News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2012 - Archives

Started by Zhs2, July 03, 2010, 12:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

passarbye

Quote from: Mon732 on April 03, 2012, 11:59:16 AM
Just so that Shadow isn't lonely. This is from an unfinished hack that I may or may not complete.
[spoiler=WARNING: Quality not guaranteed][/spoiler]
needs more slopes on the inside part, and less on the outside.
overall, i think the layout is pretty good, but there isn't a door, or obvious entry point to judge how i would go about traversing it.
i like it, regardless of the current state of non-completeness.

Mon732

Quote from: passerbyebut there isn't a door, or obvious entry point to judge how i would go about traversing it
I forgot to explain that, sorry.

[17:02] <MetroidMst> I see no doors in or out of that room.
[17:02] <Mon732> It's how that hack worked.
[17:02] <MetroidMst> That would be... Interesting.
[17:02] <Mon732> You baisically chose a room then survived as long as possible.
[17:03] <MetroidMst> That is a different idea.
[17:03] <Mon732> Each room would have Charge Beam, One other Beam, and a few items.

Also you spawn in the middle on one of the platforms.

Quietus

Black Falcon

Voted Shadow.
Everything's been said about Shadow's tileset already, nothing to add.
Good job, keep it up!  :yay:

Antidote

Quote58

So hi.
Well, I like the idea of Mon732s room, but it needs a lot of work. As well a lot more practice with that tileset.
But keep working at it.
My room isn't great. Not in terms of gfx, but in terms of I didn't even finish it. There's still a ton more to add to that tileset and I could have done a lot more with that room.
But I do love the tileset, so Oh well.

FullOfFail

I've already talked to Shadow96 before about his tileset in the IRC, so I'll just talk to Mon. I like the layout of the room, but it just lacks detail. There's multiple variations of the rock tiles that should be used for shading, or to just mix it up. Crateria is a simple tileset, so you need to find creative ways to make subliminal landmarks so the players know 'Oh, I've been here before' Otherwise it'll just seem like a maze. It could be as small as the piping, or the black-cliffs.

Zero One

Well, here's my submission:

MetroidMst

[spoiler=Teh Garbage MY EYES!][/spoiler]

[spoiler=In Teh Actions]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4JraiQU0a8[/spoiler]

Yuki

Quick question. I will be using custom tilesets and brand new room design in my Metroid fangame. Once work begins on that, would I be allowed to submit a room from that to rotw?

Zhs2

Quote from: squishyYou may submit any 2D Metroid related screenshots here as long as you follow the rules.

DSO

[13:19]<MetroidMst> Your work? You didn't even touch anything.

K, here's the room after I didn't touch anything. This is officially MM's submission now, since he doesn't want to credit me.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

passarbye

Quote from: poke2mon3 on April 07, 2012, 11:28:45 AM
Quick question. I will be using custom tilesets and brand new room design in my Metroid fangame. Once work begins on that, would I be allowed to submit a room from that to rotw?
Quote from: squishyYou may submit any 2D Metroid related screenshots here as long as you follow the rules.

this will probably motivate me to do more maps/rooms for our fan-game.
(just letting poke know)
and also, i'm liking the competition so far!  :lol:

ProjectXVIII

[spoiler][/spoiler]

How many votes do I receive?

Yuki

Here's my entry. I took advantage of GameMakers layers, and made a Lower Norfair room.

Qactis

Quote from: MetroidMst on April 07, 2012, 11:17:53 AM
[spoiler=Teh Garbage MY EYES!][/spoiler]

Your usage of that tileset has made me fall in love with it. Your forum banner has me in awe too

Zhs2

Quote from: poke2mon3
Here's my entry. I took advantage of GameMakers layers, and made a Lower Norfair room.
I posted it on IRC, but just to beat Quietus to the punch...

[spoiler=tiling][/spoiler]

Quote58

Well, if we can vote now, we can critique now.
So, time for another long winded review of the rooms by yours truly.

ZeroOne
[spoiler]Okay, so first I'll say what I like about it. It looks great as a transition room, good atmosphere there. The custom tiles are really quite good. The fit perfectly. Awesome job there.
But then there's the fact that the background is the same palette as the foreground. And the fact that the background is well, not very good. As well, the square mass of blocks in the left side is set up rather badly. And frankly, I think it needs more/better slopes. The first major slope in the room looks to sharp and well, not great. I suggest you try your hand at making custom longer slopes.
Aside from all this, it still looks good.[/spoiler]

MetroidMst
[spoiler]All irc smack talk aside, I think your room isn't as good as I would've expected from you. Although there are parts that are very well detailed, the room on a whole is a little underwelming. And many tiles feel too similar. You have however, used grimes tileset much better than a lot of people. I could never make anything very good with it, so I'm glad you can make it look so good in parts of the room.[/spoiler]

Project
[spoiler]Well, it looks like a room now, that's a start. But I'd never vote for a joke room.[/spoiler]

Pokemon
[spoiler]Um, as much as I'd like to, I honestly have nothing good to say about this room.
You were using game maker, so you could have had literally as many layers as you wanted, and whatever gfx you felt like, and you choose to use super metroid gfx with only three layers. This room could have been made in smile in half the time with far better layering. I'm sorry this sounds so critical, but you have a long way to go with level design. Also, tiling errors everywhere as zeke already pointed out. Also, the room is very empty. Not much there.
[/spoiler]

Moi
[spoiler]Well, I do like this room, I think it really feels like a chozo ruins or at least ruins entrence. The top of the room is a little unappealing, and the tileset still has much to add, but on the whole, the room looks good.[/spoiler]

James
[spoiler]Superb. Absolutely superb. Perfect atmosphere, amazing gfx, this is outstanding. I love what you've done with that tileset.[/spoiler]

So there you have it. Interesting room selection this week.

*And Poke2mon3, I know this is your first rotw, and I may seem mean, but my criticism is constructive. You have a long way to go with level design and I'm sure you'll improve greatly in your next rotws. Just keep practicing.

DSO

[spoiler]
ZeroOne:
It's not terrible, but there's something just... wrong about that palette that I don't like. Maybe increase the level of shading or just darken the palette a big in general. The "foreground-background" palette doesn't fit with this purple either. The grass can work but it's not great. The custom tiles are a nice touch, but the room design itself leaves a little to be desired. I've never really liked the look of multiple slopes in a row like that. All told, the room works, but it's not a great room.

MetroidMst/Myself:
I love this room, and a lot of the other rooms built with this tileset, but that is because I know the things about this room that a picture can't tell you. Ignoring the fact that the unused space of the room tends to detract from it visually, there's cool stuff, but only one part of it stands out as really interesting for a RoTW contest and that is, of course, my lovely ripper enemy graveyard with the vines on the bottom left. /narcissism
Also MM is an idiot for smack talking.

ProjectXVIII:
Simple, yet fuctional. This is the kind of thing that makes one say "Now this is a room!". I can't say enough about the custom GFX, I've never seen anything look so hi-res in Super and that's saying a lot considering the talents of the Red Kennon Dragon or the GF Monkey. However, I do not like the greens in the palette, and also I'm confused about where the acid level is supposed to be. Is it supposed to be high? Is it supposed to be low? I can't figure it out, every time I look it's in a different location, and before then it was only present on the left side of the room. I do want to know how you set up that block puzzle, that is an original idea and I'm surprised no one else has thought of that yet. Also I think the plants need to be a *bit* greener, but give them yellow for blood. Blue blood is overdone and I'd like to see something original from you for once.

poke2mon3:
Tiling errors have been pointed out before, so all there is for me to say is that the room looks boring and empty. It needs more variety, and you made the whole room out of background palette tiles, so now it looks to me like they're walking on BG. But when some of those BG paletted tiles go through the door, and it makes my brain go "huh?"

Shadow:
I like these GFX and I like this room. I just wish the room had some kind of distant looking jungle background, because I don't like all the blackness in the BG that accompanies it. That's the only negative I'm capable of expressing here.

GF_Kennon:
A WINRAR IS YOU, GIVE THIS TILESET TO ME, I'LL PUT IT TO GOOD USE. This room kinda looks like it belongs in Donkey Kong Country 2, but it is awesome. I WILL MAKE IT MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE! Are those blue screens ripped from Metroid Prime? SERIOUSLY GIMME OR I'LL GIVE U A BLUE SCREEN!
[/spoiler]

Quietus

Shadow for me.  I'm not overly keen on excessive use of the plant life, but the tileset is nice even without the plants.

Also:
Quote from: Zhs2I posted it on IRC, but just to beat Quietus to the punch...
I don't know what you're talking about. :oh:

Qactis

I'm in love with shadow's room and tileset, but as I've discussed with him on IRC, the BG leaves something to be desired, and needs more in it. James gets my vote

Parabox

Kennon, why must you have the best tileset?

Zhs2

There's too much blurriness and customfagging going on in James' tileset. Therefore, I vote for Shadow.

Quote58

Hello world!
So I made a video to show the fx1 and enemies and such in my rotw. Not that the room needs it, I made it to put on youtube, but I might as well show it here so you can get a better idea of the atmosphere.
[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cae5cO9H79E&context=C492b7ecADvjVQa1PpcFMrdKhI1llB8iFT_nVYHqAtTZhaK12VYL4=[/spoiler]

Black Falcon

Voted Shadow.
Kennon's tileset looks good but it doesn't fit into Super Metroid's style imo.
Also I'm not really a fan of tilesets like this.

Oh and Shadow...
[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadow96 on April 06, 2012, 12:45:49 PM
Black Falcon, I tried GB music but it didn't fit at all. It was annoying because that's my second favourite track in the game.
As I can see in your vid, you changed your mind for the better.
I hope you won't change it back. :^_^:[/spoiler]