different icons, which change according to post counts.  I think it was agreed that we could have more icons, but that they were made in a certain way, and Bloodsonic (I think?) wasn't available to make them.  Something like that anyway. :^_^:

Vismund Cygnus

I wish I got a new icon every time I won  :cry:

Quietus

There are only so many icons to go round, Vismund. :^_^:

MetroidMst

And there are still contest/top hack awards yet to be made/given out. A RotW badge would be kind of silly, since it would change nearly every week. (Unless it was just an accruing number depicting how many weeks have been won by said user.)

While there certainly were a decent bunch of rooms, and a very strong entry from a first timer, only one used bubbles. Snarf knows how to do the rooms, even with less of those graphics that make the game good. (OMG, GRFX SO GUD! GAYM MUS B AWZUM!!!!111)

FullOfFail

Alisa, if you want an award, your best bet is to compete and possibly win the Mini-Contest Tournament. I'm not sure if it was ever specified that there is an icon award associated with it, but I'm sure it can be arranged. Metconst also has a yearly Top Hacks contest, which would be another way of getting one.

craighypheno

I wanted to be different so I went for Quote this week.

The room was... Eerie.

Retroo

Retroo

start learning maridia tileset
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Vismund Cygnus

Start learning Norfair instead sillies.
[spoiler=#myfirsttime]

This thing tiles like shit.[/spoiler]

Jiffy

Wish me luck.

[spoiler][/spoiler]