News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Introduce Yourself!

Started by Phazar, May 17, 2009, 05:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alter_Arrow

Ey, what's popping gamers? It's ya boy, ALTER_ARROW back at it again with another forum post. Gotta show my love of the best game ever made [SUPER METROID]. Know  what I'm saying bruh?

Hackmi

TRUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RELEATABLE!

Quietus

'Fo shizzle, dawg', or some such linguistic artistry.

FelixWright

How do you do fellow teenagers?

Quietus

Teenager?!

Well, I guess they do say "you're only as old as the woman you feel", so I guess that's true. :colonrightv:

Hackmi

i put the bling in hacking metroid.
i meant
i maen
uhhhh

Draconic

Huh. I guess I've posted on the Discord server but never got around to posting here.

So, uh... hi. I'm Draconic. I write Fate/ (ie Fate/stay night, Fate/Grand Order etc.) fanfiction.

I'm learning programming, but right now, the only thing that would make me valuable around here at the moment would be a theoretical ability to write Chozo Lore or Pirate Logs for a Prime hack.

Quietus

I wrote a log once. It was about dendrology, and it had multiple branches.

Freyhia

Hi everibody!
I am new here for about 10 minutes.
First, I love Metroid, i can't stop playing it! That's why I'm here.
After discovering quite all 2d metroids, I interested myself in rom hacks, and wow, there is so many stuffs!
So I will keep an eye on metroids hacks, and I want to keep discovering the game again and again, with rom hacks!
I have 15 years old and live in France, so sorry if my english is bad!
And welcome!!!

croissant bug

Hi I'm new here too. (posting so I can rate hacks lol)

Sapphron

Feel free to rate as many unrated hacks as you want  :grin:

Quietus

So, we have someone from France, someone named croissant, and an alternate version of saffron, which is something that used to be widespread in France. Smells like an invasion to me!  :heheh:

Welcome! Enjoy your stay. :^_^:

Edit: Slight rewording.

DARK_DOOM

Hello,

I am from France too ! I played super metroid 2 years ago for the first time. Since that, I played all 2d official release and I want more !
This website is amazing and I am very gratefull for all the works put into those very goods hacks.

Thanks a lot :-)

Mentlegen

Welcome Freyiha and Dark Doom!

If you have any questions about getting started, feel free to ask me!

Miker3.0

Hola gente bonita :)

Me acabo de unir a esta hermosa comunidad, desde hace mucho descargo hacks de metroid aqui,
y siempre me a surgido una duda, desde cuando existe la pagina? :D

FelixWright

de que página estás hablando?

Fercho

Primero que nada hola a todos.  :^_^:

La verdad me gusta mucho Metroid y los hacks que ha creado  esta comunidad, no creo hackear algún Metroid porque es algo bastante laborioso.

También me gustan los juegos de Super Mario, Portal, Smash, entre muchos otros pero usualmente no tengo tiempo para jugar ya que estudio y trabajo. En fin es todo lo que tengo que decir.

EpicSlayer7

hi, i am EpicSlayer7.666, i do end up just settling for Epicslayer7 and also, with a name like that i kind of become the "Epic Failure" if lose... meaning most of the time, since i kind of rusted in gaming proficiency, i had no internet from 2007 to 2017... meaning i kind of over played a lot of old games and am clueless in newer ones...

anyhow, i spent that time modding Crysis so much it basically was a bit too much realistic... (not just physics but considering nanobots, even that a 24 hour for full health would be serious cancer right?) to the point that even tho i beat it, no one has 10 years to spend beating ONE GAME! tho i enjoy the mods made on this site very much, i had also Super Metroid and other games on the Emulator to keep time less boring... and boy, did i become a Ninja on Zsnes Super Metroid, i did wall jump exercises to keep my mind responsive! lol (the part next to the ship, trying to get in and escape using only wall jumps.) tho that makes me unable to play with newer emulators since they lag a ton no mater how OP the PC running it is...

i might only end up making a soft physics mod (to mimic real life gravity) or a full blown one but i am not going to sprout this in a month... more like a year since i may work on and off... i did the same for mods on Crysis, Factorio, BeamNG.Drive, Automation, Space Engineer... i take my time tuning things till they work and represent an acceptable state before i call it done... problem is any further progress is a ton slower since i knew what i wanted from the start...

i also make music but only metal, i have tons of MIDI but i am never going to form a band... i actually did not pick up the guitar since 2017. (my first YouTube video in years) well i am getting close to 35 (34 in september) so half my life is gone, the "dream phase" of my life is gone so i have to enter the "realist phase" of it i guess! (accept you can't do every thing and do what you can and have fun! the next phase is old age and pain and deteriorating so... i really should start having fun!)

also i am a bit prone to not notice emotions so i pretend to have some by painting every sentence with a "lol" to look more "human" and less "robotic". i do have emotions but they are REALLY dim and only serves as a hint... not really much i can do about it. so prowling with logic is all i can do!

Elminister

Hello there,

I go by Elminister - based on the whimsical Forgotten Realms arch-mage.  The spelling is intentionally a little different because (a) the original was taken everywhere and (b) as a teacher minister fits me better than musician.

I've been casually speed running Super Metroid for years.  Recently I saw the streamer OatsnGoats playing rom hacks from this website and had to try them myself.  After beating a bunch of amazing hacks I'd love to give back to this amazing site a little through feedback/ratings for now.  Perhaps at some point down the road I'll work on an original romhack.

Cheers!

MysticLord

I never played any Metroid game (except Castlevania SOTN), and I was told that Hyper Metroid was worth playing. I'm playing it right now, but I have no idea what most of the controls beyond moving, jumping, and shooting are. Anyone care to help?

FelixWright

Quote from: MysticLord on August 27, 2020, 04:33:28 AM
I never played any Metroid game (except Castlevania SOTN), and I was told that Hyper Metroid was worth playing. I'm playing it right now, but I have no idea what most of the controls beyond moving, jumping, and shooting are. Anyone care to help?

To start with, the elephant in the room...you may want to start by playing the original game, Super Metroid. Kind of funky to start off playing a full hack instead of vanilla. The controls should be something you can view and customize after selecting a save file, before loading into the game.

MysticLord

Quote from: Cosmic on August 27, 2020, 04:43:28 AM

To start with, the elephant in the room...you may want to start by playing the original game, Super Metroid. Kind of funky to start off playing a full hack instead of vanilla. The controls should be something you can view and customize after selecting a save file, before loading into the game.
Very helpful and useful response. While my posts will probably never be as good as yours here is, if anyone in a similar situation wants to know how to activate the morph ball, simply press down twice while in the air or on the ground. The more obvious controls which you can figure out by randomly pressing buttons are found in the load save menu, as he stated above (and which I pointed out that I had already figured out).

FelixWright

Very helpful and useful response.

I'm not trying to be a dick. The hack takes for granted that you know the controls, how things work, advanced movement, etc. All I'm saying is, Hyper Metroid isn't an improvement hack, it's an entirely different take of Super Metroid rather than an improvement hack, such as Project Base. That doesn't make it bad, just not a great place to start imo.

While my posts will probably never be as good as yours here is, if anyone in a similar situation wants to know how to activate the morph ball, simply press down twice while in the air or on the ground. The more obvious controls which you can figure out by randomly pressing buttons are found in the load save menu, as he stated above (and which I pointed out that I had already figured out).

People already know how these things work. This here is why I would recommend that you play the original game, Super Metroid. In Super Metroid, whenever you obtain a new powerup, you learn what the controls of the item are. Because Hyper Metroid is a romhack directed at people who already know Super Metroid's controls, they are ommitted. The level design of Super Metroid is also used to teach you how things work through subtext.

Tundain

Hello, i'm Tundain.

I got into hacking when i discovered sm romhacks.
After that i discovered more, until the day i found out you could hack sm yourself.
Then i decided that that was what i really wanted to do.

Other than sm hacks, i like to play metroidvanias like axiom verge, hollow knight.

So that's me, and hopefully my hacks won't suck!

alexman25

Quote from: Tundain on September 02, 2020, 04:14:17 PM
Hello, i'm Tundain.

I got into hacking when i discovered sm romhacks.
After that i discovered more, until the day i found out you could hack sm yourself.
Then i decided that that was what i really wanted to do.

Other than sm hacks, i like to play metroidvanias like axiom verge, hollow knight.

So that's me, and hopefully my hacks won't suck!

We're happy to have you. Don't rush, commit to one project at a time, start small at first, and your hacks should turn out fine.