News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Introduce Yourself!

Started by Phazar, May 17, 2009, 05:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietus

I watched one of your videos.  You seem to have a voice that fits OK with the idea of let's plays.  I'm not a fan of the wacky voices and crazy moments, but I also understand that some of the most popular let's players on Youtube do the same, so it clearly seems to work.  Anyway, you seem to be doing OK, so keep it up. :^_^:

Jordan5

I just subscribed to your channel and I'm really enjoying your playthrough of stardust  :^_^:

One thing I'd say, try not to use savestates in your videos unless it's like a challenge hack or whatever. I watch a lot of ShyGuyExpress/MetroidMST's videos and I don't know about anyone else but it's nice to see them die once in a while :wink:

But aside from that you're doing great, keep up the good work! :grin:

Quietus

I guess it depends on whether or not you're playing a hack you don't know, but this is why I always play on ZSNES.  The rewind feature prevents me falling foul of a permastuck, and means I don't need to use states.

Jordan5

Thats the exact reason I use ZSNES too, it's saved me quite a few times. The issue is it being unnecessary, like powerboming a room for secrets, finding nothing and reloading a state so you don't lose any powerbombs; it seemed pointless as you had like 20-30 of them. I'm probably just being picky but it's something you might want to think about  :^_^:

EDIT: it was especially frustrating when because of reloading a state you missed a secret which you spent another whole video looking for  :lol:

Quietus

Yeah, that's borderline cheating. :^_^:

aliceif

So, hi there.
I have been playing romhacks of games (mostly Sonic-related) for quite a long time now and recently got into playing Super Metroid Hacks (even though I have been watching both MetroidMST's and Eppy37's videos for (literally) years already).
I probably won't post too much in here, though.
And for whatever reason I can't really get into modding/hacking games myself at all. I tried doing some Doom I/II modding in the past, though, but it kind of overwhelmed me and in the end I never really finished anything. And Super Metroid looks even more intimidating in terms of complexity from what I have seen.
My first encounter with Metroid was watching a playthrough of Super Metroid in around 2007 or so, and in 2009 I finally got the first and third game (on the Wii VC). I know that it's kind of late, but I didn't really play console games at all (nor really cared about them) in general until 2006/2007.
I am a lot better at playing Super Metroid with a keyboard than with a controller for whatever reason ...
My favorite SM hack right now is "Airy", the third one I ever played, unless you count all the times I played randomizer-made "hacks". My first one was "So Little Time", and I really appreciate its unique sense of creativity.

Quietus

Regarding Airy: It looks like a new hack from the creator of Oxide, which was pretty well received in the hacking community, especially for Barf Kraid. :^_^:

You can grab it from Cyclamen32's page here.

Oh, and welcome. :^_^:

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: aliceif on August 22, 2013, 07:56:57 AM
My first one was "So Little Time"
:whoa:
You're the bravest person I've ever met.
Quote from: aliceif on August 22, 2013, 07:56:57 AM
I really appreciate its unique sense of creativity.
:O_o:
Or maybe you're just insane.
If that's the case, you'll probably fit in perfectly. Welcome aboard!

DemickXII

I should introduce myself now after being here for a while. DemickXII is my screen name, which combines first name (Dennis) with middle name (Michael) somehow. Don't know where the hell that "XII" came from - maybe just to keep my combo name unique and free from that ever annoying "this handle is already taken" malarkey. So yeah. That's my name - don't wear it out. ;) Actually I could really care less...

Anyhoo, I am responsible for "'Roidz": a NESTroid hack which is more of an enhancement than anything else. I have learned a ton here, and had it not been for people such as Infinity's End, Snarfblam, and anyone else I forgot to mention, I don't think I would even KNOW how to have gone about it all. The community here is... well.. what word is worthy of the greatness that is MetConst? Even the Mods are awesome here!

Well, enough ass-kissing and shit-eating grins. :grin: I SAID ENOUGH SHIT-EATING GRINS! <clears throat>

So... Hobbies.

- Starting to learn programming in C++ and some assembly (so far the m68k). Can understand where something is in hex just by observing patterns and debugging - fun times and tedious. How is that a hobby? It's a form of programming, just playing with bytes and bits instead of typing out a script that can be turned into bits and bytes anyway through compiling.

- DOOM level, graphics, music, FM patches, sounds, and ZDOOM script... modifications. And yeah, I enjoy kicking back and fending off the hordes of Hell just by playing the game too.

- Well, hacking just about any hackable game there might be. Almost got into hacking Sonic 2, but it seems intimidating. Metroid and its derivatives seem more fun to hack, seeing as placing dear Samus Aran in a myriad of different scenarios, and seeing her rise above her circumstances, seems much more interesting to me than trying to figure out how to not get Sonic stuck in a piece of scenery he is not supposed to get stuck in. That, and it's more advanced than Mario games, which are really fun to hack btw. I turned Mario into a Pikachu and changed the mushroom kingdom into the Pokemon universe, and changed Bowser into a Blastoise (though the hack remains unfinished). That was per request of my nephew at the time.

- I can draw freehand too. I have done charcoal drawings, pencil drawings and felt-tip pen drawing, but my favorite medium is Sharpie on paper - dat Sharpie smell...

- Portal 2's Perpetual Testing initiative has seen my mark. On steam, I am known as Demick12 there too. Check out Full Course if you have Portal 2 and can access the community maps. For my profile picture, the companion cube is done in Voxel using Ken Silverman's Voxel tool Slab 6.

So, for now I leave you with one of my lovely artworks:

Quietus

Always good to see a talented artist in any form.  I've always wanted to be able to draw well with the most basic of instruments - pencil on paper.  I see some people's work, and feel instant pangs of jealousy. :<_<:

Quote from: DemickXII on August 24, 2013, 11:36:04 PMActually I could really care less...
This Americanism still baffles me.  It only really works with stress on the could, I guess with italics.  Say what you mean, people! :oh:

snarfblam

Good to see you're still around Demick.

Frozelar

So uh, hi!  I'm Frozelar, and new to the site... apparently.  I'm pretty new to Super Metroid hacking (though I'm very experienced with Super Mario World ROM hacking), as I've just downloaded SMILE a couple days ago and have just been messing around in it.  If anyone has any pointers or tips for starting out or knows of any helpful tutorials (been looking around and haven't found a whole lot), I'd love to hear about it.  Making a Super Metroid hack seems super neat to me, as the game itself is really awesome.

I'll try to be active but I'm usually not that good at it.

I really like this guy   :heheh:

Thanks!

Smiley

Welcome to MetConst. It's always nice to see new people. :^_^:

There are plenty of different documents on the main site to get you started. There's also the Engine Works section on the forum and the IRC channel if you need help with something. The best way to start out with Super Metroid hacking is doing exactly what you're doing, which is just messing around in SMILE. Remember to always make back-ups, because you're bound to break a few ROMs when you're just starting out. And when you've been hacking SM for half a decade. And when *insert action here*.

I hope we get to see some neat content by you sometime in the future.

Frozelar

Heh, thank you!  Experimenting in SMILE is actually more fun than I thought it would be.

I'm actually taking ASM lessons, if you want to call them that, so who knows... maybe I'll be able to make something useful in the future.  Or something.

Also man this forum has really great smilies   :nope:

Quote58

I'd suggest getting the basics of hacking with smile down before asm but that's just a suggestion.
If you have asm questions or whatever you can check #jmp on esper and if I'm there I'll do what I can. Otherwise there's also #metconst and #cloudirc but those aren't specifically for asm
welcome and all that.

Vismund Cygnus

Welcome aboard. To reinforce on what all the others have said, the easiest way to learn to use SMILE, is to use SMILE. I'm somewhat new myself and I'd say that's how I learnt how to do it. Just screw around, make a few rooms, show them off in RotW to get some feedback and hopefully lead to improvements.  :^_^:
There's also a lot of really useful guides on the main site (I found this one particularly helpful when I first started), and I'd definitely recommend checking out the IRC if you've got questions.
Anyway, hoping that you stick around, because we could use some more asm guys!  :lol:

FullOfFail

Pretty much what they said, make back-up, break roms experimenting. I just went into the IRC and asked a thousand newbie questions, and well, still do that to this day. I took a short break, but I'm back now in #metconst or #cloudirc if you need any help getting started in SMILE. The ASMz is over my head for the most part, but it'll probably be awhile before you need to get into that anyway. Unless you need something really specific, the patches section on the main site usually has you covered.

Jordan5

Like Vismund I'm pretty new here and spent a few months just messing around with smile to see what happens (and all the different ways to corrupt roms). After a while you get used to using a tileset and seeing what looks good using it. Almost all the help you'd ever need is in the engine works or the main site. The more I got in to hacking the more I found Grime's documents really helpful, i almost always have his site open when I'm using smile.

Good luck with hacking and hopefully you'll release something awesome in the future  :^_^:

Frozelar

Thank you for all the kind words and advice!  This seems to be a really friendly community.

Quietus

Welcome, Frozelar.

Kind of repeating what others have said, but I'm just gonna copy and paste this reply I made elsewhere, as it's all in one place.
Quote1. Read Person701's beginner's guide to SMILE
2. Read the Moonedit FAQ
3. Check the Common Q&A

Enjoy your stay. :^_^:

SpoOkyMagician

Hi, I am known as "SpoOkyMagician". I was just kind of curious so, I thought I'd register on here. I know a bit here and there with SMILE but, not a lot. I am a programmer so I understand a lot about software and whatnot. (Although, I have little experience in game design.) I do know about tilesets, palettes, sprites, etc. though. I probably need to read/watch some more videos about SMILE though. I understand some of it but, not everything.

Anyway, I know mainly MetroidMST and his friends from their hacks. (Watch them on video elsewhere and whatnot.) I am tempted to make a decent SM hack someday... I have made a one room hack for fun/experiment but it's nothing special. (Landing Site)

Quietus

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason behind the capital 'O'?

Also, welcome, and for getting started, see my previous post. :^_^:

SpoOkyMagician

Well, I did it ages ago for other profiles. I did it for a o_O joke. (aka smily:  :O_o:)

I am reading over the guide(s) atm as well. Thanks for the links.

Darkonomicon

Darkonomicon!
Anyway hello everyone I am a new member and I'd to like to say hello (Allready did)
So yeah.

Quietus

Welcome to the forum, Darkonomicon. :^_^:

Is the name Evil Dead related by any chance?